Dublin Coffman 2019

Springfield is the favorite they have a loaded Senior class and some good underclassmen , They could beat PC , and Liberty hasn't exactly crushed everyone . Coffman won't beat Springfield unless they are healthy and play better , you are correct . Drennan I thought was going to be on the field , I don't want to blast the kid if he's hurt but he's been back the last few weeks ,.. Kirk ? No clue what's going on , he isn't on the sidelines even.

R-3 isn't a powerhouse region either , PC isn't consistent , was tooth and nail with PN tonight a team that got waxed by Northmont who will barely make it in the R-2 play-offs . Groveport? Good region, no Wayne in there like before { yes they are down this year but they were a big factor in R-3 when they were there} Westy Central isn't better than Coffman , either is Orange . So you won the game , this doesn't mean you9 area big boy team now playing real men in R-3 . Reynoldsburg? Should have lost to Central Crossing , lost to Gahanna a team Coffman among others beat the crap out of so spare me the Region 3 big boy crap. Seriously did you do an analysis before you puffed out your chest with the 'R-3 BIG BOYS STUFF? Look a little deeper next time . Marysville will be the 8 seed in R-2 , They just took UA to te mat but fumbled deep in UA territory and lost a close one , the team that beat you last week . If want to make the argument that it's a deeper region? YES i agree, but the Big Boys?

Harry,
I think it's time to admit that the Central Ohio DI this year just isn't that great. There isn't 1 or 2 obvious standout teams as there have been over the last 12 years or so with a rotating cast of Pick Central or Davidson (almost every year), Coffman (most years) UA, Liberty, Pick North (periodically) along with a few others for a year or two. I thought that Westerville Central might be that team this year early on, but they've seemed to almost flatline now. Maybe they can't get back motivated again for the playoffs, maybe not. But from what I can see, I don't see a single threat to challenge the R1 or R4 champ this year and even make the final. It just is what it is.

Can’t disagree with you . Coffman defense if they had coming back that I expected could have been a kick unit( move out injury’s and Kirk out all year ) . Hasn’t happened . Offense has been up and down but utilizing talent has been problem and Drennan a big disappointment as an underwhelming sit games out not interested in kicking kid as a former coach of mine used to say ( I want to be around kickers ) and going away from
In close games what staples of the offense had been is perplexing.

Threats is a stud kicker with attitude as Davidson saw Friday . He needs a little help though .

PC I hear is underwhelming at times considering their talent . PN is getting it but depth is a problem . Liberty knows how to hang on and get the victory but gets outshined each week by teams with some talent on offense . Westy Central is less than buttoned up and disciplined . Big yards can’t finish drives against solid defenses . ( Those first three games didn’t help them )

All teams have some problems or flaws in different areas that precludes them from
Being real State contenders or truly special teams . Some of us had high hopes including me as a Coffman guy but it just isn’t going to happen it seems .

Actually, I think the Region 3 champ has a reasonable shot at knocking off the Region 4 champ. I don’t think Colerain is quite what they have been in the past. St X and Elder are good, but not certainly not unbeatable.

However, I really don’t think anyone is going to beat St Ed’s in the playoffs, including Mentor in the inevitable rematch.

Mentor and Ed's would be clear larger favorites over R-2 champ perhaps, BUT I mean besides PC and I don't think they beat ST X certainly , who else has a good shot at beating them. Liberty is getting by every week barely in most cases , PN has talent but the depth of the Catholics would get them. Groveport ? R-Burg? I saw Davidson who played a great game to their potential but they can't stop a good running attack or a real talented back as their defense is MEH and they would be unlikely to play that well again { Coffman 7.8 a rush ?} Westy Central is good and probably should have beat Liberty and was without their best player vs Orange but I wouldn't see them winning 3 games. But I think you are correct Ed's and Mentor are probably the favorite to win the title and would be too tough a chore for anyone in R-2.

I do find amusing overhearing at the game and reading in this space Hilliard people puffing out chest about the big boys of R-3 compared to R-2 . Looking at it the difference isn't that much really . I did a quick look at the results of all games comparative scores , how teams would match-up and R-3 is a bit deeper but not this man vs boys scenario that makes some feel better about themselves.

Last edited:
I agree. Not much difference btw Region 2 & Region 3 this year.

If Liberty gets a few of those missing starters back, I still think both them and PC have capability of beating R-4 and I don’t really think it’d be a huge upset over St X or Elder.
Not sure anyone else. Groveport maybe? But are they ready to compete yet at state level?

I’m curious to see if Colerain finishes their conference undefeated or if Fairfield knocks them off in week 10.

All of western Ohio D1 is down this year as well, NEO is the only place where the football is still exceptional. SWO has experienced some dramatic falloffs with Moeller being unspeakably bad and I think you are going to start seeing a slow fade in Colerain which may have started this year with their coach leaving and town dying. Fairfield may be the best team down there right now, but need to see them against Colerain and a GCL team to be sure.

Rest of W.Ohio the only teams even worth mentioning are Springfield and Whitmer. Springfield did give Fairfield a good game but the rest of their schedule has been garbage. Can't tell where they fit in. Whitmer is another one of these teams with great skill players but poor line play (and as a result, questionable defense) and they have injury problems it sounds like. The only really good team they played was a blowout loss. So there's just not much good going on right now in D1 in the western or central part of the state.

