Dublin Coffman 2019

Week 10 Cont.

A lot of the games I will take a quick look at and try to predict this week come down to a pretty simple question . Can certain teams stop their opponents from running the football. Or at least slow them down and get off of the field earlier without too much damage being inflicted. . Some teams have superior size and hard running backs who can control the clock and the flow of the game and give their teams a better chance of achieving victory. One of those games is Westy C vs. the Tangy Originals.

Westy C at The Olentangy Originals - LP Line WC - 4

The Originals are almost assuredly in the play-offs with a loss unless they are just born under a bad sign such as the kid with wealthy parents who lived in a tony Chicago suburb whose parents bought him a computer and his younger sister a car . That's a tough one , but the kid seemed to make it work for him somehow. Tangy will be playing in week 11 . The problem is they lose they play Anthony Wayne who is a juggernaut this year. Win ? They may even get a home game as well as an easier draw.

Westy C schedule the first three weeks was about as arduous as laying on a hammock and not falling off of it was the bar set for victory. Air had a higher power rating than those three at the start of the season . Long grass was even with the three Amigos. . Holtzclaw had more incompletions when playing catch to warm up than he did in the actual games . OK I will stop piling on . PN was pretty hapless as well in week 4 . Warhawks have bene less than spectacular lately . Mistakes close losses , big yardage without finishing drives and , undisciplined play has put this club in actual play off jeopardy. Didn't see that scenario coming. 76 percent chance with a victory according to Louie P 'S Math. Tangy can make this interesting but I'm not sure they are big enough to stop the run against a team like this with quality backs like Hyatt and Williamson who both catch passes from different areas on the field and a very large O-Line. Tangy doesn't run the ball basically unless Maddux sees something in an empty backfield and can scoot through the line or run unplanned when coverage is strong. Holtzclaw running the ball ? Watching him makes me think about a former teammate of mine who ended up being the starting Varsity QB on a good team. He like most of the best athletes at the time were made running backs . He wasn't fast although he had a few athletic moves . His last year at RB was 12 years old when the coach changed his position to QB and nicknamed him " Snow Shoes" as in he ran like he was wearing snowshoes. I would think there may be a pair in Holtzclaw's closet.

I have been burned like the edges of the heel piece of toast taking WC to win and or cover. Their season relies on this result and they have lost the last three vs this program . More incentive , stronger team and some match-up issues for the Braves points to me getting off of the Scheid in games involving the Warlocks, errr Hawks .

WC 30 Tangy 18

Week 10 Cont.

Orange at Westy South IB - LP Line Orange - 7

Tough game to cap. Orange is in obviously and can only improve one seed with a win. Either play Davidson or a rematch with Pick North who they were outclassed by . If they LOSE they play Davidson who I think they match up better with. Do they try to lose? Of course not . The Ibbies are really pumped up to be in the playoffs . This is a big deal to them . A win means a home play-off game which would be incredible . They have weathered the losing the QB storm quite well and their excellent RB is back and running well. Mansaray carried the ball 38 times last week. That is a bigger load than you9 want to give any back in my opinion at any level . They punched their ticket though and they are really happy about it. Orange is a very disciplined and well coached. They can run it pretty well and use play action very well to hit some chunk plays downfield.

They line up well on defense but athlete wise? They can beat at times. South has the goods to do this . This league is very competitive and we al know the Olentngy's always beat the Westerville's but it has been razor close at times. I think South can hang in there but Orange might really want the league title to themselves. If they get it though I believe they get bounced by Pick North the next week. If they lose? They can beat Davidson in what I think would be a better match-up for them. Funny ow this works sometimes . I think this is just another in the line of really tight ballgames in this league and it may be a last possession game.

Orange 24 WS 22

Last edited:
Week 10 Cont.

Berlin Vs. Ye Olde Tommy W- LP Line Berlin - 9

Huge win for the Cards last week vs Scioto. They have put their stud playmaker Sherron Phipps at RB now and that has made the offense take off a bit. He was good on defense and in the slot , but at RB he can get the ball more and make more plays. He is doing just that . This is a paly-off game , PERIOD for Berlin . Win and they are in . Lose and they stay home next week. Of course as Kramer says is it a really good thing to go up and get tattooed by Anthony Wayne next week? Well you don't want to lose in this sport that you give so much of yourself to and I think they can run the ball here. They threw it well last week vs Jerome after not being able to run much the first couple quarters. They will have to come out and establish the run early and in this particular match-up that is doable.

Berlin is good enough to limit the Cards on the ground even with Phipps toting the rock. Pretty exciting stuff to make the play-offs in your second year of existence . Dublin Scioto set the bar for all new schools winning a state Title in 1995 led by former Coffman player and future NFL guy RB Nick Goings . Berlin won't do what Scioto did and they will lose in round one , but they get to week 11 in their second year which deserves a lot of applause .

Berlin 31 YOTW 19

Week 10 Cont.

Darby at Dublin East of the river Irish - LP Line HD - 8

Scioto has had many close game , in fact they have lost their five games by 25 points . 5 a game and no loss of more than 8 points which is the line here. Darby conversely is getting some margins lately wining the last three by an average of just under 4 TD'S . Scioto actually has a better shot despite the worse record of getting into the play-offs with a win here. Darby has a 35 percent shot with a win . Not great and I don['t think they get the things they need . Scioto probably doesn't either. Scioto can score some points quicker but I think what probably happens is Darby has a couple long drives and wears down the Irish and gets a bit of a margin and covers this line. Scioto I am rooting for , but I think they run out of gas here after a couple games in a row that have gone to the last few plays or Overtime , both three point losses . Darby has had easy sledding lately. Both team stay home but the Panthers get the Win and their fourth straight victory.

Darby 27 Scioto 16

Berlin's run D has made some really big improvements this season. They have completely shut down some good runners at Darby, Scioto, Jerome, Byrd from Canal, really the only bad game their run D had recently was Bradley, who plays spread and keeps you off balance by throwing a lot too.

I see no throwing threat from TW here at all. If Berlin's rush D plays anything like it has most of these games this year, they can stop a 1-man RB team quite easily. Their giant weakness is pass defense and getting off balance while expecting to defend the pass.

