Dublin Coffman 2019

Coffman RB Shaun Jones 2007-2009

The scene was Gahanna High School and round two of the 2007 Central Region play-offs vs. Pickerington Central . It was a cold night and the parking was tight as the crowd filed in. Parked across the street from the front entrance. Remembering walking up to the ticket window and seeing a handful of kids with Louisville letter jackets on . Funny what you remember over 10 years ago . Also noticed after getting into the stadium , Davidson jackets walking towards the visitors side { Davidson suffered a rare 7-3 non play-off year, which Coffman would duplicate themselves the next year }

The visitors side was then on the west side and smaller than the now visitors side which is on the east side of the stadium. Coffman was the visitor as the 3 seed to PC'S 2 seed . Stands were pretty full as we entered. My young daughter was with me as we sat with her friend from school who had 2 brothers on the team along with other friends with kids on the team . On the old huddle there was some good banter going on as both fan bases were pretty confident going in . Some good smack talk back and forth as I remember . I recall thinking that PC might be a year away and didn't have quite enough to beat Coffman , but would be really good the next year . They were. They won the region and lost to Elder 24-14 in the state Semi. Lost their war horse and leader Zach Boren in that one and the game slipped away after that .

Coffman had some size advantages in this one and was more Senior oriented. Huge passing attack with Zack Stoudt{ Louiisville, Ole Miss transfer} putting up record numbers that year throwing to a great stable of receivers including Ohio State recruit and a few year NFL guy Jake Stoneburner. Coffman's second play from scrimmage Stoudt hit Stoneburner over the middle on a slant and Jake did the rest rambling 56 yards running through a tackle on his way to the end zone . Stunned silence from the PC home side that was over 80 percent filled [Coffman smaller visitor side was filled completely } Rocks starting RB was Jr. Jared Phillips and he had a very solid year as the main back in the one back Coffman spread.

Phillips was a bigger back at about 6-1 190 with decent speed and was a productive player. He took a few big shots early on as the Rocks offense stalled a bit . Game stayed 7-0 towards the end of the first half but the Tigers would score late to tie it on a pass at the back of the end zone to Pat White a D--1 Jr. athlete [DB- WR} . Second half starts and noticed that Phillips wasn't going back in as the shots he took included a hellacious one to his shoulder which would keep him out the rest of the season. The one thing the Rocks loaded Senior class { 5 power five recruits and a handful of other really solid kids and athletes who would go onto play football or other sports in college } didn't have was a starting level RB.

Enter Sophomore Shaun Jones who only was used sparingly as a back-up and accumulated 130 yards total for the season. Shaun was probably 5-9 160 and change at this point. Rocks got the ball and after being chided by the Rock faithful for not throwing the ball more in the first half when Phillips was taking his punishment , the Rocks coaching staff ignored the grumbles and came out and ran the ball with the seldom used Sophomore who ran behind a veteran unit who was using their size to give some creases to Jones who took advantage . Jones carried the ball 7 times on the 80 yard drive for 48 yards and scored from the 7 yard line to give the Rocks a 14-7 lead and they never looked back . Slot athlete Trey Fairchild off of an injury came through with a few first down catches , Stoneburner was a handful all night finishing with 7 catches for 163 yards .Jones ran another 8 times after that back breaking long drive finishing with 82 yards on 15 carries. Rocks rolled to a 35-9 win dominating the second half and Jones more than did his part really stepping up as a young back in a big game.

The next week the Rocks played Hilliard Darby who had their best team in school history { To this day as well} with stud athletes like QB Jeremy Ebert { Northwestern- Receiver } Powerful RB Jordan Richeson a 6-1 210 beast D-1 player , WR Robbie Anzuini and Georgia tech signee BJ Machen at LB . Jones was now RB 1 if you will . He had a solid game as the Panthers did a nice job overall vs the run on another cool night at the
'Marv " in Upper Arlington . Rocks relied more on the pass that night as the usual suspects of Stoneburner , { Another first drive long catch and run TD} and Fairchild did their thing { 2 TD'S} . Rocks up 28-21 4th quarter , Rocks ball after a Darby TD pass{ Ebert to Anzuini } gave them the momentum back and a glimmer of hope . Rocks give the ball to Newbie Soph. Scooby Jones and he gets through the wash on the LOS and leaps over the crowded second level players on the ground and takes off on a long game clinching TD run .

