Driving Pet Peeves

Ooh I hate this one more than all the others.

I used to live near where a bike path crossed a road. The bike path had a stop sign and no button or anything for them to press that could signal cars to stop. It was entirely up to bikes and joggers to wait until it was clear to cross. You'd still often have cars stop and waive these people through. I get being generous, but this definitely seemed unsafe to me.
I believe that the law in Ohio, maybe just Cincinnati, states that drivers must yield to pedestrians waiting to cross at a crosswalk. I personally would not step into the street until I knew that it was completely safe due to the fact that most drivers do not yield.

I said from the jump it's a bad idea and I'll never come off of it. We have a huge substance abuse problem in this country, and in calling it substance abuse, we skirt the real name, drugs and alcohol. Most people who are addicted started out with cigarettes, beer, then weed, hard liquor and then into the cocaine and harder drugs. I don't know how that can ever be disputed. So many are just wanting the tax money from weed they ok'd it to be legalized.
I know plenty of people who have smoked for 20-30 years, function very well, and have never graduated onto something harder. I think the problem is the fact that it has become so normalized. Police are not stopping anyone for it so it encourages public use. I feel the same way about alcohol. I do not want people drinking while walking down the street or especially while driving.

I used to live near where a bike path crossed a road. The bike path had a stop sign and no button or anything for them to press that could signal cars to stop. It was entirely up to bikes and joggers to wait until it was clear to cross. You'd still often have cars stop and waive these people through. I get being generous, but this definitely seemed unsafe to me.
The alternative is a nightmare. If I am a pedestrian or cyclist I will wait until the coast is clear. I have no issue doing so. There are places in FL where any pedestrian can hit a button, flashing lights ensue and traffic comes to a halt. The problem is people do not even bother looking to see if perhaps they can wait until there is an opening and they blindly walk up and hit the button and cross. In a 2 miles stretch I have been stopped multiple times on one pedestrians desire to cross an essentially non-busy street.

I also do not like how many school districts have their busses drop each kid off at their individual house. You can be on a mile stretch and will stop 5 times. And of course the driver and the kid both take their sweet old time with the finale of the procedure being the kid has to get half way up the drive and turn around and wave to the driver before they pull back the stop sign and move on. Whatever happened to the bus stop? God forbid kids half to walk 100 yards.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on traffic cameras? I cannot stand them but usually the locals know where they are so it is only out of towners speeding or running red lights that primarily help lower the local tax bills and secondarily create a little safety.

On cannabis...

I am as pro cannabis as there is but do agree certain aspects need to be reigned in and #1 is driving while high. I ride a bike quite a bit for exercise and while at stop lights the smell of weed is just over powering at times. Also the public smoking is getting ridiculous, if we are asking folks not to smoke tobacco we should also not ask them to smoke weed. But on the flip side the dispensaries I have been in service what appears to be primarily a more affluent and grounded looking clientele, I see more dirbags in liquor/tobacco/vape stores.

People who remain at the stop bar in the left hand turn lane instead of moving up a car length or two.

Some even just stay there when the light turns red and don't even make the turn.
Which is exactly what they should do, stay behind the stop bar. Covering the space between the stop bar and the middle of the intersection once you're sure on-coming is clear and the left safe to take, takes no time at all. Anyone thinking otherwise has their head up their .

The car should stay where they can see on-coming. If there are trucks in the facing left turn, it's near impossible to see on-coming while sitting in the middle of the intersection. Moving up and blinding oneself because they might save an extra tenth of a second? Pure stupid. Getting caught in the intersection when the light turns red? Pure stupid. Finish the left turn blind and hope no idiot is rushing through the red on-coming? Pure stupid.

Of course it would be smart if traffic would have an actual left turn light instead of expecting everyone to fend for themselves off the green but that's government in a nut-shell.

