Dublin Coffman 2019

Harrycrane

It's Less than three weeks until camp starts and there is a bit of time to get those last gains of strength and speed to prepare for the rigors of camp and the season at large.

A lot of skill , a lot of answers and a few key questions need to be answered but it should be a very interesting year on Coffman road. 2018 season is done , was a good year for sure, but a few disappointments as well , a few too many injuries and the last game was not a great performance .

Some unfinished business remains , but equipped with 9 players who either started full time or saw significant snaps on defense including three power five recruits , and 6 on offense including top playmakers Drennan { 36 Offers including OSU } Diallo Williamson and hopefully a breakout performance by standout athlete Yousey , it will be a team that will make a lot of plays on both sides of the ball .

Last edited:

What happened to the second post I sent yesterday ? Yappi should let us know what is going on with this site . I know the debate forum was moved, but why are posts missing?

Football off-season at all levels is close to ending. All consistent winning programs including NFL franchises do the best job of evaluating their personnel and coming up with a plan to best utilize what you are working with.

What do you do well and how to best put your players in the best positions to succeed. Asking players to do jobs they can handle and help the perfect and grown within that role .

As a player grows some extra responsibility or a bigger role can be added or adjusted. I think many people assume all you need is good talented players and that determines a teams fortunes for that season .

It goes deeper than that. It's about being on the same page and working for the same goals . Some really talented players go their way a bit worry about recruitment and sometimes aren't as focused on their HS team as they should be. If you have a few of those guys it hurts the chemistry of the team and the trust the players have in each other.

All winning programs have developed a culture and a plan of action and work hard to build consistency . Davidson culture for instance is heavily rooted in controlling the controlables . Fundamentals , being tough mentally and physically and sticking to a plan of success 3-4 yards at a time and trying to be very difficult to play against and break teams down mentally and physically.

Coffman culture is more QB driven but wants balance . It runs it's program with the belief that the players are responsible for their actions . It' sup to them to be coachable, pay attention to detail , learn their assignments and their alignments if you will and if you look back at their history the team that were most successful were the teams that had that sweet spot of talent and having high character smart kids who had some experience and took care of their jobs and more importantly KNEW their jobs .

Saw on the twitter feed that the 2009 team will be featured at halftime of a game this year , and that team was a great example of being a team that was very good at the little things and lost in the regional final to Davidson ending at 12-1 being the only team to beat Davidson that year . They didn't have the best talent that year, they had some good football players no question , and a D-1 QB but he got hurt in week 7 { And lost their best defensive player in week 11} but the team still did well and was a very sound fundamental team.

I have gone over some things on the 2018 thread that the team could learn from last years games . Consistency and playing as close to their full potential week to week is something that can be improved. Better starts to games .

In other years this has been a problem. They gave up more explosive big plays than they made. I don't see it being a problem this year.

With 9 guys back who played lot of football on defense the types of improvements that can be made come with experience . Recognizing patterns better when defending the pass. better breaks on the ball , quicker play recognition . Improved angles taken when tackling in the open field. Rocks have some heavy hitter sin the secondary , they knock people down and drive through the ball carrier . BUT wrapping up when needed instead of trying for a big hit too often needs to be improved.

Certain things and factors are universal in what is important to winning football games. What does your team do well and how can that translate to taking care of these factors .

Turnovers , with a new QB for the 4th straight year it is imperative that you develop good habits in the passing game that will lessen the number of high risk throws. With a rebuilding O-Line and the quality of the skill kids I would say getting the ball out quickly into the hands of the playmakers and helping the O-line out by not asking them to hold blocks as long at least initially might be a good plan . QB 1 isn't decided just yet but the Junior Mathews is an athlete who can carry the rock . Best natural runner at QB since James Walsh { 2011, 2012 starter} . A more physical runner than James but like him will be capable of moving the sticks with his legs which should help another key component to winning ballgames which is third down conversion percentage.

A sometimes overlooked stat that really can be key is getting negative plays from your defense , putting teams in long down and distances more frequently . Coffman has this capability this year and was pretty good getting at it last year. Pass rushers ,Bramonte , Russell in down positions and Williams coming form OLB proved tough for some teams to handle at times and all three return and should be better this year. Add in playmaker and most versatile performer Junior Bryon threats who can play outside LB corner or safety and just about anywhere else depending on the certain scheme and situation and you have great potential to wreak a lot of havoc in the backfield.

Davidson by the way does their absolute best to avoid any possibility of these NEGATIVE offensive plays by their style . They do sometimes get dinged by the occasional chop block penalty because of their propensity to double team guys and one sometimes goes high and one low.

Special teams are often a difference maker in determining victors as well . Field position is part of this idea . Stoneburner 2014- 2016 was a huge weapon especially in his last year flipping field position with his booming punts . Thins didn't work out for Caleb as a receiver at Boston College but I felt and still feel he could have had a shot at being as punter professionally if he had chosen to go that route. I still remember seeing him punt the ball in 7th grade in the game vs Sells { I was at Karrer watching my daughter in the Dublin Quad MS CC meet} I watched a handful of plays while waiting for the race to start . I saw this booming punt you wouldn't expect to see from a 7th grade game . I didn't know it was him . I asked a guy who it was and he told me Jakes Little brother . Anyway Punting can be key not only in distance but placement . Coverage should be good with the type of kids they have but they will have a new punter this year. Joey Mitchell took care of both last year and had a good career and will be kicking in college.

Junior Casey Magyar is a good prospect and would have bene the guy at many schools last year but had to wait until Mitchell left. He has 45 yard range . Has a little Kyle Clinton in him { Kicker on the excellent 2009 team ] who walked on at Ohio State and while he never won the placekicking job he did handle kickoffs at times .

Coffman had an excellent return guy in Threats who returned a punt and a KO for Td's playing in only 5 games.. Obviously Drennan and Williamson { One KO return TD} can return kicks but I think threats may be the guy they want back there returning as many as he can.

Lastly for today anyway, explosive plays is a factor in the big scheme of wining as well if you will . Coffman certainly has the big play capability with their talented playmakers and with the experience and talent in the secondary especially I feel they should have more explosive plays on offense than their opponents will have against the defense .

In other years this has been a problem. They gave up more explosive big plays than they made. I don't see it being a problem this year.

