Dublin Coffman 2019

Friday road trip to start the season to the Dayton area for the second time in the last 4 seasons with the last time culminating in a two day get on the bus to Springfield because of lightning LOSS after controlling the game for the most part. a couple squandered opportunity's to get points and Danny Davis making some huge plays and Leonard Taylor I believe did also . Coffman had won by 34 the year before in Dublin.

This game from the weather reports won't be a two day affair against Northmont . Still a tricky road tilt on opening night . It helps in week one, as the season goes on it gets a little relevant I believe but on opening night it helps.

Drennan is questionable after not participating in any scrimmages . Foot issue . He had a nice write up in the dispatch that had a personal touch . One of the points was Drennan who was Coach Crabtree's first Freshman starter has been the most heavily recruited player. Other guys had a lot of attention but not the sheer volume of offers. Coach Crabtree made a good point in saying that in this era of college football with the prevalence of the spread offenses , Drennan has the type of skill set that is very valuable . Basically he is quick fast, shifty, savvy , and can run wit the ball and catch it very well . Hopefully he can play some or if not the Rocks have enough to compensate.

Pasteur site isn't up for the first three weeks at least , so I will handicap some games and unlike last year I think I will not stick to the 10 game max, but I could go some weeks with less than 10 plays . I will simply look at and pick the games that are interesting to me and probably others as well in most cases .

I will have to use the Cal Preps line which isn't as accurate early but first week or two are always the hardest to get a bead on. These are the games that interest me and a quick comment with no pick just yet.

GAMES

Coffman -Northmont - Cal Preps line Coffman - 16 - Drennan is probably worth a score here so if he can't go that line seems heavy. N-Mont lost some studs on defense but has a few good players back including a couple playmakers and is at home . Good test .

Pick North - Liberty - Cal Preps line PN - 2 Game at Liberty I believe- OL is a big up front program at this point. They used to have a couple big kids but they all seem to be good sized on the O-line now . BIG NUMBERS ,, corporate type program , not flashy but consistent. PN has some star power and more talent and has handled this team easily the last two seasons. Seems light. OL lost 33 Seniors but has some similar plug in players .

Davidson - Grove City CP Line Davidson - 48 - Yes you read that right , 48 -0 is what they have as the difference between the two clubs. Now to be fair GC is 6-44 over the last 5 seasons. In 2014 they did beat Davidson 6-0 . Davidson made the play-offs at 6-4 and GC went 2-8 . Interesting parallel is the last time Davidson had an offense that was this inexperienced? You guessed it, 2014 and they opened up getting out by a 2-8 team , THIS 2-8 team. Going to take the points of course in this one because I don't think Davidson scores 48 points in the first three games combined.

Jerome - Central Crossing DJ - 17 - heavy line , DJ huge losses , CC trying to get over 500 , I see a good ball game more thoughts when I pick .

Westerville - 1 Whitehall - WC is talented , So is White Hall both made play-offs one in d-1 and one D-2 . but WC wins by 13 last year and they are better this year so that one point line is not good .

Springfield - 10 Bradley - Interesting match-up but it seems this in one line that CP got close to right . More thought needed.

Darby - 1 Olentangy - 4th meeting , teams know each other , Tangy choked this one away last year . Darby appears better this year ? Another tough one .

New Albany - 11 Westy South - Are the WS Ibbies back? They certainly look talented and have some real speed. NA is the more stable program . 11 SEEMS HIGH . I'm leaning towards the IB'S .

R-burg - 15 UA- Buddy White has the program in a good place , kids aren't leaving to go other places and even are getting a kid or two from other parts? Good line, but UA with new HD disciple coach may bleed clock much more than years past ? More thought

Out of area games

St Ed's - 1 Mentor - really interesting as usual , Teams split last year with the catholic power winning the more important second one in week 13 . seems light.

Colerain - 23 Wayne - seems high considering Colerain is with new coach and offense is not a veteran group . Wayne also in a new era as Minton is done there. Wayne has pieces but up front some questions ? probably grabbing the generous points .

Go easy on the suds Friday night, Harry. Got a long drive home and you got to be up at 9 to see the visiting Hawks kids doing their midget ball thing! Good luck to your Rocks on their road trip.

Go easy on the suds Friday night, Harry. Got a long drive home and you got to be up at 9 to see the visiting Hawks kids doing their midget ball thing! Good luck to your Rocks on their road trip.

Couple cold ones pregame, water during game so no problems driving . Don’t bring a flask into the game with moonshine like some guys I’ve see lol. 2014 Playoff game vs. Wayne in Bellfontaine . Local Townies were hitting those flasks and bottles HARD .

One guy by the middle of the third quarter watched the rest of the game with a hand over one eye . ( Double vision) that story made me think of that song from Foreigner .

Thank you , opening night on a longer trip can be tricky . A few guys will be out ( Drennan? ) but Northmont lost some very good players from last year so Rocks will be competitive .

No 9 Am game for me , I’ll be up early and it’s first day of college football so some final work to do . Hopefully Rocks Frosh do better than last year . You guys keep getting better and better players .

Couple cold ones pregame, water during game so no problems driving . Don’t bring a flask into the game with moonshine like some guys I’ve see lol. 2014 Playoff game vs. Wayne in Bellfontaine . Local Townes were hitting those flasks and bottles HARD .

One guy by the middle of the third quarter watched the rest of the game with a hand over one eye . ( Double vision) that story made me think of that song from Foreigner .

Thank you , opening night on a longer trip can be tricky . A few guys will be out ( Drennan? ) but Northmont lost some very good players from last year so Rocks will be competitive .

No 9 Am game for me , I’ll be up early and it’s first day of college football so some final work to do . Hopefully RicksFrost do better than last year . You guys keep getting better and better players .
What's wrong with Drennen? On paper he's easily your best player.

Week one is here and the weather looks fantastic tomorrow night . Warm but not too hot , about 80 degrees at kick-off and not the real swampy sticky or real hot night you can get in the first few weeks . Been to a few long weekend Labor day soccer weekends in my day and it was brutally hot a few years. Should be very nice on Friday night and shows clouds on the weekend but not too bad.

Glanced at the Friday night live preview and looked at some match-ups and may be changed my mind or first thoughts a bit on a couple games , but overall not much changed.

Pickerington North - 2 at Olentangy Liberty - Liberty looking for it's first points in it's third game vs the Panthers. YIKES . QB Okuely went out early last year in that game and that was a tough blow. BUT. They have been outscored 59-0 . Liberty lost 33 Seniors , they have some good players back including shifty Jr. RB Aiden Kenley . They have a bigger than average O-Line as they have had the last few years but it doesn't appear to be as good as last year's unit? North has weapons all over the field. Lawrence at RB , Scott at WR , Sawyer wherever they put him either at TE or out wide. Jordan Lowery s a good player in the slot . I think Liberty may score this year but they won't stop North from scoring more than them. 2 points ? Liberty has bene a step up in the play-offs team even when they look ordinary more than not in the regular season .