Offensively, Berlin was dealt a big blow when leading WR broke collar bone at Jerome last week, but there are still enough targets out there to have a balanced attack and score points. Completely comes down to beating themselves or not with penalties and turnovers. If they play a clean game, they can win this by 14+ and should win quite convincingly.

ironically, their final seeding could come down to whether or not 0-9 Briggs can beat 0-9 West in the city league. It's hard to wrap your head around, but for each team you've beaten, you get .6 points when that team beats a D2 team (or .65 if they beat a D1 team). When the point totals are projected in the 14-15 range at the bottom range of qualifying, that's quite a bit.

Week 10 Cont.

Not sure what that stupid 4th down play where it looked like everyone was either offside on defense or the offense jumped resulting in a short field gift for DeSales . Memo to Hartley , you can punt the football .

Coffman at Upper Arlington - LP Line DC - 8

Rocks have to decide what kind of team they are going to be going forward. Are they going to lose each time the game is close and in the balance ? Or are they going to play to their capability and beat teams and take control so the game doesn't come down to a play late. Never know what they are going to do on offense . Against Davidson they didn't run the QB, use the jet sweep or play action . It was like they said , OK we'll not sue these normal ways of attacking the defense as we have all year and we'll do other things. Well in that game they never really made a big play on defense either as they kind of looked like they had as much energy and enthusiasm as a young kid who has to browse through antique stores with his parents on a rainy day . Bottom line is once again a team that considers the Rocks a rival has more to play for and is more desperate and has more urgency. What kind of energy will they have themselves ? If it is the same as the Davidson game? Third place in their own league after many thought they were as good as anyone in CO have to go on the road in round one of the play-offs possibly.

Who will be out there playing ? Drennan has played about half the games in his 3 main years of varsity football after being the first Frosh to start for Coffman where he played in all the games that year. Since then it's been may be he plays may be he doesn't . Forget the all time Coffman great label that I figured would be apt. That ship sailed the more he watched from the sidelines . Just another real talented player who couldn't stay on the field unfortunately . I don't expect him to play tomorrow and have no idea how hurt he is , he looks fine on the sideline , but who knows. I don't so forgive me if I'm a bit much here. , I just know when I go to a game I expect that he won't be out there with his teammates . Some players go to the trainers room hoping or wishing they can't play or just saying they can't and some feign health so they can play . I saw that quote from the Coffman trainer circa 2009 in the Dispatch Going Campin" segment . It's true. Some people just want to compete more than others, and harder than others, and some will forever be on the sidelines watching and not too broken up about it really almost content . Not sayin that is the case but it makes me wonder . Thought last year was going to be more the norm than the exception . I was wrong .

So a nice Senior night it appears, a Senior group that has won 80 percent of their games since the start of their Soph year . Not bad . solid work , won two play-off games last year but lost a couple games in the 4th quarter this season against teams they could have beaten . Class hasn't been helped by not having one of the top Juniors in the state at safety all year and a starter on defense at DE moved away. He is a tough kid who plays with enthusiasm . He is missed . So do they get out toughed by a team who wants to show their stuff more and kick their win the league and make the plays offs taking advantage of a talented team who doesn't care as much as they do ?

Not saying they don't care or play hard , but it's been established that as a team they haven't matched a couple teams and opponents heart and effort , haven't played with that same passion . Haven't showed up big when it's counted as Coach Crabtree said in the press this week . Not quite as disciplined as they should be and haven't made the big play when needed . Two years ago they slept walked through the early part of the game giving up an onside kick , committing penalty's missing tackles etc. Tight End Kaleb Holcomb lit a fire by catching a big TD pass running through kids to get the team going. They don't use a tight end this year and most years since it was once a minor staple at least for years { No idea why } but who besides Threats will come up big emotionally? How much emotion focus and enthusiasm will they play with ?

Going on the road against a rival with a lot to play for and having that competitive fire to quiet the crowd and having the killer instinct o kick and sending the fans filing quietly out of the stadium isn't something that all teams possess . Does this team ? Not sure , but this game is a play-off game for you too Rocks . Seeding , home game , piece of the last OCC Central title? An opportunity to sow what you have make winning plays and finish 8-2 with a good opportunity to win a couple play-off games and play for a regional title? It starts tomorrow . UA will run it , may be complete a key pass or two or at least try to and shorten this game on a cold night . There are plays out there to make , there is a lot to play for. How much pride do you have ? How much do you want it ? You ony get so many opportunity's to play these games in these settings. Don't squander it .

Coffman 23 UA 14

Week 10 Final

There are a few games that aren't that interesting in terms of who may win or lose because there are favorites that seem to be firmly poised to win the game outright but in terms of making the play-offs it becomes interesting.

Groveport vs. New Albany is somewhat interesting I suppose but GPM is simply too big and strong and laying 18 points. NA may run into a buzzsaw tonight but GPM doesn't have a ton to play for .and NA is pretty much done this week and will turn in the equipment regardless . NA has won the last three so that changes tonight and I have no opinion point spread wise with not much on the line play-off wise and very little seeding wise .

Watterson St Chazz ? Pass , not much on the line . Canal Big Nut ? Canal needs to win to make the play-offs so that's a big game for them I guess. 18 is the line here as well and I have zero opinion . Seems a tad high as Big Nut has a small chance at the play-offs ? OK a smidge of a chance and are at home . Still no real opinion.

Four games do interest me some to take a stab at to round out the card . After last night's win with Hartley we are Sitting at 35-24 vs the Louie Line and 48--39 overall after a rough start vs the Cal Preps line the first 3 weeks when that was the only line available. 58-59 percent vs Louie';s line is pretty good, 55 percent overall is a bit down from where I would want to end up but there's time to get that percentage up with the play-offs coming . I will probably offer an opinion on every D-1 and D-2 play-off game and probably pick up the D-3 games at the regional final level.

Colerain at Fairfield - LP Line Fairfield - 10

Against this class undefeated Fairfield won by 4 16-12 vs Springfield. They beat play-off type team who is 5-4 Hamilton by 7 and 4-5 Lakota East by 6 . They have been better lately , but laying 10 to Colerain? Colerain lost their coach as Wayne did and are a bit off their peak but still good. This one should be a good one.

Fairfield 20 Colerain 16

Bradley - 11 at Hayes - Bradley needs more help than Cornerback Stefen Djordjevic of Ampipe High { Pa} would trying to cover Randy Moss of Dupont High { WV} to gain entrance to the play-offs.