Colerain is definitely not as good as previous editions as is Wayne as both lost successful head coaches . St X just lost to LaSalle but they can beat anyone coming out of R-3.as could Elder but I do agree that it would not be out of the realm of possibility for a couple of R-3 teams to hang with or even beat them .

Patriots helped a bit with a MEH weekend of football ending The NFL week at 3-3 , after a 5-4 CFB weekend and a 4-5 Louie Line record. Jets were thought by some to have some 'value" as a play , but of course the trend of the Patriots flat out mostly dominating but winning first and second year starters continued as it's now at a 20-0 run . Futures plays in the NFL are cruising along and doing much better than my College future win positions which are struggling. Michigan and TCU are both not bouncing back strong from last year and Texas needs another loss for me as they barely escaped vs Kansas this week. Patriots 49Ners and Ravens look good going OVER their posted totals BUT Arizona UNDER is going to be a tough one the way they are playing . Giants turning the ball over left and right was tough going against that low ranked defense hanging a loss on us .

Anyway the thing that makes handicapping or predicting games on a weekly basis difficult at times is you just don't always know what version of a team will show up on a given weekend. Wisconsin? Obvious look ahead to OSU but what in the holy heil was that? Anyone who laid 30 deserved that loss. I figured a vanilla version themselves to avoid OSU seeing much BUT once they were in a dog fight they needed to put them away .

Teams who usually over perform or play at a level they hadn't sown before often come back down to closer to what they have been on average previously . Team improve , but not overnight . Sometimes it's just your night and you play great and get some breaks when previously your level was average and you didn't get a lot of bounces. Conversely teams laying eggs and performing at less than their previous level often pick it up and get closer to what they had been previously on a consistent basis.

Jerome was case A this past week. After a head scratching 28-7 loss to Delaware laying a brontosaurus sized egg they came back with a vengeance crushing Bradley who was trying to desperately hang on to play-off hope. Olentangy a good at times team certainly not a top end team this year played a very underwhelming offensive game vs. Orange throwing for under 100 . Well they bounced back and played much better losing a very competitive game to Liberty . Speaking of consistency , Liberty is very consistently winning games often with a bend dont' break mentality and performance but always close the games strong or make just enough plays .

Westy Central got the week off to a poor start with almost 400 yards and couldn't score much at all vs orange. No Hyatt certainly hurt , but that effort overall wasn't good enough . Very solid talent and a good team but fading a bit , losing games they could have won vs Teams that weren't better than them really . Coffman can say the same , leading in the second half, can't get separation , give up plays on defense don't have the ball for stretches but when they absolutely need to move the ball late when they lose the lead ? they do but fall short{ Score the TD vs North but miss the two point and go 50 yards vs HD before turning it over . Both team have narrow losses { Coffman two by a total of 3 points }.

I believe both clubs didn't force a turnover in either loss and lost that battle along with Field position . Scioto got the tables turned on them losing this time on a late drive but they can still make the play-offs but will have to beat Darby again like last year where they lost a brutal game where they probably were the better team . Berlin is a great story and big thanks to Kramer for giving us a good summary .

UA is coming on winning the last two weeks10-7 and 10-6 . They hadn't had this type of game until the last two weeks where they are now a possible play-off team . They bleed clock and play Davidson like football , not a fan of it in 2019 but it is what it is and it is harder to prepare for and play against because you simply don't see it much and there in lies the X factor. You also don't need great size or skill to be an effective offense as it is as much about deception , hiding the ball and cut blocking double teaming , not lining up and playing smash mouth exactly.

Marysville has another game this week against that type of offense which two weeks in a row may be taxing. If fresh ? I see them having a chance to win this year vs Davidson but can they hold up later in the game ? Mentally ? Physically?

DeSales misses covering by a couple points , they don't seem to be a real kicking margin team consistently. Can't win wit them. Hartley on the other hand crushed the spread and was a definite best bet laying just 8 vs overmatched Watterson. Another big win for Gahanna a team you should root for going forward .

Week 9

A couple days in summer like sun and heat { Ft Lauderdale } with some conch fritters , Fruity drinks by the water and lounging by a beautiful pool is a must fall getaway I must say . Some work but not much of it thankfully. Anyway not as many real interesting games to me this week in Central Ohio anyway . I have 7 listed this week . Iggy - ST X is interesting and there are a few Dayton area R-2 games that are a bit interesting as well. Some teams need to punch their definite play-off tickets this week and if they lose sweat out some results next week and still hope to gain entrance.

If you look around the landscape of Co D-1 football with a couple OCC D-2 programs as well you9 see some parity . Does this mean there aren't 'Great " teams ? There don['t see to be that one or two as has been opined in the above spaces team that are separate from the others, A few steps above looking down a bit. On a given night the middle tier may be able to play with a perceived upper tier team? Motivations, incentives, energy, and urgency dynamics are not equal week to week in some match-ups. Things happen , injuries, less than fully invested emotionally , some bad luck , poor coaching decisions and at times refs seem to get some things wrong that hurt you one week and may be help the next.

PC as we thought at the start seems to be the best but not by large or wide margin. And after them the large handful of others seem to have strengths and weaknesses but can be inconsistent .

Heading into this last portion of the season, phase 4 I like to call it . Phase 1 is camp and scrimmages and off -season strength and conditioning can be included, Phase 2 is the first 3-4 weeks of real games where you try to form an identity , find out who your leaders are, what you do well and try to take advantage of that and address your weaknesses and try to improve them . Phase 3 is the next 3 to 4 weeks where you push for improvement and play-off positioning and solidify who you are and what you are continuing to work on conditioning and strength in an in season vane and try to get towards a peak not only from a performance standpoint but emotionally .

