Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

To add to the solemn feel of the thread lately, my father-in-law just passed away today. I'll miss him so much. ?

My husband is with his mother now and has been since April 1 to help take care of him. He was 91, she's 90 and still going strong.

I believe in life after death. I believe in the resurrection of the Savior and that we'll all live again someday. I wouldn't be able to take it if I thought I'd never see my loved ones again.

To add to the solemn feel of the thread lately, my father-in-law just passed away today. I'll miss him so much. ?

My husband is with his mother now and has been since April 1 to help take care of him. He was 91, she's 90 and still going strong.

I believe in life after death. I believe in the resurrection of the Savior and that we'll all live again someday. I wouldn't be able to take it if I thought I'd never see my loved ones again.

Diva - I'm joining with Zunardo to offer my sympathies on the lost of your father-in-law. You know that those of us on this thread will remember your family in our prayers. ? ?

With coronavirus causing havoc around the country and the deaths of people close to us, it certainly seems like a sad time. As Diva mentioned, thankfully, many of us believe in the afterlife and external happiness. As a result, hope springs eternal.

FootballFan1795 posted some COVID-19 information last week. The following link is very good at supplying information on how the coronavirus is effecting different parts of the country. Fortunately, it looks like Ohio has met its peak and better days are ahead. Hopefully, this information proves to be true:

I hope everyone had a blessed Easter and let's try to remember what Winston Churchill once said: "When going through hell, keep going".

GOTTA ROCK ON!

Last edited:

Diva, please accept my condolences on the loss of your FIL. You, your husband, and your MIL will be in my prayers.

Oh, Diva...may God bless you. You have indeed had a very tough year. It gives me some solace that you have faith that your loved ones will be reunited once again. In the meantime, we would all be glad to help you carry your burden.

Thank you all. It seems so many things are happening now that is bringing the world to their knees, people coming together as never before in my lifetime.

Perhaps that is the reason?

Deepest sympathies to you Diva, and your husband and family. It's never easy to lose a parent, even if you think you're prepared; and it's especially tough on families during these uncertain times. My dad is almost 95, has been in a nursing home over a year now, and it's been very difficult to accept that we haven't been able to visit him now for a month, which seems like forever, and who knows, it might be. Sure hope not.

I hope everyone is doing well as can be expected, after a rough week. On the plus side, Mrs. Zunardo has only snapped at me a couple of times since she was forced to start working from home a month ago. I try to stay out of her way, but I still slip up occasionally ....

Saw where Green Bay Packers great and HOF member Willie Davis passed away today. In his honor, I thought about digging out my copy of "Instant Replay" to re-read during our quarantine. Anyway, was surprised to learn that Willie's grandson is Wyatt Davis of the Ohio State basketball team. Not sure if that had already been mentioned on here? To my discredit, Wyatt is the only OSU player could name this year.

Not only that, Willie's son (and Wyatt's dad) is Duane Davis, an actor who's appeared in quite a few movies and TV shows. The one I remember seeing him in was "Necessary Roughness". He played Featherstone, who was nicknamed Hands Of Stone because he couldn't catch a pass to save his lfe.

I hope everyone is doing well as can be expected, after a rough week. On the plus side, Mrs. Zunardo has only snapped at me a couple of times since she was forced to start working from home a month ago. I try to stay out of her way, but I still slip up occasionally ....

Saw where Green Bay Packers great and HOF member Willie Davis passed away today. In his honor, I thought about digging out my copy of "Instant Replay" to re-read during our quarantine. Anyway, was surprised to learn that Willie's grandson is Wyatt Davis of the Ohio State basketball team. Not sure if that had already been mentioned on here? To my discredit, Wyatt is the only OSU player could name this year.

Not only that, Willie's son (and Wyatt's dad) is Duane Davis, an actor who's appeared in quite a few movies and TV shows. The one I remember seeing him in was "Necessary Roughness". He played Featherstone, who was nicknamed Hands Of Stone because he couldn't catch a pass to save his lfe.

Thanks for the info, Zunardo. I saw the obituary on Willie Davis, but had no idea that actor Duane Davis or OSU football guard Wyatt Davis were related to him. Once again, just an example of a "small world". Thanks!

Enjoy the re-read of "Necessary Roughness". Most of us are getting pretty creative about how to spend our time during this quarantine.

I'm sure most of you have seen the following, but don't show it to Mrs. Zunardo.. :) I think it's pretty funny...I hope:

Trying to ROCK ON!

I certainly thought of our good friend Bevo this afternoon as I just learned that former Ohio State basketball captain, Ron Sepic passed away about 3 weeks ago in his hometown of Uniontown ,PA. I would imagine that only the most senior followers on this site could even recall Ron Sepic who was a three year starter for the Buckeyes, scored over a 1000 points in his career and was a team captain of the OSU basketball team in 1967 his senior year. Freshmen weren't eligible to play back then, but Sepic was a starter in '65, '66, and '67. He averaged 15.4 ppg for his career.