Djordjevic was a 5-7 corner lacking good footspeed who was once asked by a college scout if he wanted to play " Pro Ball " . Steph smartly laughed at that absurd notion correctly opining that he just wanted a Engineering degree and to have some of his tuition covered if possible, because his Dad and Brother were barely hanging onto their jobs at the 'goddamn mill".

Well Central Crossing in kind of playing the role of Djordjevic trying to Cover Moss who is being played by Marysville . Marysville wins and they are in though . CC ? Were tied with UA into the 4th quarter . They finished poorly losing by 21 padded by a pick six later on. Bradley rolls as they at least do what they can do. Bradley 31 Hayes 16

Speaking of

Marysville Vs. Central Crossing - LP Line M-Ville - 15

CC isn't that bad and they play ahrd, but last week they kind of blew their wad so to speak and came up short so how much energy do they have to play the run over and over again against a team some think is better than UA ? They won't .

M-Ville 34 CC 11

I am going to the city league making a rare appearance in this circle for my last game.

Centennial at Whetstone - LP Line Centy - 26

First appearance in these spaces and I lamely give them a nickname? LAME . OK I will give them props as the top Columbus public school academically speaking. Very Suburban feel to this school. Whetstone likewise feels a bit un-city like themselves but Centy is the bell cow of the Columbus High schools . Clearly the top team in the city this year with no close calls in league play and only a one point loss to Grandview Heights blemishing their record. Need to win to get in as a 6 seed in region 11. Whetstone is overmatched here and in the way. The Roses are in for it at home .

Centy 44 Whetstone Roses 8

Bundle up HS football fans , just a month ago I was in shorts and small droplets of sweat could be seen from some brows and upper lips in the stands . The season moves fast , the weather changes quickly kind of like Peter Brady's voice , one day to the next , one album to the next. You may have to " rearrange" your wardrobe and pull out that hat from the closet. Louie P and Joey E will be hard at work and they will have their projections and match-ups later tonight when we are settled in at home with a fire may be and possibly a brandy . Good luck to the hopeful and bravo to those players who gave it everything they had on the practice fields , in the weight-room , the fields and stadiums on Friday nights Saturday Mornings and any other odd time for four years of persevering and laying it on the line every week through injury's, disappointments , victory's and triumphs , bitter defeats and ultimately the end of your high school football career's and in many cases your last time putting on the pads . Football take a special commitment , you made that commitment and you are commended for it. Fans of all programs should give an extra clap tonight for these guys , especially if it is their last games. They deserve it .

On to week 11 . R-3 is full of rematches , R-2 is Springfield as the clear favorite with a probability of at east one upset on Friday IMO , R-1 is as usual is the Mentor - St Ed's invitational with Mentor the sentimental favorite if not the better team by a small margin due to their coach Triv being in his last year there. R-4 is Elder or X with no disrespect to Colerain or Fairfield its' just what is going to happen .

Saw the Cal Preps predictions which in many cases are close to Louie P's lines but ion some cases quite a bit off. I will point those out and it will be a guaranteed best bet or two as a result.

Coffman played with a modicum of heart on Friday. Some of the usual suspects stepped up playing with the heart and effort that has bene apparent all season. Threats , Mathews , Wolf Williams the Jr pair LB's and the first year starters on defense in general played hard as usual and the O-Line made a few mistakes but had no lack of effort. Coach Crabtree's post game interview on the scoreboard show was telling. I like listening to the scoreboard show which you can listen to live or later on which you can find on the twitter feed of this weeks news.

He spoke of injuries and the dearth of running backs after Diallo hobbled off early on and was pontificating about how after 3 months of work off season 3 scrimmages and 10 games that like many teams there are bumps and bruises and some wear and tear evident with some kids . He spoke of the lack of Discipline at times as he has at other times this season as well. Then went on to cite that the mental make-up is more important than the physical which will follow the mental and that 'Some" player{s} may be weaker mentally and not willing to go through some discomfort and would rather watch the game with a jacket on and not be out there with their teammates. " That's where we are at " he closed with .

Well it will be cold very cold on Friday so i suppose the thought could be ,well , i can sit with a few layers on and watch my teammates again or go out there show some heart and go out there and help my teammates in a play-off game . My thought is 'Nah , we can win without me , may be it will be warmer next week and I will be more comfortable ".

We all know what Coach is talking about here . All coaches in many sports want to cultivate a type of 'brotherhood" where the strength of the team is in closeness and camaraderie where the players feel accountable TO EACH OTHER , don't want to let their teammates down by not giving full effort working hard and sacrificing and sometimes going through some discomfort. This team doesn't seem to have that FULL commitment and feeling for each other . The Brotherhood is only present in factions , not a 100 percent all in 'We all have each others backs type feeling.

I wrote about this when prompted by a poster who saw the DeSales scrimmage where many Coffman guys sat out and the performance was pretty bad and the encouragement on the sideline from the certain 'Star" players was lacking ,not really apparent and that DeSales was 1000 percent more invested in the scrimmage. All true I admitted , I was there . So the crux of the matter I said was this staff has a lot of experience and continuity and that as usual they will get the team more together and be ready to roll once the season gets started. Well that was true , they played pretty well even without their two most recruited guys and Ohio State offered players .

But it has bene shown in the close losses a certain lack of discipline or making plays when it counts most and also not having some key players out there and a certain lack of being all in resulted in two very narrow losses . I said before the season and I certainly don't feel this way every year that the team was capable of beating all 10 teams on the schedule . That was certainly true . Last year I thought they could play with anyone on the schedule and that was true as well . Davidson game they lost last year they were without three key players and difference makers . This year again a few key guys who probably make a difference . In the PN loss a lack of being able to put a team away with a couple chances to do so and it bit them , Drennan played no real role, Kirk wasn't out there and their D-1 D-Lineman went out early . In that game Threats didn't play offense , he has 17 Td's this year. In the Davidson game they never went play action which had produced multiple big plays and their Quarterback who has been integral to the run game never carried the ball . Head scratching coaching decisions to be sure .

All this being said , it's a lack of real togetherness and a brotherhood that is readily apparent where some feel no real connection to their teammates, no real accountability to being even a slightly dependable and willing to suck it up and just get out on the field and play and this comes out in some glitches in discipline.