Darby did score another TD late with under a minute left but Rocks won 42-35 . On to St X the number 4 team in the nation which I have talked about many times , Rocks lost a heart breaker 10-7 finishing up 13-1 . Jones had a nice game ripping off a few good runs against a stacked ST X defense with more than a handful of D-1 recruits .

2008 was a year of a few 'Lasts" for the Rocks program . It was the last time the Rocks missed the play-offs and it was the last time the Rocks used a two back set in the backfield on a regular basis as Phillips and Jones shared the backfield . Jones was the main guy with the bigger less shifty Phillips used more as a blocker . They complemented each other very well with Jones hitting 1000 yards . Rocks lost three games to three play-off teams by a combined 15 points { Kilbourne by 10 in the worst game of the year, 4 to Davidson and a tough 7-6 loss to UA on a rainy night to knock them out of the play-offs with American Idols David Archuleta singing the National anthem} .

Coffman was back in the one back set in 2009 with Sr. RB Jones poised for a big Senior season as were the Rocks as a team. 10-0 regular season two play-off wins that I have talked about and will again and a tough loss to Davidson 22-7 as a - 3 TO margin and only 7 points on 285 yards of offense doomed them . Jones had an excellent year with 1145 yards and 11 Td's as the Rocks finished 12-1 and had a few key injury's that hurt them as well [Starting D-1 QB , first team all state LB } But Jones finished his career strong in the one back set and was a very productive and versatile performer running back kicks and could catch the ball out of the backfield and at about 5-10 180 his Senior year was a durable productive performer . He had 2693 career rushing yards . College career never really materialized despite his talent but definitely an All Time Rock RB in my era of following Coffman .

Last edited:
Yesterday was a big day for a couple of Coffman stars who committed to schools . DE Hammond Russell { 6-4 245 } an athletic Pass rusher with the ability to run down plays al over the field committed to West Virginia. Didn't see that one coming as Russell had over 20 offers including Kentucky Michigan State , Iowa State , Minnesota , Pitt , Purdue and Cincinnati . I do think the unknown dynamic of this season's recruiting limitations has hastened some kids around the country's decisions. Russell plays basketball and is a good example of not having to focus just on one sport as many kids do now and have for a while.

Russell had some monster games and some that were less than that quite frankly , so I think consistency is going to be a big goal of his season. Really took a big step from his Sophomore year and I think he along with the rest of the very talented Senior class is very motivated to get to the next step and take a swing at getting to the state level and taking a big swing at a heavyweight . Russell will be ever harder to block this year as his technique improves along with the physical aspect and motivation of the team goals. WVU may be a good fit for a natural pass rusher as we all know that conference is very pass happy and wide open with more pass attempts than any other conference . A true 7 on 7 type league where stud pass rushers can be really valuable in the pursuit of giving up less big plays downfield .

RB- CB/ S - Athlete Bryon Threats committing to Purdue wasn't a surprise . It was at the top of his list which was mirroring Russell's list . Kentucky I know really liked him . Cincy , Michigan State , Pitt, Iowa State , Boston College , West Virginia were among the suitors to name just a handful . The 5-10 190 pound athlete and playmaker on both sides of the ball had a visit in early March which was basically the last time recruits could get on campuses and that sealed the deal for the most part . Brohm staying put and not going back to his roots at Louisville has seemed to energize the staff and their energy and passion was what Threats apparently liked a lot. Threats is full of energy and is hungry . Purdue may be the right match as they try to move up a bit in the Big Ten pecking order .