Amen to the weed smoking in the car. It drives me nuts. At the point marijuana is legalized, which is all a matter of time, the legislature better damn well make sure there's a marijuana equivalent to the open container of alcohol in a vehicle law. As for now, there needs to be more enforcement of the operating under the influence of marijuana laws. Smoke away in your mom's basement. You can do without in your 10 minute trip to the mini-mart for cigs and Mountain Dew

They are actually doing what is intended for smooth flow and reduced congestion. The problem isn't that driver. The problem is the marker and cones not properly set up to encourage exactly what that in-a-rush driver did, filling up all merge lanes to one point of contact. There should be ONE merge point with the occasional exit opening, not half a mile of them backing up past on-ramps and exits. Now if you want to talk about the berm rampaging or the priviledged motor-cycles, we're on the same team.
Thanks for educating me. We're a little slow here in the South.

Sounds like I either need to move into the "merger lane" to improve my eventual position or remain patient in the current (usually right) lane.

Now, about folks who pull out in front of me, poke along for a block and then make a turn (without signal).....

Have some construction on my drive now and see some of that, but mostly people at the last mine speeding up to get past people before the zone starts and then they have to slow way down.

The whole merge thing drives me nuts. See it often on 33E getting onto 270E. On the exit ya merge to one lane and jagoffs use that open lane and wait until the last second to merge over and it slows down traffic like crazy, sometimes to a stop. Sometimes I let them in...sometimes I just stay close so they cannot.....

Another one is for exits......a driver getting out of the exit lane to pass one car and then get right back into that lane...makes no sense.

A big one is motorcycles. Summer time when they ride side by side and the one is damned near on the center line.

"Watch out for motorcycles"......they need to do their part. ALmost weekly on the highway when it is nice some jagoff is going easily 100 plus weaving in and out of traffic....very hard to see them when they are doing it.
^ This.

Similiar to what I saw yesterday except that a driver wanted to merge in early not at the last moment. Busy SR that goes from 4 lanes to 2. Rush hour. 🥴

People that back into parking spaces.
aint nobody got time for that GIF
If you are driving a pick up sometimes it is necessary. Why are you in such a hurry anyway?

Two lanes narrowing down to one with most people waiting patiently in the open lane (often in a construction zone). Always some who blow by "the patients" to squeeze in at the last moment because - of course - they are more important than "the patients". Near accident at rush hour today. 😖

Jerks.
Moving over before the lane runs out actually makes no sense.

People who stop the traffic behind them, in order to let someone in, say from a gas station or something. If you want to let someone in front of you, you need to wait for a red light, when the people behind you cannot move forward anyway, and then let that person in.

1. Idiots who pass me and then slow down. I'm on cruise control. I'm going the same speed I was before you passed me.

2 a. Tailgaters in front of me. I figure everybody has the right to drive at a speed they are comfortable and safe with. No problem, I can pass when there is appropriate space and time. But, if someone is tailgating them I do have a problem. It takes a lot more time and space for me to safely pass two vehicles. That long line of backed up traffic is not the fault of the slow driver in front. It's the fault of the jackass in the second vehicle. Please, don't be that guy.

2 b. Tailgaters behind me. WTF is wrong with these people. I drive a pick up, They are frequently so close all I can see is the roof of their tiny car. I never brake check. I figure I'm dealing with stupid people so I avoid dangerous moves. I'll slow down and move over a little hoping they get the hint and pass. If they don't, I take my foot off the gas and coast, slower and slower and slower and slower and slower until they figure it out.

3. People who drive in the passing lane because seven miles down the road they are going to make a left hand turn.
All of this, notably 2b. But, never below the minimum speed limit, of course.

Have to admit I get a chuckle - of sorts - from the drive who tails me forever, finally passes and then snuggles up to the next driver. See your WTF above.

Last edited:
People who pull past the left lane stop bar when the light is red. The right lane stop bar is ahead of the left hand stop bar to allow turning right on red. The clown who pulls past the left stop bar blocks your view so you can't turn.
Also, when leaving a parking lot. Me: thanks a lot, poopy-head! lol

I have never been a guy leading the charge on legalizing MJ. However, law enforcement can no longer effectively prosecute small MJ possession due to the legalization of hemp. We’ve passed a tipping point in Ohio. Probably should just go all legal and utilize manners and coercion to control where/when weed is smoked. It worked well for cigarettes.