Players not even being on the sidelines with their teammates , guys not wanting to play with even the slightest discomfort as if they are above the program and their coaches and teammates. In the end how you are remembered as a player and a person isn't by your prowess on the field , you spin moves , your physical size and strength , your 'offers". It's about what kind of leader or teammate you were, how dependable you were, what kind of heart you showed . Being a teammate that would block and sacrifice your body to help your brothers, rehabbing your off to get back on the field when injured, playing through discomfort because you can't imagine having your brothers think you don't have their backs.

It is unfathomable to me as a competitor myself that some don't have the desire to get out there and compete if at al possible and having it kill them if they cant' be out there. I have seen some real heart personally on my teams in the past and in this community with kids and my own kid . I watched a teammate and class mate of mine since elementary school being told as a Senior where he was a first year starter that he was done for the season after getting hurt in the second to last game in the regular season . Team doctor and trainer broke the news and what I heard next was the sobbing of sheer heartbreak that he wouldn't be out there with his brothers in the post season. He was devastated. One of the toughest guys on our team . Not a recruit and was probably done playing football unless he wanted to at the D-3 level . He was a great teammate even not playing that post season. Yes he wasn't some big D-1 kid which we had a few of on that team , but he just wanted to PLAY COMPETE and be there for his guys . it meant something to him because he felt part of something bigger, not just what he was feeling or was about.

I saw back in 2007 Trey Fairchild who was banged up and missed the first play-off game and if it was earlier in the season he probably sits another two weeks . Well the next game vs Pick C he was out there , not 100 percent but busting his blocking downfield and playing in some pain . he caught a slant for a big first down his first catch of the game and the boost he gave the team was huge . They went on to win easily and Fairchild was better the next week in the regional final and was out there with his teammates in the heartbreaking loss to ST X .

On a very personal note I watched my daughter suffer a knee injury late in the season and her play in the tournament was questionable at best. I saw the disappointment but also the resolve and desire to do whatever she could to try to be out there in the team went fairly far in the tournament which they more than not did at that time . { And this year losing last night in the Semifinals}

As the team advanced her Dr. Pete Edwards who most know said she was coming along fine but being fully cleared wasn't probably going to happen before the season got done . A week went by and the team advanced to the regional final . She was cleared not because she was 100 percent but Dr. Edwards said that knowing how important it was and that she would likely not make the injury worse give here the clearance because it was the state Semifinals and a possible trip to the finals. He flat said he would not have done so if earlier in the season. The next thing he said stuck with me . He said it was basically going to be a matter of being able to withstand the pain and be able to perform with that pain .

I remember how she felt she was letting down her teammates even knowing she wasn't able to play . Al she could do was try to get back as soon as she could which is what she did . Well the state semi 's came and she was cleared, couldn't do much in that one as it was really painful to even kick the ball with that leg and even passing the ball was uncomfortable but she tried . State final was a few days later and she felt a little better after icing for hours upon hours. She got on the field at Crew stadium in the state final playing with a lot of pain ,. Things didn't go that well for the team or her as she was involved in couple of physical plays including getting kicked in that very knee. I had seen for a week the look on here face as she was close to being cleared , the pain was real and it was uncomfortable . The excruciating pain after getting booted I the bad knee was excruciating . She tried to give it a go in the second half but it was clear it was over, she wasn't going to be as effective as someone else who was fully healthy . Very proud that she felt that way about her team and the accountability she felt as a teammate to do whatever it took to get back as soon as possible and try to play through some pain.

Those who know me and my family reading this know this real story but there are many similar story's out there in many sports with many athletes who just feel accountable and some responsibility to their program and very importantly their brothers and sisters who they sweat with , train hard with , win with , lose with and play for and with . Edwards subsequently did two major surgery's on my daughter's knees and the very next year she missed the season with a ACL injuring it in the pre-season , but stayed with the team doing what she could to be a good teammate and a member of the team. I still have that clipping that tells of her and another teammate who also blew her knee out being there for the team supporting it in any way they could . I still to this day have that feeling for my former teammates as even into adulthood the bond was and is real.

Great quote from the book Friday Night lights was pretty simple from Coach Gary Gaines as the team was ;preparing for the play-offs . He said the team had a special closeness and that they needed to draw on that when things didn't go well . They had 52 Varsity players on that team that year{ Juniors and Seniors } he said " 52 Brothers are hard to beat". Can Coffman play with that closeness ? Can they feel accountable and be there for their teammates ? if so they have a chance to win a few games this month , if not they will fall by the wayside being known as a talented team that was missing something .

Last edited:
Just got a text regarding the above post. Mostly positive , some not as much. I will say the topics I write about are basically part of a learning process on how to deal with adversity, failures, injury's and dynamics that will be present throughout people's lives. A coach of mine once gave us a few minute talk about the quitting concept. We had a player who had officially quit the team after about a month including pre-season and then the start of the season . The kid who I knew well from my neighborhood realized that things hadn't gone the way he had hoped and he wasn't going to start or get a lot of playing time most likely . He was always a good player coming up but in our program { Baseball in this case} had a lot of talent and others who were good players would also have to sit and not start. Just the way it was .

Anyway coach said that quitting is something that becomes easier once you do it the first time . You quit one thing and then the next time you quit becomes easier and can become a theme through your life . Like anything positive or negative the more you do things the easier it gets right? I have moved six times as an adult cross country back again and now Mid west settling here where my kids weren't born but went through school and basically grew up . It is always stressful and a pain in the as anyone who has moved knows. BUT the more you do it the better you get at handling that stress and the logistics of the process . You are more confident , more equipped with experience . Speaking to a group is terrifying to most as it is one of our biggest fears as people . You do it a few times you are more comfortable with it , it's always a bit stressful but it's more about the material than the act itself scaring you.

Same goes with quitting , sitting out , calling in sick to work , not being accountable to your co workers and company. That kid who quit baseball , quit basketball the next year , quit other school activities as well . He was a smart kid who got good grades but he got real good at quitting . Know that when things got tough at his first few jobs after college he quit . Probably hasn't been quite as successful as his potential and smarts would have suggested . He got very comfortable with quitting or giving up a bit wen things got a little uncomfortable .

Isn't that what it's all about as parents ? You don't allow your kids to quit things they join when they are young , they start something , they finish it. You don't have to continue with that activity after it's over this year but you don't quit during the year. They learn that accountability and responsibility . Quitting on something or going through the motions isn't an option . This also becomes learned behavior and becomes easier to deal with that adversity or things not going your way the next time it happens and there will be many next times for most of us .

