Dublin Coffman 2019

But I actually came on here to give you a hard time Harry...Usually your pick are pretty accurate but you had a rough time this week.

Absolutely a tough week in terms of the eight games I put down in these spaces . 500 after two weeks is the worst start I have had for sure the last few going against the line . I had another small handful that I jotted down and did better in those but they weren't interesting games so I didn't t write about them . I left off Watterson who I liked over Marion Local but inadvertently omitted that one as well as New Albany Scioto where I liked NA by a small amount laying 2 . 4-6 looks better than 2-6 lol but 9-9 is what is in these spaces for the season and is Below MEH.

Some weird occurrences to be sure with the information I had , but it's 16-18 year old kids , week to week ? At half time of the games I was looking great, 4th quarters hurt teams , but that's why you need some depth and need good coaches making adjustments . Watching classmates and getting in late in blowouts if you are a good player must be tough but that will be the reality for many a good PC kid coming up with so much talent . No other school has this problem in CO public sphere . If you are good at other schools ? You will start at some point guaranteed , Not at PC . PN a larger school than PC went without a Frosh team one year? Do they have one this year ? At PC they have a two deep that is scary I heard . Role player or scrub player it is for many PC kids I suppose . Not sure you see this dynamic anywhere else anywhere in a two HS district . Numbers should be closer than this.

Some weeks you lose turnover battles badly lose the weird bad snaps badly and just some head scratching results . For instance I have seen PN and Northmont up close , Northmont wasn't better , but they were obviously last night , Coffman really bottled them up without their two best defensive backs last week . Hammond Russell an emerging beast at DE for Coffman was un-blockable for Northmont to deal with. I figured Sawyer would be too. Coffman picked them off twice . I figured North would get some turnovers . 5 Interceptions ? Yikes.

Coffman kind of ran by the Lions of Gahanna but the game was far from perfect. Some excellent individual efforts and some improvement I some areas from week one but some other issues that were evident.

Rocks run onto the field and I see Drennan Kirk and Cam Kirk all dressed in game shirts and their choice of pants, sweat variety . Rocks once again without their top two guys and their best corner who like Drennan has done virtually nothing from day one with the team in terms of contact and scrimmaging and or now playing in games . This is nothing new to the Rocks program the last few years rarely have they had all their top players on the field together for any length of time .

A this point I just assume to see one of the top guys in half street clothes with a game jersey on sometimes multiple. Not sure what is wrong with Kirk Jr. who was just offered in the Summer by Ohio State and who looked real good in scrimmage action that I saw . Drennan ? He seems like he is close , but who knows . He has 40 offers from ALL top schools so why risk it ? I don't know the extent of his foot injury which happened in the summer at a camp ? Does he come back this week ? I assume he isn't going to play until I see him putting his hands on the ball in a real game with his uniform on to tell you the truth. Seems like another case of two years ago with a long recovery from a foot issue. Do they need him ? yes and No to be 100 percent honest . Play-offs ? YES . Can they beat everyone on their regular season schedule if he doesn't play at all ? YES in my opinion they can . So for now ? I assume he is a no go this week as well. In other words i have seen no difference in his gait or the way he is moving around on the sidelines in every scrimmage and the games I have seen so if it's a case of resting and getting to more than 100 percent he might want to keep resting for a while more . Again who knows.

Corner Cam Kirk sports hernia getting attention from Air Force and Yale is out as well and i have no idea when he comes back . I also assume Kirk Jr. sits again . A few guys Jerome doesn't have to worry about I suppose. Handicaps the contest a bit . May be at some point we will see al the top guys on the field at the same time? Hopefully but unlikley .

Last edited:
Ok kind of sidetracked by accounting and team official injury business . About the game.

Rocks get a three and out but make one of their many mistakes in the punt game . They jump offsides , First Down Lions a nice opening gift from the Rocks . Lions get one first down but Rocks hold and force a punt, Punt fumbled Great field position Lions and the THIRD chance at their first possession . Rocks with another gift for their guests. TD Lions . Long kick return by Rocks sets up a TD. Of course not without drama as the Rocks seem to be sleepwalking early. 1st and goal from the 2 they go backwards , fumbled snap, fumbled rushing attempt . Score on 4th down.

Rocks sloppy , bad timing on screens , dropped passes . Rocks kick a FG to make it 10-7 with 7 minutes left in the half. Hold the Lions pretty deep in territory and promptly giving up a long fake punt run reminding me of the Davidson fake punt a few years before deep in their territory in a 7-6 game mid 4th quarter . Kid ran for 15 yards before anyone even turned around. I am sure Jerome coach Geciwich is pissed because he probably had that in mind himself as the Rocks never are ready for that when someone is deep in their territory. If you have some stones it would be effective most times vs them . Another nice gift and of course smartly on this turn of momentum they go deep first play , open receiver down the sideline 42 yards GL ahead 14-10 . Punting game gaffes lead to both Gahanna scores.

Diallo on first down runs a sweep virtually untouched and well blocked as Rocks got an extra blocker and everyone got a hat on a hat , 69 yard run . 17-14 Rocks. Gahanna fumbles at their own 23 as Rocks gang tackle Thomas successfully. Threats has the first of Two TD'S called back by penalty with a 23 yard run nullified . A few plays later he scores on a 29 yard pass play, 24-14 Rocks .

Lincoln has a decent drive going but Rocks stiffin and get them in a 3rd and long . They harass Thomas who somehow gets away but has no one open , the Rocks catch up to him as he throws it away but they get a piece of his helmet , so instead of 4th and mile they get a first down at the 15 . Rocks with yet another gift for their guest . Whitaker who was a beast under trying circumstances all night scores on a nifty 15 yard run . Missed XP , 24-20 Rocks .

Rocks get the ball back with a minute 4 seconds and go to work . Mathews sowing his running ability and movement in the pocket as they get closer to the end zone. Now they had two timeouts when they started the drive. First play they got a 9 yard gain and then ran for 2 yards and a first down but never stopped the clock . A pass completion right after that it closer, But eventually WITHOUT USING ONE OF THEIR TIMEOUTS , the clock showed 8 seconds with the Rocks at the Lions 16 yard line. This meant there was ONE PLAY to throw it into the end zone and they had TWO TO'S in their back pocket . This type of stuff is infuriating and completely unacceptable . Very bad clock management . I mean REALLY BAD .PULL YOUR HAIR OUT BAD. Do better. There is no rationale or excuse for keeping two timeouts in your back-pocket and almost running out of time to even kick a field goal if something bad happens. As it was ? they got lucky , the Gahanna kid turned around got a hand on the pass in the middle of the end zone but it bounced right to Williamson who was right behind him 31-20 at the half the catch was made with 3 seconds left!!!!. Unfortunately we have seen this type of cock management before .

Third quarter was the Jameel Wiliamson show as he added another two TD'S on Receiver sweeps of 41 and 69 yards . Lions starting to wear down . Thomas at QB taking big hits , backup spells him a couple times but Thomas comes back in for a bit and eventually the back-up finishes the game with the first unit of skill kids in their till the bitter end. Threats has a long punt return called back on a 'HOLD" on the other side of the field presumable as there was nothing that actually affected the actual play . I thought it was a mercy flag myself . Lions never stopped fighting to the point that I really thought one of their top guys who were in some cases playing two ways might get hurt . You tend to get hurt when tired. Whitaker never left the field it seemed and he too took some big hits but is a tough competitor . Thomas got absolutely hammered and ahd to come off and didn't return but seemed just shaken up and not injured.

Game slowly ended 45-20 . Defense wasn't as good as last week but was put in some bad spots and made a big mistake by getting hands near QB head allowing another chance for GL on the third TD.

