Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

OWK & ohiopup,

I'll toss out a "softball" related trivia question for anyone interested. What is the connection between Wilt Chamberlain and The Dovells ?

JB

Both from Philly's Overbrook High School and Len Barry aspired to be a professional basketball player??

And yes, "JB", Bevo would have had much to say about this topic. He is really missed!

I learned something earlier today about one of the songs referenced, so I'll say the connection is "Philadelphia".

Used to listen to Dirk Bartley's Saturday night oldies show back in the early 1980's, and "Bristol Stomp" was on frequently. Not knowing about Len Barry or the Dovells, I just assumed it was a British group singing about Bristol, England. A few hours ago (before I'd seen this question) , I learned it referred to Bristol PA, which is just outside of Philadelphia. And of course, Wilt set his 100-point NBA game record with the 76er's.

Too bad, Bristol Stomp sounded like it should have been part of the British Invasion. :D

Zunardo,

While the city of Philadelphia is a connection with both The Dovells and Wilt Chamberlain, I am
looking for something even more specific than just the city of brotherly love. You are on the right track.

The night in 1962, Wilt scored his 100 points against the Knicks the game was played in Pennsylvania, but not in Philadelphia
it was played in Hershey, PA. I'll turn this Dovells and Chamberlain trivia question into a Chamberlain question for a second. . .Whose single game scoring record did Wilt break the night he scored the 100 points ?

Remember, I'm still looking for the original answer to the connection between Wilt and The Dovells. lol.

JB

Well, see moments after I posted my question, the reliable OWK came through, not to my surprise, with the answer of
Overbrook HS in Philly as the common denominator with The Dovells band members and Wilt all being alumni of Overbrook.Len Barry joined the original members as the lead singer just in time to have The Bristol Stomp peak at #2.

Now looking for the player who Wilt Chamberlain broke the NBA single game scoring record with his 100 point night.

JB

Last edited:
Zunardo,

While the city of Philadelphia is a connection with both The Dovells and Wilt Chamberlain, I am
looking for something even more specific than just the city of brotherly love. You are on the right track.

The night in 1962, Wilt scored his 100 points against the Knicks the game was played in Pennsylvania, but not in Philadelphia
it was played in Hershey, PA. I'll turn this Dovells and Chamberlain trivia question into a Chamberlain question for a second. . .Whose single game scoring record did Wilt break the night he scored the 100 points ?

Remember, I'm still looking for the original answer to the connection between Wilt and The Dovells. lol.

JB

"JB" Did you see my guess? Overbrook High School and Len Barry aspired to be a professional basketball player.

Oops, I didn't see the second part of the question. Wilt broke his own record with 100 points. If you're looking for another player, it was Elgin Baylor.

"JB" Did you see my guess? Overbrook High School and Len Barry aspired to be a professional basketball player.

Oops, I didn't see the second part of the question. Wilt broke his own record with 100 points. If you're looking for another player, it was Elgin Baylor.

OWK,

You are correct that Wilt's 100 point effort in March of 1962 broke his own record set about 3 months earlier in December
of 1961 when he scored 78 points against the Lakers and that broke Elgin Baylor's previous record of 71 points. Chamberlain scored 60 or more points 18 times that season ending up averaging 50.4 ppg which was another record.

I apologize for turning a question about The Bristol Stomp, The Dovells, Len Barry and Overbrook HS into a Wilt Chamberlain
trivia question. As Mrs. JB has mentioned to me on numerous times, " I tend to ramble". lol.

JB

OWK,

I apologize for turning a question about The Bristol Stomp, The Dovells, Len Barry and Overbrook HS into a Wilt Chamberlain
trivia question. As Mrs. JB has mentioned to me on numerous times, " I tend to ramble". lol.
JB

"JB" - Apologize? Are you kidding me? I loved the trivia questions and we've spent a lot of years "rambling". Many of our posts have lead to pretty good discussions that lead to different subjects. I'd say much of it is "useless trivia", but a wise friend of mine once told me that there is no such thing as "useless trivia".