Phase 4 is the last couple weeks getting your mind set and attitude ready for the play-offs if applicable . Weeks 8-10 heading into the play-offs is crucial for Seniors who see their HS football career mortality staring them right in the face , what they want for their legacy and how they want to go out. Urgency is heightened , emotions can run high as Senior nights come at them and the knowledge that their careers end could and or probably be weeks away from ending. Phase 4 often includes players and coaches as well taking stock looking in the mirror and taking some action .
This is it for many . Play-off Teams history's aren't written after 9 or ten weeks, they are written after the uniforms are turned in where you9 can assess the regular season and how the play-off season went.

Jerome -14 Berlin - LP Line Jerome - 14

Country Clubbers came roaring back after their 28-7 loss and utter debacle vs 3-5 Delaware . The Ruthy Hayes's came out after that epic win vs. Dub Muirfield and got beat by Ye Olde Tommy W. Wat to keep the momentum guys lol. Anyway Jerome crushed Bradley by having the ball for 32 minutes and running the ball very well especially QB Miller who went for 120 . Oh and Bradley with their play-off life on life support pulled that plug themselves by committing 7 turnovers . YES SEVEN!!!. 4 fumbles LOST THEM ALL , and threw three interceptions . YIKES . Bradley looking towards next year . So the margin was a bit misleading in terms of Jerome not really dominating in a yardage perspective as they had about 85 more , but they played cleaner and kept the ball for long stretches and ran it with authority.

Berlin Johnny Spinner carried the rock almost 40 times . Scioto isn't as stout up front as the Country Clubbers are . Scioto is a dynamic playmaking skill position team . Berlin pushed them around to the tune of 467 yards offense with great balance between the run and the pass coming back at the end throwing it at will and scoring. Will Spinner be fresh? Probably not and he will get hit harder this week for sure so there is a wear down potential this week ? Play-off picture wise the Country Clubbers are in the play-offs even if they lose their last two and they aren't losing to Kilbourne certainly in week 10. Berlin needs 6-4 and they have Ye Olde Tommy W in week 10 . Bears will be a 95 percent chance at 6-4 but suffice to say they are a total lock if they beat Jerome this week.

I don't see them winning , but they save one game {bad loss to Toledo St . John's} stay really close to good teams and have beaten some of course as well. Should be a very interesting game between two teams that are balanced offensively .

Dublin Muirfield Country Clubbers 31 Berlin Bears 22

Week 9 Cont.

I think Jerome in terms of line value Delaware pulled of the largest upset of the season as a 33 point dog on the Pasteur line won by 21 points!!! WOW . Country Clubbers bounced back well and area solid team overall. Coffman lost last week as the This weeks News guys picked them unanimously something I don't recall seeing before but seeing the usual bashers come out after the loss you would think I was the only one to predict a Coffman victory lol. Jerome was such a big favorite it wasn't even on the list of games to predict. Just came to mind , Johnny Spinner would be a better name for a Quarterback wouldn't it? Boy he can really spin the ball that Spinner . Spin it like Spinner?

Scioto vs YO Tommy W - LP Line DS - 7

Scioto got blitzed last week defensively as they couldn't stop Berlin most of the night from moving the ball over land or air and probably water as well. They get a different team this week who is off of a win last week vs Delaware who as I mentioned really took that momentum and ran with it . Delaware after beating Jerome by 21 can't beat a team that has lost their three previous games by an aggregate 109- 17 . YOTW can make some plays offensively if healthy and executing, but that isn't a constant with this program. This line is off , one of a couple I don'[t think makes sense. Now Scioto can give up points as we have seen as well BUT with a playoff berth on the line and enough playmakers to get tings done I can'[t see YOTW staying with them for 4 quarters. Scioto will pull away at some point here and they won't lose the line of scrimmage this week .

Dublin East Scioto River Rats 34 YOTW 16

Week 9 Cont.

Davidson vs. Marysville - LP Line HD - 12

Have seen these two up close and I can't see a big gap or really much of a gap at all . Marysville is a bit bigger up front , but they aren't as clean in their execution may be with their run based offense. I realize that Davidson hasn't looked as good as they did vs Coffman in some previous games such as the UA game the week before. I think that had as much to do with the coach who is more than familiar with Davidsons methods .

Marysville looked good vs Coffman and I was impressed with their effort, scheme and ability. Took almost the full three quarters to gain some real control in a 28-9 Rocks win. I think this one is closer than that . In fact the top 4 OCC Central teams are all run based . They do it in different ways some more slight and some a bit more than that . Marysville for a short time including a play-off year went to a more spread offense as many team did and some still at that time . They kind of went away from it slowly and now are a more run based team that probably suits them better most years . White is on record as saying he doesn't think M-Ville is a 'Spread community " and he is probably right . Teams that think they have inferior material most years often go to the heavy run option or Wing T offense or actually go full spread and throw it around trying to get the ball out quick to keep their O-lineman from having to protect for too long and teams being forced to stay mentally in the game with some many different guys to cover and tackle over and over again. The run game is about deception cut bocks angle blocking schemes double teams and ball possession .

