Dublin Coffman 2019

Got in late and my eyes are tired, having trouble scanning all the scores, but are there any Hilliard teams left in the playoffs?

Saw probably the most impressive H.S. running QB talent I've ever seen last night in Anthony Wayne's Mason Alberts, he torched Berlin for 300+ and several long TD runs. He's more than just fast, he slashes, runs with purpose, makes devastating cuts, he was going to make some college program very happy. Unfortunately he had what appeared to be a devastating leg/knee injury at the end of the 3Q and he seems done for this year, at a min. Apparently has an offer from Toledo, but I would have to imagine he was going to get more, given he just started playing QB in week 2, but that was before the injury.

Berlin played the typical Berlin game, but did recover from the early game funk a little faster than normal. Down 21-7 and driving, they threw a red zone INT which Alberts almost immediately turned into a long TD run and they were down 28-7 and that was pretty much it. Got a TD on the last play of the half to make it 28-14, but failed to score points on the opening kick of the 2nd half and fell behind 3 scores again. From that point on Berlin's offense was pretty much as unstoppable, and they closed it to 1 score, but a fumbled punt return in early 4Q doomed Berlin.

AW converted that to a FG to go up 16pts. Berlin drove the field again, got the 2pts, and after a mad scramble for an on-side kick, AW came up with it and was able to knee out the clock for a 44-36 win. Berlin looked good statistically, over 300 yards passing, 23 first downs, against a team who had given up 41 points the entire season coming into the game.

Tangy dismantled Troy, which was pretty easy to predict. Troy lost several goal-line stands on both sides of the ball to Tangy, which as all of you know here in C.OH is definitely not Tangy's strong suit at all. When you've been outclassed by both to Tangy's lines, that's some incredible weaksauce. With no Mason Alberts, AW still has a tough RB who is going to YSU next year, but they have no passing game to speak of at all and Tangy will be able to key 3 players on that RB and should win next week easily, setting up a match against TCC, who looks unstoppable.

Looking forward to some more details from the D1 recaps, we have LOT of C.OH schools still playing (Hilliard is represented in there, right?) and the next couple weeks should be fun.

My guess is those Darby boys toughened your Tangy Boys up a bit. But of course, I’ll be pulling for all the Central Ohio teams rest of the way.

Harry,
With Coffman and Whitmer being matched up next Friday maybe I'll get a chance to see you walk past with your green MAGA cap on your way to get a brat here at Marion Harding again this year. :whistle: :)

Harry,
With Coffman and Whitmer being matched up next Friday maybe I'll get a chance to see you walk past with your green MAGA cap on your way to get a brat here at Marion Harding again this year. :whistle: :)

I don't think Whitmer will be happy with that choice again seeing as though they lost last year and Coffman has about an hour and change less commute? Although I heard on the 820 Scoreboard show last night that Whitmer " Ended Coffman's season last year 43-20 . Well they got the score right . They interview Crabtree and the call ends and they say " Rocks get Whitmer as coach said and they " Ended Coffman's season 43-20 so you know Coach Crabtree will talking about that this week". Incredibly embarrassing for a scoreboard show to get something like that wrong .

Coach will may be bring up the fact that Whitmer will be chomping at the bit to get the Rocks this year after they Knocked out the Whitmer QB on a clean sack and hit on excellent QB Keller's elbow as he threw. and won going away in the second half withoutt Keller in the game . Truth be told the Rocks were the better team when he was in the game . Come on guys , I realize you aren't perfect and you have a lot of teams and facts to remember but that type of musing was weird . You got the score right but you rewrote the Coffman play-off year . Do better guys .

Early games looking decent overall

Penn State not so much but Northwestern and TCU doing well so far at the half covering nicely so far PSU make HT adjustments and it will probably go down to the wire but laying the 6- 6.5? Covering may be tough

After noon /night

Under 65 Bama -LSU looks good {Also taking the 6.5 with LSU for a smidge?}

Illinois + 14.5
Louisville+ 6.5 look like nice Dogs

Notre Dame - 7- 7.5 at Duke should come in as a shorter favorite than I had { 9.5 ?}

Georgia thinks they have a shot to get in to a play-off possibly? To do that no slip ups , even after the big Florida rivalry win I think they grind out a 20+ win vs Mizzou Georgia is laying 16.5 34 - 13 ? Hopefully

Wow , 1-0 fir the week going into Today ., ( Thursday win) Northwestern driving to put the game away , misses short FG gives up Drive of course Purdue nails their FG to win it . TCU winning all game , Baylor drives from deep gets it I to territory goes backwards but still bails 51 yard FG to force OT . Probably wins in OT . Had both games That’s why they call it gambling .

These things go in cycles I expect some more bad kicking luck today .

Just needed a stop on 4th and 6 No dice 21 yard strike Another round of OT unbelievable . Whatever has to happen to hang a loss in this that has to happen ? Likely will. Sorry to others who had this game

Final insult was TCU scoring they go to review where the announcers say they can’t overturn it no evidence to do so which is the kiss of death so of course they overturn it ( out of bounds that wasn’t out of bounds hate when they see things that aren’t there ) TCU gets first and goal at the 2 eventually Goes backwards immediately like Westy Central did last night in the same scenario and gets a holding penalty to boot . Westy C got a personal foul called . Oops . Whatever it takes in that game just like I said .

Buffalo guy you are scared of everyone and think Whitmer is going to lose to most . Jared Banks will carry it 59 times and leap
Tall buildings Keller will run and pass for 300 and Whitmer train keeps rolling . I think Michigan native Banks just got another carry .

He didn’t come to Whitmer to bow out before the regional final

Last edited:
Tough sledding today, went into today 45-32 in CFB , Tough losses I could or should have won and now most looking bad in the mid day games . Bama with a typical punt return for a TD of course LSU never gives those up until today LOL. They are covering but the total is a bit much for us at this point so we hope for a better second half defense wise .

Back to HS . Really exciting night with some really good finishes . I had picked the D-2 local Central Ohio games but didn't post them as I was out the door and forgot to and thought I had . Anyway I took most of the local teams on the Pasteur line as Central Ohio Competition as Kramerica has pointed out is getting stronger and stronger and this shows especially at the D-2 level lately it shows at all levels to some degree of course as the D-1 teams match up better than they used to with the traditional power centers Cincy Cleveland Dayton et al. I can't include those in the overall record of course so it was just D-1 . 9-6-1 vs.the Pasteur line to bring us to 53-32 and overall 65-47 .