Additionally, fully legal MJ will actually allow society to more easily take on MJ’s bad effects….of which there are many.

Last edited:
I tend to sit in the the high speed lane on the Ohio Turnpike at 79-80. Cars that pull in close behind me, demanding I move over…if I move over, most settle in at 79-80. I’m not going too slow...they just want to be in front…

If you are driving a pick up sometimes it is necessary. Why are you in such a hurry anyway?
Yeah, a pickup with side mirrors sticking out 3 feet on both sides. You ever try to get a back door open with a pickup with big mirrors backed lnto the parking space beside you and you have a kid you are trying to get in the car seat? If your mirror was folded in, that was me.(y)
Why is it necessary to back in a pick up?

Last edited:
I tend to sit in the the high speed lane on the Ohio Turnpike at 79-80. Cars that pull in close behind me, demanding I move over…if I move over, most settle in at 79-80. I’m not going too slow...they just want to be in front…

OK, parking in left lane at that speed is probably not the worst crime but if you see someone coming up, what are you gaining by staying in that lane? Playing traffic cop, since we're assuming motivations? So what if they want to be "first?" Is it your goal that doesn't happen? Move right. let them by. Simple design, right?

I believe that the law in Ohio, maybe just Cincinnati, states that drivers must yield to pedestrians waiting to cross at a crosswalk. I personally would not step into the street until I knew that it was completely safe due to the fact that most drivers do not yield.
I try to walk 4 to 5 miles everyday. I have learned to wait to cross in the crosswalk. I would like to have a dollar every time I've seen someone run a red light.🤬

OK, parking in left lane at that speed is probably not the worst crime but if you see someone coming up, what are you gaining by staying in that lane? Playing traffic cop, since we're assuming motivations? So what if they want to be "first?" Is it your goal that doesn't happen? Move right. let them by. Simple design, right?
I‘m gaining nothing, of course. Nor are they, most of the time.

Similiar to this: drivers who stop in traffic to let another out of a parking lot. Yes, generous is nice but, a sprinkle of common sense is good, too.

The alternative is a nightmare. If I am a pedestrian or cyclist I will wait until the coast is clear. I have no issue doing so. There are places in FL where any pedestrian can hit a button, flashing lights ensue and traffic comes to a halt. The problem is people do not even bother looking to see if perhaps they can wait until there is an opening and they blindly walk up and hit the button and cross. In a 2 miles stretch I have been stopped multiple times on one pedestrians desire to cross an essentially non-busy street.
You mean some of those buttons actually work? I've always thought they were a big sick joke. Well, at least in our downtown. lol

Last edited:
Any thoughts on traffic cameras? I cannot stand them but usually the locals know where they are so it is only out of towners speeding or running red lights that primarily help lower the local tax bills and secondarily create a little safety.
I'm okay with them except...

I got a ticket after I was caught in that "what's the safer thing to do" situation. Either slam on the brakes or hustle on through. I hustled, but not enough. lol

City did away with them when it was found out the proceeds were not going to local schools as intended. Cameras are still up so is Big Brother still watching? 🤔

I see something similar where by the person is following me close enough (while I'm in the passing lane) that I move over to let them go by. Only to find them going slower a few miles down the road, and they are now "blocking" the left lane. I see a lot of women do this. They seem to be just following along in the left lane, once you move out of the way, they don't know how to keep driving fast.

Well, we are doing NASCAR, aren't we?

Hate em. I believe many have been struck down due to a third party profiting? CatAlum?
You mean some of those buttons actually work? I've always thought they were a big sick joke. Well, at least in our downtown. lol
The buttons in Toledo do not work. This is in tourist FL sections. Any Joe can walk up, hit the button and traffic must stop. I really do not have an issue but wish the pedestrian would at least look first. You might have one car coming and you could simply let them pass without hitting the button.