You see the people at work who pack it in when things aren't going well , they give up , it;s easier not to care than to really work to improve the situation . That is learned behavior and was probably present during their younger more formative years. Showing up to work consistently and being accountable is something you show your kids , it's not what happens because bad and unfortunate things will happen to everyone but how you react to it that counts in life. A lot of clichés to be sure being spewed by me this morning but they aren't corny and they are important .

Do you sulk and pout when things aren't going well ? Do you mentally shut down and make excuses ? Do you then physically shut down and quit? Some of the proudest moments we see in our kids and I ourselves aren't always about scoring the big goal or winning the big game , it really isn't . It's usually the little things and gestures , the work ethic , watching the kids keep their heads up and keep plugging even when things aren't working out very well . Playing hard till the end in a game that is lost , being a good teammate and a coachable player are things I am very proud of personally and with my kids. Trying to overcome disappointment and mental anguish, reacting well to disappointment . Keep fighting.

None of us come to this naturally, it's a PROCESS , hopefully you have guidance at home or at school or somewhere else to teach you , but in the end whatever way you react to these things becomes easier over time either positively or negatively .

Now onto pure football . Coffman got a slice of the last OCC Central Crown as presently constituted with a 28-14 win over the new Davidson model UA Bears. I think that Soph QB should think about transferring now or forever holding his peace with a goal of never attempting a pass the next two years. Monin I believe his name is has a good arm, well it will get plenty of rest for the rest of his career if he stays . Coach more committed to that style than I thought he might be. Enabled them to beat Davidson and Marysville I guess and may be the personnel that is coming out will be successful with the run only offense . Soph RB Greysock is very good so who knows may be UA becomes extremely successful .

Coffman getting back to some of the things that they do well . Making their opponent defend the whole field using the play action, throwing downfield once in a while and having the QB run the ball once in a while with great success in crucial situations. Against Davidson and PN they didn't do this as much and the Davidson game not at all against a suspect run defense no less. So first half saw both team get short fields and capitalize on it . Coffman stopped on 4th down at the 35 and UA fumbling on the 22 . 14-7 margin was a result of a 56 yard pass to Williamson , a beautiful throw by Mathews may be one of his few best all season .

threats goes 84 to the end zone to make it 21-7 , UA with the response with Greysock running well gets it to 21-14 but takes a lot of time off of the clock. Coffman with the response and after going for it on 4th and 1 or 2 twice and missing , Coffman again sees a 4th and one deep in UA territory , when I thought the FG was probably the right call to get to 2 scores , but kudos to Coach for going for it and Threats with a great jump cut slithering run goes into the end zone to seal the deal. UA ran well at times , but were out gained by a bushel { 240 } and couldn't defend the whole field vs this caliber of athletes.

Drennan again sat out , Diallo went out early so Threats and LB Williams had to carry the ball along with JV RB Ian Carroll even getting one carry . Not sure about Diallo's status this week , but presuming Drennan will not playing going forward the RB stable is thinner. The thing is Threats and Williams are needed on defense so not having an offense only RB in Drennan out there puts the team in a bind . Diallo also plays defense but if he can't go there is a depth problem in a few areas. Defense needs to be at their best this week as Perrysburg is experienced and has talent . The level of competition in their league sows to some of the gaudy offensive stats where the QB has thrown for 2200 yards and they have a 1000 yard rusher as well , they present a challenge. The offense conversely needs to up some points as well to keep up possibly. Rocks match the intensity , run the ball make them defend the field and they should be OK , BUT it won't be easy . 2017 season opener was not competitive . Coffman won easily.{ 45-0 } Last year however was much more competitive{ { 20 point margin } and this year should be more competitive than that . Pasteur has it Coffman -12 Cal Preps a 17 point margin . Rocks have to be at their best and play with passion and execution . Be a difficult team to play against in a few respects. Rocks need to play as a team and the next man up thing has to take hold . Control what you can control , you can't control who wants to play or not , who is going to be out there, but to those ballers who are out there need to work the next couple days to be prepared for what this team does which is a balanced attack and be ready to execute their offense to it's fullest with what you have out there.

Anything less and you can lose this week . Great to see WR Yousey back out there , a kid who was out a few weeks and got back last week and made a key third and long reception against UA. Things hadn't gone as well as he would have liked I am sure , but he stuck with it got back , blocks his AZZZ off , is a team player and has good pass catching potential which he has sown at times and showed big time at a key juncture with the Rocks facing 3rd and long after a couple penalties and the game only 21-14 . Big time catch and first down that kept the drive alive and the Rocks scored eventually putting the game on ice.

UA played a clean game with zero penalties , Rocks had about 50 yards in flag yardage. Got to clean that up this week.

Good posts, Harry. Hartley had a kid a couple of seasons ago that was an offensive lineman. Never started on varsity in his first three years, and didn’t seem like any kind of impressive player. But had the right measurables. Looked good in camps. Good feet. Great hips. Superb balance. Better than average reach. No fire. Didn’t look 100% sure he really wanted to be there. But punched his D1 ticket.

First game of season was home against Toledo Central Catholic. Started out looking listless. Then confused. Standing around. Plays happening around him but he’s doing nothing. On one play linebacker comes within range and he just stands there like a tree. Had easy chance to serve up a pancake. Did nothing. Runner tackled for short or no gain. I lost it. I stood up and screamed “take him out!” I’m sure the fans around me thought I lost my mind. All to no avail.

Brad (I know you aren’t his biggest fan) saw what I saw and freaked out before I did. Called the kid over to the sideline. No idea what he said. But I can guess. If you don’t want to play for this team, you can quit now. #2 is willing to take your spot and I just gave it to him. Kid sat out that series. Played OK rest of game but got better as season progressed. Had a career game against DeSales.

Crabby is a good guy. Needs to just cut the guys who won’t play. And the community needs to support him. No matter how many stars they have.

I respect Burchfield and what he does and has done over there no question he can coach and lead. I call him Saint Brad because he can be a bit over dramatic at times and hold the program in the holier than thou vane at times , no big deal , he is outspoken at times and that is a good thing , just as coaches being honest and insightful in interviews. Geciwich of Jerome is legitimately funny in his interviews. Quick wit and he will engage in coach speak at times but even makes fun of that. Jerome hired the right guy as many on the old Huddle board thought as well nd they have had back to back to back to back top classes in Dublin at thew younger levels so expect them to make noise the next few years if not this year.