R-4 was all chalk as the region is the least interesting to me. I grabbed points thinking the games might be more competitive but that region is a deep as a wading pool. Mason loses by 28 , Tom Bolden coached Lakota gave up plays all over the palce , the last play of the half 4th downs , big plays making Elder look like a 1980's Iggy team . Fairfield ran a way a bit more than we thought from Hamilton but we salavaged a win with Colerain winning by just enough to cover the 19 vs Princeton.

R-1 went better for us and saw St. Ed's and Medina compete in a track meet with Ed's getting the cover scoring 73 . Mentor did pretty much exactly what we thought they would easily covering the large number . McKinley as only laying a point per Louie P and we took advantage of the weak number with CM winning by 4. We pushed the Euclid Jackson game as Euclid won by 9 . They have some real athletes , i am surprised they lost by that margin to Mentor, but may be Mentor is that good this year.

R-3 Saw some exciting finishes along with a few anti-climatic games in other words kind of yawners in the second half . Pick North Super hero went out and the game got a bit closer actually but the Myers magic dissolved into stew interceptions and some Ole defense of waving and at runners as they went into the end zone . Ball looks HUGE in Myers hands , he made some plays but the ball looked like it was in an elementary school kids hands and the ball of course dropped out of his hands a few times . Bigger hands and longer fingers helps in gripping the ball , OK I'll stop now but that was weird I only saw the end of the game as PN was desperately trying to come back so I basically only watched the interceptions , poor defense and the Picks , but i know there were good things too in a game that took a long time to play apparently

Westy C just can't finish when playing Liberty . Incredible how Liberty needs something to happen and voila it does . 75 yard Td on a jump ball and run after catch ? BOOM it happens , first and goal at the 2? Bad things will happen immediately y no matter what kind of players the opponent has . Unreal run Liberty has bene on , yes good coaching incredible numbers, good smart kids , but cut the crap this is unreal how things always work out for them and I don't want to hear about injury's their players aren't much different from each other . They aren't getting any margins in any games . But when they need something to happen it ALWAYS DOES . So when that 100 percent what needs to happen will happen? They deserve credit , they must be living really well and serve the good fortune because it isn't as a result of just beating you up and crushing anyone . If WC can't win play-off games now ? When ?

Davidson lost a game they almost always win and it looked OVER a few times in the last half of the last quarter . May be more suseptible to giving up big plays on the ground may be but this game was theirs . Up 10 after getting a scoop and score with about 7 minutes left? Ballgame ANYONE who knows Davidson would say right? WRONG . 10-6 becomes 17-6 on a long pass play to stud receiver Weir who is a 3 catch a year guy often for huge yardage , got the 52 yarder vs Coffman as the undisciplined Rocks somehow gave that up on third and long as they like to do vs. Davidson { Three times in 2017 in a win} . Surely that's it right ? WRONG. GPM has the ball at the 5 and rips off a 95 yard run . Onside kick coming ? This is Davidson , they wont botch this right ? WRONG. Coffman ? they have given up what seems to be 80 percent of them in the last handful of years, but Davidson ? NEVER right? WRONG . GPM needing to pass seems futile to programs that don't want to ever pass right ? WRONG . They complete what they need to and win the game . Incredible .

Davidson wins these types of game , doesn't lose them . GPM has zero chance vs Liberty by the way, ok that may be not accurate , the real answer is a Robert Downey Jr. LESS THAN ZERO chance . Sorry , Liberty will cruise from the beginning of this one and get ahead 14 and GPM will be toast trying to come back with predictable runs . . PC seems to be stuck in a neutral offensive setting as they kind of just grind and do what they need to but look just well ? Boring ? I don't know how that is possible with the weapons and speed and talent they have but they manage to . Still may be the best in Central Ohio, but a handful of teams including one team in the perceived weak sister R-2 . Orange will give them a good game no question in my mind.

R-2 was fairly uneventful save for Jerome being outgained by a nice handful but coming back to force overtime and the win in FIVE sessions . Incredible game . Clutch Kicks missed kicks and Touchdowns in OT , turnover wins it for the Celts . Springfield was less than dominant in a ho hum 23-0 win vs Marysville only scoring 17 offensive points { Kick off return for a TD } . Jerome will make them work but won't have enough athletically like was the case vs Coffman over 48 minutes. I am of course really rooting for the Celts and Rocks to win next week and to have a 2003 regional final redux when Jack Rafferty and the Rocks met Scioto when Dublin was only a two HS district and met in the regional final . Scioto won and the victory was pretty much sealed when the incredibly productive and talented Rafferty went down with an injury .

Coffman who I of course write about later on it's own , did what they needed to and were impressive as Mike Drennan came back and looked good and made a couple really nice plays which the Rocks will really need going forward as they play a really good offensive team in Whitmer next week and will need as many bullets in the holster as possible .

Whitmer came back nicely and forcefully from an early 14-0 deficit and after the game got back to a one score margin tacked on the insurance policy . RB Banks is a true workhorse and QB Keller is very talented and dangerous . Good athletes abou9nd and the Rocks will have their work cut out . if you look at the 4 teams left in R-3 and the 4 left in R-2? Try to make a good argument that R-3 is the big boys and R-2 is the little kids ein comparison as some tried to do a few weeks ago ?

Last edited:
Wrapping up the college day that is going badly got some decent news with being reminded I omitted and didn't GA Tech + 16.5 over UVA and had a bit more on the side LSU when the line was 7 earlier in the week . LSU is flat better this year but they are having a surprisingly easy time scoring this much vs Alabama . killing us on the total . Most money cane in on the UNDER so good company? No bad company . lol

Numbers ar epointing to chalk tonight . South Carolina to handle App State by more than 6 , BYU who is kind of rolling to beat up liberty A BIT BY 17 + and Boise to win by more than 15{ Wyoming} . Line was 12 early but still taking now . Notre Dame will hopefully be ready to go as will Georgia . Michigan State all of a sudden scoring at will ? Louisville just throwing up on themselves ? Yikes .