Country Clubbers are coming this week with a lot of confidence and production. Of course they will be playing a team that goes at a different speed than their previous two opponents . Lets hope the sidelined Rocks can come back strong and contribute a good week of practice leads to a big win. Game is very interesting to be sure as Jerome is better than most thought me included . I have some random observations from the game and others played and coming up later.

Marysville who I thought might lose a close one to Delaware last night after winning 3 of the previous four vs. the Monarchs ,but Coach Johnson has them playing very physical up front and they rolled led by Kilgore's 232 yards and 353 total yards. Delaware had more guys back and won a close one last year . Regressed a bit? Apparently. I was told M-Ville didn't look all that hot in scrimmages . Well they often don't tell the real story but Delaware doesn't exactly have it rolling yet.
I have also been thoroughly shocked by the Monarchs. The guy on the radio said it’s the best he’s seen the Monarchs play in years. We could possibly see a 5-0 Marysville take on a 5-0 Coffman.

Yardage even . You won because of short fields in the 4 th quarter you didn’t score in the 3 rd quarter .Again you only come after a win. I didn’t see you at all in 2014 ( two Coffman wins) In 2016 When Coffman held HD to 50 yards in a 24-3 win in the playoffs and 2017. Sorry no cred here only coming in
after unexpected margins . Your hero’s Will need more blocked punts bad snaps unforced errors from your opponents to win a playoff game or even make the playoffs . Liberty PC and Coffman beat you even as you try to bleed the clock to zero every play .

Last edited:
Some weeks you lose turnover battles badly lose the weird bad snaps badly and just some head scratching results . For instance I have seen PN and Northmont up close , Northmont wasn't better , but they were obviously last night , Coffman really bottled them up without their two best defensive backs last week . Hammond Russell an emerging beast at DE for Coffman was un-blockable for Northmont to deal with. I figured Sawyer would be too. Coffman picked them off twice . I figured North would get some turnovers . 5 Interceptions ? Yikes.
He was, I believe Sawyer ended up w/3 sacks and at least 2 TFL I can remember. But losing the turnover margin 5-1 won't cut it. I was really flummoxed by so many people thinking North was going to be so good this year. They were 6-4 with a bunch of close losses last year, but they lost a lot from last year's team. I came into this year thinking 6-4 or 7-3 might be the absolute best they could do this year as and 4-6 or 5-5 was a real possibility. I thought they had absolutely zero chance against Coffman or Central and w/playing 8 playoff teams from last year, it just didn't compute. Jack is an absolute stud and Chris Scott is a top notch receiver, but you don't beat good teams w/2 people if you don't have the supporting cast, especially the O line.

He was, I believe Sawyer ended up w/3 sacks and at least 2 TFL I can remember. But losing the turnover margin 5-1 won't cut it. I was really flummoxed by so many people thinking North was going to be so good this year. They were 6-4 with a bunch of close losses last year, but they lost a lot from last year's team. I came into this year thinking 6-4 or 7-3 might be the absolute best they could do this year as and 4-6 or 5-5 was a real possibility. I thought they had absolutely zero chance against Coffman or Central and w/playing 8 playoff teams from last year, it just didn't compute. Jack is an absolute stud and Chris Scott is a top notch receiver, but you don't beat good teams w/2 people if you don't have the supporting cast, especially the O line.

It is surprising that they have imploded this early. From mid third quarter to last weeks turnover fest they haven't been sharp at all. They have a handful of real players and I figured along with most in the pre-season that they would be good certainly. I also don't think they were as good as Central or Coffman and that Westy Central will have a big revenge motive along with some really good players back . The other games ? Liberty didn't score at all the first two games in this series so while I figured they would this year , I didn't see that second half explosion either.

They will win this week but Westy C will be a real handful for them. I saw them scrimmage Coffman and they are pretty legit . Not a great final four team may be team ,but a nice mixture of top end talent and some blue collar tough kids.

I can't believe we are already at week 3 . Season flies by much quicker than we wait for it to start and that means all levels of football . Thankfully I am off to a better start in CFB and the NFL{ $ 9-5 and 3-2 respectively } than I am here sitting at 9-9 after two weeks after a good first week and a terrible second week. Pick North has bene real disappointing , Marysville is better than I was told it seems, Jerome is really running the ball well and doing good things after a disappointing 5-5 year last year with greater expectations. Davidson scored 24 in one quarter ? Bradley was overhyped as a re-load program and they don't see to be that.

Many other nice examples of overachievement and disappointing opening games to be sure as these first couple of weeks are often hard to figure.

WEEK 3

Davidson at Bradley - CP Line HD - 23

Line is very heavy , Bradley is in trouble here going to 0-3 would make it very hard to make the play-offs. Jags it seems aren't quite the re-load team many including myself thought they could be. This week is an opportunity to turn their season around big time . Bradley missed a chance to win last week by not finishing and they missed a FG late that would have tied the game. New QB Mirgon ran the ball well and had a decent night passing but they only managed 14 points with 341 yards offense.

Davidson was losing by 8 entering the 4th but pitched a perfect game in that period playing flawlessly while they watched their rival make multiple punting game gaffes as the game got away from them in short order. Davidson was outstanding on third down { 11-13 } and was 2-2 on 4th down. Yardage was even in the low 200's for each team, but Davidson was superior on big downs , executed better overall and of course won special teams. Good teams take advantage of their opponents weaknesses and Davidson saw an opening early on and went after the punt when the time was right and got it . Short fields pushed the margin out but Davidson deserved the victory and was the better team on this night .

Bradley needs a fanatical effort to get the win here , they have more back than Davidson does but so far Davidson ahs executed better. I think it will
be close and competitive but going with Davidson to win but Bradley cover the inflated number for the purpose of the prediction. Louie Line may be back in week 4 where i will use that. Nixon going for 150 as a Soph. is a great sign for the future and he is a good talent no question, but can he carry the mail another 28 times and produce these types of numbers again? Can Mirgon run for some yards and complete some third down throws?

Will Davidson be really riding high with so many new guys and be sitting at 3-0 and Bradley at a very disappointing soul crushing 0-3 ?

Davidson 17 Bradley 13

Last edited:
WEEK 3 Cont.

Gahanna at Bishop Hartley - CP Line Hartley - 12

This is one of those games I wouldn't bet if choosing freely but it's too interesting a game to not look at. Geographically it's interesting because Hartley draws talent form the Gahanna area among others. Hartley can talk all they want about being special people { And they do a lot of that } and a special program and there is certainly a modicum of truth to that , BUT make no mistake they are getting more and more talent entering the building every year. Big large Freshman are coming, fast tough Freshman come every year from that part of town. Hartley kills Coffman Frosh every year now{ OK Just the last two } with a couple what looks like a couple 250 pound lineman and fast tough kids and talent in between .

Not a small few Parish little engine that could program to be sure . They can beat many many D-1 teams obviously It is harder to win state titles at the D-3 level for them to be sure , but they are where they should be division wise. . Hartley booster{ s} will come at me thinking this is disrespectful for some reason to say they are getting more talent to the school as if that's a bad thing. IT'S NOT , it enables them to blow out some teams on their schedule that they used to win by closer margins vs and it enables them to beat a team like Gahanna tomorrow night and schedule tougher teams. I believe they have a great chance to win a state title this year which will only help get them even more talent in the next few years. I am on record as saying a find Burchfield who I think has built an outstanding program a bit too sanctimonious for my taste has whined a bit at times and with the talent he gets he probably doesn't have to . Since moving up from d-5 and D-4 they get better players over there PERIOD! That is a good thing .

Speaking of Gahanna , NO ONE , and I mean NO ONE in public school circles plays a tougher schedule than these guys do. Start off with Elder with a huge O-line and a solid experienced team , then go to Coffman who has a lot of skill kids and a fast defense and a regional title contender , Hartley who may win a D-3 title and has a lot of horses , they get a 'breather" with New Albany next week before getting a very solid and talented Westerville Central team, then the best team in CO in Pick Central then a very physical talented R-Burg team? WTF, BRUTAL . Does anyone play a tougher 7 games?