Davidson would run what they do no matter what personnel they may have any certain year as long as White is coach , so it isn't that he has to do this every year but it has worked great and they stick with it . They ran for 4.2 a rush vs Coffman and held the ball for long stretches , shortened the game committed zero turnovers and gave themselves a shot to win it in the 4th only down five entering the quarter. They nailed it in other words.

Coffman had the ball ONE TIME in the 4th quarter . They moved it 50 yards late in the game before turning it over to effectively end the proceedings. Can they hold the ball this long again? May be or may be not. Wil they complete a huge 52 pass and run to set up a score? Will they play disciplined defense ? Davidson never really did stop the run but what they did do was not let Coffman have the ball later in the game more than that one time and while they certainly didn't stop them on that one drive they made the big play when they needed to . This is a staple of HD football and Marysville while having the talent and material to win here is off of a tough loss to UA in a 10-6 game { Davidson UA was 10-7 } against a pound the rock team . Can they do it again ? Can they score two touchdowns and may be kick a FG? If so they can win . I see it closer to the UA- HD and M-Ville scores.

Bottom line is HD has way too much incentive here . Win and they guarantee themselves a share of the league title n mater what happens in the UA Coffman game in week 10 and they punch their ticket to the play-offs . M-ville can get in with a loss to HD and a win vs CC but it's not a lock { 75 percent } If they win here they are in guaranteed .

Davidson is Davidson but I really like the M-Ville team and the direction of the program which is certainly ascending . BUT ::::::

Davidson 16 Marysville 10

Week 9 Cont.

Liberty at Orange - LP Line OL - 16

The more accurate line here would be about 8 points so obviously this is a best bet . Some lines are really tight and this one isn't . Cal Preps has it at about 8 ? I looked at it a few days ago . Liberty's health has been a major topic all year . RB Kenley played last week gaining 48 yards on 12 carries. O-line problems have been prevalent but the QB is doing well getting the ball out and they do what they have to do. Got outplayed in the second half vs Olentangy getting outgained 343 - 270 giving up large passing yards{ Tangy has no discernable running attack} . Of course Tangy Lib got it done when it needed to and pulling these games out has become a skill for this team. You win a couple of them in the 4th quarter and it becomes routine and you are confident that things will just work out. That's Liberty. It isn't a case of them just overwhelming people with talent or strength .

Orange is a solid team , better than I thought they would be but they aren't world beaters either . They gave up about 400 yards to Westy Central WITHOUT Ricky Hyatt . Central couldn't finish drives without Ricky and the Olentangy district domination over the Westy Schools continued in this one and has unabated in this last year of the current arrangement.

Orange with a couple days extra rest and or preparation , take your pick , at this time of the year it is welcome as most teams have some aches and pains at the very least. I am impressed with Orange's organization, their alignment and attention to detail{ assignment football} is excellent. They have some good LB'S and some tough kids running the football. Their QB throws well to decent receivers who have a knack for getting open. They were the more polished team when playing Westy C who was more talented even without Hyatt. QB has an excellent 13 TD to 3 picks ratio and their running back swill run hard and test this defense. This is for the league title really and it's a rivalry of sorts. Orange won 17-3 last year as Liberty lost 4 regular season games . Orange may be really confident here . Liberty is living well no question but at some point that ends and you can't pull things out in the end .

I am calling for the upset here which isn't a huge one even with the 16 point tariff . I'll have the last few games this afternoon

Orange 24 Liberty 23

Last three games Pick Central - 14 R-Burg
Pick North - 20 Lancaster
Westy Central - 11 Westy S IB's

R'Burg can get Central again if disciplined on D. Stop the run and they win. North will show a backbone v the Gales

Week 9 Cont.

Pick Central vs. R-burg - LP Line PC - 14

Burg upset PC last year as PC unexpectedly lost two ball games in league play { Lancaster the other one} so overconfidence will be a non issue. PC has been not as dominating as some thought and figured earlier on . They have been a bit choppy offensively which is a bit surprising given their experience and talent at QB and the skill kids they have. They didn't win the league title last year which is a rarity to say the least so that extra type of motivation is there no doubt. Burg has a 87 percent chance of play-off entry with a 7-3 record{ Lancaster next week is very winnable at home} but like other teams they are in regardless with a win tonight . Easier said than done. PC didn't dominate PN last week as it was a dogfight. The week before with revenge motive as well crushed the overmatched Gaels of Lenkuhster.

PC ran the ball with some authority vs. PN with QB Crenshaw accounting for 120 yards . PC it seems will play either Pick North or this Burg squad in week 11 going by the math. Burg like Westy C and Coffman is a talented team that has stumbled a couple times in games it could have very well won or was winning later in the game. They have talent and they have some size that can bother PC a bit . This is a great line by the way. Strickland should be back playing at WR for R-Burg so that's a big plus . Have gone back and forth here , like PC's motivation but see the fundamental match-up being something Burg can deal with . When in total doubt in a game I wouldn't bet with a miserable miser's money , grab some points

PC 24 Burg 13

Week 9 Cont.

Pick North at Lancaster - LP Line PN - 20

How much did the PC game take out of PN? They lost to this club last year and the Gaels have gotten the better of them in recent years . Gaels are also not going anywhere fast and gave up over 400 yards to Gahanna losing a close one. PN needs a win here . Gahanna next week will be a tougher match-up for them . They should win but Gahanna can be dangerous with their skill guys . 20 is a tough number and another game I wouldn't really touch to be honest. PN had been doing well with the turnover margin but a huge factor was the - 2 in that department as PN lost the ball deep in PC territory and threw a pick that was retuned putting them behind the 8-Ball.