North has too many weapons here . Liberty is playing a handful of brand new players . They are clone like it seems as even Steve Hale intimated by saying ' many of our players look the same" . North has a few guys who just look different. PN 31 - OL 14

Coffman -16 at Northmont - Rocks Drennan is questionable. My thought is he may dress and not play much unless things look dire . Pure speculation. Conflicting reports abound. Didn't participate in any scrimmages . Anyway it isn't as if they Rocks don't have other bullets in their holster. Not in perfect health overall and this may handicap the game a bit towards the home side here. Rocks are a work in progress in a couple areas . In other areas they can do some damage on both sides of the ball. Key to the game is to make this team beat them. Make them drive the ball , keep their quick speedy wideouts in front of them and whack them when they catch it . O-Line needs to keep their feet moving better and finish some blocks. If they do this even without Drennan weapons like Diallo , Threats , Williamson , Yousey and QB Mathews will make plays.

Defensively they need to stay disciplined and set the edge and let their speed clean things up . N-Mont has a nice RB as well who is sturdy and runs hard. New QB a Senior who is getting his first chance . Not big but looks like has a strong arm. Field position , good special teams , and make them beat you being a difficult team to play against. Tough handicap because of Drennan's status because he is a home run hitter but I guess my gut says handicap it without him . Home team in a home opener gets a few extra points as well. Coffman 27 - N -Mont 15

Davidson - 48 vs. Grove City - not a question of who will win this one as Grove City is in rough shape as a program. 6-44 Last 5 Yrs ? WTF sorry but that community and program should not be in this position . Not a ton of talent down there at the moment , but they have more kids back than HD does and Davidson 'Only" beat the 31-0 last year. HD in this recent era is trending down a bit from their very lofty perch and while they are still really tough to play against for most and still put together very good teams, they are no longer a re-load program.

At least not on offense they aren't . Coach White has long peached that his 'system " is more complex than it appears being a run only approach. I believe him . I see it , it takes some time to get. The recent trend is clear. When Davidson loses most of their offensive starters? they struggle to score points the next year. With one returning starter this season I am not thinking this trend is going to end . GC has slipped so badly that there is no way they come close to 2014's last win vs HD when they faced a similar rebuild in a low level Pop Warner like 6-0 final.
31-0 two years in a row ?

HD 33 - GC - 3

Last edited:
Week one cont.

Springfield -10 at Bradley - Really interesting game an it's a tough one to figure out . For me anyway . Sweet Mo D's team is good no question. Loparo's squad and program is humming along as well. Bradley who many who were there have attested was the better squad last year in week 12 when playing Pick C. Yes that week the Jags were probably the better 'Side " as they say in European soccer parlance . This is a different year though. the heart of that team is no longer here ? Three O-lineman return and a few good defenders do as well , but it is such a tough call as to what this program has this year. They have a stud Chris Mayfield and another Younger Mayfield at WR who I hear is special .

First instinct is to say Springfield has more and will pull away but again that road trip and what I see as may be a lack of real discipline as a program tells me that 10 points is may be a bit much? Season openers are a bit different at this level. Bradley has been building some continuity of product so to speak but I still think with a new QB and some questions not answered 10 may not be enough ? Real tough call . I wouldn't bet this really sharp line considering it's week one with my political enemies on the debate boards money . But for the purposes here it's an interesting game which are the ones that I try to predict My score prediction will tell you how strongly i feel about this one .

Springfield 23 Bradley 14 Bradley covers by a missed x point .

Week one cont.

Westerville Central - 1 Whitehall - WC has some real talent , I have seen with my own eyes the last two years at two scrimmages and last years play-off game loss to Coffman . Hyatt runs wild here I am afraid for the hmmm is it the Rams? Sorry too lazy to verify it but I think that's their name . Reminds me of a joke I heard from one of my favorite comics who passed away in 2005 Mitch Hedberg. You absolutely have to You Tube this guy , classic comic . He opened Letterman show with his joke . ' I have to think of these jokes and when I do I write them down and sometimes in my hotel room I think of something and if the pen is too far away I have to convince myself 'It's not that funny ". Laziness is an underrated virtue .
Is Mind wandering a weakness ? Or is it a strength? Flip a coin? This game is no coin flip considering the weak Cal Prep line . Is Cal Prep a good name for a meal plan company that sends food to your house each week ? I say it is. I lived in the San Diego area for a few years and when I think of Cal Prep food service I envision cheap fresh asparagus{ Dollar a pound } , incredible Mexican food , fresh fruit and amazing guacamole to name just name a few things. BEST BET ? If I could bet Cal preps the food delivery service using this line ? I would be eating really well for months .

Westy C - 34 W-Hall 9

Dublin Jerome - 17 vs. Central Crossing - Country Clubbers are rebuilding this year but they are real excited about their Soph Frosh 8th and 7th grade classes and I hear there are incredible athletes at Deer Run elementary that are chomping at the bit to play for the Celts. What does that phrase mean ? Where did it come from ? Chomping ? at a bit? Not sure . What I do know is CC has some tough athletes that aren't as organized as they were circa 2013 - 2016? Anyway they have some match-ups they can possibly exploit to score some points here . Getting 17 says to me that if they can get two Td's ? They have a great chance to cover that 2 Td and FG head start.

Lowe will be the best skill kid on the field and he attends CC . Miller has a nice arm and is a good athlete at QB for the Country Clubbers { I was going to use the CC'S but that would be confusing seeing as though they are playing CC } Jerome waiting patiently waiting until their four loaded classes I succession get some hair on their chests and they become the king of Dub Town . This year they take some lumps . CC wont beat them but they will be tested .

DJ 23 CC 14

Week 1 cont.

Missed the St Ed's -Mentor game as I forgot it was on Thursday , so I will quickly add four more games for a total of 10 in what is always a difficult week one to predict. Using the Cal preps line of course as Louie P isn't back until week 4?

New Albany - 11 vs. Westy South Ibbies - IB'S lost some good players but is rising a bit as a program developing more consistency and continuity. New Albany now a small D-1 school throttled this club last season as the Ibbies made a ton of mistakes. In fact talent wise WS was pretty good last year and lost a huge lead vs Regional winner Liberty. NA is a solid program that isn't flashy and doesn't have the top end talent lately . They will make fewer mistakes most likley but I have a feeling WS is getting better and more consistent and NA probably wins here but WS keeps it interesting.

NA 27 WS 19

Hilliard Darby - 1 vs. Olentangy- Really tough one to call but an interesting tilt. 4th straight season they play opening night . Tangy fumbled inside the 5 late last season going in for the win vs Darby. QB is competent and has some experience, and some tall rangy receivers to throw to. Solis knows how to build a program but his building process was derailed a bit with the school split when Berlin opened . Depth is a problem as they are now D-2 with less numbers and they will have kids playing two ways. Darby will as well but probably less guys. Darby will grind and try to control the ball and kill clock to keep Tangy's multiple set a lot of motion and tricks pain in offense off the field. Jones will get the rock early and often . Tangy I hear is more committed to defense this year after not being able to hold leads late. Had Winton Woods on the ropes and almost out of the ring before they got Myiand to death { Williams} . Lead Coffman 16-0 before not being able to get stops and lost 23-16 . This is a coin flip to me. But the flip comes up

Darby 23 Tangy 20

R-Burg - 15 vs. Upper Arlington- last years game was tight . Mershawn Rice was the difference . He is at Purdue now ? UA has new coach Scally who was at Davidson. They have two Senior backs who are solid sturdy and capable. He will run the ball more than UA has lately but throw more than Davidson{ Who doesn't do that?} . The Burg like Coffman had a frustrating evening vs Liberty in the play-offs . This game will be one where UA will try to be efficient and shorten the game and guard against the big play . Another really good line especially in week one . Tough call.