Gahanna is good enough to get some things done on offense here but I have to wonder even after just two weeks if they are a bit beaten up? I am not talking injuries as I don't think they are going to be missing a ton and i saw kids go down last week but come back or were just shaken up , BUT I mean mentally as well as physically. Have given up over 40 in both games against two excellent D-1 teams and now face may be the best D-3 team with weapons that may be rival Coffman's especially without Drennan who warmed up but didn't play and Elder who is offensive line driven.

Fleming , Sawyer and January are a great trip . Fleming is at QB but won't play that at Minnesota next year as he is a D-1 'Athlete " but not a QB .Receiving corps is missing a key guy I think and isn't as polished or dangerous as the backs are.

Hartley is going to be a bit more fresh physically as they haven't played nearly the same level of competition so far as Gahanna has. That means they will see more athletic talent than they have seen so far to be sure so that will be an adjustment but they will be may be a bit more ready physically to go at Gahanna . Fundamentally this is a good match-up for Hartley who is run based with a excellent backfield including the QB who can really run . Gahanna gave up big runs on sweeps last week , one with the RB Diallo on a straight power sweep and two receiver in motion more jet like sweeps that went the distance from distance . Hartley has the personnel and a good enough O-line to gash the Lions at times no question .

The crux of the matter for Hartley is , can they adjust to a better level of competition quickly and early on ,with their defense especially being tested by a very talented Running back in Whitaker who I was very impressed with and who played tough going both ways , taking many blows but dishing them out as well and smooth QB Thomas who throws the ball well and has really improved his passing skills from last year and can run with the ball as well . The weather will be disgustingly humid and warm tomorrow, chance of rain as well. Depth will be an issue for some teams in these conditions . Both teams I believe have the same amount going both ways . One of the keys will be and one that may decide the ballgame is Gahanna 's ability to stop the run as Elder went for over 400 and Coffman had over 300 on the ground.

If I was Gahanna I would sell out to stop the run and force Hartley to beat you in the air , and if I was Hartley's staff I make Gahanna drive the field slowly and make them earn every bit of real estate . Whitaker is dangerous in the flat out of the backfield and Thomas can spin it downfield to a nice group of receivers . Stillwell is a great punter for Gahanna.

Touch call great line by Cal Preps.

Hartley 31 Gahanna 20 - Narrow on the line but I think if Gahanna gets a second wind they can hang here. at least within the 12 point line.

The two games I have written about are more interesting due to the fact that two of the teams are 0-2 and facing a must win game vs great programs. Bradley I failed to mention may get their best football Chris Mayfield back this week? Trying to figure out these games is made tougher because you just can't the injury information you can from say handicapping CFB and the NFL obviously, another key for Bradley may be getting the ball to the younger Mayfield who is a WR . As always Davidson needs to adjust to a spread type offense after facing teams who don't throw it well if much at all . Bradley can turn their whole season around with a victory. Will they play with a certain fanatical desperation? We will see .

Gahanna also at 0-2 with more excellent teams to face is in a must win situation. They somehow get the W this week they get a team they match up well with in New Albany and could be sitting at a respectable 2-2 before they get another toghy with Westerville Central. Needing the win desperately and being able to get it are two different things . I do believe that these two teams will probably play with a certain desperation that may help . Gahanna energy level is a key and Bradley execution and playing clean is a big key seeing as how Darby lost last week.

WEEK 3 Cont.

Gahanna at Bishop Hartley - CP Line Hartley - 12
I'd take Gahanna in that bet. It's going to be closer than 12.

This is one of those games I wouldn't bet if choosing freely but it's too interesting a game to not look at. Geographically it's interesting because Hartley draws talent form the Gahanna area among others.
Indeed. But... no spin at all... A lot of the Gahanna football talent stays home or goes to DeSales. We get some good legacy kids. And we get some kids who'd never see the field at Gahanna. Prime example was Jaden Manley. Great kid. His older brother was limited to punt returns with the Lions. Too small. Jaden was smaller, but he was fast and a very hard worker. And his family was awesome people. IIRC, he started for two seasons with the Hawks and did well enough to get the notice of Coach Kehres and company at Mt Union. How exciting is that? He's still listed on college roster at 5'8" and 185 lbs. Got a couple catches last season. But measurables? Even now, he wouldn't be a varsity receiver at any OCC school, and you know it. Look at all our wideouts and corners. Fast little guys.

Hartley can talk all they want about being special people { And they do a lot of that } and a special program and there is certainly a modicum of truth to that , BUT make no mistake they are getting more and more talent entering the building every year. Big large Freshman are coming, fast tough Freshman come every year from that part of town. Hartley kills Coffman Frosh every year now{ OK Just the last two } with a couple what looks like a couple 250 pound lineman and fast tough kids and talent in between .
We had to pick up someone else after our freshman shutout Pick Central two straight years. Yes. We get good kids coming in. A couple years ago we had a feeder school night against someone who had no band so it must have been Chucks. They had a little sprinting contest for the kids. I don't go to the grade school games, but we got to see some serious speed that night. They're probably freshmen now. St Pius. St Mary. All Saints. Pipelines for speed. We love those kids.

Not a small few Parish little engine that could program to be sure . They can beat many many D-1 teams obviously It is harder to win state titles at the D-3 level for them to be sure , but they are where they should be division wise.
Agreed. It's good for the kids to play higher level of competition. No disrespect to Central Crossing and Kilbourne, but they didn't match up well.

Hartley booster{ s} will come
That's me. For life. I won't deny it.

at me thinking this is disrespectful for some reason to say they are getting more talent to the school as if that's a bad thing. IT'S NOT , it enables them to blow out some teams on their schedule that they used to win by closer margins vs and it enables them to beat a team like Gahanna tomorrow night and schedule tougher teams. I believe they have a great chance to win a state title this year which will only help get them even more talent in the next few years. I am on record as saying a find Burchfield who I think has built an outstanding program a bit too sanctimonious for my taste has whined a bit at times
I've been watching and listening to the guy for 10 years. He never whines. It's not in his personality at all. He observed that the top recruited athletes at DeSales were transfers and that's a fact. Guys like Smalley, Purpura, and Ulrey are going to ask that question. It's a legitimate question. Burchfield doesn't raise it himself. He just answers honestly. And we're not a mercenary school. If some dad brings a sophomore to school to shop him with the football coach, Burchfield is going to be straight with him. He's got to earn his spot on the roster like everyone else. He's not going to make promises to the kid and family. That isn't what we do. And he isn't the least bit sanctimonious when he says so. He's just making sure that everyone knows the expectations. He does make the sign of the cross a lot during games. I'll give you that. But he's a faithful Catholic guy. He goes to daily Mass several times a week, because I've seen him there. But so did Urban Meyer, and there's nothing wrong with having a strongly rooted faith foundation.

and with the talent he gets he probably doesn't have to . Since moving up from d-5 and D-4 they get better players over there PERIOD! That is a good thing .
I think if you look back at the program history over the last 10 years, you'd have to honestly say that we had some pretty good players in the past as well. Matuska played at Notre Dame. Saxton played at Duke. Morris at Kent State. All great players and a bunch more nobodies who just gave their all. Good guys like Thomas Casimir. He was never going to play college ball. The coaches at the next level were going to rate him as middlin' and too small to play offensive line anywhere. But he worked his tail off at Hartley and played beyond himself. However, being a resident of Pickerington I object to your theory about "better" players. They flock to the Tigers. And they're all moving in from the same Hartley territory - Reynoldsburg, Gahanna, Independence, Walnut Ridge, etc. But we won't complain about the kids we get or their skills on the football field. There's no doubting the talent.