As if we need it, here's more sad news:

Alex Trebek, beloved 'Jeopardy!' host, dies after cancer battle at age 80

One of our former AARP members, rdlwolverine, not only participated on the Jeopardy, but he won. He was always very tough to beat on the trivia questions. I will, however, say that on sports and music, "JB" is what's known as a "tough out". :) Over the years, we've really had some interesting and knowledgeable people on this thread.

Last edited:
Hello all, my husband and I just got back from Florida. He became an Ironman! That's 2.4 miles in the Gulf of Mexico, 112 miles on the bike, followed by a marathon of 26.2 miles. They have 17 hours to complete it and not a second more. He completed it in 15:48:13. He's 64 years old.

I could not be more proud of him!
After reading that, I'm just giving up and retreating to my recliner 24/7. ?

Congratulations, Mr. Diva! That is impressive.

Hello all, my husband and I just got back from Florida. He became an Ironman! That's 2.4 miles in the Gulf of Mexico, 112 miles on the bike, followed by a marathon of 26.2 miles. They have 17 hours to complete it and not a second more. He completed it in 15:48:13. He's 64 years old.

Outstanding and congratulations!

Thumbs Up for FB.jpg

After reading that, I'm just giving up and retreating to my recliner 24/7. ?

Congratulations, Mr. Diva! That is impressive.

It'd be a challenge but I think I could do that 17 hours in the Lazyboy.

Wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. I knew of the Iron Man but I figured age limit at 32 or something. Congrats to Hubby for sure, at any age. The body is amazing when it has a willful mind attached.

Congrats to your hubby. I'm 64 too and I could do the bike part in 17 hours, and that's it.

I think I could still do the bike part but not cold. A month of getting the butt used to the saddle, getting the legs trained. Just don't like the road like I did as a kid. 10 miles was about my limit running and that bloodied by feet or tore a calf. Just not a natural and never motivated enough to over come it. I get tired getting in and out of the tub, so the swimming is a no go, never has been.

So what exactly do you do while hubby's doing this? Pick up beach boys? Drinks with umbrellas? Training?

I volunteered at the race. I checked in athletes the day before, and I also had two shifts at the finish line the day of the race. That's the only way I would have been allowed to be there when he came in. No spectators were allowed in many areas; but it's a public street so there were still quite a few.

I spent a lot of the day reading in the condo and following him on the tracker app. He was far away during the bike portion.

He has toned down the training, naturally. He's swimming four times a week now. I go every Saturday and do a mile. He spends time on the indoor trainer, as do I. We both use the treadmill to run when it's cold.

We have a couple distant parks still with dirt trails. Everything is paved so I've pretty much given up any running. Can't do the inside thing. I need something to see. A simple walk through woods is a great pleasure. Continued good sporting health to you and yours.

Being thankful for this long running thread of nice people and nice conversation: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Watching Darlene Love sing "Marshmallow World" on the Today show right now. I just had to explain to Mrs. Zunardo who she is.

HaHa, just heard on the radio that the Rolling Stones combined age is 306.
Pete Townshend had no idea fifty-some years ago. Had Bill Wyman not retired from the Stones, that collective age would be 390.

If Kiss keeps up their "retirement tour" much longer, they might come close, lol.

Last edited:
I heard Kiss changed some lyrics for their retirement tour: "I want to rock and roll all night and take long naps everyday...You drive us wild, we'll get sleepy."
I saw them in April 2019, walking around in their big clunky platform heels, and thinking "Boy, those tootsies will be screaming tonight!"

I went to The Eagles when they were last in Cleveland. As I observed the crowd climbing the steps to get to their seats I said to the lovely Mrs. Griswold that there was once a time that we watched for overdoses at concerts but now the main concern was broken hips.