What happened to the second post I sent yesterday ? Yappi should let us know what is going on with this site . I know the debate forum was moved, but why are posts missing?

Since you disagree with Yappi politically, he's started deleting your posts in an attempt to censor you. Keep fighting the good fight brother.

So it appears the changes made some posts disappear and I basically went back to Saturday . I copied the post from my phone and re-inserted . Is this something that happened to a lot of posts ?

I'll try to track Coffman during the season to check on your assessment. Maybe I'll get a chance to see you at Marion Harding again this season.

I'll try to track Coffman during the season to check on your assessment. Maybe I'll get a chance to see you at Marion Harding again this season.

That would be great because it would mean the teams had good seasons trying to make it a great one . I know Keller’s back and a few big guys up front on defense ? But what is the initial assessment of Whitmer ?

Harry, good stuff about Coffman. How many seniors do they have on this year's team? And what's your prediction for Coffman's record season record?

25-30 Seniors depending on a few who may not come back as there is always some rising Seniors who for whatever reason don't return . That's higher than the last few years. A reasonable expectation barring a ton of unforeseen injuries or other issues which Coffman usually steers clear of being a very stable consistent program , is at least 8-2 . Pick North at home in week 5 will be likely the game of the week in Central Ohio if not in al of D-1 that week. About 10 D-1 kids will likely be playing in that game .

Davidson is Davidson but the trend suggests this is Coffman's year in that game and UA is always a competitive game . Olentangy is a biotch to play as most know , and Road game vs Northmont in week one is an unknown as week one road games with crowds usually bigger and more enthusiastic and the hour and 15 minute trip is their longest . Northmont has bene a solid paly-off team the last few years and despite losing a nice handful of starters will be a big test.

Some Other teams on the schedule aren't gimmee's but it appears Coffman ahs a bit too much this year for them.

That would be great because it would mean the teams had good seasons trying to make it a great one . I know Keller’s back and a few big guys up front on defense ? But what is the initial assessment of Whitmer ?
Couldn't help you there Harry. I'm from the Marion area. I just like to see good football games close to home. The team I follow will be playing on Saturday and Coffman on Fridays.

Couldn't help you there Harry. I'm from the Marion area. I just like to see good football games close to home. The team I follow will be playing on Saturday and Coffman on Fridays.

Yes it's Irish Buffalo that is the Whitmer guy and you are from Marion. So you caught the game last year? Coffman has a lot of the guys who played last year back this year . I know Whitmer will be good so I think there could be a chance they play each other again at that venue. I k now the Toledo folks didn't like that Coffman was closer to Marion which they are . I liked the venue and the result . Good luck to Marion Franklin this year.

As camp is about a week away , the real work is done and the hope for any coach is starting camp with a large majority of his players being better than they were the last time they were on the field as a team. Pre-season 7 on 7 , lifting, running, working with personal coaches , working on footwork ,, explosiveness , speed , technique, strength , endurance et al is ending. Have a lot of the players made those strides that are imperative to success year in and year out .

Coaching is teaching , the best coaches I had were also good teachers. In the academic realm they like to measure a 'year of academic growth" , the best school districts have the highest percentage of students who have that full measurable goal of academic growth. The lesser performing districts have more kids who lag a bit behind and don't consistently achieve that full year of growth.

Football players also can grow in a way that measures a FULL year of that improvement . The year starts in camp and the growth goes until cap starts the next year . There are a few ways this growth can be measured. Size is an obvious one, as some kids do get taller , fill out a bit naturally but of course can add size by lifting , eating right , taking care of themselves well etc. Strength gains are easily measured in the context of how much weight you are lifting in your workouts m but also functional strength than can't be seen until you perform on the field .

Linemen's Leg drive and increased ability to drive kids off the ball , hold blocks, finish blocks and footwork are all things that can be improved year to year. Running backs' leg drive which makes them harder to bring down on contact. You see a big jump from say Sophomore year to Senior year in this respect. Quick feet , stronger feet , more stable base better balance , FINISH runs stronger .

Full years growth means putting in the work iiiin the weight room in the off-season, working on your feet and technique , running and agility , hands , QB's arm strength that comes with better footwork and a stronger base which is only gained from work with weights and reps on the field .

Defensively , increased ability to get off blocks , better initial punch{ O-Line too obviously } and overall strength and agility improvements that help with these things. The full year of growth shows I the mental part as well as you become more confident in the schemes , your alignments, knowing your assignments that allow you to play faster and with more confidence. You recognize things a bit more quickly which can be the difference between a first down and a punt , a completion or a pass break-up .

Many NFL players say there is a 'Sweet spot" in their careers where they are in or very close to their physical prime AND they have the experience that allows them to play faster and or the game slows down for them. In a HS career the journey is quicker and players don't often lose physical capabilities unless they suffer major injuries and even then unless it's multiple they usually recover . But there is definitely that point where kids can reach a point by getting that years growth consistently , are coachable , work hard and are focused where it comes together. They have a breakout type season where things click and they up their level of play.

Last year you saw some of the kids really get better and break-out a bit . This year we will find out soon , but in see some of the top end Juniors { Williams Kirk , Threats among others} to have breakout years after very solid Soph years but were interrupted by Injury or in Threats case the transfer rule . Rocks had a nice 11-2 year that didn't come without some adversity injury wise. Three big tome performers missed significant time . Kirk missed 3-4 games, Diallo 5,, Williams 4 , Threats Kirk and Diallo all missed the Davidson game which really was significant . { Davidson was missing Keys} Other games could have gone the other way but were secured without some of these guys .

Which brings us to a breakout guy last year. Drennan will always be the first FOUR year starter in Coffman history { Kirk will join him next year being number 2 } Mike has a solid Frosh year , but had a injury plagued Soph. Season . Last year he came in stronger and more explosive and with the injury to Diallo had to play a lot more RB and take a lot more hits. He was the team MVP as he consistently make big difference making plays . Pick North he was a workhorse running the ball , Against Olentangy he made a few key plays late , Marysville game he was the guy when a paly was needed either in the running game or passing game. He took a huge leap in his development both mentally and physically and took big strides in his maturity and leadership within the team. MVP .

