Dual Team State

Should Team Dual State Move to the Covelli Center?

• Total voters

chidy

Anyone know the attendance numbers for Team State in 2019?

The attendance numbers listed on OHSAA's website for prior years are as follows:
https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Wrestling/DualTeamAllTimeChamps.pdf

I'm assuming these are TOTAL numbers for Session 1 (Quarters/Semis) & Session 2 (Finals) combined

2013: 1750 (Saturday)
2014: 3093 (Saturday)
2015: 2589 (Saturday)
2016: 3390 (Sunday)
2017: 3777 (Sunday)
2018: 3491 (Sunday)
2019: ???? (Sunday)

I wonder what the breakdown for Session 1 & Session 2 is? (I'm guessing the 1st session #s are probably higher because there are 24 teams involved at that point with all their fans and the finals only having 6 teams. But that's just speculation).

Reason I'm inquiring is if this is going to continue to be a smaller event the new Covelli Center could possibly be a great venue for it for several reasons (OHSAA's website currently has it listed as taking place at St. John's for 2020 on either 2/15 or 2/16)

Covelli Center seating capacity is about 2,000 (upper bowl) without using the bleacher portion. Bleachers can't be used for Session 1 since there needs to be 6 mats down on the floor. Session 2 (Finals) the main side bleachers could be pulled out to allow about 3,000 total seats for the 1st place matches (3 mats).

Pros of having at the Covelli Center
*Brand new state of the art facility
*5 full mats of warm up area for teams in the adjoining wrestling room (warm up space has been an issue for coaches at St. John)
*Space on the walkway above the upper bowl for standing room (500? more? less?)- We know many wrestling parents/coaches/athletes can't sit down. lol
*Smaller space which could create an electric atmosphere for team/fans which could make it a must attend event (2,000 seats Session #1, 3,000 Session #2 (Finals) (Supply/Demand)

Cons of having at the Covelli Center
*2000 max seats available. Event will have a cap as to how many tickets you can sell based on actual seating capacity only being about 2000 for 1st session (Could sell standing room only at a discounted rate but you would need to have assigned seating otherwise SRO could easily sit in a seat or could do General admission but would need to have an ushers at each isle to check tickets)

*There are about 750 people that take up space in the arena just in the teams attending (24 teams x 28 wrestlers (max) + coaches). Those numbers go down as the teams lose and leave (some stay but not all), some may choose to be in wrestling practice room if they aren't wrestling that round (Quarterfinal Upper and Lower brackets wrestle at different times)

*May not always be available based on Ohio State's schedule of the 7 sports that compete there (Gymnastics M/W, Fencing M/W, Volleyball M/W, Wrestling). For 2/15/20 or 2/16/20 there are no Ohio State events scheduled at the Covelli for 5 of those sports (M/W Fencing, Womens VB, Mens Gymnastics, or Wrestling). There are currently no schedules posted for Men's VB or Women's Gymnastics at this time (Last year's MVB team was away that weekend but the W Gymnastics was home. So that could flip flop)

There definitely are some obstacles to having it at the Covelli as opposed to St. John's but I think it's worth it to try it once to see how it goes and then if it doesn't work you can always move it back to St. John's. I think the smaller atmosphere could make the event awesome for all involved and having it at OSU's brand new facility would be great too. I like St. John's but that place is made for Basketball. Bigger venues aren't always better especially for wrestling. Guess we will find that out in Minnesota for NCAA's this year (66,000 seat venue)

***Cue the beating of a dead horse about it was better when they had the 3 divisions at 3 separate locations with full wrestlebacks***

Last edited:

With St. John Arena no longer the host facility for so many Ohio State sports, it should be easier for OHSAA to get the date they want for the event. Whether that's Saturday or Sunday is a matter of debate.

With St. John Arena no longer the host facility for so many Ohio State sports, it should be easier for OHSAA to get the date they want for the event. Whether that's Saturday or Sunday is a matter of debate.

Yeah. As a coach I prefer Saturday because getting home late on Sunday especially if you make the finals is a tough Monday turn around

Not sure you are correct on the seating capacity at Covelli. I think it more like 5900. Now, I'm not sure if that 5900 includes the loge seating or not but according to the attendance numbers, should be plenty of space and seating. Just my opinion.

Not sure you are correct on the seating capacity at Covelli. I think it more like 5900. Now, I'm not sure if that 5900 includes the loge seating or not but according to the attendance numbers, should be plenty of space and seating. Just my opinion.

According to OSU's website it's 3,700. Maybe you're thinking of the Covellie Center in Youngstown

Seating for an OSU dual where they can put seats on the floor will be around 4,500 according to Tom Ryan

*fine print says "up to" 5,900. That's floor seats, with one mat. Volleyball will most likely be more in line with 3,700 because it is not conducive for floor seating.

St. John's can have 6 mats for quarters and semis, not sure the covelli center has the floor space. Seating would be no problem. Do they have the floor space?

I've confirmed that Team Dual State will be at St. John's Arena on Sunday 2/16/20. This year President's Day falls on 2/17/20 so that will be good for the teams involved that have a long distance to travel. Covelli was considered but wasn't made available as an option this year. It may or may not be an option in the future. TBD

St. John's can have 6 mats for quarters and semis, not sure the covelli center has the floor space. Seating would be no problem. Do they have the floor space?

It looks like with the bleachers in 6 mats could fit but I'm not 100% on that. Just basing it off of photos I've seen and being there in person the length won't be an issue to fit 3 mats long ways. The only question would be the width to go 2 mats wide but looking at the photos I took during the open house I'm pretty sure 6 mats will fit Seating may be an issue when you have 6 mats because when the bleachers aren't out seating will be reduced to about 2,000...but it's now a mute point until the 20-21 season.

*fine print says "up to" 5,900. That's floor seats, with one mat. Volleyball will most likely be more in line with 3,700 because it is not conducive for floor seating.
Counting the fold out seats from the picture I took with the 1 mat configuration from the Wrestling Open House. I count less than 400 fold out seats. Which would bring the numbers closer to 4,100. There is no way to fit 2,200 fold out seats on the floor with a wrestling mat there.

Where did you see the "fine print" 5,900?

Chidy: That's what makes it fine print!

Wrong, sir. Wrong. Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."Memo bis punitor delicatum". It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal. You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing. You lose. Good day sir.

ps: That was an assumption on my part, knowing that there is a difference between volleyball and wrestling set-up. (Along with the fact that I thought Tom Ryan used the number when referencing the building.) All good.

Chidy: That's what makes it fine print!

Wrong, sir. Wrong. Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."Memo bis punitor delicatum". It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal. You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing. You lose. Good day sir.

ps: That was an assumption on my part, knowing that there is a difference between volleyball and wrestling set-up. (Along with the fact that I thought Tom Ryan used the number when referencing the building.) All good.

Lol. I get the reference now. “Good day sir!”

Bought season tix for OSU Wrestling and was able to see how many seats there are in the Covelli Center for a College Wrestling Dual

Upper Bowl: 1910
Bleachers: 1912
Floor: 442
Handicap: 76

Total Seats: 4340

I'm not sure how many standing room only tickets they might plan on selling. Maybe 160 to bring the total to 4,500

OHSAA Team Duals would be a tight fit for the Quarter rounds with only 1900 seats available (Upper bowl only). The Bleachers would have to be pushed in so that all 6 mats could fit for the Quarters/Semi. But I think with the ability to have standing room and the wrestling room for warmups would alleviate some of the congestion.

Hopefully 2021 OSU makes The Covelli Center available for the Team Duals because I think it could really create a great atmosphere for the event.