Threats also is interested in engineering as a major and Purdue is one of the best ES in the country. I think this is a great fit in a variety of ways as they like his versatility and while they see him now as a RB to start wouldn't be adverse to using him in a few different ways . A great Kick returner as well. Bryon's tape jumps off the screen , many including myself feel he is a bit underrated . Even though he has been 'Blowing up" a bit after his great Junior year , he still I feel was underappreciated. His attitude , work ethic along with his physical gifts will make him a successful player at the next level and his character will make him a team leader and great teammate . The capper is Purdue is known to play True frosh more than some others as they try to build their program and Threats is a true warrior and competitor and won't like being on the sidelines for too long and this school I think will give him a great chance to play earlier than later. I had a few guys say after watching him play why OSU and other heavyweights weren't on this kid more.

Well at the top of the top they can be very picky , and a couple inches of height or a tenth of a second less in the 40 , or not quite the frame they like can deter them , they can get anyone they want. In the real world though and at OSU for instance it 's always the 4 or 5 star studs that rise to the next level and are the stars by the end of their careers . Too many examples to list over the last couple decades of some top recruits not panning out and the 3 star guy getting to the NFL and playing a star role for the Buckeyes . In Threats case the fact that he isn't 6 feet tall and not as blazing fast { He is FAST } or silky smooth in his movements as some of the 4 and 5 star guys that automatically get a look and get many chances to prove they that they Can't play based on ideal measureables , the 3 star guys are often hungrier , have a chip on their shoulder as they have to prove they CAN PLAY more than the 4 and 5 star guys do and end up being more productive players .

I have a feeling that the Buckeyes over the next few years will know who Threats is . Excellent choice and a great chance to play early with a building program . Just a couple guys I have watched at Coffman and thought this kid has a shot at not just D-1 but may be the NFL . He is on that short list.

Last edited:
Anybody know about these workouts that have been going on at Coffman the last week or two? Just saw some videos floating around social media looks like 15 or so kids, couple adults, practice equipment out. Not trying to start anything just wanted to know if people knew anything about it. Judging by what's been said on social media Coffman isn't involved, but its pretty curious how they
A. Are in the stadium
B. Have what appears to be football practice equipment out
and C. Who are the adults?

The video wouldn't play for me here. Kids making workout videos and posting them ? So what did you see on the videos ? I know you aren't trying " to start something" lol .

I thought OHSAA ordered all athletic facilities closed?
Obviously it is outside facility , where anyone can get in pretty easily and run on the track . I don't know of any football workouts going on . Kids especially football players are training in any way they can with whatever they have available to them in most places in most programs i would think .

The video wouldn't play for me here. Kids making workout videos and posting them ? So what did you see on the videos ? I know you aren't trying " to start something" lol .

There were a few more out there circulating, but looks like they've been taken down. This one probably has been too.

This video is panning around a portion of what clearly is Coffman's stadium, it is around 15-20 kids, looks like they're wearing cleats, gloves etc. and bags and dummies are visible. You can also see what looks like 3 adults, one you can see very clearly in a"Coffman Rocks" T shirt.

Another video that was out there showed many more dummies and cones looking like a dril set up and looked a lot like a standard football practice with different groups in different parts of the field

Just watched it . Not sure what I was looking at or importantly when this was shot , is there a date on it ?
Not sure the day it was shot, but these videos were posted in a two or three day span last week. This particular one was posted April 9.

Not sure the day it was shot, but these videos were posted in a two or three day span last week. This particular one was posted April 9.

I Know you aren't trying to make anything of tis and make anyone look bad { RIGHT } but saying there are more that were taking down , not saying who posted them , they were just floating around 'Out" there , blah blah , I mean it was posted at Columbus Lax? Not even any Lax being shown ? Could have been footage from anytime , posted last week doesn't mean it was going on last week . My college daughter goes to the track to run sometimes, just asked her if she participated ion the football drills , she said no . lol , Seriously , not cool and that it was posted at Columbus Lax looks a little suspicious , Coffman did win the state title last year , some one might not have liked that who posted this . Floating around huh?

Who are you and what school do you support.

There are a lot of tweets about it.
Obviously it is outside facility , where anyone can get in pretty easily and run on the track . I don't know of any football workouts going on . Kids especially football players are training in any way they can with whatever they have available to them in most places in most programs i would think .