I see a few of the Juniors to make the jump Mike made from Soph. to Junior year. NFL camps opening up, College and HS not far behind, it's about time.

One month from now it will be game week for the opening games. Teams using camp days , 7 on 7 and their other allotted days are almost over. August 1st things change and the competition for starting positions starts. You get limited opportunity's when you have a lot of returning performers.

Coffman has 9 guys on defense who saw significant snaps and or played almost all the snaps . Injury's afforded some more guys more time but many would have seen a lot of action anyway . Offensively there is a lot of chances for a small handful of guys to win time along the O-Line. Toughness , stamina , how well you are coming off the ball and holding and finishing blocks will be closely evaluated . A few guys can do much to be noticed and grab some playing time.

It appears that the 4 way scrimmage with Pick Central Toledo CC and { not sure St Chucks is coming back after not being competitive } on August 10th is back for another season. Rocks have a nice history of scrimmaging the Pickerington schools the last decade . They didn't scrimmage North last year as they played them in the regular season .

Westerville Central should be the last game like scrimmage , although it wasn't really that way last year. Rocks took care of the Warhawks in the play-offs last year after a benign. scrimmage result with many kids not playing at all of very few snaps after a few kids got hurt the year before.

Some interesting storylines looking ahead at the schedule that is the same as last year except for Northmont replaces Perrysburg in week one after a two year arrangement with P-Burg . N-Mont loses some really nice players from last year but has some studs coming back and is a program that has done well recently. Road test and an hour and 15 minute ride will be challenging. Rocks have lost their last two games when traveling in that direction going about that distance . 2015 they lost to a talented jacked up Fairfield team who was christening their new facility who controlled the action most of the way . Rocks returned the favor in similar fashion the next year at home . Rocks hammered Springfield at home in 2015 but got beat in a close one on the road in a two day game after lightening struck on Friday night. Danny Davis and a few Rocks miscues { Missed short FG and other missed opportunity's } was the difference .

Rocks did win a long road trip game at Perrysburg , but that was against a rebuilding P-Burg team who was overmatched . Northmont won't be overmatched at all here . They will compete and the Rocks need to be at their best. If they are? I like their chances but it's a tough test.

Week two Gahanna come calling and the Rocks have a 2-1 edge in the recent series BUT they lost in 2017 late in the 4th on a Columbus academy Senior transfer Bruckner TD reception from Pickerington North QB Mike Lowery{ Was at Gahanna two years before going back to PN} . Rocks need to get the win at home against a talented team but a program that they beat last year and have a bit more coming back . What happens in week one will determine how much pressure the Rocks may feel going into this game.

Jerome ambles down Brand road to play the Rocks in week three and they were ready to go last year and were ahead at the half. Rocks took over physically in the second half, but the Rocks need to come out strong and take away all ideas from the Celts that they will hang in here. Rock shave more back , , Jerome has some you9nger classes that are chomping at the bit to beat Coffman . Their time isn't here yet however. Will Jerome under their young energetic talented coach overtake Coffman in the next year or two as the top program in Dublin ? Coffman will always have more tradition for the foreseeable future and be the MAIN campus school forever of course . BUT Jerome has talent coming up through the ranks , Coffman knows this and they will protect their Dublin top perch for as long as possible . Celts took advantage of their talented receivers who could make plays in the air in good coverage. Coffman was playing with first year starters in the secondary except for Soph Kirk who was only the second Frosh starter in Coffman history after Drennan was the first in 2016. They won't have that same dynamic his season . Celts have seemed to not using their home grown mantra again this year. Senior Transfer Aziz who came from Coffman will start at WR for the Celts . His younger Brother will be a RB in the program after playing for Coffman Frosh Yr.

Olentangy is always a biotch to play, Rocks and Braves are 2-2 in their recent history. Rocks have a bit more back but need to take care of business and continue their defensive paly which saw them shut out the Braves in the second half only giving up a couple first downs.

PN will be a monster game potentially is the programs do what I thin they will do in the month before the game . Similar situation last year but I think the D-1 talent on the field will be greater and more developed . Hydrate, eat ,rest rinse and repeat time of the year .

Now that 2-a-days have been on for a week plus, has anything jumped out at you to cause you to reevaluate your thoughts on the upcoming season?

One month from now it will be game week for the opening games. Teams using camp days , 7 on 7 and their other allotted days are almost over. August 1st things change and the competition for starting positions starts. You get limited opportunity's when you have a lot of returning performers.

Coffman has 9 guys on defense who saw significant snaps and or played almost all the snaps . Injury's afforded some more guys more time but many would have seen a lot of action anyway . Offensively there is a lot of chances for a small handful of guys to win time along the O-Line. Toughness , stamina , how well you are coming off the ball and holding and finishing blocks will be closely evaluated . A few guys can do much to be noticed and grab some playing time.

It appears that the 4 way scrimmage with Pick Central Toledo CC and { not sure St Chucks is coming back after not being competitive } on August 10th is back for another season. Rocks have a nice history of scrimmaging the Pickerington schools the last decade . They didn't scrimmage North last year as they played them in the regular season .

Westerville Central should be the last game like scrimmage , although it wasn't really that way last year. Rocks took care of the Warhawks in the play-offs last year after a benign. scrimmage result with many kids not playing at all of very few snaps after a few kids got hurt the year before.

Some interesting storylines looking ahead at the schedule that is the same as last year except for Northmont replaces Perrysburg in week one after a two year arrangement with P-Burg . N-Mont loses some really nice players from last year but has some studs coming back and is a program that has done well recently. Road test and an hour and 15 minute ride will be challenging. Rocks have lost their last two games when traveling in that direction going about that distance . 2015 they lost to a talented jacked up Fairfield team who was christening their new facility who controlled the action most of the way . Rocks returned the favor in similar fashion the next year at home . Rocks hammered Springfield at home in 2015 but got beat in a close one on the road in a two day game after lightening struck on Friday night. Danny Davis and a few Rocks miscues { Missed short FG and other missed opportunity's } was the difference .

Rocks did win a long road trip game at Perrysburg , but that was against a rebuilding P-Burg team who was overmatched . Northmont won't be overmatched at all here . They will compete and the Rocks need to be at their best. If they are? I like their chances but it's a tough test.