Speaking of Gahanna , NO ONE , and I mean NO ONE in public school circles plays a tougher schedule than these guys do. Start off with Elder with a huge O-line and a solid experienced team , then go to Coffman who has a lot of skill kids and a fast defense and a regional title contender , Hartley who may win a D-3 title and has a lot of horses , they get a 'breather" with New Albany next week before getting a very solid and talented Westerville Central team, then the best team in CO in Pick Central then a very physical talented R-Burg team? WTF, BRUTAL . Does anyone play a tougher 7 games?

Gahanna is good enough to get some things done on offense here but I have to wonder even after just two weeks if they are a bit beaten up? I am not talking injuries as I don't think they are going to be missing a ton and i saw kids go down last week but come back or were just shaken up , BUT I mean mentally as well as physically. Have given up over 40 in both games against two excellent D-1 teams and now face may be the best D-3 team with weapons that may be rival Coffman's especially without Drennan who warmed up but didn't play and Elder who is offensive line driven.

Fleming , Sawyer and January are a great trip . Fleming is at QB but won't play that at Minnesota next year as he is a D-1 'Athlete " but not a QB .Receiving corps is missing a key guy I think and isn't as polished or dangerous as the backs are.
Agreed. We could use some taller receivers. We had a couple legitimate holds on sweeps last week where the little guy on wideout lacked the strength and leverage to put clean blocks on DBs and LBs. He'll learn.

Hartley is going to be a bit more fresh physically as they haven't played nearly the same level of competition so far as Gahanna has. That means they will see more athletic talent than they have seen so far to be sure so that will be an adjustment but they will be may be a bit more ready physically to go at Gahanna .
Yeah. Nothing counts like the real thing, but we have gone to more of an OCC approach to scrimmages. That makes perfect sense for a schedule that includes pretty big teams from Gahanna and Austintown-Fitch. Looking forward to see how we do against this team.

Fundamentally this is a good match-up for Hartley who is run based with a excellent backfield including the QB who can really run . Gahanna gave up big runs on sweeps last week , one with the RB Diallo on a straight power sweep and two receiver in motion more jet like sweeps that went the distance from distance . Hartley has the personnel and a good enough O-line to gash the Lions at times no question .
Agreed. The offensive line is looking great, and they've seemed to have gelled quicker than some have in the past. And we have some decent size there with future all-state and likely D-1 prospect sophomore #86 Daniel Tooson (dad is Kevin Tooson who coached 14 years at Northland if you follow city schools and thought the name might sound familiar.) And junior #78 Jake Skelly who is being actively recruited by Cincinnati and Maryland for sure. Great kid, textbook frame, good hips and feet. His dad coached my youngest daughter in hoops and had a Bobby Knight intensity in coaching. His kid looks to play with the same level of drive but so far hasn't grabbed a metal folding chair and threatened to throw it at a ref like dad did, ha ha. The offensive line is key to a long drive come playoffs season, so we hope they stay healthy.

The crux of the matter for Hartley is , can they adjust to a better level of competition quickly and early on ,with their defense especially being tested by a very talented Running back in Whitaker who I was very impressed with and who played tough going both ways , taking many blows but dishing them out as well and smooth QB Thomas who throws the ball well and has really improved his passing skills from last year and can run with the ball as well .
So far the OCC opponents we've faced have played with zero intensity assuming that D-I > D-III. Some of their guys are going to be shocked at the minor league guys laying down some serious wood in this one.

The weather will be disgustingly humid and warm tomorrow, chance of rain as well. Depth will be an issue for some teams in these conditions . Both teams I believe have the same amount going both ways . One of the keys will be and one that may decide the ballgame is Gahanna 's ability to stop the run as Elder went for over 400 and Coffman had over 300 on the ground.

If I was Gahanna I would sell out to stop the run and force Hartley to beat you in the air
I'm hoping that's the plan. Load up the box and run blitz. Lunkster is the only team on their usual schedule still playing midget ball. And Hartley isn't a vanilla wing-t team. Gahanna has a reputation for getting out-coached. I think that's going to happen again.

and if I was Hartley's staff I make Gahanna drive the field slowly and make them earn every bit of real estate .Whitaker is dangerous in the flat out of the backfield and Thomas can spin it downfield to a nice group of receivers . Stillwell is a great punter for Gahanna.
I think we assume that Gahanna will match scores. Our goal should be to keep their defense on the field as long as possible. Wear them down. Get the O frustrated with the waiting to help cause mental mistakes. Basically the same game plan as the Steubenville games a few years back but with a bigger opponnent this time around.

Touch call great line by Cal Preps.

Hartley 31 Gahanna 20 - Narrow on the line but I think if Gahanna gets a second wind they can hang here. at least within the 12 point line.
I'm thinking more like 28-24, but I think you're right on covering the spread.[/QUOTE]

Thomas is out this week for Gahanna. Separated shoulder at the end of the game vs. Coffman.

Thanks for the feedback Sap , good stuff . Well speak of the injury devil. Of course I saw Thomas go down a couple times but he came back once but I guess that second time was a injury issue. As I said in a note to myself when watching the game and I think I included that thought in this space up above may be, I was really thinking that may be Ward and the staff was keeping their top guys in a bit long in this ne and I opined that I thought may be Thomas and Whitaker especially were in danger of may be getting dinged the longer they stayed in and the more hits they took .

Coffman did what good teams and scored 2 early third quarter Td's to pull away a bit and they made some adjustments on defense that worked and shut them down along with of course not giving the short field with fumbled punts and a long fake punt run , it was clear the game was over mid third with Coffman up 25 . Now of course you don't expect them to give up and pull kids then , BUT I looked up with 8-9 minutes left in the game and saw both those kids still taking big hits when the reality was they could have scored three TD'S and got all three 2 point conversions and still been behind. Coffman was liberally substituting at that point but was still getting to the QB playing with fresh kids vs. a very tired at that point Gahanna squad . Sorry to hear that about him . Hopefully he can come back swiftly. But suffice to say that completely changes my views of the game and I thought about the game in terms of Thomas being out there.

Burger is a good back-up though who did get some snaps and has a decent to good arm actually from the little I saw a decent pocket presence , BUT athletically he does not offer the same dynamic and issues for Hartley to worry about . Thanks for the info AHM .

WEEK 3 Cont.

Pickerington North at Olentangy Orange - CP Line PN - 10 .

Not gong to be a long write-up here , not that interesting really except for PN needs this game like blood as famed CBB handicapper Allan Boston likes to say in this situation . No 'LIKE" blood but just Blood" . We all need blood . PN has been the most disappointing CO team no doubt . Laid a second half bronatasaurus sized egg vs. Liberty and turned the ball over 5 times vs. Northmon and got none of their own .

Thrashed this team last year by 5 Td's , that isn't happening this year. Orange is a solid well coached program and has a decent amount of guys back from last year but they were just Good at times last year . Sometimes less than that. PN on a hot swampy night with limited depth but superior talent needs this one badly . If not ? season over, or at least the type of season they thought they would have is .

I think the QB improves and makes some plays and the top guys make enough plays to win by 2 scores. Cole Johnson the good LB for PN came over from Groveport. I wonder if he regrets it a bit? HMMMM anyway , PN 28 OO 14 .

WEEK 3 Cont.

Little diddy , not about Jack and Diane but about may be the best team in Ohio.

Hoban vs St Ignatius - CP line Hoban county - 6

Hoban county? Yes they are the Walsh Jesuit girls soccer team of their sport in that basic area. WJ has fallen off a bit but they were simply an all area cou9nty all star team loaded with D-1 kids and were almost unbeatable for a time , a LONG time . Have lost a few times in the tournament earlier the last couple years but were an absolute juggernaut dismantling teams with a team that came from many counties, not a handful of subdivisions like most publics. Hoban is a beast a monster, a wrecking crew that kids who show early physical development from a large area near that school at least think about going there at this point? OK they are a small catholic school that just works that much harder? I think it is a little of both to be honest , Nice drawing area and demo and they work their azzes off with good coaches and trainers . But good GOD ARE THEY A BEAST.