Coffman took care of business in in very efficient fashion as they kicked off held , got the shorter field went right down and scored , rinse and repeat next series 14-0 , 21-0 at the quarter . Just too much speed and too many athletes for P-Burg to keep up with . Truth be told P-Burg is better than what they showed, I figured the Rocks would cover the 12 but P-burg with a good offensive line would do more on offense earlier on when the game was well Still a game . Now Coach said he challenged the defense and they certainly responded controlling the line of scrimmage . P-Burg QB is a 4 year veteran , he looks very comfortable and they have a good scheme . Coffman made them look less than , not a very efficient experienced unit with a good RB O-Line and some good receivers. Threats was too much to handle for them , Drennan made some plays and Williamson et al did their jobs as well . O-Line was good, . Secondary gave up some obvious throws when everyone and their brother knew where the ball was going so that needs to be addressed. Not much to pick on really but the Rocks need to be better this week.

I have some other ideas on this match-up with Whitmer , but to me it comes down to again challenging the defense to win the game . I think both teams have offensive firepower than can score , BUT which defense will limit the talent on the other side more ? That's what will decide the game along with the special teams and field position battles . Which defense plays better and may be can get some turnovers?

Central Ohio football is growing and getting better . School splits are necessary for better educational outcomes but the splits sometimes have diluted the talent . Other areas of the state and the country have that ONE big HS in some districts giving their sports team more depth and talent . I am for smaller HS within the D-1 structure in districts with more kids getting to play .

We saw some impressive performances by Central Ohio Teams in some match-ups with out of area teams in wins and some good play in losses where teams were the underdogs . Population shifts towards Columbus metro area is a big reason . Columbus is the fastest growing city in the Mid west . Nice article in the Wall Street Journal on Friday's Mansion section { weekly real estate section} profiling the real estate scene and the growth that is going on here .

Olentangy schools are kicking , in many areas including football had three teams advance and the loser was playing a one seed as a second year school and acquitted themselves nicely. Dublin has two teams left as well . No other district has more than one in CO .

Not a good Saturday , but not as bad as I thought at one time , Illinois came back and actually won outright . ND and Georgia played well and got the job done in good spots at good prices. BYU was forgotten and not played a soft spot in the schedule and just a get by and win game , not a rival and a team that may be more fired up to prove something and Liberty ahs actually at second glance played teams pretty hard and well vs the number. , and I laid off South Carolina because the number was low for a reason. The SEC in the middle and bottom is not that great and when they play no conference foes they often struggle. Top teams are really good, the bottom and even the middle are bad and overrated numbers wise. The line sitting there at 6 is telling. They are begging you to take SC under a TD , kind of a trap. Stepped away from it . Boise was disappointing and a loss . Anyway still at 56 percent for the season, not the goal but not bad . Nevada + 17 was live at SD State and almost won in real late action.

Alabama giving up over 40 at home and losing for the first time in 4 years at home? LSU grabbing the 6- 6.5 was a good choice obviously and getting early in the week at 7 even better . Bama young on defense at some spots got exposed worse than I thought . LSU defense was also disappointing .Ohio State is better than both and that's not a homer opinion . Best OSU defense is a while. numbers wise and eye test wise.

KC early at - 3.5 - 4 over Tennessee was a very popular play . Too popular . Top play in the Vegas super contest which did terribly last week as the top consensus picks went 0-4-1. Jets now getting three ? Cardinals opening at 6.5 now getting only 4.5 was a better early get.

Now the question for the HS games is where are they going to be played

Last edited:
Cleveland playing basically for its season today . Haven’t trusted them thus season saving me a loss or two so far . Many thought last week vs a below average Denver team with a QB taking his first NFL snap was a good play . I didn’t take Denver but stayed away from the Browns . Browns defense will do fine , the question is the offense with no core identity not being consistent or good enough .

Browns have players up front on defense . O line is below average . Looks like San Diego GB dynamics wise with the better football team playing on the road vs the more desperate team that will be playing with a season on the brink urgency . I finally will take the Browns this week to beat Buffalo

23 - 17!

Harry,
I'll not get a chance to see you at Harding Friday since you'll be going to Findlay. I don't know it you have been there before or not, but there is very little, if any, parking. It will be street parking and a walk of varying distance. I do think they have handicapped parking close to the stadium but I'm not certain. I haven't checked so I don't know if you will be Visitor or Home. If Visitor, it is brutal if there is any breeze at all. Dress warm, good luck to the Rocks.

Harry,
I'll not get a chance to see you at Harding Friday since you'll be going to Findlay. I don't know it you have been there before or not, but there is very little, if any, parking. It will be street parking and a walk of varying distance. I do think they have handicapped parking close to the stadium but I'm not certain. I haven't checked so I don't know if you will be Visitor or Home. If Visitor, it is brutal if there is any breeze at all. Dress warm, good luck to the Rocks.

Thanks for the info, not handicapped and no sticker so that's out LOL , but as much as I would rather the 45 minute drive of last year ? I guess it's fair seeing as though Whitmer fans had to make the extra long trek last year . it be what it be as they say . Coffman is the visitor again here 3 seed to Whitmer's 2 . Hate wind , temps look to be a little better than this past Friday, but the wind was no factor on Friday. Always dress warm enough , these guys who show up underdressed are foolhardy, they can't stop shivering , have no hat or gloves it's just a head shaker . Last Year in the regional final vs Liberty I was able to peel off a layer before leaving the car as it wasn't that bad. Last year in Marion it was snowing for a short bit and it was pretty cold . Thanks for the thoughts , love this time of year .

This is a nice blog you got Harry. I enjoy reading.

I got a chance to see some film on Coffman and yikes! I thought Drennan was special last year and Diallo ended up killing us last time around. Now you have the Threats kid who I think might be better than them all. Add Williamson and Youssey. Good Lord. The QB Matthews is pretty slick at running the show and I think your Oline is actually better than last year's. You certainly have enough firepower to win states.

This is a nice blog you got Harry. I enjoy reading.

I got a chance to see some film on Coffman and yikes! I thought Drennan was special last year and Diallo ended up killing us last time around. Now you have the Threats kid who I think might be better than them all. Add Williamson and Youssey. Good Lord. The QB Matthews is pretty slick at running the show and I think your Oline is actually better than last year's. You certainly have enough firepower to win states.

Missing one of the top Juniors and OSU offer Kirk at safety though . But you are correct , lots of firepower . You guys have a lot of motivation from last year and I know they want revenge as even in the preseason they were talking about that game .