I was impressed the way you guys came back vs DeSales , wasn't your best game but like a pitcher without his best stuff you9 buckle down and find a way to win by battling hard. Team isn't missing much of what it takes to go deep this year , learned from last year I am sure and the experience will come in handy .

My feelings which I made pretty clear is maturing and being accountable is a process . Becoming unselfish is a process as most little kids are at least a little self centered. Football is a tough sport , pain is a constant companion in some way, especially as the season goes on . I mean who after about 2 and half months isn't bruised and a little beaten up ? The feeling of the brotherhood is important because when it comes down to it you aren't playing for the fans or the coaches or even the school, it's for the guys on the field with you , the guys you sweat with run with , win with and lose with .

You need to be accountable to each other first. Yes you paly for the name on the front of the shirt and you should feel somewhat accountable to your family fans and the community.

These kids have A lot of advantages and support from the community , They have excellent facilities, a great school community with teachers who would do anything for you and help you if you need it or ask for it . They have good experienced coaches who put them in positions to succeed . Most have excellent family support , so in my mind when much is given , there should be a lot of responsibility taken . Part of that responsibility is playing hard , working hard and being a guy who is accountable and dependable . Coaches remember you with those things in mind , not that you might be 6-4 275 and have 6 offers or have blazing speed with loose hips and have 9 offers . To this day I still feel like my teammates I had growing up are my brothers and over the years those bonds have manifested itself in being there for each other at times in small and big ways . Not everyone has that feeling. You try to get as many guys as you can to give it all they have for each other and who feel that bond with each other because when you have that you will do everything you can not to let those guys down.

I have no idea whether he will play or not and at this point ? It seems he's comfortable watching> I do know that if he can play and chooses not to , it will stay with him personally and looking in the mirror will be tougher for him and his legacy will be greatly affected. Looking in the mirror is always a great barometer . You do that and you can't lie . Are you giving enough? Are you working hard enough? Are you being a good teammate ? Are you trying to be better than you were yesterday? Are you striving to learn and grow? Ryan Day had a good short clip about that very thing. I brig that up because I just remembered one of my hockey coaches use that phrase all the time in a few different contexts . Look in the mirror .

Football isn't equally important personally to every team member , it just isn't .For some of it is LIFE, to some it's fun and they are pretty good at it . Some just want to be part of the team . To some it's a vehicle to get to college or even have college paid for partially or more fully . But regardless what the depths of your passion are? You should be accountable to be the best you can be because of the way you feel for your teammates as part of a TEAM . You might know you are done after HS but that doesn't mean you won't put in the time to be in shape to get stronger a bit faster and quicker and work your off to be the best version of yourself because you don't want to be a guy who hurts the team at some point .

Coffman has guys with this attitude , they really do and have over the years , but I think some mirrors are needed .

Last edited:
Week 11

Closed the regular season out strong vs. The LP line going 9-2 overall to bring me to 44-26 vs the Pasteur numbers and 56-41 overall as the first three weeks had to be against the Cal Preps line before Louie got going . Going to take a stab at all the D-1 games from now until the final and in D-2 going to pick a handful this week and may be al next week . D-3 won't be looked at until the regional finals and then the rest of the way . Games

R-1

# 1 St X vs. Mason - LP line ST X - 19 CP Line 18

I think ST X is going to go to the state final if I had to pick right now . Not a juggernaut X team but then again there is no unstoppable force in D-1 this year. Mason is MEH , some uneven results . Lost to R-2 Springboro by 4 TD'S , as I was saying not much of a real gap between the two regions as some offered that there was . Played well vs Colerain and seem to be improving though . Beat Play-off qualifier ;Princeton impressively . X is good and as always played a great schedule but this line seems a few points too high . Mason has played some good teams pretty well save LaSalle who waxed them. Coin flip ? Back door for Mason?

ST X 30 Mason 13

# 4 Elder vs. # 5 Lakota West - LP Line Elder - 19 CP - 19

Another one that is 19 points in fact three of the 4 are set at 19 points in R-1 . Again this one seems a bit high to me . Elder scores in bunches but gives up points in bunches as well . Bolden has done the play-off routine a time or two in his day. Elder wins but I think that backdoor may be open as well.

Elder 37 LKW 20

# 3 Colerain vs. Princeton - LP Line Col - 19 CP -18 -

Lines aren't misprints , coincidence I suppose that 3 are at 19 and the 4th one is at 25 , so not the most competitive region really with 4 perceived mismatches .

For the third time I see a line that is heavy . Colerain had a huge victory as a rare league underdog last week. Don't like to think of a team having a bit of a hangover in round one but I have seen this before . Held the serve in league play , won in a year many thought you may be less of a juggernaut, lost coach and less margins of victory . Princeton going back to the glory days was predicted as a result of a couple key transfers . Results have bene mixed and inconsistent. . Rematch which Colerain won by only a TD the first time around earlier in the season. Princeton laid an egg last game vs Mason . On their best days Princeton has been pretty good , but a few head scratchers. Pretty inconsistent .

Not much Play off experience going against a team that is paying great attention even off of the big win because the first game was closer. Gut feel is Colerain rolls a bit and just covers this line

Colerain 34 Princeton 13

#2 Fairfield vs. # 7 Hamilton - LP Line FF - 25 CP - 24

Another large line where the first match-up was a 7 point margin earlier in the season . See this one along the same lines as I do the others so when I see that extra 6 points ? Instinct says take them . FF will just get by and advance with little incentive to hammer this club .

FF 34 Hamilton 16

Week 11 Cont.

R-3

#4 Groveport vs. Davidson - LP Line GPM - 4 CP - 4

These first few the LP and the CP lines are real close. Isn't the case in al as you will see . Discussed this game in the game thread so not going to go into it again. But I will say I changed my mind in who the winner was going to be in a close low scoring contest. I think this one will be closer than 4 anyway so I feel confident whoever I would choose. Davidson has had a couple games they looked pretty sharp , Coffman and Darby? A few they did what they should do and a few they were not real good or sharp. QB has run more and more effectively the last part of the season . Running backs are young or not real dynamic but productive at times.