Week two Gahanna come calling and the Rocks have a 2-1 edge in the recent series BUT they lost in 2017 late in the 4th on a Columbus academy Senior transfer Bruckner TD reception from Pickerington North QB Mike Lowery{ Was at Gahanna two years before going back to PN} . Rocks need to get the win at home against a talented team but a program that they beat last year and have a bit more coming back . What happens in week one will determine how much pressure the Rocks may feel going into this game.

Jerome ambles down Brand road to play the Rocks in week three and they were ready to go last year and were ahead at the half. Rocks took over physically in the second half, but the Rocks need to come out strong and take away all ideas from the Celts that they will hang in here. Rock shave more back , , Jerome has some you9nger classes that are chomping at the bit to beat Coffman . Their time isn't here yet however. Will Jerome under their young energetic talented coach overtake Coffman in the next year or two as the top program in Dublin ? Coffman will always have more tradition for the foreseeable future and be the MAIN campus school forever of course . BUT Jerome has talent coming up through the ranks , Coffman knows this and they will protect their Dublin top perch for as long as possible . Celts took advantage of their talented receivers who could make plays in the air in good coverage. Coffman was playing with first year starters in the secondary except for Soph Kirk who was only the second Frosh starter in Coffman history after Drennan was the first in 2016. They won't have that same dynamic his season . Celts have seemed to not using their home grown mantra again this year. Senior Transfer Aziz who came from Coffman will start at WR for the Celts . His younger Brother will be a RB in the program after playing for Coffman Frosh Yr.

Olentangy is always a biotch to play, Rocks and Braves are 2-2 in their recent history. Rocks have a bit more back but need to take care of business and continue their defensive paly which saw them shut out the Braves in the second half only giving up a couple first downs.

PN will be a monster game potentially is the programs do what I thin they will do in the month before the game . Similar situation last year but I think the D-1 talent on the field will be greater and more developed . Hydrate, eat ,rest rinse and repeat time of the year .
I heard the Elks were at scrimmage with Coffman and Pick Central. Any observations?

On the scrimmage thread I asked if anyone from Centerville or Pick C could give a summation. Vacation and work stuff has had me not posting or observing . Hope to get to DeSales scrimmage on Saturday .

Thought one of the Pick C guys might have seen the scrimmage .

For what it’s worth Marc Givler the recruiting writer on Bucknuts was impressed by the talent and intensity from all participants

Harry, you must begin posting your insights more often. Your fan club has called for you.
:D:D

Yes a huge fan club on the debate board where 90 percent are hard line right wingers lol. Anyone else is spewing nonsense as they support a guy who does nothing but that. Anyway , some travel some family stuff , vacation, work and other stuff has me not posting to the same degree lately . I wasn't able to make the Tri C-Ville Pick C Coffman scrimmage which I heard some good things about . Saw some clips on hudl from some of the participants and heard a few things around here but haven't been home much so I was hoping for a more detailed account from the Pick guys but in a first scrimmage and the format and not everyone playing and a lot of guys running in and out it's isn't easy to give much detail . I am 90 percent sure I will be going to the DeSales scrimmage on Saturday which is always pretty spirited physical and competitive .

Coffman and Pick C have talent no question and have the capability to make runs towards the final four and PC with their recent title is higher ranked and probably has the best all around material in CO and can play with most everyone. Coffman has a couple more questions but competed well from what I was told against PC and C-Ville. I am not familiar with C-Ville ' current crop but after a down year they appear to be better this year I was told. I will resume posting more frequently shortly as I have some thoughts on Coffman and some other programs and as I have the last handful of years handicap a select group of games or the most interesting games weekly . I go against the Pasteur line which gets better each week and more accurate . Week one is always tough . I don't handicap the games I like best but rather the most interesting tilts I see on a board that week mostly from Central Ohio . I have given some thoughts on teams from a pre-season standpoint on the 2018 thread and some in this new one.

I also look to see more of the PC guys before the season starts as well. Their smack talk especailly with PN and Davidson is priceless and worth the price of admission . We need more of 'shivershorts"{ Name for HD Coach Brian White who wears shorts regardless of weather including play-off games in the snow} and the new 'Four horseman" to mock PN'S stable of talent . A few knowledgeable Davidson fans are here as well and I look forward to hearing from them .

Going over the DeSales to see the annual scrimmage { 5th straight year the two programs have squared off in scrimmage number two} and it has been a good physical battle that has been competitive. One year I believe it was the first scrimmage in 2015 it was clear DeSales brough more energy and took it a bit more seriously and played well . A lot of smack talk after that one. The next year Coffman brought more energy and played better. 2017 DeSales sat out some talented kids { Coffman did also but was healthier } and Rocks bottled them up pretty good on defense and did a bit better on offense themselves . Last year was stormy and rainy and I sat that one out .

Rocks competed well against PC and Centerville and this team has a fast defense that runs to the football very well and the offense is a work in progress up front BUT has multiple weapons on offense that can hurt defenses and can pose some serious match-up problems for some folks .

. You are never sure who may play or sit out and as a result you can have some situations with back-ups covering studs out wide and big plays happen. The two hours ends and you have one team saying we scored 4 Td's and the reality is in a real game they would never score that amount. DeSales is always pretty physical , they may throw a bit more now than they did in the past mostly off play action .

Rocks have a lot of experience coming back especially on defense and if al play this morning, they should do well . QB situation will be interesting to watch as Rocks will now be starting a first year guy for the 4th consecutive season . This position is one I will view very closely today.

Saw that all purpose player Junior Bryon Threats was taking reps at RB in last Saturdays tri-scrimmage and showed excellent feet and quickness with some nifty change of direction. He may be the most versatile player on the team. Good cover skills , big hitter, is physical enough to play LB , is probably a safety on the next level but can play corner very well . Best kick returner on the team and it looks like he will be used on offense as well. Drennan didn't have pads on. He has participated in the last three DeSales scrimmages , peeling off a nifty 40 yard TD as a Freshman , a 70 + yard jaunt Sophomore year and on tape it looked like he had a long TD reception last year . Not sure if he goes and gets reps today.