Hit on Keller that hurt his elbow was clean and not a cheap shot at all as you know . Whitmer never said it was either but game was pretty much over after he didn’t come back in the second half . He’s a talented kid and great competitor . Defense will have its hands full for sure .

Banks is a true workhorse . Big challenge fir Rocks . Threats is special . Didn’t play last year after the 5th game and no offense . He has emerged as a excellent productive RB capable if a big play at any time . Drennan has been hurt early and missed last three in the regular season . Looked good on Friday and they will need his contribution on Friday .

Diallo will likely play mostly on defense at DE . Kid who started there last year and a very good player moved to Florida for his Senior year so they had a hole there . Diallo is starting to emerge as a good replacement and with Threats playing so well Moussa” s offensive snaps are more limited

It's hard to know much about Liberty unless someone can provide an injury report. They can go toe-to-toe with GPM in the trenches for sure, however, if they are lacking any healthy playmakers or a passing game, this could be one of those games that comes down to one or two breaks. 7-6 or 10-7 games are always dangerous because you are just one mistake away from losing the lead.

Orange, I really don't feel good about. They have not faced many teams at all that have even remotely the athleticism that PC brings. Yes, they reversed the PN game from earlier this year, but that game was marred by Sawyer's injury. Westerville Central game was very deceptive because they had almost 500 yards but only were able to score 1 TD, PC will finish those drives off. Westy South was extremely athletic before injuries hurt the team, and Orange caught them wounded. I will be very surprised if Orange can keep this game close. PC has a grinder type team who isn't going to blow a team like Orange out on the scoreboard, but I'm guessing that ppl there in person will say it was never in doubt.

What are guys opinions on the Liberty vs Groveport rematch and Pick Central vs Orange matchups

Groveport O didn’t move the ball at all on Davidson defense until midway thru the 4th quarter. I have trouble believing they will move it any better on Liberty.

Orange has been doubted all year and have come up big every single time since PN loss week 3. Everyone had them pegged to lose last 3-4 games of season and then they went out and won them all, including beating area #1 Liberty and avenging loss to PN. Since Hilliards out of playoffs, I think I’m going to go over to UA and watch PC vs Orange this Friday. I think it will be a good one.

Week 12 comes quick , in D-1 as we move to the 'Neutral " sites it should be noted that EVERY home team won in D-1 . I am not a huge home field is a big deal in HS football , BUT if the travel is fairly lengthy that can be an advantage but otherwise the better team won for the most part, with a couple games that could have gone the other way .

Olentangy Liberty just continues to live well , always make the big play at the end and also their opponents seem to shoot themselves in the foot . The frequency that this has happened this year makes me think it is a skill they have. They simply are may be more calm and confident when the big moments come that is a result of their last three year play-off run . Westy C putting up the yardage they have vs Liberty in the two games and only scoring 14 points total is fairly surreal. Very disappointing year for WC when you consider the talent and experience they had coming back . Good size, excellent speed overall , D-1 QB and two D-1 playmakers .

As I mentioned up above , then odds of Hilliard Davidson winning that game at a few late junctures was near 100 percent. GPM without a play-off appearance since 2007 going against Brian White and two time state championship winner with nearly 40 play-off wins up 10-0 with about 7 and change to go and then 17-6 with a little under 4 minutes? WTF . Incredible turn of events that was a testament to GPM for making some plays and not giving up of course but Davidson somehow not winning it which considering their pedigree and great ability tp put games away was a level past astonishingly mind blowing.

Now this wasn't a vintage Davidson team but they overachieved in a few games and were a team that really stepped up when it counted and got big wins in a few games they needed to make the play-offs. . [Coffman , Marysville and Darby early on } They reminded me of the 2013 Coffman club when with one starter back on offense{ An offensive guard who was hurt a good part of the season}
and just a few back on defense went 7-3 and made the play-offs { And won a game Davidson shouldhave won a game} after a 1-3 start . Now Davidson started out great beating three non play-off teams but lost a few when the schedule got a bit harder to put their play-off hopes in jeopardy . Really good season all things considered , but a really surprising loss considering the situation late.

In terms of The GPM - Liberty match-up Louie has it at OL- 11 and CP has it OL - 7 . Liberty just seems to grind wins out at this time of the year and this is a rematch of a week 5 match-up with Liberty winning 21-14 . That Liberty team was especially banged up though and seems to be healthier now on defense anyway . Groveport has had trouble moving the ball consistently in it's last two games vs New Albany where they were routed 35-7 and in last weeks miracle win vs Davidson they had little to no offense the first three quarters. Liberty should be the third team in successive weeks to limit them .

Pick C seems to be just kind of grinding out wins with an offense most though would be more dynamic . Defense stops the run well and they seem to make plays when needed on special teams as well . Orange who I and many other thought would lose at least three games has been just making key plays as well ala Liberty when needed. Good balance between run and pass , a good secondary that doesn't give up big plays often and the coaching staff is excellent putting their guys in good positions to succeed. Very interesting match-up . Louie P and Cal Preps have this at basically a Pick em { PC - 1} .

There is a possibility of a all Olentangy District regional final . Saw this last when Coffman and Scioto played each other in the R-3 final in 2003 . PC is while only a one point favorite by the numbers guy, a program that seems unlikely to lose this type of game . I have thoughts and will make predictions on all games as usual .

Jerome pulled off a epic 5 OT win vs Springboro despite being outgained by a decent amount . That team is full of heart and while not always consistent plays as hard as anyone . Springfield is very talented and will out athlete the Celts no question . The problem is Jerome won't take a step back and will punch back. Jerome needs to NOT give up a KO return for a TD to start the game like M-Ville did . After that S-Field only scored 17 and weren't overly impressive I was told by a couple sources . I would expect a better effort from Sweet Mo Money D's club . Country Clubbers got a nice break with the venue as they don't even leave the County heading to Marysville as the lower seed . LP Line is at 13 and CP sees it as an 11 point difference for Springfield .

Speaking of venues , Coffman got the worst of it this year in this exact scenario vs Whitmer . Last Year the Rocks and fans only had to go to Marion to face the Panthers who had a much longer drive . This year the tables are turned as Coffman has to go Findlay { hour and a half} where TW has about a 50 minute trek. Whitmer is primed for this game citing unfinished business from last years loss { 43-20} where their stud QB Keller who is a 4 year starter got knocked out with an elbow injury right before halftime . This looks like a very good and interesting match-up to be sure . Lots of thoughts that will come as the week goes on . Differing opinions on this one from Louie P and Cal Preps. Louie has it as Whitmer - 5 and CP has Coffman as the 5 point favorite .