GPM has a large Line on both sides . Davidson will get low and try to be effective with their double teams and man in slow motion making his blocks and get the 4.3 a rush. New Albany result is a real head scratcher . Almost but no As much of one as the 28-7 Delaware win over Jerome .but this result Doesn't compute . Don't want to judge any team by their finest moments or worst ones so I won't put a ton of stock into it but yo9u can't just ignore it can you? GPM did a very good job on the Pick C run game which is different than Davidson's style obviously but it is noted. Getting gashed by NA and a 138 pound RB is hard to overlook though . The thing I come back to is GPM is a good running football team and HD isn't a great run stop unit this year . Talented back scan find some room and make things happen vs them . Coin flip but i'll grab the points here

GPM 17 HD 15

# 1 Liberty vs. # 8 Westy Central - LP Line OL - 14 { Huh } CP Line - 3

11 point difference after the first 5 games i looked at were basically the same lines . Liberty getting mucho respect by Mr. Pasteur's numbers crunch . OL has lived right and they do live well in Powell. Program rolls in the play-offs lately , doing what they have to do with always a well disciplined mentally tough team that is well coached . Westy C stumbled after cruising for the first month getting revenge vs PN after two years of having their lunch money taken and getting an atomic weggie. The first three games were against Air Academy , Least resistance Prep , and Sieve High school. Westy C has some momentum and a new lease on life as they weren't guaranteed even with their big win last week . I see a real close one with WC narrowly winning , finishing drives a bit better as they are a better team material wise and hopefully for their sake keep the momentum going from a discipline standpoint. Hyatt is back and that's HUGE .

WC 23 Liberty 20

Week 11 Cont.

R-3 Cont.

Pick Central vs. R-Burg - LP Line PC - 17 CP - 12

Both teams off of easy wins and Burg still stinging over the butt kicking they took from PC a few weeks ago . PC got their revenge after last years close loss. Coach White admitted his team used a poor strategy trying to mirror last year's game plan. This isn't last year , teams change. He also admitted they got beaten up physically. Makes sense seeing as PC was really fired up to right last years wrong. Burg has two quality Qb';s Whatley and Jennings can sling it and move around , Strickland and Co can go get the ball. Burg will give a better account this time . PC has made the play-offs 14 straight times. Burg has made it in back to back years for the first time ever. Could get ugly but my instinct is to take the lumber when in doubt. Can PC be a bit over confident ? Coaches will implore them to not do that but when you beat down a team like PC did it can be a tough sell.

PC 27 Burg 13

Orange vs. Pick North - LP Line Orange - 7 CP - 1

Six points difference ? PN beat this team kind of convincingly in Superman Sawyer's first game at QB . He has gotten a bit smoother throwing the ball at this point. He ran for 150 the first game vs. this club. Orange coach has made tackling Sawyer a main priority. Do they spy him? Lawrence didn't play last week at RB but a Frosh ran for over 100 . They will need Lawrence this week , hopefully he can go . Scott is the best skill kid on the field and he will have to be doubled . PN has been a more physical team taking on the personality of .Sawyer it seems rather than a fancy passing game spread it out and outscore folks. Orange has bene better than anyone could have imagined . Got Westy C without Hyatt, nipped Liberty , struggled in the first two games not getting a margin vs. Kilbourne and nipping Bradley . Kind of like Liberty as in really disciplined and sound but unspectacular . Living right and things just working out for them . QB is efficient throwing for 1600 yards with 16 Td's and only 3 picks . Vanchieri is a workhorse gaining almost 900 yards. Reliable productive if not unspectacular receivers. Good smart Lb's . All added in they are a tough out and this game should be close. Game closer than last time

PN 23 Orange 20

Last edited:
Week 11 Cont.

R-1

# 2 St. Ed's vs. Medina - LP Line SE - 24 CP - 18 -

Medina gives up chunks of points , SE scores a ton . Medina is one of those programs that gets excited when their younger classes do well and this year I believe they are doing well . Oh well . SE is kind of hot and I like them and Mentor to be the champ depending on who wins. Oh that's right they need to win this one . They will.

St Ed's 40 Medina 14

#1 Mentor vs. # 8 Cleveland Heights - LP line " Menner" - 31 CP - 38 -

Pretty familiar with the Cleveland Heights and University Circle area, head that way from time to time . Nice New facility at Heights , good story making the play-offs, but I think of a sheep being led to slaughter . You can come in , don't be shy little lamb. CH gets their heads cut off here unfortunately . Coach Triv has built a powerhouse , best program never to win a state title? Could be .

Mentor 45 CH 6

# 4 Canton Mick vs. # 5 Solon - LP Line CM - 1 CP line CM - 6

This one is for a few of my 'fans" little known fact . Solon has the second largest percentage Asian population in Ohio . Trivia question is which city has the most? Hint : Look at the top of the page . Submit your answer if you would like . My daughter has a good friend at college from Solon . Yes she is Asian . OK Solon is an academic powerhouse and a great community . They have good football teams at times as well. This is a decent team . This line is weak. I have McKinley about a TD better more in line with Cal Preps . CM off the huge rivalry game Solon on a 4 game winning streak. CM has a bit too much here.

Canton Mick 24 Solon 17

# 3 Euclid vs. # 6 Massilon Jackson - LP Line Euclid - 9 CP - 7

Crunched a few numbers , looked at the resumes and saw no real angle numbers wise here . The numbers at 7 and 9 look right so in that case when in doubt?

Grab instead of give

Euclid 33 Mass Jack 29

Week 11 Cont.

R-2

# 2 Toledo Whitmer vs. # 7 Northmont - LP Line Whitmer - 9 CP Northmont - 1

Another vastly different opinion from the two sites. For what it's worth my number if pressed is Whitmer - 4 which tells you where I will be going here. Whitmer is home and is far away from Northmont and that to me is worth something . In other words I feel the two clubs are very close in strength on a neutral . Long trip on a cold night . Northmont has played a tough schedule that has prepared them for this level of competition . Lost by 10 to Coffman , 11 to Springfield , 6 to Trotwood , and 6 to Springboro . Three of those teams are in R-2 as you9 can see. Whitmer had a horrible game vs Toledo CC as they were basically a pick em but lost by 28 . Whitmer can give up some points , Northmont can score soe ina hurry with some talented receivers with speed. Coffman had a good plan and a good pass rush . Springfield has a stout defense , Trotwood isn't as good as previous editions but can run . Whitmer has a veteran QB in Keller a three year starter and a 4 year player . They got a stud transfer in Senior RB Banks who is a difference maker . Could he be the difference ? Looks really good on film . Tough ,productive and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Could be a higher scoring game if wind isn't too involved .