R-Burg 24 UA 13

Colerain - 23 at Wayne- line is heavy, Wayne and Colerain enter their seasons with new coaches and a new era starting. Colerain will play good defense but their offense is rebuilding and struggled a bit in scrimmages. 23 is a sheet load of points. Wayne gave up a lot of points last year , but could score a lot too. Wayne at home getting more than three td's ? When was the last time we saw this?

Colerain doesn't have the offense to cover this line I believe and Wayne may be able to score enough to stay somewhat close?

Colerain 24 Wayne 13

Coffman has an interesting match-up and road tests in week one are always a bit tougher than other weeks. Key is as I have said being hard to play. Make them earn everything. I think there is a chance they can keep Northmont one dimensional and make them pass . Threats is a very important player on both sides of the ball . He can lock people down in coverage and sets the edge really well on runs and covers the flat really well and comes up so fast. Kirk is a force at Safety and I see these two making things happen and leading the defense. The key to them making plays in this team game is solid play up front that limits the run and the time the QB has to throw.

Competitors love going on the road making plays and silencing crowds. Always fun to go somewhere new and show your stuff. It should be FUN . Fast physical disciplined defense and the offense grinds a bit and takes some shots and makes some plays. Vets lead the new guys and give the confidence and things will take care of themselves .

Good luck and good health to all and I hope the kids get the type of crowd for a opening night they will remember . Kids work really hard and football is really hard and support is something the kids deserve . Beautiful night , get to a game near you. Go Rocks

Tangy should lay the wood to Darby tonight, Darby has been undersized and getting destroyed by Tangy in the JV/Frosh games going back a few years now. Last year's Tangy team was finesse-based, this years team is size and brawn. Tangy will not stack up nearly as well with programs that have exceptional athletes, but Darby is definitely not that.

Regardless of the outcome, I still feel incredibly bad for Darby parents and fans who have to watch their miserably boring approach to football week in and week out.

Opening night is in the books and as usual there were some surprises along with some business as usual results . A good start for me going against the Cal Preps line going 7-3 which for week one is more than acceptable . A few blowout losses vs. the line a few spot on predictions and a few wins vs. spread but didn't come close with score predictions . I am a handicapper though and it doesn't matter if you cover by a half point or 37 , they don't give you any more dough in blowout wins or make you pay double with a bad not close prediction .

Random off the top thoughts after seeing some taped action and highlight shows , local highlights and game accounts .

Coffman offense needs work when not playing with Drennan which they have all pre-season including 7 on 7 and all scrimmages. I won't count on him until in see him out there and truth be told they can win without him the next few weeks if he chooses to sit longer.

He was the MVP of the team last year and he not only makes plays but opens things up for others , hopefully he gets over the nagging injury bug. That game last night would have bene more comfortable with him out there no question about it. As it was the game was never in any danger of the Rocks losing . The reason for that was the defense. They did give up a 93 yard slant Touchdown up 17-0 with about 7 minutes left ruining the shutout . With N-Mont having the ball at the 7 down 17-0 I figured the Rocks may be get the short field or their third interception and win 24-0 or at least 20-0 . 17-7 was the final . I did figure this game right even thinking the Bolts would score on a big play but a 93 yard to the house play? YIKES . Rocks have 4 legit D-1 kids all Juniors on defense as Hammond Russel at DE is just scratching the surface and was a monster last night. Rocks lost their other bookend DE Bramonte who moved to Florida . DB Cam Kirk also sat and they NEED him at corner eventually as he can play in college as well . { Air Force Academy ?}

Lots of work to do . Gahanna is up next and they had a brutal match-up last night as they simply aren't big enough up front when playing an Elder O-Line that is road graders with good feet and talent. They will show much better against the Rocks next week and Coffman needs too get better on offense. Also a potential problem I saw in the pre-season was with the punt team and protection . They need to clan this up .

Best bet Westy Central eviscerated Whitehall who apparently played like a one hit wonder as they resembled nothing like the team they were last year . WC is legit as I have maintained and I feel they make the R-3 play-offs and won't be an easy out . QB is very good and a D-1 id in my opinion and he has some weapons . WC Head Coach claims this is the deepest team he has had and WC had had in a while and I agree with that thought.

The three games I lost on the Cal Preps line were blowout losses and all were surprising to me obviously . Pick North -Liberty game I watched a bit on tape this morning as back-round noise { Spectrum } and a lackluster first half turned into a Liberty blowout as they just gashed North embarrassing their defense. Liberty hadn't scored the last two years vs. this club but just did whatever they wanted to in the second half . Coffman did the same thing last year to them after being down at the half . PN scored two late Td's then to make it appear closer throwing some jump balls up and coming down with them . Last night they got a fumble and a short field and scored to make it a two score game .

The musical chairs QB dynamic that North has employed the last few years { Guys leave as if on loan to another program so they can start and they come back, last year Lowery was fully eligible, this year Thomas was not going to be for the whole year so he left for Florida?} MESS . Other QB is OK, not bad but the team was using a QB they didn't think they would be playing with. We have seen this new transfer rule bit some folks , such as the PC basketball team last year with two starter ineligible for the Tournament . I get that kids want to play and be able to just waltz back to the school they left but this is getting a bit much with kids thinking they can appeal and win . Thomas was on his third HS. North lacks depth and it showed as Liberty whose strength is depth just wore the down .

Sawyer was a beast in the first half , dominant . Second half? Not so much as he was playing a lot of snaps both ways especially when the Panthers got behind in the second half when they couldn't stop anything the Patriots were doing. Once again PN overrated? They get Northmont at home next week and I see them winning comfortably as Coffman really got after them on defense with DE Russell leading the way and Sawyer plays where Russell does? YIKES . Desperation , weapons and second week improvement playing at home will send Northmont back to Clayton 0-2 .

Jerome crushed Central Crossing and that was not what I saw coming. CC as I said is less organized than they were in their play-off years but from what I heard it was worse than that. Embarrassing . Jerome is a solid program, but they aren't a margin team against teams with some material. Miller is a good QB and the average players are well coached and do their job but this margin is hard to figure. Is CC that bad or is Jerome better than thought? As is often the case , it's probably a bit of both . CC just had a horrible night and Jerome played well and took full advantage of it.

Very interesting match-up next week with DeSales who has some promise { Only 12 Seniors} and play today. Rocks have the Country Clubbers coming to Coffman stadium in week three.

Bradley got destroyed and I wrongly figured they were kind of a quasi re-load program possibly and while I thought they would lose I didn't see their defense being treated like they were merely a speed bump by Springfield who did show this type of explosiveness in the pre-season. They gave up 325 yards in the first half alone and 560 in total. S-Field RB Tolliver carried the ball six times for 154 yards !1 WR Stephens caught 6 balls also for 154 yards himself . Bradley QB Mirgon threw it 21 times completing 10 for a mere 67 yards . A smidge over 3 yards an attempt is not going to get it done.