O-Line QB and Middle linebacker spots were initial question marks but it appears that may be OLB -DE Devon Williams just may play some inside backer as well in some schemes. He is a real problem coming off the edge for teams and was a game changer in last years Round two play-off game when he hit Whitmer QB Riley Keller as he was throwing which caused a fumble and set the Rocks up to score as Whitmer got the ball at their one yard line and Keller being hit on his elbow never returned . He has put some muscle on and is now a good fit inside in some situations.

Big Left tackle Junior Daniel Warnsman at about 6-3 270 showed some good feet and some strength on a couple of the plays I saw on Hudl in the scrimmage last week and his development will be a factor on offense obviously .

In other Coffman news , three year starting PG Dom Penn is transferring to a Chrsitian 'Basketball " academy in Chattanooga Tn. I forgot the name off the top of my head but the basketball academy in quotes was purposeful . Dom was a force with the Rocks and will be missed obviously but this was as predictable as the tides . Rocks are in a rebuild situation and it was pretty clear Penn probably didn't want to stick around in that situation which is a sign of the times . Also another pretty predictable situation that I think is a real dynamic is the Buckeyes kind of softening on Penn as a recruit . His dad Scoonie earned a good position in the Buckeyes basketball program and was seen as doing a very good job. Scoonie called Columbus home and it seemed he was poised to be a part of the Buckeyes hoops staff indefinitely . I am not sure about the particulars of his job with Memphis BUT to me there is probably more to it than just being a dream job offer he couldn't pass up .

My guess is he realized that his son's offer from OSU was a bit tenuous and if you look closely at the offers the three star recruit got in addition to OSU { Penn Duquesne St. Louis Kent State and Stony Brook } it was a lay-up answer to the 'which one is most unlike the others question. Scoonie probably wasn't comfortable with the situation and looked for an elegant exit plan . This has more to do with his son I believe .

Scoonie was quoted as saying that it was pre-determined that his son wasn't returning to Coffman . This stuff happens all the time , why would he stay and be part of a rebuild as a Senior when eh could go to a real contender ? Being a leader and being a loyal isn';t a thing any more it seems. Transfers in hoops happens all the time , Thomas Worthington got a few new guys and in a NY Minute is a contender for a Regional title? PC has been getting new guys all the time and it bit them a bit as two guys couldn't finish the season due to the new transfer rules.

Penn was terrific for Coffman , but it was a strong program before he got there and it will be strong again . If he stayed the backcourt would have been excellent with fellow Senior Keaton Turner really coming on as a later developer and Sophomore AJ Sheldon showing some creative promise.

This will open things up a bit more for Turner who I think has some serious upside potential going forward and is longer than Penn and I believe if he has a solid year and may be goes to Prep School for a year to further develop physically ? Not sure Penn dwarfs that potential to be honest.

This was the year for Coffman to make a run as they had a strong Senior class which along with Penn went to the regional level last year . Penn was simply too much for UA to handle in the District final as he erupted for 30 + in may be his signature performance. In the Regional however he was completely bottled up by PC . This year the Rocks were undefeated going into the UA last game of the regular season tilt . Penn was overshadowed by Penn bound Max Martz who went for 30 in the Bears upset win . Rocks with the same team basically back didn';t even get to the Regional level this year as they just had a terrible shooting night at the worst possible time missing countless open looks . Penn again was overshadowed by orange's star who also went for 30 ending the Rock season .

Penn is a good kid and a hard worker, but IMO was an early developer in some ways and may be peaked a bit ? Mid major talent who was offered by power five OSU and now his Dad is gone and that OSU offer ? Is playing on a new all star academy type team going to elevate his stock ? Hopefully for him it does but I am skeptical and I think if a school like Penn admits him academically it would be an excellent choice for him from a long range success standpoint?

There is a flag on the play !!! That pretty much sums up a murky disjointed , zero flow mistake filled mess of a scrimmage. . Flags flew every other play and I mean that almost literally . Mostly { Over two thirds } Coffman infractions . Weird one hand tag sacks, flags thrown well after the fact and just an over officiated quagmire .

Rocks moved it well initially including a long play which I missed taking a call under the bleachers but saw the end of it. The Rocks receiver was tackled just inside the 3 . The 12 coaches and all the players run down the field and they break the huddle and boom a flag for delay of game . Umm it's a scrimmage and it was a long play and coaches and many players have to hump it down inside the ten to huddle and they call the delay?

I get that it is meaningless who scores or wins and I am for having refs in the scrimmages to get the kids ready BUT that seemed weird in that setting. Anyway Rocks misfire on passes from the 8 and kick a field goal .

Defense did well at the beginning of the ten play sequences and if game conditions would have forced some punts , BUT they also gave up chunk yards in the pass game which DeSales is primarily a passing team now and were flagged for COUNT THEM FIVE Pass interference / defensive holding calls . Not looking for the ball , a ticky tack hold and timing just a b it off on breaks on the ball with good coverage . It got so that on EVERY pass a DeSales receiver expected a call. Rocks were aggressive and at times were all over the receivers a bit too early , and a few times in press coverage didn't turn around and look for the ball and got called .

DeSales QB palyed the Mitchell Okuely role on one drive,. In other words he was dead accurate in good coverage and like that dreadful game last November Rocks often took down the pass catchers HARD. . They still give up the reception though and or get called for penalty's . This must improve. They have the personnel to have a good secondary but it wasn't real evident today. DeSales couldn't really run the ball much at all, and they passed much more frequently . Rocks ran it a bit more effectively than they did but their passing game was inconsistent . One real good throw followed by an inaccurate one. QB 2 Maggs showed a live arm and made some good throws with the two's . He has potential to play on Friday nights this year. QB 3 Austin a transfer from R-Burg { Junior?} is an intriguing player Moves well , is athletic and has a nice arm, just missed on some longer throws and hit on some intermediate ones .

DeSales again like a few years ago was more fired up and much more animated , all fired up a few times . Rocks had three lost fumbles, one they got back and a bad pick from QB 1 Mathews on a terrible decision to throw across his body into the middle of the field. Scrimmage was a good one for DeSales I would say as they didn't fumble had less than half the amount of penalty's Coffman had , QB 2 threw a a pick for the Stallions but were cleaner had more energy and executed in the passing game better . They didn't have better athletes but just made better throws kids caught the ball in tight coverage took some big hits and held on .