Bevo came to mind because he and I had several Ron Sepic conversations on both Yappi and on the old Huddle. Bevo had asked the question of what Buckeye BB player from the 60's had appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in the spring of 1963 and what was the circumstances. I had read about this a few months earlier in a book I had recently bought at a used charity book sale. The book was about the golden age of OSU basketball during the Fred Taylor era. The answer was Ron Sepic, who was introduced by Ed Sullivan as a member of the Parade Magazine 1963 All-American High School Basketball team. Sepic was a senior from Uniontown ,PA and that team also included a 15 year old Lew Alcindor, later known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar. If OWK happens to be reading this he will recall another player on the '63 AA Parade AA team by the name of Ian Morrison, who we discussed at one time. Morrisson was from St. Petersburg, FL where I lived for about 3 years while I was in 6th,7th, and 8th grade.. Morrison, Sepic and I all graduated HS in '63.

Bevo and I had quite a discussion about Sepic's appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show and it turned out that Bevo had also read that same book about the golden age of Ohio State basketball. I also told Bevo that I used to pass Ron Sepic on the Oval at OSU every morning my sophomore year at OSU on the way to class. Never had a class with him or ever spoke to him but we passed about the same time three days a week. I just know that Bevo would have seen Ron Sepic's obit before I did and would have posted it on here along with some memory from one of Sepic's games as a Buckeye and probably added some additional info about Ron Sepic being a 12th round draft pick in the '67 NFL draft by the Redskins and a 12th round NBA pick by the Cincinnati Royals ( it's true ). He never played either sport professionally, he ended up being an orthodontist in Uniontown,PA.

Sure miss having the opportunity to have had one more OSU discussion with Bevo involving some vintage Buckeye hoops.
Incidentally, there is a video of that 1963 Parade Magazine HS All-American team on Ed Sullivan Show on YouTube and I'm just sure our friend Bevo would have pointed that out to us.

JB

Thanks "JB" and eastisbest! Yes, Bevo would have been all over this sad news about Ron Sepic's passing. Along with Dave Sorenson and Bill Hosket, Ron Sepic was a favorite of Bevo's. "JB", you're spot on when you mention the past discussions with Bevo concerning these Buckeyes. Sepic was quite an athlete at Uniontown (PA). As you know, he was first-team all-state in both hoops and football. Sepic was one of the most highly recruited basketball players in 1963 and chose OSU over Duke and WVU. He had a great career as a Buckeye and was quite successful after graduation (as mentioned, he was an orthodontist).

Yes "JB", I certainly remember Ian Morrison. He led the nation in scoring while at St. Petersburg (FL) High School. He was also quite an athlete. He was recruited to play football at Florida even though he didn't play high school football. The coaches wanted him to be a wide receiver and team-up with their young QB, Steve Spurrier. They thought that Ian and Spurrier would be a good combination. Believe-it-or-not, Ian Morrison's best sport was probably baseball (pitcher). Morrison chose to attend North Carolina and play for Dean Smith. He played there for two-years before transferring to Florida State. Even though Morrison transferred out of UNC, Dean Smith continued to hire him to be a "shooting coach" at the Dean Smith Summer Basketball Camp.

A few years ago, I was surprised to learn that "JB" had actually lived in St. Petersburg and that a very close friend of mine knew Ian Morrison as his junior high school basketball coach in Kingsport (TN). My friend who played for Ian had no knowledge that Morrison was that good and famous a player. I guess that you could add humility to Ian Morrison's traits. As a sidebar, I'm Facebook friends with Ian's wife and have kept up with his travels and fishing (his two biggest hobbies). Of late, he hasn't paid much attention to hoops. Here's a story from 2019 about the 1963 All-American team that appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show:

I also had a "Bevo-moment" a few days ago. One of the last things Bevo was interested in (other than Upper Sandusky basketball) was to what college Ohio State's D.J. Carton was going to transfer. I read that Carton was going to transfer to Marquette and immediately wanted to post something for Bevo. It's somewhat comforting to know that as long as there's an AARP Thread, Bevo will be a part of it. All can add is that, "Bevo, if you're up there following along, you are greatly missed".

ROCK ON!

Last edited:
Interesting information and conversation here in the recent posts from long-time stalwarts JB, Zunardo, and One Who Knows. But with all due respect to you guys, I will forever consider our beloved Bevo as the heart and soul of this thread, one who would always strike up the band (MSB reference there :sneaky:) when things here had stalled; and like the rest have commented, he would have jumped right in and added his unique perspective and experiences this week...and certainly would have offered some sage advice, and I'm sure some tall tales, too, about the current state of affairs that we're all dealing with.

Thanks to all for their continuing contributions, and once again, RIP to our dear friend Bevo.

Interesting information and conversation here in the recent posts from long-time stalwarts JB, Zunardo, and One Who Knows. But with all due respect to you guys, I will forever consider our beloved Bevo as the heart and soul of this thread, one who would always strike up the band (MSB reference there :sneaky:) when things here had stalled; and like the rest have commented, he would have jumped right in and added his unique perspective and experiences this week...and certainly would have offered some sage advice, and I'm sure some tall tales, too, about the current state of affairs that we're all dealing with.