Nailed a few games including Coffman. Darby's depth proved too much or was it Olentangy's lack of it ? I thought Tangy who was greatly affected by the Berlin opening would have too many guys playing both ways and that fact sowed as Darby rolled in the second half. Darby with a big one on deck with Davidson at first glance looks like the best team in Hilliard this year . Very early and this could be an overreaction but I think the Panthers win next week vs. the Cats and then Bradley is on deck .

UA hung in with a more talented athletic club in R-Burg , but ran out of gas eventually . Just a case of the Raiders making a few more plays and having a few more horses. UA has a nice Soph. class and I think this coach was a good hire. They get Dayton Belmont next week but after that? More explosive athletes with Winton Woods and Miyan Williams et al in week 3 and a scary West South Ibbies team who also has some athletes as usual and are now more disciplined and less mistake prone?

Wayne I figured at home especially would hang in with Colerain and lose by less than 23 which they comfortably did. that line and the WC line I thought were bad along with the DAVIDSON 48-0 spread by Cal Preps . Colerain still a tough out and excellent program and Wayne is still Wayne albeit not at the same level they had been. Not as good up front and the coaching situation is in flux. Culture is slipping a bit possibly and the overall level of play is less. They go to Liberty next week and the Patriots have some confidence , playing a lot better on offense in the second half that anyone could have imagined but they are a strength in numbers program and clone like with players looking and giving them the same things year to year. Defensively it is hard to imagine a better coached unit than they are. They don't have a number of D-1 caliber defenders like some folks have { PC , Coffman to name two} but what they lack in explosive athletic defenders they make up for in being in the right place all the time , being well coached with a very sound scheme and approach and coachable kids who trust the coaches . Wayne will have it's hands full.

Davidson as expected won the game comfortably and not surprisingly shut hapless Grove City down and out. Cats are going to have trouble as I have said before and the trend has been when rebuilding on offense rela trouble moving it against good defenses and they face a much bigger test next week and I can't see them coring more than 10 vs. Darby unless it's special teams or defensive Td's and or turnover fueled short fields. GC has WC up next. ouch. Davidson has a brutal stretch coming. Darby next week , Bradley in week three . They will have to win one of those if they want to make the play-offs . Liberty comes to Hillard in week 4 and they go to Pick C in week 5 . I don't think they can beat either of those teams . To me 6-4 is the absolute ceiling and 5-5 is more likely.

On to week two and for the Rocks on to Gahanna .

Last edited:
Tangy should lay the wood to Darby tonight, Darby has been undersized and getting destroyed by Tangy in the JV/Frosh games going back a few years now. Last year's Tangy team was finesse-based, this years team is size and brawn. Tangy will not stack up nearly as well with programs that have exceptional athletes, but Darby is definitely not that.

Regardless of the outcome, I still feel incredibly bad for Darby parents and fans who have to watch their miserably boring approach to football week in and week out.
I guess the game didn't turn out the way you expected with Darby winning 23 to 12. Darby played ball control completing a over 9 minute scoring drive to start the second half and kept Tangy's offense off the field for much of the game. Another key to the game was Tangy not converting on fourth down in their own territory which lead to another Darby score. Tangy's head coach is a d!@!@ but he was right on one thing after the game in that his team played selfish and uncaring.

Kramerica is a Tangy insider { His school is now Berlin I believe} and I thought the game would be closer than it was with Darby winning but depth is a real problem and at some point if you are playing 7-8 kids both ways for periods of time vs a team that isn't ? The dam breaks . We saw it with this game and Pick North . Less numbers of kids are playing now. Pick North I believe didn't have enough for a frosh team recently? Olentangy with the school split? Coffman has a few kids walking around the building not playing for whatever reason. Depth is an issue for many teams. Pickerington Central it seems has no such problem and will likely have good players who never start of not until Senior year. Loaded classes I am told over there .

I'm curious what do you mean by " selfish and uncaring" play?

Kramerica is a Tangy insider { His school is now Berlin I believe} and I thought the game would be closer than it was with Darby winning but depth is a real problem and at some point if you are playing 7-8 kids both ways for periods of time vs a team that isn't ? The dam breaks . We saw it with this game and Pick North . Less numbers of kids are playing now. Pick North I believe didn't have enough for a frosh team recently? Olentangy with the school split? Coffman has a few kids walking around the building not playing for whatever reason. Depth is an issue for many teams. Pickerington Central it seems has no such problem and will likely have good players who never start of not until Senior year. Loaded classes I am told over there .

I'm curious what do you mean by " selfish and uncaring" play?
It was something I overheard said post game. It did seem just by body language from the players that they weren't to broken up by losing a game to a team that they should've beaten so I can sort of see why some of the coaches were not too happy with the players.

I haven't heard what happened at the Darby game yet, so hard to comment on it. I'm no "insider", but I there is plenty of talk up here between the 2 schools as these kids all grew up together. After I saw the score it did occur to me that many of the kids responsible for the beatings Darby took at the Frosh/JV levels 2 and 3 years ago were the result of kids now at Berlin (or no longer playing), and HC is 100% correct about the depth problem with the 4 HS now.

The good news is that the Darby win means more points for Berlin when they beat them later this year. Berlin has a TON of injury problems right now, but if they get healthy they will win this game.

And either way, much last last season, I still predict that Tangy will be better than Darby by playoff time (as they were last year) and if Darby should happen to stumble into the playoffs they can look forward to another 3TD margin thrashing as their miserable program plays hopeless football that has zero chance of true success. For some reason they've had Tangy's kryptonite in game 1 of the season the past 2 years, but Solis will have his players coached up when it counts.

Nice win by Coffman, and a smart game to schedule, they will reap playoff points from this game as the season goes on for sure.

Not sure how many Northmont will win . they go to Pick North this week then Fairmount Springfield, Trotwood { Appear a bit down this year} Springboro and finish with Wayne . I think they win a few of those but not sure really how many they win . Pretty good team .

Coffman has become mostly not noticed by many a more plodding more run heavy program . Numbers don't lie the last 4 years . More run oriented . Many 13- 17 attempt games the last few years. I played in a wing T system that was more open and included 12 - 15 passes a game . We had two QB'S that could throw and our 4-5 Back stable included kids who could catch the ball out of the backfield so we threw it a bit more, but were more run based .

Coffman plays good defense and is content to pound the ball and punt it more often now it seems. Drennan will open up the offense when he comes back I would assume not knowing when he will play but look for more of the same if he doesn't suit up this week either . Elder pounded the rock with a HUGE O-LINE , Rocks do not have that this year so Gahanna will be more confident concentrating more on the run .

The idea that Coffman is soft and just throws it around is now a myth , simply not true at all . I like a balanced multiple offense and if the run is what they do better so be it , be a 70-30 run pass team . QB can run a bit as well, but the creativity in terms of getting the ball into kids hands in good spots seems to be lacking . When I watch the last few years I often think they are saving some of this creativity for later in the season and it never really comes. Liberty which has shown especially in the play-offs can scheme with the best of them and their kids are coachable and smart , but Coffman offensive staff was overmatched that night , BADLY .

May be this is what it is and if more receiver types over the next couple years think they are great basketball players and quit other sports this trend will continue . I do know they have a very good arm talent arm with Soph. Maggs , but will he have anyone to throw to ? Of course this edition does have the weapons outside so hopefully with more reps the passing game will flourish more . If this is what it is though you better get better at punt protection and punting the ball . A little spoiled with Stoneburner for three years and Joey Mitchell , but if the conservative offense is going to be employed and punts will be frequent?