So they can’t lock it up? In Pickerington we were told all facilities had to be closed by order of the OHSAA. No access to fields, tracks, gyms, etc.

And coaches are getting calls/texts from administrators to run kids off when they see them sneaking onto practice fields to run or shoot or take BP or whatever.

Attachments

• 929EB3A8-A87D-4561-B016-00E75BE00755.jpeg
    929EB3A8-A87D-4561-B016-00E75BE00755.jpeg
    765.1 KB · Views: 16
There are adults I see most days using MS or HS tracks to walk or run in various community's the last month when I've been out walking dog or driving , some kids , may be college or young kids sometimes . Posting and calling attention to clips like that which could be taken from anytime isn't cool . I know of no formal workouts going on here, truth be told and this goes for any school , I would never post online videos of things or tape them no matter what or tape them obviously . You have think that no coach certainly or even adult is going to organize a workout at this time right at the stadium ? How's it going Walt? Hope all is well , Tigers seem ready to re-load? QB ? Hopefully the season isn't affected or not played . Rocks probably have their best team since 2014 and potentially as good as the 2007 team who could play with anyone .

Just asking if anybody knew anything because I saw that out there and I'm sure others did too. Also thought it was strange coming from LAX and didn't see sticks or anything looking like LAX.

To answer your questions my name is David, I live in Johnstown and don't really support any school just follow the Central Ohio schools. I suppose as a 89 grad of St. Clairsville that's the closest thing to an allegiance I'd have.

So why post that here without direct knowledge WHEN the video was actually shot , exactly who was there ? Where it was posted ? And put it here

I live near the high school and my family has walked around the stadium a number of times. These workouts are happening. Adults are there. They seem to be in charge. I have called the district office and left a message. Have not seen anyone in the last couple days. The video that was shown was from last week. I walked into the stadium and saw this. Apparently the district wants the facility open for exercise. I have seen a high school lacrosse age team there and a youth soccer team conducting organized workouts. Also many personal training groups as well. The stadium is a "Corana Virus Free Zone" based on the way people are behaving there.

I live near the high school and my family has walked around the stadium a number of times. These workouts are happening. Adults are there. They seem to be in charge. I have called the district office and left a message. Have not seen anyone in the last couple days. The video that was shown was from last week. I walked into the stadium and saw this. Apparently the district wants the facility open for exercise. I have seen a high school lacrosse age team there and a youth soccer team conducting organized workouts. Also many personal training groups as well. The stadium is a "Corana Virus Free Zone" based on the way people are behaving there.

So you walk the track and see football workouts happening with coaches from the school do you? New Member huh? How did you happen upon this forum ? First post ?

You called the district why? Weren't you and your family also using the track inside the stadium MANY times? Were you calling them to turn yourself in ? I smell a load of rat and crap here.

You called the district why? Weren't you and your family also using the track inside the stadium MANY times? Were you calling them to turn yourself in ? I smell a load of rat and crap here.

I said I walked around the stadium, that is the paths and property outside the stadium. Not on the track. I did go in when I saw the workout and called the district office the next day. Never said coaches were there. I don't know the coaches. Just that there were adults. Not a member until today but have enjoyed reading your posts for a long time and from others who follow Coffman. This really bugs me and I thought I would reply when I saw others noticing what I have seen. We all need to be careful. Its tough on these kids that are trying to workout. They just need to spread out. There are acres of space around that stadium.

I said I walked around the stadium, that is the paths and property outside the stadium. Not on the track. I did go in when I saw the workout and called the district office the next day. Never said coaches were there. I don't know the coaches. Just that there were adults. Not a member until today but have enjoyed reading your posts for a long time and from others who follow Coffman. This really bugs me and I thought I would reply when I saw others noticing what I have seen. We all need to be careful. Its tough on these kids that are trying to workout. They just need to spread out. There are acres of space around that stadium.