Rocks have a lot of work to do. They were just as physical or even more so than DeSales but played worse. Secondary needs to solidify their rotation and alignments technique and looking for the ball , QB'S need to develop more consistency which is a given at this point in their varsity careers and the penalty's and pre-snap mistakes need to lessen greatly .

Rocks had at least 13-15 penalty's and 4 turnovers . Most penalty's I have ever seen at a scrimmage . Refs were also in pre-season mode it seemed. I will end this quick post on the worst note .

Two DeSales receivers went down and it doesn't look good . One earlier on went down grabbing his leg after a 10 yard slant reception after being tackled by two Rocks. It unfortunately had the look of an ACL . Kid was on crutches with his knee wrapped . Hopefully it's less severe than that .

Second kid was hurt on the last drive with the Ones . Rocks got off to a good start the first 5-6 plays , but as always it seemed today they were due to give up a chunk play . This play was no exception . QB had about 8 seconds to throw on a 3 man rush drop into coverage scheme and finally found the kid crossing over the middle about 12 yards down field , he ran for another 10-15 yards breaking the first tackle but getting brought down by a couple Rocks landing awkwardly on his hip where he stayed in the initial position for about a half hour before the squad came and took hi to the ER. Looked like a dislocated hip which I hear is dreadfully painful and it was evident the kid was in a lot of pain. An awful thing to happen . That cut the scrimmage a bit short as the Two's / three's came on to finish the scrimmage .

Terrible blow for the team to potentially lose the two kids for the year but really awful for the kids . Hip injury kid I was told was a Senior and plays hoops, other kid was an underclassmen but both were first teamers . Wishing those kids a speedy recovery .

I was also at the scrimmage trying to take in some football. I was standing on the fence opposite the scoreboard. I was hoping Harrycrane would say hi. I thought neither team looked good. But like HC said, desales played harder and with more enthusiasm. But I cant see desales beating someone who is physical. Desales looks like a different program than the last time i saw them when they were big and strong and running the ball. Brutal injuries for desales too.

I was shocked by coffman. Not the fact that they played soft, undisciplined and without any kind of passion. But more of what I saw on their sidelines. I was standing close enough to watch and see. Someof the better players for coffman did not play. And they were nonchalant about not playing and didnt seem to care at all about what happened with their teammates. I shouldnt say didnt seem, but they didnt care. I was watching it. This has the looks of a team with a lot of talent and a miserable season.

Im sure HC will crush me. and maybe Im wrong. Well see. I dont really know their schedule.

I was also at the scrimmage trying to take in some football. I was standing on the fence opposite the scoreboard. I was hoping Harrycrane would say hi. I thought neither team looked good. But like HC said, desales played harder and with more enthusiasm. But I cant see desales beating someone who is physical. Desales looks like a different program than the last time i saw them when they were big and strong and running the ball. Brutal injuries for desales too.

I was shocked by coffman. Not the fact that they played soft, undisciplined and without any kind of passion. But more of what I saw on their sidelines. I was standing close enough to watch and see. Someof the better players for coffman did not play. And they were nonchalant about not playing and didnt seem to care at all about what happened with their teammates. I shouldnt say didnt seem, but they didnt care. I was watching it. This has the looks of a team with a lot of talent and a miserable season.

Im sure HC will crush me. and maybe Im wrong. Well see. I dont really know their schedule.

No I will not crush you because i have learned not to take too much from scrimmages in terms of how a teams season will turn out . Rocks have looked real good at times in scrimmages and like today not so much but suffice to say as most good programs they evolve , tighten some things up and have pretty good years on a consistent basis. Coffman has more kids with locked up starting jobs than DeSales does and it showed.

Some top players played , some didn't and I'm with you on the sideline behavior . It's not great and there wasn't much enthusiasm on the field or support from the sideline . Can't argue that . I do think in a couple weeks this will look different and that fire will be there though. Westerville Central is a good team and a good program,. They scrimmage them on Thursday , not sure who will play and I am not sure if some kids who are a bit banged up SHOULD play . But obviously there are things that need to be cleaned up and some attitudes to adjust.

I typed what I thought when I got home and while I concur somewhat with what AHM said, I think jumping to a conclusion of , ' a lot of talent and a miserable season isn't real accurate and a definite overreaction . I mean when was the last time Coffman had a 'miserable season? A lot of these same players { yes some sat out} were 9-1 in the regular season and 11-2 overall. They played with grit and heart . That hasn't left their bodies all of a sudden.

Yes DeSales was more motivated and why not? They have less experience and a less unsure starting line-up . Those kids are going to be more motivated to show what they can do with passion . I didn't see many wounded Stallions or kids without pads on so I assume most if not all their top guys went. Attitudes on the sideline could have been better I suppose, I was on the DeSales side for most of the day sitting up high . Coffman ahs a few things they need answered, but most questions about who will play and who is a number two has been answered presenting a different scrimmage 'Dynamic".

This team has too much talent and too much experience to crap out . coming to that conclusion after watching 30 plays is foolhardy and the sideline take while accurate isn't indicative of the attitudes of the players when on the field together as a unit . Rocks under Crabtree who is starting his 19th season have never had a losing record and have been above 500 in all his seasons. Worst regular season record was 6-4 in 2005 right after the Jerome school split and two of the games ,lost were razor close and could have gone either way. Have made the play-offs 10 straight times and the team in 2008 ended 7-3 with losses by one point 4 points and 10 points all play-off teams. They were certainly a play-off caliber team but got harbined. Worst start Crabtree and his staff got off to was 1-3 in 2013 with a group with 3 starters back . They won 6 straight to make the play-offs and beat a Centerville team that crushed them in a scrimmage at Coffman stadium 42-14 on the road in round one .

I think the staff knows what it is doing and the players know their is work to be done and will be ready to roll with a motivated attitude in two weeks when they go to Northmont .

Congrats to Seth Shumate for committing to the Buckeye's Wrestling Team for 2022-23 kids a flat-out Stud.

Rocks preparing for their last scrimmage tomorrow as the murky soupy humidity came back for a few days . Saturday scrimmage was played in oppressive humidity for a about an hour before it clouded up and became less intense and the defense showed some signs of being gassed after they were on the field for a bit after being flagged for multiple PI/Defensive holding calls .