Lancaster fnally got the run game going but Gahanna's weakness is stopping the run . This one is TRICKY. I think this series has tilted towards Lancaster by formula of shortening the game , bleeding clock and Lancaster running the football . I think they can run it a bit here but not gash PN . Coming off the PC war i think has PN a bit light in the gas tank , enough to get home but not enough to cruise around a little before heading there.

PN 30 Lancaster G Gaels 13

Last edited:
Week 9 Final

Westerville Central vs. Westy S Ibbies - LP Line WC - 11

Very interesting game to be sure. The Ibbies need to win ONE more game to gain entrance to the post season. Westy C needs one win to have a 89 percent chance of gaining entry and get a likely 7 seed and of course 100 at 8-2 with a 4 seed likely. Ibbies have Orange next week so this isn't an easy sled . It's a bit uphill to be sure . WS has enough playmaking ability to dent the Warhawks defense but to me WC is a bit too big and strong upfront for the Ibbies which is the main difference for me tonight. I also expect Hyatt back which will be another difference from last week in the Warhawks lack of being able to finish drives which cost them the ballgame. In the Warhawks two losses they gained a total of 700 yards but scored only 13 points . Pretty tough to do or not do . Against this class of team{ Burg , Liberty} the Ibbies have lost by an average of 19 points . WC should flex their muscles which are a bit more rested after playing last Thursday . Warhawks back in the saddle again.

WC 38 WS 22

Coffman - 36 Vs. Westland - not going to predict this game , Rocks have Senior night tonight and I have a previous engagement and am not going to the contest. I hope the Seniors have a great Senior night and the kids who haven't seen as much time get some tonight as i think they will . It's for the Seniors tonight and next week . Play for the Seniors underclassmen help give them a good send off . Seniors thank the parents and family for all their support over the years . It is very appreciated . Wish good luck and health to all tonight . Go Rocks .

Think the Berlin magic story comes to an end next week, it was a fun run, but this team just can't shake it's method of operation where they play such incredibly bad football during the first half to first 3 quarters, and then all of a sudden decide they want to play. Exact same thing tonight, where they went down 18-0 and 25-7 and were able to storm back and make it 25-20.

The had Jerome stopped facing 4th and 4 short of midfield and had just called a timeout with 1:45 left. They sent punt return team out after the timeout and Jerome sent out jumbo package to attempt to pick up the 4yds. Berlin panicked and was out of timeouts, so they ran some linemen on, who jumped offside trying to get organized and expecting Jerome to snap at any second. Fantastic coaching job by Jerome, tip my hat to them.

Once again, Berlin's hole was dug too deep to get out of against a team this good, Jerome was balanced all night. Completed several ridiculous 3rd downs and even a 4th down play, and really only won this game on a blocked punt they got a TD off of. Berlin absolutely dominated the 4Q and had they played the rest of the game even remotely like they did in 4Q they win this game.

Unfortunately, I'm hearing leading receiver is out with a broken collar bone, and with TW suddenly playing well, my fingers are actually crossed for a loss to TW next week to avoid having to to play TCC as the 8 seed. This may sound odd, but there's simply absolutely nothing good that can come of that experience, not for players or parents, having to go 2.5 hours on the road to get your kicked.

good to see the Rocks get healthy, should have the guns to beat an improving UA team next week, but a good test against a good defense before heading into the playoffs. I'm sure you are hoping for things to shakeout so you get Jerome in the 2nd round. The Jerome team played well, made no mistakes at all, save for a couple holding penalties, and is very well coached, but I would certainly expect a repeat of the 31-14 score if they played again because their defense has holes if you just avoid shooting yourself in the foot.

That was a helluva gamble going for it there at midfield up 5 . And they didn't even have to get it . I think in that situation you need to be conservative and be ready for them going for it even if it hurts a possible return, you just need to gat the ball back but it doens't surprise me at all knowing how Geciwich coaches. Jerome also completed some ridiculous third and fourth down plays against Coffman in the first half as it was tied going to the break after Coffman got the 14-0 jump . Second half was all Coffman as they ran it at will and shut down those passes in the second half . I grabbed the points with Berlin because I know they never quit and that the game was very likely to be close in the 4th. But I must say they really do stay on script don't they? Of course when playing a quality well coached team you won't be running on all cylinders for the full 48 .

Winton Woods was very close to missing the play-offs but had a huge win vs LaSalle last night . That may have bene the best team to not make the play-offs in recent memory . But props to them . Called for Orange to get the win but I thought there would be more scoring . Orange has surprised me , I thou9ght they were a bit fraudulent after getting waxed by Pick North giving up 40 + points . They have tightened it up .

Westy Central has proven to be only a bit better than last year . Those first three walkovers did them no favors as I have said a few times now. Their evisceration of Pick North fooled most including me . Something off with that team as I opined I hated their body language seeing them play Orange on that Thursday TV game. Props to the Ibbies for pulling off the huge win. I'll be pulling for them in the play-offs . Westy C has killed me , fool me once shame on me, foo me twice shame on them, fool me three times? I am totally ashamed lol.

Lancaster laid down like a dog at home? I remember the 97 Sports fan reading me a riot act pre-season how Lancaster always beats down PN and that they suk and that they are soft blah blah . I did comeback with saying that they probably get them by 20 + this year , of course i took the 20 points with the Gaels who fumbled and stumbled their way to start the game down big and then laid down to rest and whimper the rest of the way .