College coaches love multiple sport athletes, football makes you a better athlete , stronger and tougher. Yes playing lacrosse is more fun , hoops , baseball , easier on the body not as intense , you don't get hit as hard . I get it, I didn't always like football practice and I had more bruises that few months than hockey or certainly baseball. More acceptable to not play now , I get it . I do remember say 5-6 years ago there seemed to be more players miss games with concussions on my daughters club and High school soccer teams than there on the Coffman varsity football team .

Footbal offers MANY more opportunity's for college attention to the above average athlete and above average sized kid . Basketball bigs sometimes play football for a few years then quit after 8th grade or after Frosh year to ' Concentrate" on hoops because they think they will fall behind others who play in fall leagues to get ready for HS season. These kids often were never football players to begin with. I see big kids who would be great candidates to play college football and get money for doing so if they played football and worked at it. Long armed 6-3 - 6-6 athletic kids who quit and play hoops often never get real attention from college programs or schools they want to go to { West Virginia Weslyan , Iowa Central Tech ? Wheeling Jesuit? really ? you want to go there ?} . Football numbers wise offers much more opportunity . 5-11 to 6-2 kids or even bigger with real athletic skill to play corner safety or receiver? Tight End for the bulkier kids?

OT Gellerstadt who got his degree paid for at Penn State and was the starter at UVA as a grad transfer before getting injured was a 6-6 Big HS hoops player who stuck with football and will have zero College debt. Everyone doesn't have his ability but if he quit and just played hoops? D-2 at best .

Hammond Russell was 6-3 about 200 pounds last year plays hoops , stuck with football even though he was a former QB,, worked to get to 235 pounds and worked on his skills and now is a bonafide D-1 prospect at DE. Kids like him are now in increasing numbers just quitting football Some kids say I'll quit for a few years trying to get really good at hoops or another sport and may become back ? Rarely works out as you probably haven't gotten much stronger or at least football type strong and haven't gotten any reps or development opportunity's and aren't as football tough from not being hit for a couple years . Hoops players all think they have a future in hoops and it's much more fun isn't it ? I have a theory as to why they think they are better than they are and it has to do with coverage of them I believe. Coverage and exposure is great but I think it has more kids thinking they are just a few months of basketball only work away from being something special . Fall leagues beckon and more nice write-ups makes you feel pretty good I am sure , but quitting a sport you could be better at and have more opportunity's in ?

Football isn't for everyone of course and it is a lot of work for not as many games as travel baseball or lacrosse or AAU basketball offers . Not as much notice and positive reinforcement . But you just see so many kids giving up real opportunity's in a sport with many more openings for college spots numbers wise , a really easy math equation , to pursue other things that may be easier but there just isn't the same opportunity's .

Week two is upon us already and there are some interesting games this week in Central Ohio and statewide as well with heavyweights Ignatius and Mentor going at it , and also Colerain vs. St X . Both have been annual battles and have major play-off and seeding implications.

Other interesting match-ups I will probalby handicap include

Northmont at Pickerington North as both squads need a win after losing to good teams last week.

Delaware at Marysville - Both easily handled their opponents who were overmatched. Buckeye Valley for DH and a young Northland team for the Monarchs.

DeSales at Jerome - - Both have some youth and got some wins last week. Jerome pounded Central Crossing which while the win wasn't surprising the margin was. DeSales beat Dayton Carroll as they transition to a spread team and they have some nice weapons and an accurate QB.

Davidson at Darby - Always a war , low scoring , fast moving and this is a game that will show just where an inexperienced Davidson offense is at the moment and Darby off of a big win vs. Olentangy where they wore down the Braves . First team to 13 ? or is it 10? Teams COMBINED for two pass attempts last week.

Wayne at Liberty - Both teams off of games vs quality opponents . Wayne played Colerain tough and had their chances to get over the hump but went down . Liberty played a lights out second half as North kind of wore down and gave up big chunk plays in the run game and the short passing game . Wayne needs the win more but has to travel and the Patriots seem to be very confident and have a lot of depth and their coaching staff is excellent. Wayne coaching staff in transition.

Bradley at Olentangy Orange - Jags suffered and ego bruise vs. a talented explosive Springfield and needs this win badly. Orange started out with a win but Kilbourne was a bit overmatched so the margin not that impressive.

Scioto at New Albany- last year i took Scioto at home and got burned as New Albany just out executed the Irish. Bad blow for the Irish was playmaker Tobias Thomas moving to Florida at the last minute . Lost to St Chucks , NA got humbled by thevery fast and athletic Westy South Ibbies . Neither teams can afford to go to 0-2 .

Marion Local at Watterson - D-7 ML is legendary , so consistent but are said to have lost a lot . ML won't be as big as Lancaster was who Watty did a very nice job against getting the early lead and holding on but ML execution may be more of a challenge.

Gahanna at Coffman -Somewhat deceiving 41-6 score vs Elder , but just a bad match-up for the Lions defensively . Offense put up some interesting numbers though. Big plays and Elder's huge talented O-Line was too much. Rocks aren't nearly as big or experienced as Elder O-line though. Drennan back ? I hope so .

Be getting more in depth with these games and will use the Cal Preps line .

Last edited:
Week 2 is basically here as the teams finalize game plans to walk through tomorrow . Week 2 improvement or not so much week can do two things . They can ease doubts a bit and they can clarify weaknesses that have to be dealt with going forward. Gahanna comes to Coffman in the fourth installment of this recent 4 game set . Rocks have won twice in Gahanna losing at home in 2017 in a great 4th quarter finish. with a late clutch throw in the back of the end zone by Mike Lowery who the Rocks got revenge on the next year when he was back at Pickerington North. Coffman had won the two in Gahanna in more comfortable fashion.

Opening games can be tricky and the Rocks were playing without their x factor{ among Other } and last years MVP Mike Drennan whose contributions can't be duplicated really struggled on offense at times , well most of the time really. First year QB some first year O-Lineman and the usual mistakes of week one made the effort a bit sloppy and the execution spotty at best. Third down conversion rate was unacceptable{ atrocious} and something that will need to be looked at . Drennan obviously improves this immediately when he gets on the field .{ ??} .

Defense was lights out at times and really only had one truly bad moment when the game was in hand when up 17-0 they gave up a short slant that went 93 yards for the TD , { Poor angle flat footed } albeit to a state level sprinter . Kicker Magyar gave a sample of his promise as he nailed a 39 yard field goal to seal the deal which was promptly followed by the sleep walking 93 yard quick throw and long sprint into the end zone from 234 yards out.

Crabtree era has seen a 16-3 mark on opening night. 2004 the year Jerome opened the Rocks lost to Troy 19-15 . The next year they got revenge by blasting them 42-14. The very next year in 2006 they again lost to Troy on opening night this time 16-13. The outstanding 2007 team got payback with a 56-14 evisceration.

They won their next 9 before succumbing to Danny Davis and Springfield 22-20 in a two day affair { Lightening} in Spring field with the Rocks leading most of the way . Brutal loss . Rocks had handled them 41-7 the year before at Coffman stadium to open the season led by a gaudy QB performance by Buckeye back-up Gunnar Hoak.