Last edited:
In R-3 we see the game dynamics showing the programs where winning these games is old hat and the other two haven't won many play-off games lately. GPM was last in the play-offs in 2007 and Orange has made the play-offs but isn't wining games lately. Does this play a part in the proceedings tomorrow? It has to at least to some extant doesn't it? GPM played with Liberty pretty well in week 5 but Liberty but the OL MASH Unit was at it's apex .

WEEK 12

Olentangy Liberty vs Groveport Madison - LP Line OL - 11 Cal preps OL - 7

In week 5 as I say above , Liberty was really banged up and this game was a total grinder for them where they needed to use all of it's depth and resources to get the win vs. Upstart GPM . Yardage was very close and GPM actually threw the ball 11 times for 57 yards in that game. that tells us that they were having trouble running the ball and sustaining drives . They did run for 125 yards on 29 attempts so 4 yards a pop isn't bad , but that was against a Liberty defense that was banged up at LB. Kenly didn't play in that one so the run game was less dynamic with the grinder Row back there who also was the lead ball carrier last week.

Liberty has made the play-offs the last 6 years in a row and has won the vast bulk of their play-off games in their history during this time as they are now 13-11 in the play-offs after struggling to get wins at all in the first part of their history which only dates back to 2003 . Steve Hale is the only Coach that Liberty has had and ironically he coached at GPM before coming to Powell High . He was 8-1`2 in two seasons down there. -2000-2001 }

Parrish is back at QB and looks good for the Patriots . 13-22 for 205 last week but the bulk of that was a late 70 yard + strike late in the game . Liberty with a healthy defense limited WC much better yardage wise than they did the first time around as WC only gained 250 yards. Liberty had 285 but was just over 200 before that huge pass play that was thrown up in good coverage and the kid who was playing football for the first time as a Senior came down with it. Liberty rings Salvation Army bells , trains guide dogs, and they al work at the area soup kitchens in their spare time , living right is a motto .

Kenly I expect to be out and will handicap it that way . GPM had 28 yards at the break last week and was shut out for the first 43 minutes plus last week vs Davidson. Davidson does a great job when they only know the run is coming . They weren't a great runs top team this year though and I suspect Liberty with a healthier team now will really limit their run game again this week as GPM has had real trouble sustaining drives vs New Albany and Davidson the last two weeks.

Liberty will bring good support to Gahanna for this one as they are getting real good at this play-off thing the last 4 years. For GPM this is a huge deal no question and they have some athletes , but they will HAVE TO THROW some here and I envision a turnover or two if they have to throw it 10-13 times . Liberty will play the field position game really well, they will tackle well , they won't give up a 95 yard run or any cheap points and certainly won't give up 18 points in a 5 minute period which is what GPM HAD TO DO to get the victory last week .

Liberty 's wins over the D-1 play-off teams on their schedule have come by an average of 7 points . They lost to Orange in a game they actually outplayed the Pioneers who have been living pretty well themselves. Patriots run game without Kenly is limited , QB needs to probably run a bit here. Their passing game is solid though and GPM hasn't really played anyone save Liberty with a real good passing game , apologies to Pick C but that passing game isn't as efficient as Liberty's despite the talent and the three year starter at QB.

11 is a big number in this type of match-up and the grinding nature of Liberty in these types of games. 7 is closer to the real number I believe which is what Cal Preps has it at. Key match-up -is the GPM secondary vs. Liberty receivers and passing game because I believe both teams will do a good job against the run. Can GPM make some plays I the passing game ? They are going to have to IMO.

The number tells me to take the 11 here but liking Liberty to definitely win the football game. Cold but no precipitation or strong wind means the passing game can flourish a bit .

Liberty 17 Groveport Madison 9

Couple comments on the Springfield-Marysville game last week.
1. Thought the Springfield running backs were the fastest and hardest running backs we had seen. Marysville may have seen faster and harder runners but Springfield had backs that ran hard and fast. I noticed that with the opening KO for a TD and it continued in the 1st half.
2. Up 23-0 Springfield took the timeouts at the end of 2nd Quarter to get the ball back (vs letting M-ville run the clock to get out of the half) and then tried to score to get the running clock to open the 3rd. As a M-Ville fan had mixed thoughts. Though the week before Springfield showed they can be a 2nd half team coming back down 20-7 at half against Trotwood to win and secure the #1 seed.
3. Part of the reason Springfield did not look as good in the second half is they started getting second teamers in especially as the game wore on. Generally bring the 1st team defense back in as Marysville approached the cross the 50 and approached the red zone.

Good luck to Jerome and Coffman and hope to see you play each other in Marysville next week for the Region title.

WEEK 12 Cont.

Pickerington Central vs Olentangy Orange - LP Line PC - 1 Cal Preps PC -1

Both oddsmakers see the game the same way . If you were a local bookie would you take bets at this number? I wouldn't , I'm not a bookie though I'm a bettor, but to try to get closer to 60 percent than 50 as I have learned to do you need to know a bit about odds making. I would make it PC - 4 and a half to start the process at the least and see where the money flowed raising it or lowering it accordingly. Orange has been given less respect at times this year but at this point myself included their due respect has bene given . The one point difference is a sign of great respect as well .

Orange has bene given less respect for a reason. Opened with a bad Kilbourne team with a new coach and system and were underwhelming at best in a 10 point win . Another less than stellar effort vs Bradley who was struggling early and for much of the season , surviving with a 3 point win Got waxed by PN with Sawyer playing QB for the first time by 21 points. Three weaker teams followed in succession resulting in easy wins { West N , Big Nut , Westland} so the Olentangy game was huge in week 7 and as a 6 point underdog controlled the game from the start and beat Tangy pretty easily 28-14 . This game showed their strength in the secondary and their physical balanced nature on offense .

The TV game vs Westy C without Hyatt followed that and once again they prevailed but in this one Westy C without their top playmaker gained 400 yards . Moved it well most of the way but as has been their achilles heel they had trouble finishing drives. Against Liberty they had this problem the first time around as well . Westerville vs Olentangy in football has been the paver vs the road , as in we know the result beforehand , it's just a case of how messy the proceedings will be.