Burg hung in for a while but PC always seems to get the fumble recovery scoop and score and can be a pile it on team once in a while. Burg is a one and done I believe.

Marysville gets up 14-0 then doesn't do anything in the second half . Props to Davidson I guess , M-Ville guy who keeps me posted on some things said Officials were terrible , yes I realize homers say that at times , but he was adamant that they were horrible and affected the game and he was a guy who isn't one to mention the officials much in fact he admitted in last years Coffman game that went OT with the Rocks wining that M-Ville actually got some breaks from the officials. He said they were calling everything on M-Ville and Davidson had nothing called including their usual chop block or two that he says he saw on a few occasions . That's' him not me I wasn't there obviously . Seems like Davidson kicked their butts in the second half though after making adjustments . M-Ville moved it pretty well at times vs Coffman in the first half as it was 14-9 Coffman . Rocks shut them out in the second half as well after making a few adjustments as well .

Liberty run of making the key plays in the 4th quarter came to an end . I think they may have trouble making another run in the play-offs this season despite their much superior record this year. I still contend they had a better team last year. Yes the injuries have hurt but they had more experience last year and lost some close ones but they had that confidence and a large Senior group that was very successful in the play-offs . they have some kids who played and started last year but not as ton of difference makers . It is PC's region to lose and I wouldn't count out PN in a rematch keeping it scarily close vs. the Tigers if they meet .

Coffman will be in a similar game next week as the Davidson game , They say that teams like Davidson and this new UA team with the Davidson coach just line up and punch you in the mouth . Well I disagree with that. they dive at or punch you in the knees hide the ball and play keep away which isn't exactly standing in front of you and playing smash mouth featuring drive blocks that eviscerate folks. UA goes about it a bit differently but it's a similar formula obviously . Rocks need to have the ball for more than 39 plays , they gained 7 yards a play and still lost because of that . Rushed for 7.8 an attempt and their lead RB Threats averaged 10 a carry . This won't happen vs. UA but lets hope they use their QB as a runner which they had all season except inexplicably vs Davidson and get Williamson some targets as they always do except for the Davidson game. One thing to do what you usually do and get stopped and rethink and change your modus operandi but to just ignore staples of your offense altogether? Make them defend the whole field and keep them honest with some play action which they also ignored vs HD and they will be fine and score more than 14 and win the ballgame .

This will be the third game for the Rocks where their opponent has a much larger sense of urgency and desperation . PN was pretty much done in they lost to Coffman and was down 21-6 mid third and came roaring back , HD was playing with far ore urgency and played a good clean game and executed very well and got the much needed victory . UA wants the league title to themselves and a iron clad punched play-off ticket .

Can the Rocks try to match them emotionally or will they lose another close one and be a third place team in their own league limping into the play-offs as an average 7-3 team? Could happen , they haven't found a way to win games later in the proceedings . Rocks were 7-3 in 2013 with only one starter back on offense and a few on defense much like Davidson this year , is this team like that one that had a Senior class that lost a lot of football games in MS and early in their HS career. This edition had all the talent and experience , but some kids haven't played at all and one excellent defensive player moved to Florida . Others have had missed time as the team has never really got rolling . I don't seen one unit playing with complete fire and enthusiasm . Is it too late ? We'll find out

Last edited:
Marysville let up after going up 14-0. Scored 2nd TD with about 1:30 left til half then let Davidson pick up huge chunk plays running the ball to get into fg range right before halftime. That was turning point IMO. Davidson scores fg right before halftime and then scores TD first drive of 2nd half.

Officials not to blame. Marysville did nothing to help their cause. After going up 14-0 they felt like they won the game.

In reality, I thought it was over too. To Davidson’s credit, they fought back after being down 2 scores.

Last time Davidson came back from down 14-0? Not sure. But last I remember is 2006 state title game against Mentor.

Marysville had a chance to step on Davidson’s throats and didn’t. That’s on them. Not the refs. Talk about a losers mentality.

Marysville let up after going up 14-0. Scored 2nd TD with about 1:30 left til half then let Davidson pick up huge chunk plays running the ball to get into fg range right before halftime. That was turning point IMO. Davidson scores fg right before halftime and then scores TD first drive of 2nd half.

Officials not to blame. Marysville did nothing to help their cause. After going up 14-0 they felt like they won the game.

In reality, I thought it was over too. To Davidson’s credit, they fought back after being down 2 scores.

Last time Davidson came back from down 14-0? Not sure. But last I remember is 2006 state title game against Mentor.

Marysville had a chance to step on Davidson’s throats and didn’t. That’s on them. Not the refs. Talk about a losers mentality.

Sometimes that mentality comes creeping in out of frustration . But again they failed to score at all in the second half and completely lost momentum which is their fault . No digital scout numbers involving M-Ville games , but what was the penalty yardage? Did Davidson in fact get flagged as well? I just saw the score periodically didn't follow the game but he wasn't happy about it . May be just frustration clouding his view, good fan and pretty straight shooter but I think the frustration of outplaying UA last week and losing with a late probably game wining TD called back coupled with being up 14-0 last night and not doing anything after that has him frustrated which is understandable for a passionate fan

Texas A'M hung on for us winning by 19 , bringing the week to 2-0 but Pitt lost at home to Sad sack Miami laying 4 and change. 2-1 and hoping Stanford - 2.5-3 and Nebraska - 2.5 can hold their leads . Arizona State - 3 , Michigan + 1 and Boston College + 35 finish the night with later games . Penn State crushing Michigan State suks because I was looking hard at that but didn't pull the trigger. But I liked Tennessee a bit getting some points { 4.5 } vs SC and they are down 10 but its early so may be that balances out . Michigan is at a crossroads, lose this one? All kinds of trouble up there . Should be a good one .

