Driving Pet Peeves

irish_buffalo

Been awhile since we had one of these. ;)

My biggest one would be texting while driving. I see so many people texting while driving which means they are all over the road or driving 20 miles below speed limit OR they are texting at a light and do not go on green screwing up traffic flow.

People that back into parking spaces.
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Two lanes narrowing down to one with most people waiting patiently in the open lane (often in a construction zone). Always some who blow by "the patients" to squeeze in at the last moment because - of course - they are more important than "the patients". Near accident at rush hour today. 😖

Jerks.

Two lanes narrowing down to one with most people waiting patiently in the open lane (often in a construction zone). Always some who blow by "the patients" to squeeze in at the last moment because - of course - they are more important than "the patients". Near accident at rush hour today. 😖

Jerks.
They are actually doing what is intended for smooth flow and reduced congestion. The problem isn't that driver. The problem is the marker and cones not properly set up to encourage exactly what that in-a-rush driver did, filling up all merge lanes to one point of contact. There should be ONE merge point with the occasional exit opening, not half a mile of them backing up past on-ramps and exits. Now if you want to talk about the berm rampaging or the priviledged motor-cycles, we're on the same team.

They are actually doing what is intended for smooth flow and reduced congestion. The problem isn't that driver. The problem is the marker and cones not properly set up to encourage exactly what that in-a-rush driver did, filling up all merge lanes to one point of contact. There should be ONE merge point with the occasional exit opening, not half a mile of them backing up past on-ramps and exits. Now if you want to talk about the berm rampaging or the priviledged motor-cycles, we're on the same team.
This.

The US is finally encouraging what the German Civil Engineers found out years ago is the best way to flow merging traffic, maintain current lane until the merge point and do a "zipper" method of blending into one. There is a current re-paving job going on I-90 just west of Erie PA and the there are big flashing signs telling motorist to stay in your lane until the merge and the traffic flows nice and smoothly through the job.

My current pet peeve is slow drivers in the middle lane of a three lane highway. One of the most dangerous things to do while driving is pass on the right and when you have these doofuses just chugging along in the middle with vehicles zipping by on both sides it is setting up for a very dangerous situation. Seniors are especially prone to do this as they like having that room on both sides of the car and they feel the one left hand lane gives faster vehicles ample opportunity to pass. The problem is there is a reason for 3 lanes, it is because it is a busy road and the center and far left lanes are both needed for passing by vehicle of varying speeds. I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland is notorious for accidents by folks passing on the right.

1. Idiots who pass me and then slow down. I'm on cruise control. I'm going the same speed I was before you passed me.

2 a. Tailgaters in front of me. I figure everybody has the right to drive at a speed they are comfortable and safe with. No problem, I can pass when there is appropriate space and time. But, if someone is tailgating them I do have a problem. It takes a lot more time and space for me to safely pass two vehicles. That long line of backed up traffic is not the fault of the slow driver in front. It's the fault of the jackass in the second vehicle. Please, don't be that guy.

2 b. Tailgaters behind me. WTF is wrong with these people. I drive a pick up, They are frequently so close all I can see is the roof of their tiny car. I never brake check. I figure I'm dealing with stupid people so I avoid dangerous moves. I'll slow down and move over a little hoping they get the hint and pass. If they don't, I take my foot off the gas and coast, slower and slower and slower and slower and slower until they figure it out.

3. People who drive in the passing lane because seven miles down the road they are going to make a left hand turn.

Jerks.
I remember the time I drove past two miles (no exageration) of backed up traffic until I go to the Merge Right sign and flashing arrow.

I figure half of them were mad at me and the other half couldn't figure out how I could do that.

It is extremely foggy in Northeast Ohio today with very poor visibility. I couldn't believe how many idiots were driving without headlights this morning. If you had to make a left hand turn it was an adventure.

People who remain at the stop bar in the left hand turn lane instead of moving up a car length or two.

Some even just stay there when the light turns red and don't even make the turn.
People who pull past the left lane stop bar when the light is red. The right lane stop bar is ahead of the left hand stop bar to allow turning right on red. The clown who pulls past the left stop bar blocks your view so you can't turn.

flashing signs telling motorist to stay in your lane until the merge and the traffic flows nice and smoothly through the job.
That is great when it is posted that way. The problem is when it is posted left lane closes x feet ahead MERGE RIGHT. The drivers who stay in the left lane to purposely try and squeeze in should be left sitting in the left lane until h*ll freezes over.

Is it my imagination, or are folks regularly driving in the city and suburbs with four headlights on at night? Not sure if the lower two are hi-beams, fog lamps, or what. It seems that way for every other vehicle nowadays. Very hard on my night vision, whether oncoming or in my rearview mirror.

The other night I saw a pickup truck with six headlights lit up. Really??

Lowlifes who smoke weed while driving. I smell it almost daily on my way into work now. I really don't care if you want to smoke weed when you get home, whatever. But it's become almost accepted now after the effective decriminalization of weed that you can toke and drive and nothing will happen to you. Has gotten much worse in the past 3-4 years. This is in addition to the pervasive smell of weed in virtually every urban public area after about 8pm.

Also, I hate people who drive around with no headlights on at nighttime and are to oblivious to notice.

Lazy cops that send a photo & speeding ticket in the mail, and the department’s that encourage that style of policing.
You want them to personally pull you over and give you a ticket?? It's not lazy, it's efficiency. Let's face it, with all the crap going on, cops don't want or need to spend time dealing with reckless drivers.

I saw something on texting and driving. This is very simple. most cars systems have safety measures for instance, you can't put in GPS addresses while the car is in motion. So just use the same technology, have something that jams the phones systems while driving.