This game was a grinder and Lyle Lovett pretty{ Not} , but a win on the road against a quality opponent is what it is , which is a nice win and you move on to week two hoping to show better and get the home crowd going.

Rocks had some of their best players miss action last year for chunks of time and managed to go 9-1 but it wasn't easy as some games were down to the wire. Lets hope the health improves and they can get their core out there together.

If you just glance at the score of the Gahanna -Elder game you would likely surmise it was a total beatdown. Well 41-6 is lopsided obviously but the beatdown wasn't on both sides of the football if you look deeper. Yes Elder with their powerful and big and talented O-Line did open up some alleyways that produced loooooonggggg Touchdown runs that shows where much of Elders 489 yards of offense came . Big plays killed the Lions who have a couple good sized kids up front but are young at Linebacker and their best guy at LB is ALSO thier lead running back who has to play both ways. Secondary is a bit inexperienced as well.

Offensively the Lions impressed some folks in scrimmages and that promise showed in this game as well . They gained just under 300 yards and their best players had some success gaining yardage . 294 yards should produce more than 6 points . RB/LB Whitaker gained 154 yards on 16 carries which is just under 10 yards a pop . QB Thomas was a respectable 13 for 19 for 126 yards. Lions had more first downs and the time of possession edge which shows just how badly they were hurt by the big play.

Game was 7-6 early on. Elder is better than Gahanna and they aren't a good match-up for them personnel wise when Elder had the ball especially early on when the young LB'S and Secondary were shell shocked a bit. Offensively though the Lions weren't overmatched by Elder and the Rocks really need to be focused and bring their best here .

Home opener on a beautiful night { 72 and pleasant at game time} should bring some fans hopefully and the kids should be fired up to show their stuff . Defense continue to play fast and run to the ball and make plays. Two interceptions to start the season is a great sign as one of the goals I saw as achievable was increased turnovers and they are off to a good start . When DB's are fully healthy as a unit I think they can be really good .

First time starters should be a little more comfortable out there and being at home will make it a bit easier. Big shout out to Hammond Russell who I opined ;last year had the potential to be a real player and difference maker at D-End with some work in the off-season and more experience. Well Hamond has done the work obviously as he is physically improved { 30 pounds of muscle} and his game will only get better with more reps at this position as he was a QB at younger levels.

Frame , speed , athletic ability and the work ethic as evidenced by his improvements will make him a hot commodity as college decision makers start to notice him . Eyes were opened at the Pick Central -Centerville scrimmage three-way. His opening night performance was outstanding and difference making. I think a big key is getting the level of play up on both edges as Bramonte's ill timed move to Florida was unfortunate but there are a few guys who can add speed to the other side to make life tough on opponents passers.

Week 2

Gahanna at Coffman Cal Prep line DC - 21

Line a bit heavy and again I ill assume Drennan impact will be non existent { He sits again} or minimal , if it's not I still think 21 may be heavy. Rocks improve a bit offensively , defense makes it tough at times but like Elder may give up some yards , hopefully not a 93 yard TD again, but grinds and proves difficult to play against which is always the goal. Use a bit more of the play-book , finish blocks keep feet moving and give QB time and there will be opportunity's for big plays . Drennan or no Drennan. Rocks have a bit too much , but aren't mammoth on the O-line like Elder and aren't likely to produce multiple long TD plays so the margin won't approach that . Margin's don't much matter , wins do and I see the Rocks getting their second one of the season here. Defense sets up offense a couple times and may be scores themselves ? 21 is too steep .

Coffman 27 Gahanna 13-

Last edited:
Week 2 cont.

Sir Francois DeSales Italian Stallions at Dublin Muirfield Home Grown Country Clubbers - CP Line DJ Union County - 6

The home groaners , err Growners were mighty impressive last week as they ran down Central Crossing's throat racking up 234 yards on 35 attempts. Their defense was equally impressive as they allowed nothing at all on the ground and only 83 total yards . I am familiar with the Central Crossing program and I didn't see this type of margin { 30 points} . Jerome wasn't perfect mind you as their passing game was MEH with two interceptions and a paltry 3.8 yards per attempt { 10-20 for 77 yards} Miller is a solid QB but this wasn't his show . Booth was , the RB tore it up as the Country Clubbers gashed the CC defense which was inexperienced at LB and it showed after losing a couple 3-4 year stalwarts.

I have seen DeSales up close the last few years in scrimmages against Coffman. This year they played well and with passion vs DC and were the better less mistake prone team . Now if both teams played all their guys in a real game and the Rocks were to go over there for a 7.00 pm Friday night kick off would DeSales win ? No way . But they were an efficient passing club who has foregone the run game mostly at this point but were fairly athletic and their QB Godfrey who got hurt mid season last year is solid, accurate and a good competitor. The CC's will have more of as test this week defending the pass for sure . SFDIS did some nice things through the air against Dayton Carroll which they should be able to do , but there was some bad news here. They gave up big yards in the pass game, were outgained and out first downed and may be outplayed but Carroll had 4 turnovers to SFDIS's 2 . Italian Stallions won by a TD. Nice win on the road { Neutral site at Wayne but aa longer travel obviously } .

This is an interesting match-up for sure but not one I would wager real money on to be frank, but I look at the most interesting games to me and probably others and take a stab with the info I have. In this case I am going with the Home growners to get the victory over a good but somewhat young DeSales team in a good tough competitive game

Dub Muirfield Union County Campus 24 SFDIS 19 - Italian Stallions get the one point cover .

Week 2

Gahanna at Coffman Cal Prep line DC - 21

Line a bit heavy and again I ill assume Drennan impact will be non existent { He sits again} or minimal , if it's not I still think 21 may be heavy. Rocks improve a bit offensively , defense makes it tough at times but like Elder may give up some yards , hopefully not a 93 yard TD again, but grinds and proves difficult to play against which is always the goal. Use a bit more of the play-book , finish blocks keep feet moving and give QB time and there will be opportunity's for big plays . Drennan or no Drennan. Rocks have a bit too much , but aren't mammoth on the O-line like Elder and aren't likely to produce multiple long TD plays so the margin won't approach that . Margin's don't much matter , wins do and I see the Rocks getting their second one of the season here. Defense sets up offense a couple times and may be scores themselves ? 21 is too steep .

Coffman 27 Gahanna 13-
Have the boys soften them up for us. We got the Lions at home next week. Pound 'em hard and run some old school buck sweeps for our game film.

Have the boys soften them up for us. We got the Lions at home next week. Pound 'em hard and run some old school buck sweeps for our game film.

God Love Ward, you gotta give props for the schedule those guys play don't you? Elder with a college sized O-line, Coffman then you guys who I think can get another state title if health and things break right? Looking at Elder film I believe the Rocks will run the ball a lot , but I hope for at least 100 yards through the air this week . QB is a good athlete, just needs reps in the pass game and the O-line with some new kids needs to improve . Rocks have shown some double tight sets which I have called for , well for years now , . Gahanna QB Thomas is an athlete who is getting better at QB and Whitaker{ 185 pounds } is an old school two way player, not Justus Harris good running the ball but tough and plays defense which Harris didn't do .

Good luck this week , not sure you need any of it though . CP has it a 21 point margin , I see Hartley covering that number

Week 2 Cont.