ST X eliminates Iggy from play-off contention and that's a year they beat Hoban . Tough schedule but losing to Football North was probably the real death knell.

Michigan was great , BC A-State not so much , 5-4 for the week, 39-29 for the year . NFL 3 games stand out . {25-17 year}

Philadelphia + 1.5
Indianapolis - 5.5
Carolina + 5.5 { got 6 early.

Coffman better treat this week's UA game like a play-off game because it is . Not for entry for the Rocks but the way the math works right now, it the top few teams take care of business Rocks would be third and Springfield would be first. Rocks would probably draw Perrysburg a team they beat in 2017 and 2018 and know something about and then either Whitmer or Northmont? Two team they beat last year in round two and this year in week one respectively . NO sure things of course but that is better than getting S-Field earlier . Win this week gain some momentum and knock your secondary rival out of the play-offs better your position and head toe the play-offs playing well . It is real play-off game for UA , win in their in and lose and their out . Go to work .

Sometimes that mentality comes creeping in out of frustration . But again they failed to score at all in the second half and completely lost momentum which is their fault . No digital scout numbers involving M-Ville games , but what was the penalty yardage? Did Davidson in fact get flagged as well? I just saw the score periodically didn't follow the game but he wasn't happy about it . May be just frustration clouding his view, good fan and pretty straight shooter but I think the frustration of outplaying UA last week and losing with a late probably game wining TD called back coupled with being up 14-0 last night and not doing anything after that has him frustrated which is understandable for a passionate fan

Frustration is the right word. As a M-ville fan did not think the refs were as big a issue at Davidson as some other parents liked to think and definitely not as big a factor as they were at UA. In the end you need to perform and not put it into the hands of the ref. The Davidson game was not the refs fault for 23 unanswered points.

I think fans were frustrated with the caught on-side kick that appeared to go our way and did not based on the rules (see my ask the ref question) but that was when it was 7-0. The lack of an adequate PA system on the visitors side to even hear what the ref signals adds to the fans frustration. There was one on 4th down near the end when it was 14-20 I think that was questionable but again make the first down and do not give up 20 unanswered.

Hopefully the boys do what they need to do to send the Seniors out with a regular season win at home and we should make the playoffs barring some crazy upsets by Findlay over TCC or Centerville over Springboro.

Maybe get to show off our new stadium in week 12 and/or 13 with Jerome or Coffman playing Springfield or each other.

Good luck to Marysville this week and in getting a play-off berth . I think you will be a play-off participant more frequently going forward. At this point in the season it's the last game for many kids who will not put the pads on again. There are week10 play-off games and there are sceanriors that seem to point to rematches in the play-offs in week 11. Especially in R-3 . In a possible scenario round one rematches include 1 liberty VS. 8b Westy Central, 2 Pick C vs. Burg , 3 Orange vs 6 Pick North , and the one no rematch Davidson vs Groveport .

I saw the Davidson posters and fans at the game crow about how mighty R-3 is compared to R-2 and how R-2 is by FAR THE WEAKEST . Well I will say R-2 is not as deep , BUT the notion that THIS YEAR that region is heads and shoulders better is not accurate or true. You can rate R-2 number 4 in the power ranking, without a huge pushback. But Liberty is the number one seed . They will finish 9-1 , but if you just look a tiny bit deeper? They have won R-2 three times but that region has changed a bit over that time and previous years.

They have squeaked by a small handful of times being outplayed and or outgained in close wins . Injuries? OK but they lost 34 Seniors and were better last year at this point in the season despite finishing 6-4 . Their opponents were better during the regular season last year and they lost their QB for a time as well and lost some close ones. PC is the favorite but hasn't been outrageously good as many thought they may be . Losing to Groveport wasn't an embarrassment but a chink in the armor . They didn't dominate North . Speaking of North is good now , but has been uneven . Lost to Northmont a possible lower seed R-2 qualifier by a margin .

Orange is solid but not chalk full of game breakers and lost by a few handfuls to North in Sawyers first game at QB. Burg? Almost lost and probably should have lost to Central Crossing and got beat by Gahanna . Got crushed by Pick C this past week.

GP ? First year they beat a team with a wining record in over a decade? Big , athletic and conservative and are a solid well coached team props to them . Davidson is a decent team who has some limitations and isn't a real threat whether they were in region 2 or 3 .

R-2 includes newcomer Wayne who isn't Wayne this year but they are here. Springfield is legit , really nice talent and would be a problem for many team in R-3 . Northmont has a nice program lately and has made the R-3 play-offs the last couple years. Marysville may be the 8 seed and probably should have beaten possible R-3 qualifier UA and played fairly even with Davidson losing by 9 after being ahead by 11 at the half . Whitmer has a D-1 QB who may be the best in either region 2 or 3 { Crenshaw doesn't throw it like he does} . They have good athletes and very good RB transfer from Michigan who I hear is legit. Coffman has played very well at times and can play with pretty much anyone in R-3. Jerome if you look at the total body of work and cross region scores is solid. Perrysburg ahs a 4 year starter at QB and has a very solid program that was down a bit for two years but is decent. Depth wise ? R-3 , no doubt. R-2 being number 4 of 4 in D-1 ? Absolutely . But this weakest BY FAR description based on comparative scores and overall quality of play? NO .