Fair enough , it can be easy to be cynical when it comes to first time posters . I have seen soccer teams in a few communities look as though they were having a regular practice open fields, elementary school playgrounds and smaller groups working out together working on skills doing some drills, running sprints etc. It is a tough time in many respects for athletes who are trying to get better , stronger and faster without the same facilities .
When I was in high School I was fortunate enough to have a few teammates with really nice weight rooms in their basement and garage areas and had a nice group rate at a local gym to use in the summer { HS had a small area that was open in the summer and we didn't sue much except for the testing to see where we were strength wise a few times a year, different time then , a lot of schools including the top programs one of which I was blessed to be a part of didn't have great weight training facilities , but most had decent to very good ones at the local rec centers or Civic Centers and we had multiple private gyms we could join as a group .

I will say there is no way coaches are involved here ,and groups of kids getting together IS HAPPENING EVERYWHERE and I have no idea wo the kids were you say you saw and where they play .. I agree in general that aside from athletes there are some lax social distancing dynamics going on and as the weather warms up ? Fortunately social distancing IS working keep the numbers down and even with many facing some financial hardship , unfortunately 5-6 more weeks of this would escalate not only the flattening of the curve but really hasten getting back to 'normal " sooner. Going back too soon to more normal life especially in Cities would almost assuredly result in another spike of sick people and more fatal cases of this virus

Last edited:
Thanks Harry. We are not opponents in this. I've read enough of you stuff over the years to know that I would not have the time, energy or knowledge to debate you. The issues here are more than High School sports or football. Everyone just needs to do their part wherever they are to stay safe and keep others safe.

Many high school stadiums are open so people can walk and use the track. I am sure things like this are going on at a lot of places... adults should know better to be doing these things. But if this was at Kilbourne probably wouldn't be so much attention.

Many high school stadiums are open so people can walk and use the track. I am sure things like this are going on at a lot of places... adults should know better to be doing these things. But if this was at Kilbourne probably wouldn't be so much attention.

I think what needs to be said is if this type of thing was seen last week , the people shown were most likely NOT Coffman football players , college players are doing whatever they need to do to try to do what they need to do as well and many kids are HOME from college trying to stay in shape so I think personal coaches and college athletes are as likely or more likely to be seen in a group near or at HS facilities at a tim they are home and aren't able to use any gym or Rec center.

I know for a fact that in the summer former Coffman teammates who are playing in college do sometimes work out together at the stadium and the environs and that includes football players along with other athletes in other sports . So doesn't surprise me that this may be happening as well at this time

How's it going Walt? Hope all is well , Tigers seem ready to re-load? QB ? Hopefully the season isn't affected or not played . Rocks probably have their best team since 2014 and potentially as good as the 2007 team who could play with anyone .

Yes...the Tigers are reloading and have the potential to be pretty good again this year. A lot of kids return with experience as either starters or rotators who played significant minutes in meaningful situations.

About the only position that will be inexperienced is QB. Garner Wallace started at free safety and saw action at WR for us last year. He has a handful of D1 offers as an athlete. He’s probably taking over at QB this year and would have been the starter earlier but for the fact he had Meech in front of him.

Cant wait for this year- Coffman is loaded, Pick Central is loaded, you can never overlook Liberty, Orange, West Central. Pick North seems to have their best team since Jimmy Football left. Not to mention the OCC realignment and huge OOS games week1! Just keep your fingers crossed...

I just hope there is a year. Don't like hearing all this, may be delayed, may be shortened, may not have fall sports, may not open schools, all this guff. Just hope there isn't a big push for on line school to continue and phase out schools as we know them.

Cant wait for this year- Coffman is loaded, Pick Central is loaded, you can never overlook Liberty, Orange, West Central. Pick North seems to have their best team since Jimmy Football left. Not to mention the OCC realignment and huge OOS games week1! Just keep your fingers crossed...
Don’t forget about groveport

I just hope there is a year. Don't like hearing all this, may be delayed, may be shortened, may not have fall sports, may not open schools, all this guff. Just hope there isn't a big push for on line school to continue and phase out schools as we know them.