Iggy off a close losss to Mentor will be facing a tougher team here and Mentor is the consensus number one team in D-1. This game was close last year and Hoban won by 7 , they win by more this year . Hoban 35 IGGY 20 ,and the margin may be larger but like the - 6 cover A LOT

Last edited:
Week 3 Cont.

Hillaird Darby at Lenkuhster - CP Line HD - 9

14-13 Game last year with Connor Jones the big story running for 135 yards. Lancaster had a team north of the border cancel on them so they didn't have that chance for some improvement in week two after dropping a tough one to Watterson . The Gaels actually were the better team stats wise anyway , having 100 more yards rushing for just under 200 while only giving up 65 . The Gaels threw it for 140 while Jacob Hoying Bobby's boy threw for a buck 70 . Gaels lost the turnover battle by one, but was excellent on third downs on defense. A good overall effort but they have lost soe tough games the last couple years including last years Darby game.

No question Darby wants the Davidson game disappointment to be quelled by taking a trip and having a happy trip home. Lancaster still sticking to the wing T but can throw it effectively at times with a few good targets notably Finck who was productive last year. Tough call and the fact that Lancaster has only played one game makes it tougher but it's an interesting consequential game so I will attempt to make a call.

Darby win the game if I had to make that prediction but I think Lancaster knows this is a huge game for them and will be fanatical in their effort.

Darby 20 Lancaster 13

Week 3 Cont.

Hillaird Darby at Lenkuhster - CP Line HD - 9

14-13 Game last year with Connor Jones the big story running for 135 yards. Lancaster had a team north of the border cancel on them so they didn't have that chance for some improvement in week two after dropping a tough one to Watterson . The Gaels actually were the better team stats wise anyway , having 100 more yards rushing for just under 200 while only giving up 65 . The Gaels threw it for 140 while Jacob Hoying Bobby's boy threw for a buck 70 . Gaels lost the turnover battle by one, but was excellent on third downs on defense. A good overall effort but they have lost soe tough games the last couple years including last years Darby game.

No question Darby wants the Davidson game disappointment to be quelled by taking a trip and having a happy trip home. Lancaster still sticking to the wing T but can throw it effectively at times with a few good targets notably Finck who was productive last year. Tough call and the fact that Lancaster has only played one game makes it tougher but it's an interesting consequential game so I will attempt to make a call.

Darby win the game if I had to make that prediction but I think Lancaster knows this is a huge game for them and will be fanatical in their effort.

Darby 20 Lancaster 13

If the Lancaster team that played the first 3 quarters of the Watterson game shows up Darby wins this one hands down. If the Lancaster team from the 4th quarter shows up Darby could be in trouble. With a week off the Gales didn’t get game reps but they did get extra time to prepare for Darby. This will be an interesting game...one that honestly both teams need to win to stay in the playoff hunt in my opinion

WEEK 3 Cont.

Dublin Jerome Union County campus Country Clubbers at the Dublin Coffman Main campus Shamrocks. CP Line DCMCS - 22

That's a lot of lumber to lay here when you look at what the Country Clubbers have done so far. I mean they come out and toy with Central Crossing beating them worse than Coffman ahs the last couple years actually . They did this with a lot of new faces and people in increased roles if they did play a bit last year.

So that told us that Jerome was probably better than first thought. Celtics feeders have had the best classes in Dublin for a while now so if Geciwich can't take over the mantle of top dog in Dublin in the next few years? It will be on him I would think because he has been all about hyping it a bit in social media the last few years about how good his future Celts are. . Grizzell 7th and 8th graders crush yet another Dublin Middle school and the Frosh team obliterates Coffman and Scioto . he isn't saying it like this of course but it is happening and he is noting it . He is excited , but with that comes a bit of pressure because if he doesn't beat up Coffman and hammer Scioto in a few years? It's on him , he has superior material that is crushing it at the lower levels after all . Yes I know it doesn't always work this way and advantages at the lower levels that exist because a few guys are mature beyond their years just can't be stopped dissipate over time when others catch up a bit.

This is now though not a few years from now and while the CC'S have killed it so far rushing for 235 a game crushing Central Crossing and DeSales they don't have advantages in personnel in the Junior and Senior classes over Coffman . DeSales is a good team and the Celts made them look average at best . SFD QB Godfrey had a nightmare game and the Celts were mostly responsible. 10-24 120 yards and three picks , two of which occurred deep in his own territory resulting in two Jerome scores , game set match .

RB Quinn did rush for 118 on only 15 attempts { Why only 15?} and the Stallions scored on two big plays which isn't the best of signs when you think of playing Coffman who is more explosive than DeSales is. Country Clubbers gained 333 yards , 235 on the ground . Turnovers as they often do push out margins a bit. The good thing is the Celts have more confidence going into this big match-up but the flip side says that they have Coffman's full attention .

Rocks should be ready and fired up here , and the coaches just have to mention the fact that they were down at the half last year as well. Different teams of course and the Rocks are the more veteran team but there is no looking past this club after the way they handled a team the Rocks were really bad against in a scrimmage getting flagged about 120 times and generally were just not sharp.

Rocks learned a few things about themselves as most teams do in the first couple games . They found out that they have a QB that has some pocket presence and is a nifty tough runner. We saw that he can move around and keep his eyes downfield and make the throw while moving. We saw this at the lower levels of course but it showed well on Friday night. We know they have a lot of weapons and when they get Drennan back those weapons become more plentiful obviously but the others become more dangerous as well.

One play showed just how athletic the team can be when power five recruit DE-LB Devon Williams returned a kick that was a bit short and showed good speed after making a nice cut up into the middle then to the sidelines . He also did something that some Rocks skill kids don't do and need to start doing . He had the ball in his right hand to start the run and after cutting left towards the sidelines he switched it to his left hand which was his outside hand.

YOU ALWAYS SHOULD CARRY THE BALL WITH THE OUTSIDE HANDCLOSEST TO THE SIDELINE . It's protected better , guys close in on you from the right and they can tackle the ball and swat at it much easier. If it's in your outside hand they can't get at it . This should be automatic . I was taught that in 4th grade and in all my years never saw any of us running backs through High School not switch the ball to the outside hand or get yelled at about that watching film . Anyway rant over.

Drennan warmed up last week ,but didn't play , my guess he is ready this week which is great. Kirk's AJ and Cam in the secondary I am not sure about .

This game really should be about the Rocks who will be ready to roll and motivation won't be missing here , making the concerted effort to really slow down the Country Clubbers run game which has been gashing their first two opponents . It is said over and over again at all levels of football that making teams one dimensional on offense goes a long way to giving your self a better chance at success and victory.

Last years game was a close one for 2 and a half quarters and this one could be as well . It will be hot and humid , may be rainy for a spell . Rocks will be no doubt be trying to limit the run a bit and make Miller beat them with his arm. He ahs done a good job and showed potential last year as a young Soph. taking over as QB1 about mid season. There were higher expectations last year at Jerome . They had the big fella at Purdue up front wreaking havoc and opening up big holes { His hit and pancake of Diallo in the first half was a highlight item blow} some real athletes outside making plays downfield and some tough defenders making plays a few who are back this year. They lost close ones to Pick North Darby and Scioto sandwiched around the Coffman loss but 5-5 wasn't what they thought would happen surely. Geciwich has done a great job since day one and the program is ascending overall despite the 500 2018 .