Tough loss for the Rocks defesne was a real gamer Senior Sebastian Bramonte who has moved to Florida it seems , kid worked really hard was coached up by the staff and was a playmaker at defensive end . Made a ton of plays and was primed to be a key for the Rocks defense . From what I see he is playing for a lower level football Program in the Tampa area{ Ranked very low in Florida } . Was really looking forward to watching his development as he was really progressing in the off-season and was primed for a big Senior year. Can't be easy for him leaving at this point and going to a school that got hammered most every week last season giving up 50 + multiple times{ good school in an affluent area } . Families move in they move out . Dublin is place where this happens all the time . Grose a big tight end DE body left Dublin and Coffman last year going to Mansfield to play with cousins and would be a nice piece for the Rocks as well .

They had a move out who moved back in it seems in Tackle Warnsman whose family moved to Texas and then he is back now. Corporate town and this kind of thing happens . Next man up . Not sure who they will use in that spot , but a few kids may be able to step up . I would love to see Diallo may be play some defense after being used strictly as a RB last year in a injury plagued year . He may be more built like a LB but he could certainly play outside as a stand-up or hand down DE as well at least part time. .

One of the strengths of the Coffman defense I saw coming was SPEED, especially setting the edge , now with Bramonte in Florida for his Senior season { Must be really hard to leave his teammates of many years going through al that hard work and improvement with them being poised to build on his good Junior numbers missing out on the culmination of his career and playing in a weak program down there } I see less speed on the edge and a hole there. I think although shorter and built more like a LB Diallo as I mentioned with his running back speed and quickness could be very useful playing on the edge on defense to make up for the loss.

Of course he is the top RB { Drennan is the best but is more valuable moving around in the slot out wide and in the backfield at times} so his reps out there would be minimal?

Some things I saw at the scrimmage that need to be worked on . As I said and it is a pet peeve of mine as a former Defensive back { Mostly corner but some safety as well in some schemes } NOT looking back for the ball as you run with a receiver is a sure fire way to increase the odds of PI penalty . Of course you can play the receivers eyes and watch his hands to see when he is going for the ball and make the play without looking back if close enough , BUT just turning a bit and glancing back for the ball is optimum .

Grabbing jerseys covering a crossing route when you have help in the middle of the field is frustrating as well as you are guaranteeing a completion of sorts unless the ref misses it . You aren't even making the opponents QB make the throw and the receiver to catch it in traffic . I saw a ton of not looking for the ball and some jersey grabs that weren't necessary.

On a few occasions I saw either Linebackers or D-Ends in position to come up and make a play after they saw a running paly develop coming right towards them and they waited for the ball carrier to get to them . Not good. You see the play develop you come up and make a play on the ball-carrier. On two occasions I saw no blockers in between the guy with the ball and the defender. You stay back flat footed the ball carrier gets the first few yards free and then likely falls forward because he has momentum and you don't and he is likely to " WIN " that collision.

You come up and initiate the contact , NOT HIM , you can dictate equally . Now you rush up and the ball carrier can make a move or a cut , that's OK , most back slow down when the cut and you can still get a smaller piece of the guy slowing him further. When that happens your teammates who are pursuing can clean up your initial contact . Now of course you also have a chance for a shoulders squared take down on that spot . Stay flat footed and wait? It's a gift . As a corner I can still my position coach's voice bellowing , ' COME UP . COME UP " on a pitch sweep or an of tackle play breaking outside. Take pride in not having ballcarriers turn the corner and linebackers take pride in filling gaps and initiating the contact.

Pad level needs to be improved with a few O-lineman but this is a constant and the Rocks have a handful of lesser experienced guy vying for starting positions .

Rocks are noticeably vanilla I pre-season scrimmages over the years. What I saw on Saturday was no different . One thing that stuck out was on the quick long hand off like short sideline out route was timing. QB waited a second too long throwing AFTER the receiver made his break I suppose waiting to see if he was open . Throwing to open receivers obviously is a good thing , BUT on a quick hitch or the short out route there has to be trust and timing that will enable the QB to throw the ball BEFORE the receiver makes his cut . Waiting causes a couple problems . First the receiver runs out of real estate quickly. Secondly the receiver will be most open right after the break if it is sharp and can catch the ball not worrying about staying in bounds . The other thing is if you wait , you have to unnecessarily FIRE the ball to get it there before the guy runs out of room making it less catchable .

Now not everyone can throw that great catchable ball like say former Rocks QB James Walsh who was like a pitcher that could change speeds and had nice anticipation throwing the ball on time not having to throw the fastball all the time . Gunnar Hoak throws a very catchable ball , not everyone is as gifted in the mechanics of throwing but the timing and the anticipation that comes with reps and focus can improve .

QB Mathews who took reps with the ones and is the likely starter has some Marcus Ernst in him. He is built like him { 6-0 185 } is athletic , a bit more physical may be but the type of athlete who can play slot , defensive back and be good in those rolls . He will get better with the reps and there was a few instances where the snap was off throwing off the timing which is another pet peeve that was the culprit to a non completion , but working on anticipation , throwing on time and building trust with the receivers which is a good group will increase the completion percentage and give QB 1 more confidence going forward . Reps and focus are controlables if you will . Rhythm , timing and throwing catchable balls consistently takes time and I think the QB'S have the potential to be productive .

This group should be getting open more than they do the last couple years which will help the new QB as well . Lazy , flat routes is the bane of all QB'S, receivers need a little shake and quick feet and separate more . Qb's need to et the ball out quicker and into the talented playmakers hands .

Hopefully storms stay away from say 6 to 8 tonight in the Westerville area.

The storms did stay away as it was a cooler early evening and the scrimmage went on unimpeded by weather. First take away was it was a better effort in most respects than the DeSales scrimmage. Penalties were down and execution was better for the most part and they played with a bit of fire . Westerville Central is play-off caliber again as they were last year with Coffman beating them in round one 27-10. WC has some high end talent and I think will give some teams problems athletically. Initial impression was both teams had athletes which we knew going in .

Teams were at about the same emotional level , whereas the DeSales scrimmage saw a large disparity in that regard with DeSales showing a lot more emotion. Some guys sat out , some played again in ter4ms of the better players. It was a first half Varsity second half JV tilt, with the teams starting each possession at the 35. Kick-offs were not live but Punts were included . Coffman it must be said has a heckuva kicking prospect in Junior Casey Magyar who has 50 + range on field goals and will kick balls out of the end zone consistently.