I saw something on texting and driving. This is very simple. most cars systems have safety measures for instance, you can't put in GPS addresses while the car is in motion. So just use the same technology, have something that jams the phones systems while driving.
Don't most people use voice-activation for GPS or phone calling nowadays?

Jerks.
Have some construction on my drive now and see some of that, but mostly people at the last mine speeding up to get past people before the zone starts and then they have to slow way down.

The whole merge thing drives me nuts. See it often on 33E getting onto 270E. On the exit ya merge to one lane and jagoffs use that open lane and wait until the last second to merge over and it slows down traffic like crazy, sometimes to a stop. Sometimes I let them in...sometimes I just stay close so they cannot.....

Another one is for exits......a driver getting out of the exit lane to pass one car and then get right back into that lane...makes no sense.

A big one is motorcycles. Summer time when they ride side by side and the one is damned near on the center line.

"Watch out for motorcycles"......they need to do their part. ALmost weekly on the highway when it is nice some jagoff is going easily 100 plus weaving in and out of traffic....very hard to see them when they are doing it.

You want them to personally pull you over and give you a ticket?? It's not lazy, it's efficiency. Let's face it, with all the crap going on, cops don't want or need to spend time dealing with reckless drivers.

Yes I do. I want them to pull me over and give me my speeding ticket, just like I want them to pull over the other "speeder" that might be driving with a suspended license, under the influence, has no insurance, tailgating, texting, is fleeing the scene of a crime, has a felony warrant etc..... And in my mind, it isn't efficiency....it's a lazy cash grab. Last I checked the fine is $100, $60 for the department and $40 for the company in Tennessee that handles the administration.

Signaling entering a one way roundabout or circle.

Not allowing people to merge on to a highway.

Dimwits in the high speed lane.
Those are all big for me as well. Not using a signal at all when it matters like in the right turn lane so oncoming traffic knows you are turning.

Saw a kid in the fast lane on 75 recently doing 60mph as he was texting away. Oblivious to his surroundings. It is amazing how many people text and drive.

Lowlifes who smoke weed while driving. I smell it almost daily on my way into work now. I really don't care if you want to smoke weed when you get home, whatever. But it's become almost accepted now after the effective decriminalization of weed that you can toke and drive and nothing will happen to you. Has gotten much worse in the past 3-4 years. This is in addition to the pervasive smell of weed in virtually every urban public area after about 8pm.

Also, I hate people who drive around with no headlights on at nighttime and are to oblivious to notice.
Always been an advocate for legalization of marijuana even though I do not use. Since it has been legalized, I am second guessing myself. It is amazing how many people smoke in public and smoke while driving.

Side note: I went to a dispensary in MI last weekend. Absolutely packed in what was an old Burger King. Of the roughly 100 people there I'd say maybe 2-3 looked like they could hold down a job. 😲

Have some construction on my drive now and see some of that, but mostly people at the last mine speeding up to get past people before the zone starts and then they have to slow way down.

The whole merge thing drives me nuts. See it often on 33E getting onto 270E. On the exit ya merge to one lane and jagoffs use that open lane and wait until the last second to merge over and it slows down traffic like crazy, sometimes to a stop. Sometimes I let them in...sometimes I just stay close so they cannot.....

Another one is for exits......a driver getting out of the exit lane to pass one car and then get right back into that lane...makes no sense.

A big one is motorcycles. Summer time when they ride side by side and the one is damned near on the center line.

"Watch out for motorcycles"......they need to do their part. ALmost weekly on the highway when it is nice some jagoff is going easily 100 plus weaving in and out of traffic....very hard to see them when they are doing it.
The motorcycle thing is very bothersome. I always laugh when there is a pack of weekend warriors who think they are the Hells Angels.

California is even worse. Traffic will be bumper to bumper and motorcycles buzz in-between lanes and it is legal.

Always been an advocate for legalization of marijuana even though I do not use. Since it has been legalized, I am second guessing myself. It is amazing how many people smoke in public and smoke while driving.

Side note: I went to a dispensary in MI last weekend. Absolutely packed in what was an old Burger King. Of the roughly 100 people there I'd say maybe 2-3 looked like they could hold down a job. 😲

Ha! 3-4 years ago I walked into one in LA just out of curiosity. Same.

Yes I do. I want them to pull me over and give me my speeding ticket, just like I want them to pull over the other "speeder" that might be driving with a suspended license, under the influence, has no insurance, tailgating, texting, is fleeing the scene of a crime, has a felony warrant etc..... And in my mind, it isn't efficiency....it's a lazy cash grab. Last I checked the fine is $100, $60 for the department and $40 for the company in Tennessee that handles the administration.
If you want to staff enough cops to control crime AND hand out tickets, get ready for more taxes. The city has to "trust" that we drive a certain way, they can't be checking every car to see if someone is high or buzzed, texting or carrying drugs. When something bad happens, then they act. That's kind of the way it works.

I said from the jump it's a bad idea and I'll never come off of it. We have a huge substance abuse problem in this country, and in calling it substance abuse, we skirt the real name, drugs and alcohol. Most people who are addicted started out with cigarettes, beer, then weed, hard liquor and then into the cocaine and harder drugs. I don't know how that can ever be disputed. So many are just wanting the tax money from weed they ok'd it to be legalized.

People who remain at the stop bar in the left hand turn lane instead of moving up a car length or two.

Some even just stay there when the light turns red and don't even make the turn.
Ooh I hate this one more than all the others.

I used to live near where a bike path crossed a road. The bike path had a stop sign and no button or anything for them to press that could signal cars to stop. It was entirely up to bikes and joggers to wait until it was clear to cross. You'd still often have cars stop and waive these people through. I get being generous, but this definitely seemed unsafe to me.