Well , of course this is a disheartening time for sure that can lend itself to thinking that this is the end of life as we once knew it. Well unfortunately we may have to bear more pain in terms of distancing and financial pain to more quickly start getting back to a more 'Normal " existence . My guess is we will probably make the wrong decisions we have already made and will have to start over again as we near fall.

I hope I'm wrong, but that seems to be the reality. The big rush to get back to 'regular life" will likely cause the fall to look different than it could have . A shortened season is better than no season at all and again , IF we are smart now and actually have a massive central federal testing and tracing campaign along with further social distancing things could look more normal and a season and school could be closer to normal. This is highly unlikely for obvious reasons so we probably are looking at another wave and more distancing and shut downs in the fall because our leadership looks at things from the short term . Now of course this state may be in a different place than others, but Dewine will probably be really cautious .

Right now what I see is a shortened season at best with limited fans if any ? Long term online schooling isn't sustainable .

There will either be a season or there wont be. There will not be a shortened season. If the Governor is not comfortable gathering until there is a cure or a vaccine, if there is not one that is well distributed in August or September, there will not be one in October either. Anyone who feels like there is going to be sports this calendar year is not listening to what Dewine is saying.

As for the practices at Coffman, I have no dog in the fight but I have seen the video and talked to people in the central office.
They were gathered with 20 current players on the 2020 Rocks Football team.
They were run by at least three adults, one was a parent volunteer for the varsity team, another is known as the Cookie Monster (I couldnt make this up if I wanted to)
Current wide receiver (senior to be) videoed the practice and posted it, this video was sent to central office.
They had been happening during the shutdown. Some people got word of them, and started to go watch, then video, then more did the same. There were several videos. I know that central office and OHSAA were both contacted and involved. This is not innuendo.

Before Harry gets mad and defensive, dont shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
There will either be a season or there wont be. There will not be a shortened season. If the Governor is not comfortable gathering until there is a cure or a vaccine, if there is not one that is well distributed in August or September, there will not be one in October either. Anyone who feels like there is going to be sports this calendar year is not listening to what Dewine is saying.

As for the practices at Coffman, I have no dog in the fight but I have seen the video and talked to people in the central office.
They were gathered with 20 current players on the 2020 Rocks Football team.
They were run by at least three adults, one was a parent volunteer for the varsity team, another is known as the Cookie Monster (I couldnt make this up if I wanted to)
Current wide receiver (senior to be) videoed the practice and posted it, this video was sent to central office.

Before Harry gets mad and defensive, dont shoot the messenger.

Not mad or defensive , it's not my team . You as a source ? No comment . No dog in the fight ? You are pretty constant critic so what would it look like if you did ? You say you are the messenger ? Who gave you this message? Why are you compelled to give this message?

Not mad or defensive , it's not my team . You as a source ? No comment . No dog in the fight ? You are pretty constant critic so what would it look like if you did ? You say you are the messenger ? Who gave you this message? Why are you compelled to give this message?

Ill try to answer your questions. If you have any more just shoot them out and Ill be happy to answer them. Ill try and be as direct as possible.

Regarding me as a source: You can take me as a source or not. It doesnt matter to me. I never thought I was 'outing' anyone. Im just giving facts as I have seen them and talked to administrators. I also know the kids and the adults involved, so I can identify them based on the videos.

Regarding having a dog in the fight: I have no dog in the fight. I havent been to critical lately. at least I cant remember being so. I have many friends involved with Coffman football. But that doesnt hide the reality of the culture of their program. Thats not being critical, thats being factual.

Regarding who gave me the message: I saw the videos. I think I have seen five different ones. Some from players on the team who were there and are seen in the videos. Some from Dublin community members who were concerned that this was happening. I also talked to Dublin City Schools Administration. Thats who I suppose 'gave me' the information. I dont think any of it was hidden, or if it was, it was not hidden well.

Regarding why am I compelled to give the message: I have nothing else to do right now and I was reading this thread, and you were asking about details of these videos, and I think trying to discredit those who were posting about this. You were wanting facts. I can still get all the videos so if you want them just let me know. They have been posted publicly. The adults in the videos were posted publicly, so just let me know Ill get them to you.