Thanks to all for their continuing contributions, and once again, RIP to our dear friend Bevo.

coldshoulder - I agree 100% about Bevo being the "heart and soul" of this thread. Much like our current society, things on this thread will never quite be the same. They might be OK and even enjoyable, but it will never be the same. I'm just glad that we have those experiences to remember. It sort of reminds me of the lyrics from "For The Good Times":

Don't look so sad, I know it's over
But life goes on and this ol' world will keep on turning
Let's just be glad we had some time to spend together

There's no need to watch the bridges that we're burning

ROCK ON!

Last edited:
10 days since the last post on this thread, and now I've lost my "heart and soul"...my father passed away Saturday afternoon, thankfully very peacefully, and not COVID related. He was 10 weeks shy of his 95th birthday. Circumstances allowed him to live with me for nearly five years before a second transition to a nursing home a little over a year ago. Mom died early from cancer 31 years ago, but dad was fortunate to have developed a relationship a few years later with a wonderful woman who had lost her husband around the same time, in effect allowing them both to live and enjoy a "second" life for another 20+ years. So many things went "right" for my father all across his lifetime, and the peaceful ending was a fitting capstone.

I sincerely hope all the rest of the AARPster's on this thread are coping with this health crisis, and that everyone is healthy and happy.

Last edited:
Coldshoulder, thinking of you during this difficult time. Do you believe in the afterlife? I do. When my dad passed a few years ago, my seven siblings and I were very comforted to know he had joined my mother who left us two years previous.

I hope you find peace and joy in the long life he was privileged to share with you.

coldshoulder, so sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. Thankfully, you had him in your life for as long as you did, but that still doesn't make facing this huge loss any easier, I know. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sad news out of Miami. Many in NE Ohio remember that before his Hall of Fame coaching career, the Painesville native played for John Carroll University and the Cleveland Browns (he also played with the Redskins and the Colts).

R.I.P. DON SHULA!

Don Shula - that gave me pause. Seems like those Colts and Dolphins SB seasons happened just the other day. I'm sure of it.

Had coffee with my father today, talking about 1970. He was working in base supply at Lockbourne AFB, said he remembered issuing gas masks to the national guardsmen when they were called up a few days earlier, and he remembers doing inspections on the masks when they were returned. Had to be an eerie feeling.

Don Shula - that gave me pause. Seems like those Colts and Dolphins SB seasons happened just the other day. I'm sure of it.

Had coffee with my father today, talking about 1970. He was working in base supply at Lockbourne AFB, said he remembered issuing gas masks to the national guardsmen when they were called up a few days earlier, and he remembers doing inspections on the masks when they were returned. Had to be an eerie feeling.

Zunardo - Both of your comments are very interesting and thanks for posting.

I heard the following story about Don Shula today and I thought I'd share it:

Don Shula heard that some of his guys (Jim Kiick, Zonk, etc.) were planning on staying out after curfew and partying the night before a road game. Shula tipped the bellhop at the hotel $100 and gave him an NFL football. He asked the bellhop to have every player who came back to the hotel after midnight to autograph the ball. The next day before the game, Shula started reading names from the football and said that every guy whose name was read would not be playing in the first quarter.

I hope everyone is hanging in there!

Seems like our thread is turning into an obituary, but I had to post this. One of the founding fathers of rock and roll, Little Richard, has died at 87. I'm sure Bevo will be one of the first to greet him.

R.I.P. Little Richard!

Aw, thank you so much! Yes, I heard from all my kids; my daughters sent me flowers. My husband cooks dinner every night that he's home now, so that wasn't new. I love that. I cooked every night all while our kids were growing up. He does it now because he likes to. I don't mind cleaning up after him. ?

Thank you for the well wishes. You guys are the best friends I've never met! ?

Happy belated Mother's Day Diva.

Interesting that you said you don't mind cleaning up after him. When I cook, my wife always tells me I have to clean up MY mess. Kind of makes me mad because I cooked for US...so it's OUR mess. But heck, if that's the only thing that makes me mad, I guess we're good!! LOL

Happy belated Mother's Day Diva.

Interesting that you said you don't mind cleaning up after him. When I cook, my wife always tells me I have to clean up MY mess. Kind of makes me mad because I cooked for US...so it's OUR mess.

Let us know if you find a way to make that work.

Hello, Gentlemen,

Look back on February 18, 2020, at post #7972. Monclova Steve said he has some important medical issues he's trying to take care of. I messaged him to find out if he's okay a few days later.

On April 12, I asked him how he's doing. He wrote in his reply that he had an inoperable form of leukemia and didn't know how long he had to live. He asked me not to tell anyone yet, and I told him I would keep his secret.

I wrote again on May 5 to see how he was. Mrs. Monclova wrote back on May 12 that she lost her husband on April 22 at home, surrounded by his family. She said that because of his health issues, he was limited in his physical activities. This site was an important way for him to stay connected to the outside world. She says, "Thanks to all for providing a pleasant diversion for both of us."

Monclova Steve was always so kind, always respectful, always aware that "there is a lady in the room", which I have always appreciated. He will be so greatly missed.

I hope he and Bevo are meeting and having a good talk, and listening to that rock and roll band in heaven.