Davidson at Darby - CP Line Davidson - 15 -

This line is wrong . Not about being a hater of Davidson or anything else , just not the right line. Davidson can win the game but giving 15 in a game that just may well produce about 17-20 points TOTAL combined points is well ? Not the right line. Darby has had some success in this series lately and has more back . Teams combined for two passes last week. I think there will be more attempted this week because I don't think Davidson can run on this years Panther defense consistently enough to not even attempt a pass. Davidson defense will be solid enough that Darby will also have to attempt the forward pass a few times themselves even if it is akin to them having their mother's make them eat their beets. { Hated beets } .

Wildcats with one returning starting O-lineman and this unit isn't exactly large. Average about 220 pounds soaking wet . That was decent sized in the early 80's may be ? Doesn't mean with their scheme that they can't be successful at some point. They have a first year QB who is built like a drop back thrower and not an option guy{ 6-3 190} . Not sure how good a runner he is but his size suggest he may be good at what I call the Davidson fall forward . QB Follow run up the butts and lean forward for 4 ? Two Sophs will be the primary mail carriers for the Cats. Both did well last week , but they weren't really playing what I would call a prime time team. Grove City has won ONE game in three years .

This is their first 'real" game at the varsity level , no disrespect to GC . Darby will see something completely different this week as Olentangy is a spread type team who uses misdirection . Davidson does none of that. Davidson should have a good defense as usual . Keys at DE is outstanding and a power five guy and they have a couple sturdy tough Line backers , a smaller playmaker on the D-Line and a tough safety in Dymek back .

They will make Darby earn everything. RB- LB- Connor Jones is legit for Darby and Stultz is a good solid QB IN THEIR SYSTEM. My thought would be to use Jones sparingly on offense to make sure he is full go at LB as i think the key is to hold the inexperienced Davidson offense down to minimal output. Kicker Carrier is the x factor as he could be the difference in a Davidson win as a couple shorter fields and Carrier's big leg banging in a couple field goals could be the recipe to victory.

Under over pass attempts? I say Darby throws 6 and Davidson 3 ? Seems high lol. Anyway

Darby 13 Davidson 10 Panthers + 15 is a BEST BET .

Hey Harry. Good observation. Not expecting alot from my guys this year at least on offense but sure White will get what he can out of them. Another thing I will throw in is that Davidson has never been known for a huge offensive line or team in general, but this years is the smallest I can remember in all the years I have followed. I even believe Keys is the biggest player on the team at 245 to 250 lbs Concerned about that. I think I have mentioned that the last few years Davidson is really having a problem on the OL. Last year they used Annis and Royer in motion to blow open holes in the running game. That will be missed.

Hey TA , I don't think people realize that I have Tremendous respect for what Davidson has done over the last 20 years , I say it all the time and readily admit they are the top CO program in that time frame , and while I probably wouldn't use that system if I coached , NO ONE can argue that it hasn't been incredibly successful. HD PC AND DC in that order of top CO programs in that time frame.

When I think of some of their vintage teams I don't see huge teams but I do see some decent sized O-lineman and some good blocking tight ends with a bit of size as well. Some size at FB and some talented backs with a bit of speed and quickness and of course toughness. The defense features a stud at LEO and while not big overall very quick instinctive and very well coached . Some under sized over-achievers { McKinley? and many others a little bigger lol ?} Great special teams and tremendous attention to detail . The people I talk to say the same thing that the system has bogged down some years because of the offensive line play.

Last years club was very good no question so this program while not as dominant year to year still puts very good teams out there . People may forget that Hicks their fastest back was out along with Annis and Keys for that regional final with PC . I would have liked to see how that game would have unfolded with those key guys in there . Annis was a tremendous player and leader three year starter , Keys is more powerful this year but he was missed big time and Hicks had that burst that the others didn't have . Good luck to the Cats, love for them to have that good record when week 8 rolls around but I have the same reservations you may have.

Week 2 cont.

Hilliard Bradley at Olentangy Orange - CP line Bradley - 14

These teams played polar opposites in their openers. Springfield with all their jaguars and lightening quick athletes and quick strike ability that has defenses back on their heels as you come out of the locker room. Kilbourne who is rebuilding with a new coach less athletic and explosive by a few beats to be kind and the results showed this disparity .

This game will be played a different speed for Bradley , like going from running laps at Indy to taking a spin on a go cart at your average tourist destination . Loved the go carts the mini bike rides when a bit older , mini golf? Batting cages? Powdered dough ? Cotton candy ? Skee ball ? Pac man ? Donkey Kong ? OK enough salt water taffy memory's . Anyway the Jags and many teams who suffered ego bruises have a tendency to want to kick sand in the weaker chap after being embarrassed.

Orange is a good program , not some weakling to be the likely recipient of a mouthful of sand from anyone but circumstances and styles make fights or so said a wise old sage I lived near in Vegas some years ago. Bradley has an established program now and like I said were probably the better team when they faced and lost to PC in the play-offs last year . That was then , this is now though. Different team . Still have some elements and some good players but a lot of new guys as well . This line is to be commended , it is pretty good as opposed to some .

Orange let Kilbourne run 71 plays last week , gave up only 260 yards but 18 first downs and gave up a 42 percent third down conversation rate. Kilbourne was a -2 turnovers in the 16-6 loss . The difference that i see was Orange was able to gash WK with big plays in the run game going against an undersized WK team and that enabled them to throw the ball for 187 yards as well. Teams combined for 670 yards . 22 point output with that much acreage ? Yikes . Van De Velde finished the 1999 British Open in better fashion than these teams finished drives in this one { Look it up always will remember it because I lived in Vegas and my daughter was born that September and is starting her third year in college } . that's a lot of yardage for a paucity of points .

OK after meandering a bit there is no question that I am sticking with my original first thought . Bradley cruises .

HB 34 OO 13

Week 2 Final

I''ll add 4 games that are pretty Interesting that will make it 8 for this week . 7-3 against the line last week is a good showing for week one especially .

Pressed for time so quick synposis.

Northmont at Pick North - CP Line Northmont - 10

Bad line, not that NM is bad or Pick North is great , but wrong team favored here I think and 10 is a bad line. Traveling east to take on a team that is smarting from a bad second half vs Liberty giving up a bunch of points and big chunk plays . Northmont is solid in some areas , they play hard and have a couple playmakers but I see them having a tough time here handling Sawyer and I think they will also have a tough chore vs the pass. Pick North with the definite cover and likELY WIN.

PN 27 Northmont 13

In a game I wrote up here but it has disappeared for some reason{ Wink WINK Hurt feelings?? } I'll repeat the score predicition

Delaware at Marysville in Hilliard CP LINE M-ville - 7

Delaware 24 M-Ville 20

Wayne at Olentangy Liberty - CP line Wayne - 11

Wayne up against it early with a loss here. Played a tough game vs Colerain , never quit and were in it most of the way . Liberty may have played a bit over their heads in the second half and made some huge plays but they are well coached disciplined and have a few good ballplayers. Wayne needs the win badly and handled the Patriots but this is a different Wayne team and OL is a more confident program now.

Laying 11 on the road in Powell is a bit steep for me should be a good one.

Wayne 24 Liberty 17 Cover for Pats and win for Wayne?

