Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Hello, Gentlemen,

Look back on February 18, 2020, at post #7972. Monclova Steve said he has some important medical issues he's trying to take care of. I messaged him to find out if he's okay a few days later.

On April 12, I asked him how he's doing. He wrote in his reply that he had an inoperable form of leukemia and didn't know how long he had to live. He asked me not to tell anyone yet, and I told him I would keep his secret.

I wrote again on May 5 to see how he was. Mrs. Monclova wrote back on May 12 that she lost her husband on April 22 at home, surrounded by his family. She said that because of his health issues, he was limited in his physical activities. This site was an important way for him to stay connected to the outside world. She says, "Thanks to all for providing a pleasant diversion for both of us."

Monclova Steve was always so kind, always respectful, always aware that "there is a lady in the room", which I have always appreciated. He will be so greatly missed.

I hope he and Bevo are meeting and having a good talk, and listening to that rock and roll band in heaven.

Diva - Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this horrible news, but extremely glad that you shared it with us. As most of us already know, Monclova Steve had been on this thread from the time it was on JJ Huddle. Monclova Steve always seemed positive and classy. He was one of the first AARPsters to compliment others and/or wish them luck. Although most of us have never met face-to-face, it was apparent that Monclova Steve was a really good guy. I know that he had great pride in the Western Hills section of Cincinnati where he was raised and that he still followed the Reds. On some of the music trivia tests, we could always count on Monclose Steve and his wife to participate.

Monclova Steve also received my basketball newsletter for years, so I hope his family doesn't mind that I publicize his obituary:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledoblade/obituary.aspx?n=stephen-d-gray&pid=196062431

Hopefully, Monclova Steve and Bevo are organizing a chapter of the AARP Thread in the hereafter.

Rest in Peace, Monclova Steve!

Man, 2020 will not be remembered as a good year.
The passing of Bevo, and now our beloved Monclova Steve has really got me down. Always looked forward to their contributions here when I would see their name pop up in this thread, and Monclova had his own unique way of communication, and always with the help of Mrs.M would do good on the music quizzes. RIP Monclova Steve, we're gonna miss you.
The Monclova obituary was very short (but informative), a far cry from the lengthy obituary I authored for my dad who passed away not unexpectedly about 4 weeks ago. Thought I would post that here for anybody who might be interested. Warning: It's long.

That was a very nice read Coldshoulder. Very accomplished. My family already showed me mine: Died the way he lived. With dust on his cloths. Impressed by people who make this world turn and so sorry he passed in this age when it's difficult to gather and reminisce.

Will miss Monclova Steve. As with Bevo and others that have passed, I will go read their last and lasting communications to us. They can be so telling.

Today is Blue Jeans Day

May 20, 1873 – Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive a U.S.
patent for blue jeans with copper rivets.

Happy Birthday James 'Jimmy' Stewart (b:5/20/1908 ~ d:7/2/1997)

Happy Birthday Cher nee: Cherilyn Sarkisian (age 74)

Happy Birthday Susan Cowsill Born in Canton, Ohio 1959 (a:60)
--- member of the music group'The Cowsills'
--- an Army brat, her Father was stationed in Canton as a recruiter

:>---

SALT

I am so sorry to hear about Monclova Steve, who I knew better as dorciepatrick, his JJHuddle moniker. Diva mentioned he'd let on about some health issues, and I'd forgotten about that. He and I had a few conversations on the political threads over the years. We were usually on opposite sides, but he always kept his thoughts and expressions on the high road. Rest in peace, DP.

Hello, Gentlemen,

Look back on February 18, 2020, at post #7972. Monclova Steve said he has some important medical issues he's trying to take care of. I messaged him to find out if he's okay a few days later.

On April 12, I asked him how he's doing. He wrote in his reply that he had an inoperable form of leukemia and didn't know how long he had to live. He asked me not to tell anyone yet, and I told him I would keep his secret.

I wrote again on May 5 to see how he was. Mrs. Monclova wrote back on May 12 that she lost her husband on April 22 at home, surrounded by his family. She said that because of his health issues, he was limited in his physical activities. This site was an important way for him to stay connected to the outside world. She says, "Thanks to all for providing a pleasant diversion for both of us."

Monclova Steve was always so kind, always respectful, always aware that "there is a lady in the room", which I have always appreciated. He will be so greatly missed.

I hope he and Bevo are meeting and having a good talk, and listening to that rock and roll band in heaven.

Thoughts and prayers to Monclova Steve's wife and family. We're losing some of our classiest posters on this site much faster than we can replace them.