Coffman started with the ball and scored on the second play . First down was a quick 5 yard out with better timing as the receiver caught the ball in stride with room to stay in bounds , an improvement over the DeSales scrim. I won't mention skill kids names who made plays to help with scouting the team pre- real number wearing season lol. Second play was a slot receiver motion jet sweep that went for 60 yards and a TD with the player showing a nice second gear. Play developed well a couple nice seal blocks enabled the ball-carrier to get to the edge and turn the corner , got another block and just ran away from kids down the sidelines . Nice play. XP Good 7-0 . Rocks defense got off field quickly on first WC possession.

Rocks not as sharp on second possession. Got a first down and were moving but pass was picked off on a third and long , poor protection wobbly pass . WC as the rules of the scrimmage dictated started at the 35 { Pass was picked deeper in territory} second possession saw stud recruit Rickey Hyatt get loose as he sidestepped a kid at the line of scrimmage made a cut outside and galloped for about 35 yards. QB Judah Holtzclaw who is a big { 6-5 } rangy athlete with a good arm threw a strike a real drop n the bucket over the shoulder throw to the receiver inside the 5 near the sideline over his shoulder with pretty good coverage putting the ball the only place he could type of effort. 7-7 .

Rocks third possession saw some near completions but no cigar. Accuracy problems, and too much velocity and not enough touch being the issue. A long pass with the Coffman kid a step and a half behind the defender was a bit overthrown .

WC third possession saw a nice third and 8 conversion on a timing sideline out route right at the stick. Good throw by QB. a nice crossing route went for a chunk of yardage. Rocks then started getting good pressure on QB and got a sack and set up a third and long where the Warhawks got half back but Rocks held on 4th and 6 .

Rocks 4th possession started quickly as they gained about 17 on a slip screen with a nice block springing the receiver. Rocks then ran a middle screen which initially looked like a nice gain and a first down but went for more as the receiver showed some shake and good balance and streaked down field towards the end zone zig zagging a bit towards the sideline as he was going out of bounds inside the 5 the ball was knocked out of his hands and just out of the end zone resulting in a touchback . Still 7-7 but Rocks moved it well improving their execution. This drive showed better run blocking .

WC 4th possession showed a nice effort on a middle screen with a burly FB type refusing to go down . WC converted a 3rd and 7 and were fired up . First down was a positive play as well but the Rocks did a nice job of converging on the receiver sandwiching him with one kid stripping the ball as the other one put a shoulder into him.

Rocks 5th posession . Nice run by backup RB setting up a second and short which they converted . QB 1 on a zone read kept the ball and made a nifty run for about 15 yards. Rocks moving it. Rocks went into a little seen jumbo type package with a big blocking back and three kids in the back field. with one going n motion. Pounded it to set up a 4th and 2 . Power set with no motion resulting in a nice 5 yard power run with the RB showing good burst. Same kid who will be a rare Rock to play both ways burst for 8 yards on first down and they got the first down in the jumbo package.

Nearing the end of the varsity portion of the scrimmage as the Rocks were chewing clock with the run game. Drive stalled a bit and a nice set up tight end who rolled out of the back field on a boot like play action on third and 7 was wide open but QB and he were crossed up with the QB throwing it where he thought the receiver was going to turn . He turned the other way . Play was perfectly designed and will be an easy pitch and catch hopefully down the road. this pass was also to a kid who may playa bit both ways as he is a starter on defesne.

Rocks get a 5 yard penalty and the FG comes from about 35 yards and is good down the middle. 10-7 half . JV second half didn't stay long . no score either way with about 4 minutes left 3rd quarter . Coffman moved it well twice settling for only 3 points with the unfortunate touchback And they got the long TD on the jet sweep . Have a few more thoughts to come shortly.

Last edited:
I can't believe it's game one week as the sun becomes less intense and the humidity takes a vacation but is sure to come back to work for a week or two later . College football game day started today ? Miami -Florida renew their rivalry? A skinny little runt named Dalton gets paid big bucks to beat people up ? Tell me you don't love it?

For the last 3-4 years I have been talking about Coffman playing some kids two ways situationally and utilizing some top athletes to get their top in order to get their top athletes on the field at the same time more often . Looking at the roster that just came out I saw some guys who weren't on it which disappointed me as it is becoming clear that some kids are wanting to either specialize or they just want to NOT play football . this isn't unique to Coffman as many a sturdy , strong fast and talented an athlete communities choose to not partake in the game of football for whatever reason .

This year more than any other looking at the roster I see more kids listed on offense and defense and the small sample size of the scrimmage season I see more kids playing two years than previous years.

Move out's happen , kids wanting to 'Concentrate " on another sport they thin they care great at or at least good enough at to get more attention from higher level decision makers . Well as former Kilbourne coach Vince Trombetti once said that I thought was somewhat profound ? ' these kids who drop football aren't as good at the sports they say they want to concentrate as they think they are. Football is a grind . It isn't for everyone and many schools have multiple big strong fast athletic kids who quit football , but it is disheartening just the same. Not only that but most college coaches in all sports LIKE MULTIPLE SPORT ATHLETES . And secondly football offers much more opportunity to play in college for top athletes than other sports do . More spots, more schollys more money . Basketball is easier to play , more fun. Laid back in comparison . I get it . BUT so many obvious potential receivers and defensive backs just quit football because they want to play in some fall league hoop dream circuit.

They may even know they aren't really a hoops prospect but it's easier than grinding at football even though they actually have more potential at that sport . Happens all the time every year really talented kids choose to quit football saying they are going to be great at some other sport. It almost never happens the way they SAY it will. OK my annual rant is over at kids quitting football because it's too hard is over.

Oh my bad it's because they are really going to work hard at another sport { This rarely happens in actuality . they just get to go home after school and sit on the couch from 3 to 5 before they 'may be " go work on something else.

Anyway i have talked to some coaches over the years and they tell me ' there are a handful of kids who could really help us and help themselves playing for us , but for whatever reason there are more and more capable kids and more than capable kids walking the hallways who don't come out .