Anyway orange rolled on to upend Liberty , but in that game Liberty was probably the better team as they also had some big passing yards vs Orange as Westy C did but a bend but don't break defense is a great thing. It is a skill, a plan, a modus operandi. Both teams had no run game in this one and this is telling as I believe PC can really limit the Orange run game winning the line of scrimmage as Liberty did . Orange like in the PN game closed the game really well pushing out the score vs. The Ibbies of Westy South in week 10 . Orange caught a break with Sawyer going out not just on offense but on defense as Orange was able to run the rock when needed in the second half as Vanchieri toted the rock at 7 yards a clip .

Orange has good solid receivers for their big guy to throw to. Hawkins is 6-3 200 and is effective especially if Orange can run it well. Konzak has just under 600 yards receiving at 14 a catch , Lattig has 470 with a about 11 a catch and a real weapon as a tight end that many teams don't use as much now Wyne has 600 yards receiving on 32 catches . That's about 20 yards a reception . PN game saw a + 4 turnover margin in favor of Orange.

PC played a sloppy mess of a game vs R-Burg and suffice to say if ty get a punt blocked and returned for a TD and commit multiple turnovers ? THEY LOSE THIS ONE . Central at their best wins this one undoubtedly . But how many times has PC been t their best? Mosely, Styles Jr. , and Crenshaw are going to make plays . Orange had some trouble corralling Myers at QB at times after Sawyer went down. I see Crenshaw using his legs here and at some point hitting a deep ball to Smith or the aforementioned Mr. Styles . Mosely will grind and set up play action ?

This level of defense will make it hard for Orange to establish a consistent run game and I think if made one dimensional ? PC has the athletes in the secondary to match up well with OO receivers . Central fans are often frustrated at the lack of imagination on offense that they feel should be more explosive. Well I think the explosiveness isn't really needed tomorrow , but I feel the threat of the big play and possibly making one either on offense defense or special teams is likely.

I see PC getting that sloppy game out of their system last week , stopping the run and being able to defend the pass well enough and making just enough plays on offense as being the key here. Orange has bene a consistent play-off team as this is their fourth straight appearance , they have lost some close ones the last 3 years getting over that hump last week vs. North, BUT this PC team is a slightly different animal . Better at QB , better at stopping the run , and better overall line play will be the difference , along with of course the normal speed PC has at a few of the skill positions .

PC 20 Orange 13

WEEK 12 Cont.

Coffman vs Whitmer - LP line TW - 5 Cal Preps DC - 5

Ten point difference in lines. Louie has tended to overrate favorites a bit lately. This game is probably closer to a PICK EM than anything else so actually splitting the difference is probably accurate . Now either team can get a margin if the other one is not sharp or makes a ton of mistakes or loses the TO margin big, but al in all they look pretty evenly matched.

I obviously have seen Coffman a lot up- close and have seen the progress the strengths and weaknesses and what the team is at close to it's best and at it's well LESS THAN BEST. Last years game will be in Whitmer's mind more than Coffman's as they not only lost but lost their very talented Bowling Green commit QB right before halftime which kind of made the outcome of the game less unsure.

It was 16-14 Coffman when Keller got hit before he threw , with the ball squirting out as a fumble and Whitmer recovered it at their own one yard line. Keller got hit on his elbow as he threw and wouldn't be able to return and was injured for a long while actually having a long re-hab. Whitmer then got the ball out of the shadow of the end zone and punted , Coffman got a fairly short field scored before halftime to make it 23-14 . Back-up QB clearly wasn't ready for this type of situation and while he made a few plays at some point turned it over a couple times and Coffman put the game away early third quarter.

Now Whitmer has an unfinished business attitude where Coffman and the play-offs are concerned this year and are really wanting this game badly. Hit wasn't dirty in the least and no on from Whitmer thinks so either but it is thought that the game turns out differently if Keller plays the full game. Being as objective as I can I am not sure it does. Does it end 43-20 ? NO , it is a closer game no question about it , BUT Coffman was moving the ball pretty well from the beginning and that wasn't going to change if Riley stays in for the full 48.

Secondly , the 14 Whitmer scored with Keller in the game were not the result of a drive or consistently moving the football. Whitmer had problems in the punting game as they were forced to punt early and botched snaps. Coffman cashed in for points a TD and FG . Short fields made drives shorter BUT I don't think Whitmer would have had a lot of success stopping Coffman no matter where they got the ball to be honest.

The 14 points were scored on a third and long where Keller was flushed early from the pocket almost sacked but escaped and heaved the ball downfield where three Coffman defenders converged on one Whitmer receiver , the ball ricochet backwards where a second Whitmer receiver snagged it and skipped into the end zone . Pretty flukey play really and 19 out of 20 times is either picked or incomplete but instead went for a long TD pass . Second TD was a Kick-Off return for a TD on a kick that was fumbled around for a few seconds which is always a dangerous thing for the coverage team as it throws off the timing of the coverage and some guys stop and get out of position , big Return for a TD.

Now if Keller stays in they figure some things out and probably score some more but I think Coffman has a great chance to outscore them . We will never know of course but that's what I saw.

So that was then , this is now . Both have guys back but are different teams now . Whitmer has the rare FOUR { 4 } Year starter in Keller whose seems more like a professional HS QB. He is smooth, athletic , moves well within the pocket and has a very good arm. He's about 6-1 so not the prototypical height for a power 5 guys who aren't jaguar running QB guys but his talent is impressive and he is pretty rugged at about 190- 195 . They got a huge free agent pick-up in Senior RB Jared Banks from Michigan where I guess he played smaller division football and wanted to play against better competition. Not a huge recruit but is gaining more nd more interest and looks like a MAC back to me on film . He has the size and power. Not real tall at about 5-10.5 - 511 but sturdy at bout 200 pounds. North South guy more than breakaway speed guy but he can get to the corner and when he cuts up he can run through tackles. The whole team offensive dynamic changed with his transfer , as they are more a running team than a passing team even with such a good passer and very experienced D-1 guy at QB.

They still have athletes outside and kids who can run and make plays but the personality of the offense is run it with Banks with Keller keeping and occasional jet sweeps. Coffman and Whitmer run similar offenses actually . More straight read option by Whitmer. Coffman's defense has a tremendous challenge in front of them . A great opportunity to see what they have. Kirk whose been out all year was a real QB of the secondary at Safety last year and in this game last year as a Soph and the Ohio State offered Kirk has been missed a lot this year . The good news is they haven't had him all year so preparation isn't changed. The secondary needs to really tackle well and keep their heads turned around looking for the ball as they have had problems at times with getting turned around a bit . Keller will test them no question.