Really sad to hear about Bevo and Monclova Steve. Much input to this thread will be lost and missed. RIP.
It's great that some on here were able to know them IRL and provide this information.

Hoping that everyone is doing well.

For the rest of us...
As Spock would say... "Live long and prosper".

SALT

Today is Dorothy Gale's birthday

June 10, 1922 ~Judy Garland ~ nee Frances Ethel Gumm

TCM is showing several of her films...

Back in Ohio where I come from...

SALT

The second train set I ever got (1956) ~
A Lionel Passenger set the Santa Fe Super Chief
with two F3 engines (unit A's) and a no cab unit B
(as depicted in the video A-B-A) with a baggage car, 2 standard passenger cars
a domed passenger car, and the observation car.

Obtained from one of my Dad's trips to New York City.

SALT

Whoa, I thought yous just being obtuse but guy's serious about his trains. I am railing

OK, I take no blame for the title of the article.

_109645568_photo-by-steve-crise-_2007-.jpg

American Masters _ PBS...

Some of this I knew, some I didn't but very interesting...

Whoa, I thought yous just being obtuse but guy's serious about his trains. I am railing

OK, I take no blame for the title of the article.

_109645568_photo-by-steve-crise-_2007-.jpg

I have trains! Not like this though. This is pretty awesome. I love building models too and have quite a few buildings on my train layout. In fact, I have a little shack just like the one at the bottom of this picture. Mine don't look nearly this authentic.......:(

So you saw the Buckeyes were well represented on the team of the decade? I was hoping Jon Diebler would be there, but he wasn't mentioned.

So you saw the Buckeyes were well represented on the team of the decade? I was hoping Jon Diebler would be there, but he wasn't mentioned.

Yes Diva, it would have been nice for Jon Diebler to make the Big Ten All-Decade Team. At least Aaron Craft was mentioned on the 3rd team. Here are the teams as chosen by the Big Ten Network:

Big Ten.jpg

Sullinger should be First Team, IMO.
Back in the Puddle days, some of us on this thread had some good discussions about Sullinger and his career at OSU, and then his potential going into the NBA. Because they were similar in size, I recall comparing him to Glen "Big Baby" Davis, hoping that Sullinger could meet or exceed Davis' NBA production. Turns out he was better, at least statistically.

Davis, 6-9, 290.............9 seasons (2007-2015), 21.1 mpg, 8.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 44.7 fg%, 70.0 ft%, 12.4 per
Sullinger, 6-9, 260......5 seasons (2012-2017), 24.3 mpg, 10.8 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 43.6 fg%, 72.3 ft%, 16.2 per

---< if it comes in 3s ~ here's #2 >---

Ohio native Hugh Downs has passed...
(Age 99 / February 14, 1921 – July 1, 2020)

One time announcer for Jack Parr on the 'Tonight Show'

He was born in Akron - raised in Lima

U.S.Army WW-II vet.

SALT

---< if it comes in 3s ~ here's #2 >---

Ohio native Hugh Downs has passed...
(Age 99 / February 14, 1921 – July 1, 2020)

One time announcer for Jack Parr on the 'Tonight Show'

He was born in Akron - raised in Lima

U.S.Army WW-II vet.

SALT
98...99...Do I hear 100? Let's keep those #s out of our range!

This thread was in danger of falling off of the 1st page of the forum. No way that should ever happen. Bump to the top.

Thanks Mr. Slippery! This was very nice of you.

It certainly has been a tough 2020. Besides the major problems facing our country, we took a HUGE hit with the loss of Bevo and Monclova Steve. I'm not necessarily saying this is the case with this thread, but sometimes it's just hard to continue on the same journey. Things change and time marches on.

I remember years ago that I told Bevo that when the AARP Thread got to 10,000 posts, I was going to "retire". At that time, he told me he had health issues (colon cancer). I promised him that as long as he was hanging in there, I'd continue to be active on this thread. Well, obviously things have changed and I don't seem to be as motivated to post as I once was. Please, don't any of you take it personally because we have such a great group. I find it hard to believe that in almost 20-years, we never had any major issues. People always respected one another and this thread was a place of acceptance (also info and grins).

This thread has evolved over the years and we'll just have to see where the future leads us. For now, best wishes and please stay safe!

Today (July 20) is Natalie Wood's birthday (b: 07/20/1938)
died at age 43 in 1981... she wold have been 82 today.

TCM is showing several of her films today ...

At age 35 ~~~
220px-Natalie_Wood_Allan_Warren.jpg

From the film The Great Race - her own singing - Jackie Ward dubbed the lyrics in the film.

SALT