I'll trust my number here

Whitmer 34 Northmont 30

# 4 Jerome vs. # 5 Springboro LP Line Boro - 9 CP - 11

Rare home dog but it is a 4-5 match-up. On paper it looks like Boro is the better club . Safe to say that Jerome doesn't go 9-1 palying Boro's schedule . Boro plays Celtics slate? pretty close to what Jerome did . Really solid number here no question . Jerome at their best is capable of beating this team but probably only if Boro is a bit off , not a lot off but somewhat. Springboro if victorious gets the joy of trying to atone for their 23-0 loss to Springfield . Not the best reward but they should win here . I respect Jerome and how they go about things , but the consistency is a bit off at times and I think this type of victory may be a year away .

Boro 27 Jerome 14

Week 11 Cont.

Finishing up D-1 and will opine and predict on the local Central Ohio D-2 teams later today may be another game or two in D-2 .

# 1 Springfield vs # 8 Marysville - LP Line S-Field 27 CP -28

M-ville may be in a tough one tonight as S-Field is a very good run stop team. Some size and speed and they will be a tough match-up here for a growing and going in the right direction M-Ville team . M-Ville defense will also have it's hands full here. This will be a measuring stick game as in they will see where the top of the region is and where they need to get better to compete with this type of team. They had Davidson 14-0 and 14-3 at the half and never challenged after that . They won't be ahead here . S-Field was a bit closer than most thought vs Trotwood . Wake -up call?

S-Field 38 M-ville 9

# 3 Coffman vs. # 6 Perrysburg- LP Line DC - 12 CP - 17

Lines seem about right , I've talked about Coffman more than enough this week , some good some not so much , but the bottom line is they need to and I think they are smart enough to come out like this is the best team they are facing this year . Very familiar foe as they have played them the last two years. P-Burg was younger in 2017 and Coffman was simply too big and strong for them. Last year Coffman had less starters back than P-Burg had and the game reflected that . Coffman was a bit too fast overall and made a few big plays but the game was much more competitive .
Initiate contact , be sound in your assignments and alignment and ball out in a fast and relentless fashion for 5- 7 seconds . Guys have to make plays and you play physical and grind out a win. Their QB is a full bearded 4 year starter who will throw the ball all over the place. They will run half the time with a solid RB who has gained 1000 yards . Field position battle , special teams need to be sound and tackling needs to be really good and those things should bring the victory. Drennan playing will help him and the team . He is a unique playmaker when fully motivated and focuses as we saw last year . Not sure if he is playing. If not they have enough playmakers to get the job done but he opens up- things for others and will make some big plays as he did last year vs this club . O-line needs to take care of business to give the talented playmakers room ,

P-Burg hasn't played a really good team in a while , show them what that looks like early and don't let up . Ball out with full effort , playmakers make plays and defense make them earn everything. Go Rocks .

Coffman 35 P-Burg 20

Probably the most improbable loss I’ve ever seen for Davidson.
Up 17-6 with about 4 min left in game. Pinned Groveport back at 5 yard line.
Groveport proceeds to have 95 yard touchdown run.
Recovers onside kick.
Davidson just couldn’t seize momentum back after that.
GM scores another TD with about 30 seconds left.
Certainly an entertaining 4th quarter.
Sort of one of those things where one team just wasn’t going to lose.
Congrats to their team and fans on fighting til the end.

Probably the most improbable loss I’ve ever seen for Davidson.
Up 17-6 with about 4 min left in game. Pinned Groveport back at 5 yard line.
Groveport proceeds to have 95 yard touchdown run.
Recovers onside kick.
Davidson just couldn’t seize momentum back after that.
GM scores another TD with about 30 seconds left.
Certainly an entertaining 4th quarter.
Sort of one of those things where one team just wasn’t going to lose.
Congrats to their team and fans on fighting til the end.

I’m with you . I was following that game and it looked like Davidson had the game won a few different times. 10-0 with about 7 left after the fumble return I thought ? This is done . Then to their credit they score to make it 10-6!. Then a TD Pass ?? 17-6 I said WOW huge play , game over . 95 yard TD run was surreal BUT they still needed to get the onside kick . They get it and then complete passes ?

I will say Davidson played that third down as well as they could have . They collapsed the pocket almost sacked him and the kid was well covered . One of those plays that happens may be once in about 20 tries .

Got in late and my eyes are tired, having trouble scanning all the scores, but are there any Hilliard teams left in the playoffs?

Saw probably the most impressive H.S. running QB talent I've ever seen last night in Anthony Wayne's Mason Alberts, he torched Berlin for 300+ and several long TD runs. He's more than just fast, he slashes, runs with purpose, makes devastating cuts, he was going to make some college program very happy. Unfortunately he had what appeared to be a devastating leg/knee injury at the end of the 3Q and he seems done for this year, at a min. Apparently has an offer from Toledo, but I would have to imagine he was going to get more, given he just started playing QB in week 2, but that was before the injury.

Berlin played the typical Berlin game, but did recover from the early game funk a little faster than normal. Down 21-7 and driving, they threw a red zone INT which Alberts almost immediately turned into a long TD run and they were down 28-7 and that was pretty much it. Got a TD on the last play of the half to make it 28-14, but failed to score points on the opening kick of the 2nd half and fell behind 3 scores again. From that point on Berlin's offense was pretty much as unstoppable, and they closed it to 1 score, but a fumbled punt return in early 4Q doomed Berlin.

AW converted that to a FG to go up 16pts. Berlin drove the field again, got the 2pts, and after a mad scramble for an on-side kick, AW came up with it and was able to knee out the clock for a 44-36 win. Berlin looked good statistically, over 300 yards passing, 23 first downs, against a team who had given up 41 points the entire season coming into the game.

Tangy dismantled Troy, which was pretty easy to predict. Troy lost several goal-line stands on both sides of the ball to Tangy, which as all of you know here in C.OH is definitely not Tangy's strong suit at all. When you've been outclassed by both to Tangy's lines, that's some incredible weaksauce. With no Mason Alberts, AW still has a tough RB who is going to YSU next year, but they have no passing game to speak of at all and Tangy will be able to key 3 players on that RB and should win next week easily, setting up a match against TCC, who looks unstoppable.

Looking forward to some more details from the D1 recaps, we have LOT of C.OH schools still playing (Hilliard is represented in there, right?) and the next couple weeks should be fun.