This year the expectations were fewer but those have been raised quickly. The Rocks have been put on notice and they are up for this one . Going to be hot so conditioning and depth will be a factor . Both teams will use a couple both ways and the same amount of guys so it is a case of match-ups and execution. Rocks made a few bad errors that kept the Gahanna game closer longer . Were overly generous guests with fumbled punts , going off side on punts and giving up a fake punt. Lets hope the punt game was worked on this week as i am sure it was .

Rocks play clean they should be fine, if they make those errors ? Jerome gets some confidence? Who knows , it's a rivalry game, last year Jerome was sharper in the first half and was winning , Rocks made some adjustments and got rolling downhill and the Celts couldn't stop them as Drennan especially got rolling on offense and the defense seized momentum and never it go.

Do the job against the run make them pass to move the ball and try to get some turnovers as Miller has thrown 4 interceptions so far and the Rocks will be ball-hawking if they make them throw more than they want to . Drennan makes the team more dynamic and without him last week they looked dynamic with Threats, Diallo and Williamson scoring often so if the O-Line continues to improve weekly if not daily the Rocks should put up some points , enough to get the victory .

Special teams will be a factor , both are solid, Magyar is a weapon for the Rocks with 50 + range , deep kickoffs as well and the Punt game was a bit better last week save one bad snap and a shorter field as a result of the ensuing poor punt.

Jerome is obviously well coached works real hard and ahs tough coachable kids . They have some good young talent and have been impressive so far. Coffman is a different challenge though and if all the aforementioned intangibles and other factors are relatively equal ? Turnover margin close ?

Coffman has a bit too much here and if ready to play and excited to show their stuff should win somewhat comfortably.

Rocks 38 Celts 14

Last edited:
Buy a shirt, Rocks fans!!! If you're wondering about the Elder connection, this is a new company that was started by an Elder grad who has resided in Dublin for around 10 years now I believe. Super comfortable, retro-style tees that will be expanding to MANY Ohio high schools in the future.

Please spread the word to your fellow Rocks fans who aren't on here. Thanks for any support you can give!

WEEK 3 Cont.

Grove City at Central Crossing - CP Line CC - 7

Quality of play won't be impressive but there will be passion and a lot of community involvement tonight at CC. CC has scored less than 14 points total so far , Grove City only 7 . I wouldn't want to watch this one , but I hope for a large crowd on this broiling Friday night as the kids deserve a nice turnout for all the work they do. Should be a competitive game but 7 may be a bit light and I like CC by a bit more than this

CC 20 - GC 10

Dublin Scioto - at Whitehall - CP Line WH - 5

Irish have some adversity with the QB out and playmaker Tobias Thomas leaving for Florida at the last minute to name just two things . Season hangs in the balance here as WH is rebuilding I think the Irish stay in there for the evening and hopefully get the win. I think they cover the 5 though.

WH 22 Scioto 20

Still can not believe how far and for how long Grove City football has fallen. Unfortunately, in the Southwestern School district Central Crossing and Franklin Height's isn't much better. Westland is the only school riding a wave of hope with their week 1 win over Licking Heights and week 2 close loss to Marion-Franklin.

If Dublin Scioto can not beat an inexperienced Whitehall, that would say quite a lot about the direction of the program.

FYI: The Grove City rb is a nephew to Coach Crager. I hear he's a undersized, tough kid who would be a solid ball player on a good team, sounds like he plays like his dad & uncle.

WEEK 3 Cont.

Westy South Ibbies at Ye Olde Tommy W - CP line WSI - 16

Phipps will make plays for YOTW and they are an improved program but they can't stay with this stable of athletes for 48 . I'll be rooting for them and they still get free Porridge in the morning along with a 12 musket salute but too much South speed and shake .

WSI 40 YOTW 20

Good win for the Rocks which I will talk about but some interesting games around the state including that wild Hoban -Iggy game where Hoban who I thought would in by a couple scores lost a three TD lead and lost by a point going for two late and missing . Iggy made errors last week vs. Mentor losing a close one but to come back against that team like that? May be those LB'S who missed a few games weren't in full game condition yet and faded in the heat?

Props to Grove City grinding out a win vs district rival Central Crossing, I was rooting for them even though I thought CC would get the win. Football is tough enough without getting the victory medicine once in a while. Has to be a great feeling for them no doubt . I was also rooting for coach Rios and Westland to do well vs. Delaware which I wrote about { post went missing yesterday } but thought Delaware would bounce back and cover the 14 points CAL Preps assigned that game. Keep grinding coach , you've made some strides but the process takes time.

Some decent reads last night some tough losses on the line though as 13-15 vs line after three weeks isn't buying any Steak Kosar lol. I have always used the Pasteur line and he will be back next week . Anyway other tidbits .

Speaking of close losses on the line , Lancaster managed only one score and couldn't stay closer than 14 despite holding Darby to less than 200 yards of offense . I had Darby wining but a bit closer. If you look at many of the stats you would think a 3 point game may be, Gaels seem to struggle early , but I think they lose another small handful of games unfortuantley.

Nice work by Scioto who I had covering the line but didn't see that output coming . Whitehall and Northland both are way down from what they were last year . WAY DOWN. Not easy being consistently good . Losing to OCC teams isn't embarrassing for the Whitehalls and Northland's but they are in real rebuild here. Nice job Irish. Huge game for you next week against a solid Jerome team.

Westy South IB'S I figured by about 20? they won by 14 after being up three scores , Ye Olde Tommy W made some plays like a thought but the Ibbies made a play or two less than I thought. Too many athletes for YOTW to deal with especially that running back who is tearing it up yardage wise.

Hartley as i thought would wear down Gahanna as it was reported that may be Will Thomas wouldn't paly but he did . Hartley was laying 12 and won by a bit more than that. Gahanna was inside the 5 and primed to score late but a snap wasn't looked for { typical } and Hartley got the ball near mid field? I listened to that on the radio sitting trying to get out of the parking lot at Coffman . What are the odds of that happening? Well this year if there is a Cal Preps line to cover for me there is a great chance that will happen lol. Anyway a grinding it out win for Hartley who ran the into the ground eventually and Gahanna couldn't keep up . Speaking of 0-3 teams?

Bradley let one get away as they were stopped on the goal line in another game if you look at the numbers and snap for snap may be should have had a better fate. Had just under 300 yards{ 9 points?} , held Davidson to 257 and a lower 3rd down conversion rate { 33 percent} ran for a respectable 145 yards showing a balanced attack and still lost pretty much ending their play-off hopes. Davidson in recent history has struggled to move the ball consistently when they are this inexperienced on offense . GC games at least recently don't tell much, but they had one score going into the 4th vs Darby before Darby imploded trying to punt the ball. Do just enough to win punt block goal line stands , living right making enough plays when needed . 2-1 not surprising, 3-0 is .

Both Bradley and Darby had more back than HD and that ahs meant lately that ONE of them would beat them . Davidson will have to make all the right moves to beat Liberty { they aren't beating PC } and UA will be a close game and Coffman presents some challenges for them in many areas but paly-offs look pretty good right now for them .

Pic North got off the schneid , with High school sports super hero Jack Sawyer playing QB for the Panthers . I wonder if they installed a play where Jack throws it up downfield , he throws his cape over his shoulder and flied through the air to receive his own toss? He completed some throws and tore it up running the ball as well. Comfortable win for the Panthers who get Westy Central next and probably are looking at 1-3 heading into the Coffman game .

