Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

I hadn't heard the Kokomo song before.

Eddie Van Halen was a favorite of mine. I thought he was adorable back in the day on the 70s when they came out.

I loved the long-haired guitar players and married one! My husband still has his long hair. Are you familiar with Mr. Gold on "Once Upon a Time"? He looks just like him. Facial features are very much the same as his, as is the hair. People ask him all the time if he's Robert Carlyle.

I remember the first time I heard "Running with the Devil". Great song, and David Lee Roth was a great frontman, probably the best ever. I wish we had seen them when we had the opportunity back then.

Sorry to say, but I prefer the "Van Hagar" years. Even the lone album they did with Extreme's lead singer Gary Cherone wasn't bad, IMHO. Van Halen ranks among my top 4 favorite bands (Rush will always be #1, but then there's U2, Van Halen, and Guns 'N' Roses). I can't recall any VH songs ever leaving me in a bad mood even though a few of them were certainly meant to do so. My favorite VH song would be either "Dreams" or "The Seventh Seal."

Incidentally, Alex Van Halen's son Aric was a pretty good distance runner (steeplechase) at the U. of Colorado and competed at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials.

Last edited:
The year 2020 sucks. Hall of Famer Joe Morgan dies today at age 77. I have many fond memories of seeing The Big Red Machine play at Riverfront back in the seventies. We were spoiled with this starting lineup: Rose, Morgan, Bench, Perez, Foster, Griffey, Concepcion, Geronimo. Morgan was one of the best players on one of the best teams ever.

I loved it when Morgan retired and started broadcasting games. Somewhere during the broadcast, Joe would always seem to sneak this in: "That reminds me of the time I won back-to-back MVP's..." lol...a little self-promotion never hurt. He always had the confidence. He will be missed.

RIP Joe Morgan.

The year 2020 sucks. Hall of Famer Joe Morgan dies today at age 77. I have many fond memories of seeing The Big Red Machine play at Riverfront back in the seventies. We were spoiled with this starting lineup: Rose, Morgan, Bench, Perez, Foster, Griffey, Concepcion, Geronimo. Morgan was one of the best players on one of the best teams ever.

I loved it when Morgan retired and started broadcasting games. Somewhere during the broadcast, Joe would always seem to sneak this in: "That reminds me of the time I won back-to-back MVP's..." lol...a little self-promotion never hurt. He always had the confidence. He will be missed.

RIP Joe Morgan.

I remember going to Riverfront in the heyday and seeing the Big Red Machine against the Dodgers with Yeager, Garvey, Lopes, Cey.... I thought that was the coolest place I'd ever been.

Joe Morgan was a class act. A second baseman in a time when second baseman were expected to be good fielders and light hitters who led the league in on base percentage and slugging in the same year, while being Gold Glove level in the field. I will always remember that chicken wing at the plate.

RIP Joe Morgan.

Back in the days it was worth memorizing line-ups because they weren't gonna change with the next negotiation. My favorite non-Tiger was probably Brooks Robinson.

68 Tigers: Denny McLain 31 wins, Lolich with 3 WS wins including a game seven against history, Bob Gibson
69 Miracle Mets
70 Earl Weaver and Sparky Anderson. What a collection of future HOFers

Oakland A's came and went but what color they brought. to the game.

great time to be in middle school, first mitt, bat, cup (lol), being on the team (Indians, blah).

Last edited:
Back in the days it was worth memorizing line-ups because they weren't gonna change with the next negotiation. My favorite non-Tiger was probably Brooks Robinson.

great time to be in middle school, first mitt, bat, cup (lol), being on the team (Indians, blah).
Hold on a sec - I thought your earliest TV memories were of watching Spongebob Squarepants? :D

Somehow I ended up a Phillies fan. C- Boone, 1B- Hebner, 2B- Sizemore, SS- Bowa, 3B- Schmidt, RF- MCBride/Johnstone, CF- Maddox. LF- Luzinski. I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner but I can remember that lineup 45 years later.

Last edited:
Back in the days it was worth memorizing line-ups because they weren't gonna change with the next negotiation.

Somehow I ended up a Phillies fan. C- Boone, 1B- Hebner, 2B- Sizemore, SS- Bowa, 3B- Schmidt, RF- MCBride/Johnstone, CF- Maddox. LF- Luzisnki.

I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner but I can remember that lineup 45 years later.
I remember that time in my life well. It was the same for most of the boys my age on my street. Reading the annual Street & Smith cover to cover several times during the summer certainly contributed to that.

I remember that time in my life well. It was the same for most of the boys my age on my street. Reading the annual Street & Smith cover to cover several times during the summer certainly contributed to that.
I forgot about Street & Smith.

We were all about baseball cards, from about middle school through high school. My most gut-wrenching grade school trade: I traded my Johnny Bench for a Mickey Mantle, straight up. I really wanted to keep my Bench card, but I couldn't turn down a Mickey Mantle. I had Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Brock, Seaver, McCovey, Kaline, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my cards any more, but mine were well-worn and not worth much except memories.

Baseball was our #1 sport back then. By far. The Reds were our team. We listened to "Jim and Joe on the Radio" (and later Marty) every summer night, even the late West Coast games, under our bed covers after our parents told us "lights out". Back when life was innocent and easy.

Go Indians; My favorite player: Larry Dobie
~ Rocky Colavito and The Colavito Curse
~ Lakefront Stadium
~ Jimmy Dudley doing the games on the radio

Wahoo / Doby / Rocky
140px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png
180px-Larry_Doby_1953.jpg
180px-Rocky_Colavito_1959.png

Cleveland Municipal (AKA Lakefront) Stadium
180px-Cleveland_Municipal_Stadium_last_game_played_in_the_stadium_December_17%2C_1995.jpg

Capacity when built Baseball = 78,811 / Football = 80,385
They say that it was built on a landfill site and that an old washing
machine had worked it's way to the surface and the wringer popped
out near home plate (of course it was removed)

I have a brother-in-law (lives in Kent) that was a NCAA baseball umpire
that worked some Indians' games there when the umpires went on strike.

Of course a baseball card of a much despised Yankee or Tiger could
(with the help of a clothes pin) be a low tech sound effects engine
on your bicycle. -*-*- GOOD TIMES -*-*-

:>---

one of the few

Last edited:
Big Tigers fan here.

First baseball memories are from the 68 Tigers. Norm Cash, Dick McAuliffe, Willie Horton, Gates Brown, Bill Freehan and of course my favorite of all time Al Kaline. Remember my grandfather taking me to the Lucas County ball park for an exhibition between the Tigers and Mud Hens and getting Kaline's autograph. It is really the only professional autograph I ever saved.

Then 84, Trammel, Whitaker Parrish....etc......

Had millions of dollars worth of baseball cards, thrown away when we moved. (Only half kidding about what they were worth!!)

My favoritism gravitated towards shortstop post 68. Brinkman, then of course Trammel. Did anyone have as long a career as Brinkman with a 220 lifetime batting average.

68, my favorite was Horton. Being fatherless and all the stories how he adopted new players, held the BBQs, made him my favorite. Kaline was a god. Northrup and Cash were monsters in the series.

Rumours back in the TOP-10

I still have my original vinyl copy.

220px-FMacRumours.PNG

Fleetwood Mac‘s seminal 1977 album ‘Rumours’ has re-entered the top 10 of the Billboard 200 after 42 years thanks to recent surge in popularity.

The album jumped from #13 to #7 this week, following its newfound popularity after Nathan Apodaca – otherwise known as 420doggface208 – posted his viral TikTok seen around the world of him longboarding while listening to ‘Dreams’ and drinking cranberry juice.

one of the few

The Spencer Davis Group recorded one of the great songs of the mid-1960s.
R.I.P. Spencer Davis
Now that I think about it, after all these years I never heard a thing publicized about Spencer Davis himself. I couldn't tell you if he wrote songs or what instrument he played. You hear the name, you think "Oh, Stevie Winwood". But an iconic figure nonetheless.

I don't know how I missed this one...
(well, I do know, can't stand to watch the MSM news anymore)

Just caught the snippet on TCM on Rhonda Fleming ( "Queen of Technicolor") passing 10/14/2020

Rhonda Fleming ~1923-2020 (age 97)

She did a short stint in Vegas and cut a few recordings...

Leatherneck

Last edited:
I don't know how I missed this one...
(well, I do know, can't stand to watch the MSM news anymore)

Just caught the snippet on TCM on Rhonda Fleming ( "Queen of Technicolor") passing 10/14/2020

Rhonda Fleming ~1923-2020 (age 97)

She did a short stint in Vegas and cut a few recordings...

Leatherneck
^ Agree. That and the stars of yesteryear seem to go quietly in the night unlike the days long fanfare of today. I suspect they prefer it that way.

RIP

Anyone else watching NewsNation on WGN? It started some weeks ago and airs from 8:00 to 12:00(ET).

I watch the first hour; it's a breath of fresh air. That said, I have to admit I keep expecting to hear the spin after each (facts only) report. None so far! ?

I missed the game Saturday! ? I didn't realize it was on.

I had a wedding to go to. Normally I can't believe anybody would schedule a wedding on an Ohio State Gameday.....but this couple had an excuse. They actually got married in May with no guests. So they re-enacted their vows in front of a 1/2 full church and a full reception this time around. They thought football was cancelled when they made the date...

RIP Len...

It's easy, ...

I didn't hear this song until I got to advanced infantry training in North Carolina;
had a transistor radio and could pickup Cousin Brucie out of New York (WABC ~ 50K watts)

EGA

Last edited:
Just an FYI that we lost another performer from the old days:

View attachment 11702
Len Barry Dies: Singer On ‘Bristol Stomp’, ‘You Can’t Sit Down’ and '1-2-3' was 78:
https://deadline.com/2020/11/len-barry-dies-singer-on-the-bristol-stomp-was-78-obituary-1234610707/

OWK & ohiopup,

Sad to hear of the passing of Len Barry. I would imagine that there are not too many readers of this thread who are familiar with Len Barry or The Dovells of Bristol Stomp fame. Some exceptions would be yourself and ohiopup. This is something that our old friend Bevo would have some memories of for sure.

I'll toss out a "softball" related trivia question for anyone interested. What is the connection between Wilt Chamberlain and The Dovells ?

JB

I'll toss out a "softball" related trivia question for anyone interested. What is the connection between Wilt Chamberlain and The Dovells ?
I learned something earlier today about one of the songs referenced, so I'll say the connection is "Philadelphia".

Used to listen to Dirk Bartley's Saturday night oldies show back in the early 1980's, and "Bristol Stomp" was on frequently. Not knowing about Len Barry or the Dovells, I just assumed it was a British group singing about Bristol, England. A few hours ago (before I'd seen this question) , I learned it referred to Bristol PA, which is just outside of Philadelphia. And of course, Wilt set his 100-point NBA game record with the 76er's.

Too bad, Bristol Stomp sounded like it should have been part of the British Invasion. :D