Driving Pet Peeves

I realize that not many people have experience driving in dense urban areas, and it can be intimidating for those people. But just keep moving, and more importantly pay attention to signage and other unspoken rules.

Urban traffic moves faster than you think, and you need to go when you have the chance. Don't be a maniac, but one small thing usually leads to a big backup.
This is absolutely true. I used to live in Chicago and still get up there a couple times a year to visit friends. Although the stretch of 80/94 in northwest Indiana and very east Illinois isn’t as bad as it used to be, I always told myself that you have to put your head on a swivel and be willing to get aggressive as soon as you leave the relative calm of 65 North to get on 80/94 West in northwest Indiana. The timid ones are the ones who increase the congestion.

That’s especially true once you hit the Dan Ryan Expressway going into the South Side of Chicago. Stay alert and be cautiously aggressive. If you’re not, you’re more liable to get in a wreck or cause backups. In other words, you have to keep up with traffic and not be a roadblock.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Round-a-bouts are a great thing and in areas were they are newly introduced the amount of people that are terrified of them astounds me. When you see an opening go. I understand it happens but you should never stop and wait for extended periods otherwise you are doing it wrong.

Round-a-bouts are a great thing and in areas were they are newly introduced the amount of people that are terrified of them astounds me. When you see an opening go. I understand it happens but you should never stop and wait for extended periods otherwise you are doing it wrong.
Lakewood, Cleveland inner ring western suburb (now pretty upscale) wants to put in a round about at the western end of Clifton (@ W Clifton)…makes perfect sense at this location. Huge pushback from what I would describe as wealthy do-gooders. Funny to watch from over the border in the CLE.

I realize that not many people have experience driving in dense urban areas, and it can be intimidating for those people. But just keep moving, and more importantly pay attention to signage and other unspoken rules.

Urban traffic moves faster than you think, and you need to go when you have the chance. Don't be a maniac, but one small thing usually leads to a big backup.

At my parking garage there is a sign that rolls out that reads "LOT FULL: MONTHLY PASS ONLY". At least twice a month there's someone at the gate trying to pull a daily ticket in a garage that is full at 8AM, leaving several angry and now late for work drivers behind them as they try to pull back out.

I may just be crazy, but when driving in an urban area I'm unfamiliar with, I check Google Street View before to better understand how things work. It makes everything less stressful.
Amen. I regularly drive into New York City, often in the FDR. For those unfamiliar, the FDR appears to have once been planned for a horse and wagon in each direction. They've now packed in 3 lanes in each direction with a 50 mile in hour limit with numerous short on ramps. If you go less than 60 and aren't aggressive you get eaten like the baby yak in the crocodile pit. By the time I get off of the damn thing my hands are sore from the death grip I've had on the steering wheel for 15 or 20 minutes.

1. People who won't move over to let others merge when they have the ability to.

2. People who tailgate you instead of passing you on the left.

3. People who assume black ice forms the moment the temperature is below freezing. I literally followed a person person who refused to go over
15 mph when the roads were dry as a bone but the temp was below 30

4. People who refuse to drive for the conditions. If there is 6 inches of snow on the ground, you should probably slow down.

5. People who don't think/plan ahead for where they are going. If you need to make a right turn in 500 feet why are you in the left lane?

A couple doozies I saw today.

Driving with your small dog on your F-ing lap.

Getting all of the way over to the right in order to turn left.

A couple doozies I saw today.

Driving with your small dog on your F-ing lap.

Getting all of the way over to the right in order to turn left.

That would be a driving pet, peeve. Please stay on topic.

and how da hell did you see a SMALL dog, on a lap? You weren't stopped at the light, booby peaking at the Honda Civic in the next lane from inside a big-ol hard to park forward truck were you?

1668123551679.png

Attachments

• 1668123552108.png
    1668123552108.png
    1 MB · Views: 19
I carry and it's so relaxing. You can't lose your temper while in possession of a weapon. Hell, you can run me off the road and I won't do anything. It's unbelievable, the aggressive driving. Lots of lives being lost. Smh

This is only an issue if there are more than 2 lanes and them causing over there is holding up traffic.
Disagree. Sooner or later, they decide they own it, aren't looking in their rearview, otherwise holding up or causing people coming up to slow wondering what the hell the cruiser is going to do. CRUISING the left causes problems. Clear the left as trucks should clear the middle. NO ONE should have to pass on the right.

Disagree. Sooner or later, they decide they own it, aren't looking in their rearview, otherwise holding up or causing people coming up to slow wondering what the hell the cruiser is going to do. CRUISING the left causes problems. Clear the left as trucks should clear the middle. NO ONE should have to pass on the right.
Ok. I think I was misunderstanding what you meant. My point was more that the left lane is going to need to be used for more than just passing if there is only 2 lanes and you have to account for merging traffic.

Amen!

People at a light waiting to make a left hand turn but their vehicle is so far back they are the only one able to turn when the light starts to change. People driving 45 in a 25 prohibiting normal traffic flow to pull out in traffic while waiting at a stop sign.

People at a light waiting to make a left hand turn but their vehicle is so far back they are the only one able to turn when the light starts to change. People driving 45 in a 25 prohibiting normal traffic flow to pull out in traffic while waiting at a stop sign.
Luckily, these folks are few, no?

Lately, I've seen folks passing others using the center turn lane to pass - particularly on one winding city connector. Dangerous, yes!

Have we covered everything yet? lol

Two lanes narrowing down to one with most people waiting patiently in the open lane (often in a construction zone). Always some who blow by "the patients" to squeeze in at the last moment because - of course - they are more important than "the patients". Near accident at rush hour today. 😖

Jerks.
Back in the days before I-480 was completed between Tuxedo Ave and W150th, the eastbound lanes funneled into one lane at at traffic light to get onto eastbound Brookpark Rd at W150. I drove a truck on a daily pick-up route, and I think by the end of my first week of work I started the pattern of getting in the "ending" lane and over the edge line toward the guardrail far enough that I could pace another truck. Ride that thing right down to the end, and the other driver would always let me in. It was amazing how many shortcut-entitled berm a-holes would lean on their horns at me, scream and yell. Did it almost every 2nd shift work day.

Last edited:
It's killing so many.
It amazes me that it happens so often in some areas that they have custom signs. Canton 77 north of the HoF comes to mind.

Black chicks with long fake nails holding a phablet like a drink tray, going 52 in the fast lane, so they don't usually have to worry about over-taking anyone. Seems like at least one every time I go through there. lol