Some big games to punch play-off tickets for programs who don't often get in or have never been included in week 11 play. Toddler Berlin of the terrible two's and Centennial come to mind , Marysville with a 6 year drought. Groveport is already in but it's been a while.

Lines are out and are fairly sharp. Other very quick thoughts from the weekend. 49Ners are kickers who run the ball more than anyone has in 30 years in the NFL . Incredible design and scheme had guys slicing through the line untouched for long TD runs something you don't see at the NFL level . That line went down to 4 as money poured in { Including mine } on Carolina who was a hot team playing great football . SF used them as a mere speed bump . Betting UNDER in Bears games is very profitable , thanks Bears . Browns are an undisciplined mess but they got jobbed on a few calls vs. the Patriots. Eagles are a mercurial team that can't be trusted but you can pick your spots as we did on Sunday.

Nebraska coach Scott Frost could have had the Florida job ? OUCH , he simply can't get the players to Nebraska and they aren't better than Indiana as I though they would be on Saturday . Michigan needed that win like Blood and they richly deserved that AXZZ kicking . Clemson is trying to pour it on to make up for poor performances and defensive TD'S and special teams big plays are large spread killers .

Saints are really good , may be Super Bowl good after getting ripped off last year.

Last edited:
Week 10

To finish the R-2 is by far the weakest of the regions , if you look at all the programs top to bottom , going back just the last few years Wayne , Springfield Bradley , Coffman , Whitmer , Northmont , to name a few off the top of the head have bene consistent performers , some in R-3 at different times . Groveport is now a R-3 power? They hadn't beaten a team with a winning record in over a decade until this year. Anyway R-3 is deeper , R-2 is 4th in the power rankings of the 4 regions BUT is it " BY FAR" the 'Easiest " ? NO .

Hartley Vs. DeSales - LP Line BH - 5 { Tonight}

Been some really nice games over the past few years between these clubs. Hartley may have the most fertile 'Recruiting " area of any of the Catholics { Easy now, not saying Saint Brad is making home visits } . Prime football talent real estate . They have steadily gotten better and more talented athletes over the last decade and certainly have upgraded the talent from say 10-15 years ago . DeSales is a power sports school in both girls and Boys sports and they have a nice drawing area as well. Hartley is a really experienced and strong team . Mature physically and has talent in most areas. This team isn't the earnest little engine that could type story. Real speed , real talent and multiple playmakers as they put together good class after good class . Numbers of students in school isn't a good barometer to use when assessing what a Catholic program might have or their strength . Both teams have quality athletes in key spots , some speed and they are well coached. Kids work hard at it . You need some talent but you need to work and focus and these programs do just that .

Line is light . Hartley is superior this year . I thought they would win the region last year but not a state title . This year ? If they don't win the region I will take 10 whacks with a light bamboo cane. Ok may be not that , but i will say ten Hail Mary's and hope someone doesn't put a few in the back of my head while i do some fishing on Lake Tahoe . DeSales is in the play-off regardless in R-8 { Hartley is in R-11} but seeding is at stake. Kids don't really thin this way , Coaches do but that type of incentive is weak. League title is real incentive and a rivalry game is real incentive . Hartley is crushing opponents most weeks, DeSales is beating them but not really crushing them. Signature win vs Alter was thrilling . Stallions suffered a big loss with LB-RB Ball being out for the season after getting hurt vs St Chazz O the thuurd. January , Fleming , Evans and Parker will be the difference here. Many playmakers , too any for DeSales to handle? Hartley is loaded, SFD is very good, a difference in terms of potential. Quinn is a class back who will have to be game planned for but the Hawks really know the Stallions tendency's and the Hawks are harder to predict on offense no matter how many times you play them.

One of the best few bets , game on TV ? Good watch . BH 30 SFD 16

Last edited:
Week 10 Cont.

Pick North vs. Gahanna - LP Line PN - 17

Gahanna and PN have really tough schedules . PN is in if they win and at about 80 percent if they don't . They aren't losing this one . That isn't the question here. The question is the 17 points . The Lions have improved and really battled since the tragic accident that claimed one it's players and involved a couple . Came back to beat R-Burg , took care of business vs GC and Lancaster was a close win . Scored some TD'S on the Pick C ones as well losing 40 something to 20 something.

Gahanna has some athletes , they will makes a few plays , but the question is can they stop PN? Sawyer barely payed defense last week , A few others sat out on defense but will be back this week. Whitaker is a tough productive back and Thomas while not real accurate all the time competes his azzz off and can run the ball some. . Wacky things can happen in week 10 . Two that come to mind are Coffman undefeated in 2012 losing to an average UA team who wasn't a play-off team 23-14 after committing 6 turnovers and giving up possession an inadvertent onside kick . Rainy strange night . Rocks suffered one of their worst play-off losses ever the next week losing to Davidson with a minus 4 turnover margin after hey beat them by 23 in the regular season . PN with a really good team that went to the final four I believe lost to Grove City in week 10?

That won't happen here , but PN needs to be ready to go . Really tough one to play against the line but i'll grab the 17 and hope for at the very least a backdoor cover .

PN 31 Gahanna 16