Fundamentals and scheme will be huge in this Rocks defensive effort tomorrow. Pad level will be huge up front of course and when tackling Banks, you cannot tackle him up high , you need hats to the ball and get him low . Don't let him get started with steam , set the edge , low pad level and get the extra couple hats to the ball consistently. On film when I see the Panthers have great success running the ball i see poor edges being set and kids waving at the strong Banks not getting him lower and there isn't others there quickly to help. Banks has carried the ball A LOT , high volume carries , all teams are a little banged up at this point of the season and some guys on some teams including these two might be either out or limited . Just the way it is . Banks isn't out but could be banged up was stated by Whitmer coaches , that didn't stop them from giving him the rock 40 times though . Sore hip and other body parts and having to carry the ball 40 times to get the separation in a tough hard fought round one paly-off game and then having to come back in a week and likely be asked to do the same thing?

Rocks had an easier first round game and o one was asked to do that kind of heavy lifting so that may be an advantage for the Rocks at some point. Defense can really make him work again , butt must be said Banks gained 270 yards on those 40 carries. If Banks has that kind of success Rocks lose this one unless some really weird things happen. This is the type of challenge that true competitors , real tough minded ballers relish , look forward to , they want that challenge. Pad level at the point of attack quick filling Linebackers and others with some gang tackling and getting him lower are keys. Can they do this ? We'll see I am confident Crager will put them I the right spots and it's up to them to execute , concentrate and focus .

Whitmer defense will be challenged as well as the Rocks have enough weapons to hurt them in different areas. I some games the Rocks have not used their entire package offensively or used certain personnel and it has burned them. This is not the time for leaving things in the headsets , or not making the opponent defend the whole field . Both teams will attempt to do this of course and as always it wil be wo executes better makes more plays and makes fewer mistakes who has a better chance at victory.

Drennan is back , and he causes teams to game plan a bit and account for him when he is on the field . They have been successful without him at times as he has only played a few full games. Threats is their main RB now but that hasn't always been the case , so he is pretty fresh as main lead Running back backs go in week 12 . Ditto with Drennan of course and Diallo plays more on the defensive side of the ball now and quite effectively I may add . He and Threats will be used two ways . Williamson is a real weapon and will be someone to account for as well either downfield or on the edge on jet sweeps.

Drennan Diallo and Williamson all scored last year vs Whitmer. QB Mathews is improving as a passer as the season goes on and I believe his ability to make plays with his feet as a pretty slick runner and his improved throwing will be a big key . He also moves very well in the pocket and can extend plays which makes it possible for guys to get more open downfield for possible big plays .

FG Kicker Magyar was all Central District and has 45- 50 yard range with accuracy. Worst part of that Davidson loss was turning it over within Casey's range late with a chance to win . I believe he makes the kick even if they gained northing else on that fateful first down ill advised pass which would have been from about 46. Three runs when they were moving it on the ground most of the night 5 yards minimum and a 41 yarder? Coffman wins IMO Anyway that's over but Casey is a real weapon and as a Junior with school starting to notice is going to be a college kicker .

Not going to get in too deep although I have thoughts on how Coffman may be able to make plays on offense and what they may do for obvious reasons , but I think the crux of this game I terms of getting the victory and advancing for Coffman is defense .

Make them earn everything , at least break even in the field position and turnover battles , pad level , fundamentals , focus and relentless effort that gets hats to the ball consistently , make plays on balls in the air on defense and don't give up big plays{ See Wayne circa 2014 , Rocks were just as good as the eventual state finalist but lost concentration a couple times against great athletes} and the offense play to it's potential with talented D-1 skill kids making plays the way they are capable of and there will be a great chance of coming out on top , but they only win if they play well in al phases and paly fundamentally sound at top speed. A lot to ask but this team has a lot to give. Liked Coach telling the kids that pressure shouldn't be a reason for not getting the job done , this is a game an opportunity and challenge in this setting that they should enjoy and take advantage of .

Use the extra time on the bus to focus and leave early enough to get all stretched out . No excuses gentleman , it's right there for you go take this opportunity and move on to the next .

Coffman 34 Whitmer 30

A few texts came after the DC - TW write-up ,and one thing that was said was , what is up with that Whitmer vs Toledo CC game bein such a beatdown . Texter thought I should be more confident given that result . Well to all who didn't know Keller sat that one out at QB for Whitmer . 42-14 score . Well I think if Keller does play they still lose because you can't get past the 42 points and the 475 yards of offense they got on the Panthers.

RB Banks still got 165 yards on the ground on 30 carries, so that was damn impressive considering that TCC could really key on the run . So my guess instead of a 28 point margin it's more like 14 ? Who really knows but that game should be kind of thrown out as a defining game for them. I don't tend to judge teams on their best or worst games but the tendency is for man to do just that .

Another text was more about Coffman personnel and other things. Well I didn't post that I really think at this level of competition and this point of the 'Tournament " { Bill Parcells always called the play-offs the tournament , which is it at it's core a tournament but it's lingo is play-offs in football } putting kids at positions at key junctures is something coaches should do and not worry about others ego's or feelings. I agree that someone say like Williamson should be inserted at later junctures when teams have to pass in the defensive backfield at a nickel corner or at corner itself on a certain kid . Williams should be on the wing at TE or H-Back may be I key spots. Drennan returning kicks or even in the secondary . Things like that.

Kids being moved into different places within the scheme depending on where you are being hurt or need help . Hopefully all can go and be effective . Williams at OLB DE , is going to be a big key, He can move inside if needed as well. 3-4 defense may be useful but Rocks aren't featuring that . Jr. MLB OJ Morris is really coming on strong, from the first scrimmage to now Morris has improved as much as anyone on the team and he will be a key tomorrow. Sr. OG - NG Wolfe the only interior lineman to play close to full time two ways is another guy who is invaluable and can be a real difference maker on both sides.