Speaking of Coffman , a real nice second half after losing all momentum after a real nice start getting up 14-0 . Similar situation to last year as the Rocks were actually losing 14-10 at the break . This year it was 14 a piece again with the Rocks getting the ball to start the half. Celts like the Rocks took advantage of the windy conditions to score a couple times in the second quarter. Pass interference on 4th down in the end zone was a bad break but going back to the scrimmage season this has been a flaw. Jerome as they did at times last year just started throwing the ball up in the air hoping for that call . THEY GOT IT THREE TIMES . Olentangy will do the same exact thing next week over and over again . A lot of work to do as I don't know if these guys{ 5 years of starting experience } are going to play again or not

As they did last year they drove it the distance eating some clock . Mostly running with one Drennan pass catch for a first down, with QB Mathews doing the bulk of it . Diallo had a few battering ram runs as they Rocks took a bit of control of the game. I figured a slightly more comfortable Rocks win with may be a couple big explosive plays but they were content to grind it out and take what the Celts were giving.

Up 21-14 the Rocks got the ball back and went back to work on the ground and scored a TD on a nice jet sweep that was called back by a motion call , settled for the short FG to go up the all important two scores. These two scores bled the clock in Davidson fashion and pretty much demoralized the Celts . Second quarter was all Celts as they hit some seam routes and Booth had a couple first down runs { Rocks held the under 100 { 87} for the game after Jerome was averaging 235} as well. A few PI penalties as the Rocks continue to play without their two best secondary cover guys Ohio State Offered AJ Kirk and Yale and Air Force recruit Cam Kirk. That's many years of starting experience being replaced by first year starters and the penalty's and pass completions are part of the learning process. Those seam routes in the middle of the field would be a tougher task to complete with Mr. Kirk back there. Rocks continue to pretty much never have all their top guys on the field at the same time going back to last year .

More thoughts a bit later.

Last edited:
Very disappointing week for the OCC Central in it's last year of being with this roster of teams. Westland got thumped , Marysville momentum stopped cold by Findlay only scoring 7 points losing 21-7 , UA who was winning at the half got beat 30-7 after coming out in the third quarter and giving up 27 unanswered points to lose 30-7 . Central Crossing is flat out regressing BIG TIME. Davidson is overachieving as they get a do over on a field goal late in the half after Bradley fumbled it back to them in a weird rare play that Davidson usually benefits from, yes I know good things happen to good people { their motto} but good God , did they train guide dogs in the off-season and sign up for bell ringing with the salvation army? LOL .

Coffman is a work in progress but looks like the best team in the league as many predicted based on what they have back. Well they started the season with less back than projected as 3 key guys didn't play at all and one only played or was used anyway somewhat sparingly last night{ Drennan } for the first time. throw in DE Starter and productive DE Bramonte moving to Florida and the experienced shut down defense wasn't the same as projected.

Drennan showed some flashes last night but it must be remembered that for him , this was like the others first scrimmage action . He will increasingly get back in game shape and be more utilized each week I believe . I think they used him well last night seeing as it was his first contact. He produced a couple nice first downs showing a burst on a running play through a tiny opening that no one else on the team would have gotten through.

He had one of the 5 completed passes { only 6-7 attempts} for a nice first down catch over the middle in traffic as well. Jerome did a nice job on him on other occasions . He finished with 14 yards on 3 rushes and 24 yards on 4 catches. Look for his production to increase weekly starting next week at Olentangy. Diallo and Mathews both hit 100 yards on about 20 carries . Mathews is a very good runner , he isn't explosive fast but runs well and is slippery. Many times in what initially looks like a 2 yard gain type of play he gets 4-5 . He would be perfect running Davidson's option game no doubt. Still developing as a passer as he needs to refine his footwork and throwing motion adding more touch and throwing a more catchable ball with better timing , but he can throw on the run pretty well which many QB'S can't do well. He is a tough competitor and can take a hit .

Diallo at 215 kind of wore the Celtics down in the second half . Coffman going against the wind hammered the Celts relentlessly with Diallo and Mathews churning clock and bleeding the will out of Jerome . Not only the wind but I think the Rocks sensed Jerome's QB Miller if in a rhythm could hurt them so trying to keep him off the field was smart . Rocks playing with first year guys in key spots in coverage were a bit vulnerable as they got flags and the Celts found a few spots in the zone to pick up key first downs. two 4th down plays were HUGE in the Celts tying the game up before halftime. 4th and goal PI in the end zone was unfortunate if not unnecessary, and a big 4th and 12 conversion in no man's land indie the Rocks 40 was completed between two Rocks going for 18 and a FD.

The first year guys Juniors Weaver and Austin have a lot of potential and will be very good players and both have made very good plays , but you can't replace that type of talent and experience with the Kirks not playing very easily. Rocks play a lot of Underclassmen on defense . Both MLB's are Juniors and doing well as they learn to play at this level , OJ Morris had a near interception as he caught it but as he was going down the bal wasn't secured { It was real close} and has been making plays along with fellow Jr/s Maguire Davis .

Teams paying a lot of attention to DE Hammond Russell the last two games and rightfully so. Bryan Threats { rover corner I call his position was his normal busy active self with a lot of hits and added a couple nice runs in the backfield . Rocks defensive performance in week one looks more impressive as we see Northmont scoring a lot of points the last two weeks.

Olentangy presents the normal challenges they usually do as they have won the last two games albeit against teams not that great who they should beat. Miamisburg is down it appears and D-2 Springfield is not real good either . They will as always be ready for the Rocks , and the Rocks really have to be at their best as I am sure like in 2017 Tangy will bring their home crowd strong . Work to get Drennan in more game shape and utilize him more in practice then the games as time goes on , keep working with the secondary looking for improvement weekly and develop the passing game on offense a bit more . The goal is to be really hard to play against , hard to defend and move the ball against as you near the play-offs. this team has that potential but it isn't there yet. Have a few good lifts a week to keep strong , put some conditioning work into what they Patriots like to call the conditioning bank , you will have it when you need it at some point but need to keep working at it weekly, not at camp level intensity but if you don't keep strength by lifting in season and slack off on conditioning ? Teams who do pay attention to this and keep working at it in these areas will beat you .

Yousey had a nice catch for a 1st down after dropping one and he's a kid who could really benefit from say a Prep School year playing receiver as he is still a work in progress as a Senior but has al the tools { Size athletic ability some speed} to be a productive college player at some level but needs more reps after being a QB for much of his career.

Big week of improvement coming up as the Rocks continue to find full identity, sharpen their skills in certain areas { O-Line D-BACKS , LB'S , Passing game } and hopefully a few of the injured and yet to play key guys can work their way back into the line-up and play to their potential.

Tangy should lay the wood to Darby tonight, Darby has been undersized and getting destroyed by Tangy in the JV/Frosh games going back a few years now. Last year's Tangy team was finesse-based, this years team is size and brawn. Tangy will not stack up nearly as well with programs that have exceptional athletes, but Darby is definitely not that.

Regardless of the outcome, I still feel incredibly bad for Darby parents and fans who have to watch their miserably boring approach to football week in and week out.
I see you are a giant stain wherever you go...

I see you are a giant stain wherever you go...

I'm sorry you have such a problem with honest assessments. I'm saying what 80% of other ppl (who aren't homers for the schools in question) are thinking. But rather than talk about the football, you can't, so you turn it into personal attacks instead. Very typical of someone who can't actually argue with facts.

Harry, I don't give Tangy much of a shot this coming Friday, but Solis has them coached up and playing a little better than week 1. They still are susceptible to giving up big plays on defense and I expect this will be their undoing this coming Friday. QB play will get better thru the year, but has been down comparatively speaking, kinda too bad this game isn't toward the end of the season as opposed to the beginning.

Solis can coach no doubt, always a difficult team to play at the very least, dealing with the school split isn't easy, it takes a little time to get the program back to what it was. This edition isn't a team like say the 2015- 2017 or earlier which may be were a bit bigger more physical , had more numbers, not as many playing both ways etc.

QB played last year vs Coffman and had a few nice throws, but Rocks shut them down second half completely . Braves lost some nice Senior veterans as well but as you have said and i can see on film they have good size at Receiver and some decent athletes at some spots. Coffman played about as badly as they could have last year in this match-up in the first half . Were dealing with a couple injuries and changes to the line-up in the backfield and on defense had a couple go down in this game.