St. Xavier at Colerain CP Line Colerain - 10

This line is a bit high and I don t think there will be a ton of scoring here so grabbing the 10 is obvious . Colerain offense is a work in progress and their defense is still very solid . ST X I have heard is very solid. as they are more than not obviously . I see it a go either way 3-4 point game and X just may get the outright win. In a hard hitting struggle I see this one going down to the wire .

ST X 17 Colerain 14 .

Good luck and good health to all and get out of the house and get to your local game.

Last edited:
Week two in the books and some surprises to be sure and some blood shed from the CP Line that seemed more like week 1 uncertainty and surprises but it's still early and teams are still working out kinks obviously and not quite sure who they are yet.

Quick thoughts on some of the games I looked at and other observations with Coffman thoughts to come later.

Davidson just looking at the score would be a huge surprise but it wasn't really as it turns out. Not that they are really good but rather the 30 points in this particular game and series is eye opening. Well both teams had 200 yards and small change and Darby was up 14-6 going into the 4th quarter which wasn't surprising and pretty much how I thought the game would go as I had Darby by 3 points . . Davidson turned the ball over twice and Darby was playing cleaner . Then they weren't . BIG TIME . The punt game literally destroyed the Panthers and lost the game for Darby.

Blocked punt and only having to go a few yards to score was followed by another punting gaffe with a poor snap resulting in a 8 yard punt? Short field again another TD. Now the Darby mistakes were a big story may be the biggest but Davidson has found a running back in Soph. Leo Nixon who I opined about in the off-season as being one to watch . He ran for 154 yards on 28 touches. Darby isn't a team that is god coming back by style and they were dead in the water. Davidson got another two points when yet another bad snap resulting in a safety topping the score off at 30-14 which if you missed the 4th quarter and just watched the first three would have been unbelievable. From a point spread perspective ? bad beat doesn't encapsulate it. Getting 11 up 8 with one quarter to go against a team that had scored 6 points in the first three quarters ? Davidson style offense ? Turnovers short fields can't snap the ball on punts = a LOSS which looked like if you used that model that calculates odds of not covering that was at about 1 percent . OUCH .

OCC Central looking better than expected at this point no question . Westland blowing out Licking Heights in week one then losing by three to Marion Franklin missing a game tying field goal at the end of the game . Props to coach Rios who is turning the culture around down there and the improvement is evident . Speaking of being better than I thought ?

Marysville who I thought might lose a close one to Delaware last night after winning 3 of the previous four vs. the Monarchs ,but Coach Johnson has them playing very physical up front and they rolled led by Kilgore's 232 yards and 353 total yards. Delaware had more guys back and won a close one last year . Regressed a bit? Apparently. I was told M-Ville didn't look all that hot in scrimmages . Well they often don't tell the real story but Delaware doesn't exactly have it rolling yet.

UA took care of business as they await a trip to powerful Winton Woods followed with a date with the Westy South Ibbies who are 2-0 and kind of scary athletically speaking. That will be a must win for the Bears for sure because they aren't going to Winton Woods and winning .

Central Crossing improved to 1-1 after beating Beechcroft by 10 . No shame apparently in getting blown out by the Celts of Jerome Village at Muirfield . Ask DeSales . Grove City next so the Comets can add some more potential Harbins for their OCC C Brothers .

Speaking of the boys from the tony part of town. The Jerome Country Clubbers are making a name for themselves . They turned a one score game into a laugher in a Muirfield minute . A tipped pass a pick six , followed by another pick and a 4 yard drive to put it away. Booth is really producing as the Celts have 79 points in two game as they prepare to wend their way down Brand towards Coffman stadium next week in a very interesting if not surprisingly so match-up. Nice crowd from the Rocks faithful on opening night , I expect a bigger one next week. Big keys to this margin included the aforementioned Booth who whose own coach has joked could pass for a 7th grade player , but the 4 DeSales turnovers , the Celtics ran 20 more plays and were a solid 8 of 15 on third downs and held DeSales to a terrible 0- 7 on third down. The Country clubbers were even great when punting. 3 punts for just a smidge under 50 yards a kick? 333- 241 yardage advantage.

Bradley scoring only 14 vs Orange shows they are in rebuild mode and I expect them to lose again next week to Davidson and have trouble scoring again . Bad call as I expected them to be better than this obviously . orange was MEH vs an overmatched Kilbourne team with a new coach , and they beat Bradley the next week holding them to 14 ? They didn't score until the 4th quarter . They did have a 341 to 280 yardage advantage but were 4-13 on third downs and 1-3 on 4th down. Could be a long year for the school that is in the middle of nowhere hiding in plain site lol. They could be 0-4 heading to league play in what poster Kramerica Industries calls the OCC Ragu . this is their last season in the RAGU . Being out of the play-off picture before playing a league game isn't where the Jags have lived lately. They are about 10 minutes removed from going toe to toe and actually outplaying Pick Central last year.

Pick North ? WOW . Where to start in another game I was dead wrong about as I am sure most were. Having seen Northmont and being somewhat impressed ,I didn't see this one coming . Weird game looking at the stat line as NM had a modest 404 to 348 yardage advantage and PN was great on third down holding the Bolts to a poor 3 of 17 on third down conversions. PN was better than that on third downs . PN tried to fix their pass run balance running Idris Lawrence 30 times . the problem was he was held under 100 yards{ 98 } . Last week they threw it 59 times. This week 31 times so they had excellent balance . The problem was FIVE interceptions. Senior Myers is familiar with the system as a Senior should be and transfer GIO Thomas who would probably be more effective got out of dodge when he was going to be suspended and only get to play 5 games anyway with the transfer rule. Tough night for Myers unfortunately. North is in real trouble . Lack of depth is a big problem as Central seems to have inflated numbers and North has deflated numbers with a bigger school population ?? Will some Central players who are good but can't start go towards North as has happened countless times both ways over the years? Transfers are frowned upon more now by Ohassa obviously so this could be a problem . North still has West y Central , Coffman , Pick C and R-Burg to play ? The seem to always lose to Lancaster as well? OUCH .

Liberty got the cover for me but won the game where I thought that a slight let down and a desperate Wayne team would may be get the victory . WRONG . once again Liberty was lights out during crunch time dominating the 4th quarter outscoring Wayne 12-0 as they were trailing 10-7 after three.

Big keys and the difference was Wayne racking up 125 yards in penalties to Liberty's 65 and Liberty was better at keeping drives going converting 6 of 13 third downs to Wayne's 3 of 15 . Both teams passed equally 234- 231 in Wayne's favor but Liberty in another key rushed for 103 yards to only 41 for Wayne.

Also got the cover in the ST X over Colerain game as X won 21-14 getting generous points { 10 } X got the outright win and cover in an impressive performance. Coffman thoughts coming.

North is in real trouble . Lack of depth is a big problem as Central seems to have inflated numbers and North has deflated numbers with a bigger school population ?? Will some Central players who are good but can't start go towards North as has happened countless times both ways over the years? Transfers are frowned upon more now by Ohassa obviously so this could be a problem .

We hear rumblings every year from kids who think they should be playing more and consider transferring across town. Ultimately it is their decision but I guess they have to ask themselves which is better… be a role player on a team that has the potential to be playing after Thanksgiving, or be a starter on a team that turns in their equipment at Halloween?

But I actually came on here to give you a hard time Harry...Usually your pick are pretty accurate but you had a rough time this week.