Something that I picked up on film that would be filed under a 'tendency " is at certain times Whitmer likes to go to crossing routes with Keller threading the ball sometimes throwing a fastball to a receiver breaking over the middle. It's a rhythm thing and I think it's something that can be jumped on when you see or feel it. Crager I am sure has noticed it as well . Spotting tendency's and getting your kids to execute the defense in real time is another story. A few other 'Tells" are out there as well.

WEEK 12 Cont.

Springfield vs Dublin Jerome - LP Line SF - 13 CP SF - 11

Sometimes in a 'Tournament " setting like this a team can advance over one team but the loser would match up better with the next opponent than the winner would. Is this is one of those times? Not sure, but despite Springboro lost 23-0 to Springfield , I have a feeling that they would have a better chance of staying closer to Springfield than the Country Clubbers might tomorrow. They would know more about what Springfield ahs to offer and it is harder sometimes to beat a team the second time even if the first one wasn't a real close game. Springboro had over 300 yards vs Jerome and held DJ to 165 . The game was a low scoring affair which was pushed out due to overtime. Jerome played many more crucial snaps as in life and death snaps than Springfield did certainly and that in week 12 sometimes means something.

Springfield doesn't need any real advantages but this coupled with more talent and speed may be too much to overcome. for the Country Clubbers here. Jerome is a plucky team that plays as hard snap for snap as anyone. I was really impressed with the way they came back vs Coffman after a quick 14-0 hole was dug on that sultry late September night with a stiff warm wind dictating the proceedings in the first half. Big 4th down conversions , a fortunate PI in the end zone call on 4th down as well . Rocks asserted their Dublin dominance for another year in the second half running the ball pretty much down their throat . Celts have had back to back to back to back best classes in Dublin { Grizzell , half of Karrer MS} so Geciwich has the best material after next year for sure and for subsequent years . This latest win vs Springboro is a huge win for the program but tis matchup looks tough.

Jerome egg of the year vs Delaware a 21 point loss was as bad as Iowa over OSU and Purdue over OSU . Inexplicable loss and not only that but by a big margin? WTF moment . Jerome is an emotional program they feed off of their coach , he gets real high and I guess that week he was a flat liner because that was more than head scratching.

Beating up on a strong D-2 DeSales team was a highlight but that was a lot of shorter fields and a pick six driven margin . What 'Popular " poster Kramerica I calls the OCC Ragu { tomato cans abound in his view } was down this year which made it the OCC Chef Boyardee or do we go with the OCC Spaghettio's with meatballs? ? Bradley has been really consistent and clearly was the best overall team the previous three the last few years until now so the league was down a bit from where it was. Jerome emerged as what Farmer Ted might call them " The king of the dipsheets?" OK I am just kidding but having fun . Farmer Ted was Cooler than that John Cusack played character and the kid with the headgear that looked like it was made for 5 geeks with bad teeth. Actually i can picture Geciwich bellowing' Take those ridiculous things off ." AHH good times , We booked the hotel suite for my daughters 16th 3 months in advance to guard against forgetting.

OK I know some of you probably enjoyed that silliness , others ? Have no idea. Back to football . Springfield is a bit of a heavyweight . Don't be fooled
by the comparative beatdowns of Bradley by these squads, Springfield's was real and Jerome's was turnover whatever could go wrong did for Bradley driven . Bradley probably just wanted to put an exclamation point on their terrible season ? Look more to the comparative Springboro results ? . They play real defense Jerome is unlikely to have answers to this type of pressure . They don't have kids who can make people miss and then get up field quickly . Defensively Jerome can hang for a bit but i think eventually even if Tolliver can't really go ? The dam breaks a bit .

Marysville new facility will be a real nice venue going forward and hopefully Marysville with some good classes and improving program will be hosting some in the future .

Springfield 25 Jerome 10

Last edited:
WEEK 12 Cont.

Elder vs ST X - LP Line Elder - 3 CP Elder - 1

Not going to pretend to have a strong opinion on these two R-4 games which are rematches of close games that could have gone either way.

Looked at them for a bit and I see no real edge in any area or dynamic . The one dynamic that does sometimes matter is the losing team in the season sometimes has a little edge in motivation and may be at times learns a bit more about the previous proceedings .

last one was close and I think this one will be too most likely as in razor close.

l grab the 3 points with the Bombers as I feel this is a classic Pick em type spread

ST X 22 Elder 20

Fairfield vs Colerain - LP line Fairfield - 1 CP Line Colerain - 1

Meeting a few weeks ago was an overtime Colerain win . Tom Bolden is now at Lakota West , many opine if the Colerain dynasty is going to end. Well new coaches can thrive for a time because the inner working of the program are in place and that doesn't go away overnight just because the head guy leaves. We see this in the college game a lot . The long time assistant is given the job and does just fine for a time. BUT eventually it usually erodes a bit as the program because his . He was a long time assistant for a reason . Now sometimes the loyal soldier turns out to eb a great HC but a lot of times they eventually go get the bigger time coach.

Colerain defense is fine, offense looks spotty against good defenses . Fairfield struggled scoring in game one . Colerain wasn't much if at al better . Who makes the big play? McClain?

Real tossup . Rooting for the new kid at this level. Fairfield had a play-off win drought broken and is feeling pretty confident.

Fairfield 17 Colerain 15

WEEK 12 Cont.

Mentor vs Canton McKinley - LP Line Mentor - 23 CP Line -28

Mentor coach is leaving, if you have any feelings for coaches you want to see him win a title after building this power program and coming real close a couple times and in the mix most years. Very good QB , who runs well but wants to pass more, Excellent RB Trobel and a defense that seems to have improved over other years as they are simply putting it on folks this year. Beat both Ed's and Iggy in close ones to start then it's been just a matter of how much they want to win by . Most week sit's been they want to crush you and then they do.

McKinley is pretty good, that doesn't cut it though in this match-up . Mentor takes no chances and next weeks ED'S match-up should be epic as usual. As close as the R-4 Semi's are the R-1 match-ups feature large favorites who should roll fairly easily.

Mentor 38 McKinley 13

ST Ed's vs. Euclid - LP Line SE - 17 CP Line ED - 20

Ed's can score, they may be able to outscore Mentor next week . Euclid has a brash coach who most think is a HS football AAU basketball coach collecting really talented players from other areas. They have some scary skill guys and will probably get loose a time or two here as ED'S defense is not as strong as their offense . Medina and Ed's combined for over a 100 points. Cold but dry and light wind? More scoring tonight for sure..

ED'S 42 Euclid 24