Second half was a different story , much more inspired effort and execution and Drennan did some good things when needed . He is still in pre-season form just coming back last week in more limited duty in terms of touches. Last year he was full strength in this match-up . Rocks still not full strength in the secondary which worries you against this team and their schemes.

The other dynamic that is still present is playing the week after an emotional rivalry game that the Rocks had to win in the second half against a charged up opponent and district rival . So in other words had to play for the full 48 and really play hard that is. Tangy didn't have the same physical and emotional gas come out of them in dispatching MEH Springfield { The D-2 Springfield } .

Good news Diallo who broke his arm vs Jerome last year and missed the next 5 weeks is ready to go this year along with Drennan who should be in better shape and ready to roll this week. I never discount the Braves and Solis . Been an interesting series so far which I will look at when I make a prediction on the Louie Line as I look forward to having his lines back after not doing as well going vs Cal Preps numbers the first three weeks.

Pasteur says Rocks -14, sounds about right on paper. Tangy capable of a win if handed multiple turnovers/special teams problems, but Coffman is going to win this game 80-90% of the time, and probably by double dig 50% of those. Too much strength/depth, and as you mentioned, the biggest issue with both Tangy and Berlin after the split right now is quality line players. Even if you combined these teams, the normal ability this school had at these positions is way down right now, and that spells trouble against a fully loaded D1 opponent.

On to week 4 as the Pasteur line is back and Louie has done some solid work overall. Cal Preps lines seem heavy on favorites and a bit more radical in general and I often felt in between clubs to borrow a golf term that denotes indecision . Of course getting backdoored, front doored and some teams collapsing completely in the 4th quarter can also give you that uneasy feeling .

I saw about 13-14 games that interested me , not sure I will give an opinion on all of them but probably most . I will finish my thoughts on the Jerome Coffman game before getting started on this weeks games .

First off the atmosphere and crowd was outstanding and it should have been quite frankly . Early in the year , great warm weather, a bit too hot during the day but a nice breeze that affected the game to be sure but also provided a nice fan for the patrons and was very welcome indeed .

Student sections were outstanding , Jerome packed their bleachers to the top , Coffman with higher bleachers on the home side did not but had the same huge turnout. Great night for the community . Rocks who I have bene calling for , for what is now several years has utilized a few more guys on both sides of the ball . Getting your best athletes and players on the field as much as possible is a key to success at this level of competition. I also love that they are running more traditional sweeps from the context of the spread concept and nut basically only running zone read between the tackles. Jet pitch like sweeps and hand-offs in the one back set.

Rocks threw only a handful of passes all night . QB Mathews has a nice presence showing leadership and toughness and excellent running ability. He had 100 yards and was tripped up by the last defender twice just missing taking it to the house. He has shown that ability in the last two years at the lower levels and it is more difficult at this level but he is grinding it out and I thought he might be gone a time or two on Friday.

Jerome played extremely hard and they are an impressive squad . They look like they can win most if not all of their remaining games . Darby despite their dreadful 4th quarter vs. Davidson is a good football team and may beat them but I think it's close no matter what and Jerome can win . Bradley is a bit down from where they have been the last 3 years , Scioto got Tobias Thomas back from Florida and he is a difference maker and their QB is close to coming back but they play the Celts this week.

Geciwich has done a great job there. Disappointing year in 2018 had expectations lower this year with less guys back but they are legit. Their league is a bit down overall and they can beat anyone on their schedule.

Clock management and use of timeouts was questionable again but it was a holding penalty that also hurt them. Celtics played a very clean game and the Rocks had a few PI Penalty's s that hurt , along with a motion flag that took a score off the board along with a hold .

Using Williamson at corner in the second half was a great decision. Seeing as the Rocks were mostly running the ball , WR Williamson could be utilized in the secondary and eh played well there as truth be told if he played there full time would be their best pure cover guy may be. He picked a ball off and showed his explosive speed weaving through traffic being hauled down at the 4 . Unfortunately as is often the case on a long interception return their was a flag . You basically are better off not trying to really block anyone right away in that type of situation as the receivers are running downfield the ball is overthrown and picked off and they have to turn around and run the other way. If you attempt to block the offensive guy is often turning his back to you AS YOU BLOCK HIM, the refs see this as a block in the back right away.

Rocks have been outstanding in the second half in the last two Jerome meetings outscoring the Celts 48-0 combined. Were down 14-10 last year and tied at 14 this year.

Finally as is sometimes the case the student sections and may be some players who comment on twitter or other social media talk smack. It's harmless and fun mostly of course and they are well 'kids".

Well the Jerome kids tweeted that 'Coffman had to recruit to have a good football team after some Rocks kids mentioned last years final score . They of course used the hashtag ' HOMEGROWN " as that was a rallying cry last year especially of the Celtics and Coach Geciwich. He and Brian White to name two have been outspoken in the press a couple times in the press. Well it is obvious that may be the homegrown mantra isn't dead as I thought it might be .

Coffman has gotten couple kids who came from lesser school districts with lesser programs who wanted better opportunity's including the first ever Columbus city league transfer { Some other local programs have double digit City league guys who transferred in} but the vast majority of starters over the years { Including QB'S the last 12 years and 17 of 20 years} have been Dublin kids who played Middle school ball at the least here. Coach Geciwich greatly benefitted his first couple years from two Dublin Sells Coffman feeder kids . { Two MAC Lower D-1 Level athletes } . If you read the excellent Pre-season preview that this weeks news does there are numerous mentions of transfers who are significant starters on multiple teams . Coffman has three kids who start who didn't either grow up in the district and play MS ball here or who didn't at least attend Coffman from day one Frosh year.

The kids got this from somewhere and it's easy to figure it out. Of course some kids are going to want to play at traditionally strong programs , especially if the one they are in isn't strong or the school district isn't academically cutting it or the coaching isn't up to par. Geciwich is relatively new at this and his program is growing and is already good and getting better.

Coffman and some others are more established and may be more of a draw or catches people's eyes who may want to better their situation . Jerome has that same great school community and their football and overall sports program is one many kids and family's would want and is an upgrade in reference to a lot of other places.

I am biased of course and I think Coffman would be a no brainer for a family to consider moving to , in fact Dublin was ranked a few years back by Forbes magazine or Money magazine as one of the top places to 'move to " in the country. it is a corporate place in nature and there are move in's and move out's . Both schools have the facilities , excellent academics and are in awesome community's who support the programs . the difference is Coach Crabtree is in his 19th year and has established a very strong program that has only missed the play-offs twice and barely both times , one being after the school split with Jerome and got harbined the other time losing three games by a total of 14 points to three play-off teams. It is also in a part of the district that has more affordable housing options and different types of housing options and is more diverse that is sometimes important to some . If Coffman has had more kids move in and transfer than say Jerome does it certainly isn't because they are recruiting anyone , it just has a more established program and the aforementioned dynamics that play a part.

No problem with the smack talk from the kids or Geciwich using that mantra even if it takes a not so fair swipe at Coffman without naming them , but it must be said that you might be careful about using this indefinitely . Jerome has been dominating at the Middle school levels and the last few Frosh games vs Coffman and Scioto , has had back to back to back to back better classes so they may soon overtake Coffman , beat them, and then some kids may be interested in going to play for them . Will Geciwich turn them away down the line if they didn't attend Deer Run Elementary or Grizzell MS?. If he is 15 years in and rolling and building a big reputation, will kids want to go play there? Could happen. You have the players , are crushing it vs the other Dublin schools, , may be the homegrown mantra will need to be retired at some point ? I don't think so to be honest for the reasons mentioned above but with the way things are going and the momentum you they have they will be just fine.

Last edited: