Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Miss DuBois singing something about “all the men are hairy-chested, and the women are double-breasted”?

Today (July 20) is Natalie Wood's birthday (b: 07/20/1938)
died at age 43 in 1981... she wold have been 82 today.

TCM is showing several of her films today ...

At age 35 ~~~
220px-Natalie_Wood_Allan_Warren.jpg

From the film The Great Race - her own singing - Jackie Ward dubbed the lyrics in the film.

:>---

SALT
Natalie Wood was murdered! I read it in the "National Enquirer".

Honestly, though, there were some suspicious circumstances around her death. Robert Wagner? Purely accidental?

Today (July 20) is Natalie Wood's birthday (b: 07/20/1938)
died at age 43 in 1981... she wold have been 82 today.

TCM is showing several of her films today ...

At age 35 ~~~
220px-Natalie_Wood_Allan_Warren.jpg

From the film The Great Race - her own singing - Jackie Ward dubbed the lyrics in the film.

SALT

Thanks for the heads up. Will try to catch one of her movies tonight.

I wasn't very aware of Natalie Wood back in the day - what's up with that? - but, we recently watched Splendor in the Grass. Great movie. Gorgeous.

RIP

I heard she had too much to drink and fell off the boat. Happened all too often on cruise ships back in the day when they were allowed to sail.

7/21....

Song for today... 1-hit-wonder by Jonathan King
- it reached #7 on the Billboard Hot-100 in 1965

=== Tie-in ===
7/20 LEM lands on the Moon (LUNA)
"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
7/21/1969 Neal Armstrong goes walk-about on the Moon

= = = == == === == = = =

Happy Birthday to...

Taco is 65 today... (b: 1955 as Taco Ockerse in Jakarta, Indonesia)

This song reached # 4 in 1982

He also did this...

SALT

I heard she had too much to drink and fell off the boat. Happened all too often on cruise ships back in the day when they were allowed to sail.
That's the semi-official story. However, the coroner changed the cause of death from "accidental drowning" to "drowning and other undetermined factors." There has been a lot of speculation of foul play.

How did Natalie Wood really die? I'm guessing it was Colonel Mustard with a Candlestick in the Library ... but I could be wrong ... it could have been Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone. :unsure:

7/21....

Song for today... 1-hit-wonder by Jonathan King
- it reached #7 on the Billboard Hot-100 in 1965

=== Tie-in ===
7/20 LEM lands on the Moon (LUNA)
"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
7/21/1969 Neal Armstrong goes walk-about on the Moon

= = = == == === == = = =

Happy Birthday to...

Taco is 65 today... (b: 1955 as Taco Ockerse in Jakarta, Indonesia)

This song reached # 4 in 1982

He also did this...

SALT
Fifty-one years since the Apollo 11 moon landing! Time does fly. I was a mere 12 year old lad watching Walter Cronkite with 600 million other people around the world. What a great moment in history.

"We came in peace for all mankind."

Thank you Katharine Lee Bates who wrote this poem on this date (July 22, 1893);
after viewing the vista before her from the top of Pikes Peak in Colorado.

The music was added in 1910, and was first composed in 1882 by Samuel A. Ward
(a church organist) as a hymn.

- - - = = = == === == = = = - - -

Meet Walter...

1954... (you can skip to 19:00 if you wish)

With Vino ...oops- Dino...

SALT

And now mankind has gone to pieces.

Oh sure, when it all falls apart it's ok to say MANkind but when things are going well, we can't say that.:p

I imagine my Ma felt very much this way back in 68 when I was too small to feel the stress in the air. Stay close to those that love you, or at the least, those that can cook and that gets us through until times get better.

Thank you Katharine Lee Bates who wrote (America The Beautiful) on this date (July 22, 1893);
after viewing the vista before her from the top of Pikes Peak in Colorado.
The thumbnail of Ray Charles singing this brought to mind another colorful "patriotic" song. I happened to watch the official video for this a few years ago, and caught 1.5 seconds of the letter sorting machine (LSM) that I used to work on in the Postal Service when Rocky IV came out. You can't see the whole machine - 12 people sitting in a row at keyboards, letters constantly moving in front of them - but it was enough to say "Hey, that's what I used to do!" The screen shot shows a vacuum pick-off arm that lifts letters from a transport belt and drops them on a chain drive for the person to view for seven-tenths of a second, and key within three-tenths of a second - 60 letters a minute, 8 hours a day.

Sadly, those machines have been gone almost 25 years, replaced by automation. But I enjoyed doing that job my first 3 years before moving on to other areas, and I thought it was neat someone took the time to put those particular images in the video.

The footage of the LSM comes at 1:45. Eddie Murphy, eat your heart out!

LSM.jpg

2: Olivia de Havilland - Dead at age 104

Olivia Mary de Havilland ( age 104 - 07/1/1916 ~ 07/25/2020 )
- I believe she was the last of the major stars of Gone With The Wind
_ _ (I will try to confirm that)

Her younger sister Joan Fontaine passed away in 2013 @ age 96

SALT

Major Roles...

Year of death + age / actor and role

At Tara plantation
1962 @ 70 / Thomas Mitchell as Gerald O'Hara
1980 @ 70 / Barbara O'Neil as Ellen O'Hara (his wife)
1967 @ 53 / Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara (daughter)
2008 @ 91 / Evelyn Keyes as Suellen O'Hara (daughter)
2012 @ 94 / Ann Rutherford as Carreen O'Hara (daughter)
1959 @ 45 / George Reeves as Brent Tarleton (actually as Stuart) Youngest to die
------------- AKA TV's Superman
2008 @ 90 / Fred Crane as Stuart Tarleton (actually as Brent)
1952 @ 59 / Hattie McDaniel as Mammy (house servant)
1949 @ 49 / Oscar Polk as Pork (house servant)
1995 @ 84 / Butterfly McQueen as Prissy (house servant)
1982 @ 79 / Victor Jory as Jonas Wilkerson (field overseer)
1953 @ 51 / Everett Brown as Big Sam (field foreman)

At Twelve Oaks
1949 @ 69 / Howard Hickman as John Wilkes
2014 @ 98 / Alicia Rhett as India Wilkes (his daughter)
1943 @ 50 / Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes (his son)
-------------- KIA WW-II
2020 @ 104 / Olivia de Havilland as Melanie Hamilton (their cousin) Oldest and Last Surving to die
2003 @ 84 / Rand Brooks as Charles Hamilton (Melanie's brother)
1974 @ 72 / Carroll Nye as Frank Kennedy (a guest)
1960 @ 59 / Clark Gable as Rhett Butler (a visitor from Charleston

In Atlanta
1942 @ 62 / Laura Hope Crews as Aunt Pittypat Hamilton First to die
1977 @ 71 / Eddie Anderson as Uncle Peter (her coachman)
-------------- AKA 'Rochester' TV with Jack Benny
1943 @ 89 / Harry Davenport as Dr. Meade
1954 @ 74 / Leona Roberts as Mrs. Meade
1967 @ 87 / Jane Darwell as Mrs. Merriwether
1955 @ 51 / Ona Munson as Belle Watling

FYI -Minor roles...

1971 @ 76 / Cliff Edwards as the reminiscent soldier
--------------- AKA voice of Disney's Jiminy Cricket film 'Pinocchio' (1940)
1960 @ 57 / Ward Bond as Tom, the Yankee captain
--------------- often co-star w/ John Wayne in John Ford or Howard Hawks films

SALT

Philbin and de Havilland - wow, two lives well-lived.

Regis Philbin a touring musician with a powerhouse band? On the REO Speedwagon live album "You Get What You Play For" (1977), bassist Gregg Philbin is referred to as "Regis" during his solo on "157 Riverside Avenue". No wonder you never saw the two of them together at the same time!

Olivia de Havilland - man, I still get chills thinking about the first movie I saw her in, 1972's "The Screaming Woman". One of those cheesy-but-delicious horror flicks ABC put out back when I used to shiver in front of the TV on a Saturday night. Olivia plays an older woman, recently returned to her estate after being in a psychiatric hospital. Upon her return, she swears she hears the faint voice of a woman buried alive on her property, pleading for help - but no one will believe her.

The exciting conclusion (ten minutes long)

How is everyone?

I was surprised to hear our governor of Ohio tested positive for Covid-19 on the tarmac while waiting to see Pres. Trump today. Asymptomatic.

Last edited:
Tried to tell my HS English teacher that test grade was a false negative. She didn't believe. This is the problem when you don't teach Science to the liberal arts teachers.

How is everyone?
I'm dreading the fact my wife plans to retire in mid-October. My life of retirement ease will come to a halt when she's home full-time year-round. Will have to find her a part-time job to keep her busy so I have less to do around the house. :cool:

With that upcoming life change in mind, we purchased a very good used trailer RV last week, our first. Now we just have to remember how to hook and unhook that fancy anti-sway hitch, and figure out the switches and connectors for water, propane, electric - and the ever-important black water waste hose disposal. I may be quizzing you experienced RV folks on here when I run into trouble, lol.

Wow, the RV lots we visited were busy. We finally found the one we wanted on a Thursday, came back on Friday to finish the deal. During the 2 hours we were there, their parking lot had no empty spaces. Non-stop stream of shoppers coming in and out. Crazy.

I'm normally a very stay home kind of person but it is starting to drive me crazy. I really thought this "safe shelter" would play right into my hands but I find myself getting cabin fever, even though I have no idea where to go.
The first few months I had to report to work, the past couple I've been working from home.
I could go to Florida and visit my parents but being put in quarantine for two weeks doesn't sound like a very good vacation.

I'm dreading the fact my wife plans to retire in mid-October. My life of retirement ease will come to a halt when she's home full-time year-round. Will have to find her a part-time job to keep her busy so I have less to do around the house. :cool:

With that upcoming life change in mind, we purchased a very good used trailer RV last week, our first. Now we just have to remember how to hook and unhook that fancy anti-sway hitch, and figure out the switches and connectors for water, propane, electric - and the ever-important black water waste hose disposal. I may be quizzing you experienced RV folks on here when I run into trouble, lol.

Wow, the RV lots we visited were busy. We finally found the one we wanted on a Thursday, came back on Friday to finish the deal. During the 2 hours we were there, their parking lot had no empty spaces. Non-stop stream of shoppers coming in and out. Crazy.
RV sales are very good here, too. (NC) One local dealer is selling them faster than they can get them in. We are thinking about the RV life, too. Have fun!

RV sales are very good here, too. (NC) One local dealer is selling them faster than they can get them in. We are thinking about the RV life, too. Have fun!
Things are crazy in the bicycle industry, too. Big box retailers' bike inventories are extremely depleted. Local bike shops' entry level bike inventories are very small. My local shop has had its showroom closed on Mondays for 2 months in order to have a day where they can focus on repairs and new bike assembly. Even so, the repair requests are coming in faster than they can turn them out. They're currently quoting people needing new repair jobs past Labor Day as an estimate for when they can do the work. Some online retailers are out of certain components that you'd put on entry-level bikes (like 7-speed mountain bike rear derailleurs) and aren't expected to get more until mid-October. The fact that most lower end bike frames and parts are made in China only adds to the difficulty of resupply.

Even Park Tool's website is out of stock on some of their more basic tools. I assume it's due to people doing more of their own wrenching due to the backlog of repair jobs at their local bike shops. Some of their tools are also made in China now, I do believe. I've had some luck acquiring some used tools on eBay. In the bike world, Park Tools are like a cross between Snap-On and Craftsman. They're high-quality and hold their value well, so even their used tools are good, but you're still going to pay close to retail for them unless you come across a seller who has no idea what he or she has. I'm constantly looking for those deals. I've expanded my arsenal of tools to tackle more elaborate repair jobs and to work on some older or lower end bikes for friends who have taken up riding again during this situation. Their bikes sat in their garages for years to the point of being unrideable without some repair work. Some TLC or overhauling has been needed to get those bikes back in service. It's fun working on them knowing how happy the people are to be able to ride again, but I wouldn't want to work in a bike shop full time. I'm a tad OCD, so I spend way too much time cleaning the bikes and parts before I do the actual repair job. That would never fly in a real shop where the only goal is to turn them out as quickly as possible.

Things are crazy in the bicycle industry, too. Big box retailers' bike inventories are extremely depleted. Local bike shops' entry level bike inventories are very small. My local shop has had its showroom closed on Mondays for 2 months in order to have a day where they can focus on repairs and new bike assembly. Even so, the repair requests are coming in faster than they can turn them out. They're currently quoting people needing new repair jobs past Labor Day as an estimate for when they can do the work. Some online retailers are out of certain components that you'd put on entry-level bikes (like 7-speed mountain bike rear derailleurs) and aren't expected to get more until mid-October. The fact that most lower end bike frames and parts are made in China only adds to the difficulty of resupply.

Even Park Tool's website is out of stock on some of their more basic tools. I assume it's due to people doing more of their own wrenching due to the backlog of repair jobs at their local bike shops. Some of their tools are also made in China now, I do believe. I've had some luck acquiring some used tools on eBay. In the bike world, Park Tools are like a cross between Snap-On and Craftsman. They're high-quality and hold their value well, so even their used tools are good, but you're still going to pay close to retail for them unless you come across a seller who has no idea what he or she has. I'm constantly looking for those deals. I've expanded my arsenal of tools to tackle more elaborate repair jobs and to work on some older or lower end bikes for friends who have taken up riding again during this situation. Their bikes sat in their garages for years to the point of being unrideable without some repair work. Some TLC or overhauling has been needed to get those bikes back in service. It's fun working on them knowing how happy the people are to be able to ride again, but I wouldn't want to work in a bike shop full time. I'm a tad OCD, so I spend way too much time cleaning the bikes and parts before I do the actual repair job. That would never fly in a real shop where the only goal is to turn them out as quickly as possible.
I have two repairs I need on my bike, the same two I have "done" before. For some reason, I lost the first of the three ranges and decided to fix that. Well, I got the first range back, but lost the third range - the one I use almost exclusively - in the process. No big deal, but I need to take another stab at it before I take it to the bike shop this winter (tune-up and whatever else).

Also, I adjusted my rear brakes, but they are back to working just so-so, "forcing" me to over-use the front brakes. (It's not good to go shooting over the handlebars - something I have done twice). Damn soccer moms think they own the road! :) I'll add this to my to-do list. Until now, I haven't thought about consulting YouTube. Hmmm... Looking forward to fall when I can double my current routine.

Sounds like a great and thoughtful hobby! The nice thing about doing stuff in your own good time is you can afford to be OCD. The amount of time I spent fixing a couple kitchen cabinets this morning (re-aligning one - off by 1/16th" LOL - and installing a couple magnetic latches) was outrageous. But, I enjoyed it. I'll save the "pressure cooker" for work work!

I have two repairs I need on my bike, the same two I have "done" before. For some reason, I lost the first of the three ranges and decided to fix that. Well, I got the first range back, but lost the third range - the one I use almost exclusively - in the process. No big deal, but I need to take another stab at it before I take it to the bike shop this winter (tune-up and whatever else).

Also, I adjusted my rear brakes, but they are back to working just so-so, "forcing" me to over-use the front brakes. (It's not good to go shooting over the handlebars - something I have done twice). Damn soccer moms think they own the road! :) I'll add this to my to-do list. Until now, I haven't thought about consulting YouTube. Hmmm... Looking forward to fall when I can double my current routine.

Sounds like a great and thoughtful hobby! The nice thing about doing stuff in your own good time is you can afford to be OCD. The amount of time I spent fixing a couple kitchen cabinets this morning (re-aligning one - off by 1/16th" LOL - and installing a couple magnetic latches) was outrageous. But, I enjoyed it. I'll save the "pressure cooker" for work work!
When you say "ranges," are you talking about shifting on the front chainrings? Could be a cable tension issue. Could be a limit screw issue (the tighter the limit screws, the less the derailleur can move inward and outward. Could be a derailleur that's a tad gummed up w/ old grease and dirt and needs flushed w/ WD-40 or some other solvent, cleaned, and then re-lubed. Could be an issue w/ cable tension, or perhaps the cable or housing is corroded and needs replaced. Could be anything, but it should be a simple fix once you identify the source of the problem, and it likely won't require any special tools. You can totally do this with a little insight from 1 of the best bicycle repair instructors in the USA:

Assuming the rear brake pads are aligned equidistant to the rim and set at the proper "toe-in" position and height (i.e. not rubbing the tire or having part of the pad hitting below the braking surface on contact), just keep tweaking that cable tension on the rear either via barrel adjuster or by disconnecting the cable and either reducing or releasing the slack in the cable before re-connecting it.

Also, tune-ups are generally a rip-off and just a way for shops to keep some money coming in during the slower winter months. That said, it's great that you support your local bike shop as you do.

Last edited:
Got a Trek 610 been sitting in a garage unused for about 30 years. I could true the wheels for old time's sake I suppose. Need to do something to pass the time.

Oh wait, doughnuts!

Got a Trek 610 been sitting in a garage unused for about 30 years. I could true the wheels for old time's sake I suppose. Need to do something to pass the time.

Oh wait, doughnuts!
I don't own a truing stand (can't bring myself to spend that much $), but I have a spoke tensiometer which at least helps ensure that I have the spokes set to a tension that will yield a strong wheel even if it isn't perfectly true. Even so, I hate truing wheels. If I really want to get a wheel trued, I pray for the weather to be so bad that I can't be outside for any reason. Otherwise, if the weather is nice enough, and it comes down to riding or maintenance, I'm riding.

Just do a bit of cleaning/degreasing/de-rusting of parts, and it'll look like new. A clean bike is a happy bike. A happy bike is a fast bike. A fast bike is a bike you'll want to ride.

My buddy's mountain bike hadn't moved in years. It was caked w/ dirt, rust, and grime. The derailleurs wouldn't move at all when I first got my hands on it. I cleaned it and doused the shifters and all the derailleur pivot points w/ WD-40, let it sit for a day, and got some movement from the derailleur. Repeated the process, and restored the derailleurs' full range of motion. Replaced the cables and housing, and the thing shifts better than my own mountain bike. There was a very nice steel-framed mountain bike under all that dirt and rust. His wife wasn't sure it was salvageable, but I got it back in service for $50 worth of parts (1 tube, new seat clamp (didn't realize until the end that it never had one, so the seat post would just drop right down into the frame), brake pads, all new cables, all new cable housing, plus minor truing of the wheels, minor re-alignment of the rear derailleur hanger, and fine tuning the shifting). The other 2 bikes I worked on for him only needed some TLC and new tubes. 1 of them only needed the shifters flushed w/ WD-40 and relubed to get them to work again. He got 3 bikes back in service for $65 worth of parts and a batch of cookies for labor. Another friend of mine never charged me for any work on my bikes when I was younger and didn't have the knowledge or tools to do my own work, so it's nice to pay some of that forward.

Last edited:
When you say "ranges," are you talking about shifting on the front chainrings? Could be a cable tension issue. Could be a limit screw issue (the tighter the limit screws, the less the derailleur can move inward and outward. Could be a derailleur that's a tad gummed up w/ old grease and dirt and needs flushed w/ WD-40 or some other solvent, cleaned, and then re-lubed. Could be an issue w/ cable tension, or perhaps the cable or housing is corroded and needs replaced. Could be anything, but it should be a simple fix once you identify the source of the problem, and it likely won't require any special tools. You can totally do this with a little insight from 1 of the best bicycle repair instructors in the USA:

Assuming the rear brake pads are aligned equidistant to the rim and set at the proper "toe-in" position and height (i.e. not rubbing the tire or having part of the pad hitting below the braking surface on contact), just keep tweaking that cable tension on the rear either via barrel adjuster or by disconnecting the cable and either reducing or releasing the slack in the cable before re-connecting it.

Also, tune-ups are generally a rip-off and just a way for shops to keep some money coming in during the slower winter months. That said, it's great that you support your local bike shop as you do.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I imagined the "ranges" issue was tension-related, but will check the other items.

Always know where my WD-40 is. That may be a good first place to start as my bike has some built-up grime. :)

The only other time I got a tune-up was after I had not ridden for a good deal of time. Thanks for the heads up.