Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

I watched the highlight video from the game thread in the Basketball section. At first I thought there'd been a mistake about the photo being of the last play - turned out I was watching a McDonald shot with 22 seconds left. Once I got the right play cued up, I'd have to agree it should have been a foul.

Sounds like a great game! As for the crowd or lack of crowds in future games, I find it very confusing. The governor has made recommendations, but not everyone is following them. Some conferences are playing their tournaments with fans and others aren't. For instance, the MAC Tournament in Cleveland will be closed to the public.

Also, the Cleveland Monsters (hockey) are going to play in the same building as the MAC Tournament (no fans permitted) yet there are no restrictions about fans for the hockey game. These events are in the same state and even the same arena. It's a pretty crazy situation with a lack of consistency. Now USA Today is calling for "March Madness" to be cancelled:

Hopefully, we'll all get through this with no (or limited) issues.

ROCK ON!

Looks like more issues as many Ohio colleges and universities are closing for everything other than online classes. Looks like the students at UD aren't too happy about being sent home:

Also, here's the situation as per the MAC Tournament:
Each team gets 120 spots for games. Each player/coach gets 4 tickets. Add in media, medical, administrators, managers, trainers.

Lots of craziness!

ROCK ON!

Giving a local shout-out to the Columbus State Community College men’s basketball team, who won the Great Lakes District championship over the weekend, qualifying for the NJCAA D-III National tournament March 12-14 in Rochester MN.
Aurrgghh. #9 Cols State lost 61-58 to #8 Herkimer College (NY) this afternoon. Herkimer won the D-III national championship last year.

November will be here before I know it.

As the coronavirus relates to basketball, things have gone from bad to worse. Besides the MAC Tournament and the OHSAA tournaments being played without spectators, the following has occurred:

"March Madness" will be played with no spectators:

The NBA season has been "suspended" indefinitely:

Don't be surprised if the entire NCAA Tournament is shut down within the next few days.

Good luck to Upper in tonight's game vs. Lima Shawnee.

ROCK ON!

That's what I am looking for also. How can they go on?

If the game is played tonight I'll have my trusty transistor with me.

Life and death are everything - but having the toys taken away hurts a lot!

That's what I am looking for also. How can they go on?

If the game is played tonight I'll have my trusty transistor with me.

Life and death are everything - but having the toys taken away hurts a lot!

Bevo - I think we've seen the last basketball (high school and college) for this season. The OHSAA has canceled all future tournament games/matches, many of the college conference tournaments have been canceled and Duke has suspended all athletic activities until further notice. It's only a matter of time until the "Big Dance" will officially be canceled/suspended.

ROCK ON, I HOPE!

Ohio is now considering canceling all spring sports.

Yep, the Ohio schools will also get a 3-week "Spring Vacation" and "March Madness" has officially been canceled.

ROCK ON!

Now what do we do? Anyone want to lead a sing-a-long? Karaoke? Ok, I'll go first

They say we're young and we don't know
Won't find out til il illlll we grow

I'm all in for some Karaoke, but first I want to brag about my first and only winning NCAA Bracket Sheet:

ROCK ON!

I realize the devil is in the details and I have the flu today but what sense does it make t cancel the high school games (played in front of a couple of hundred people) but send everyone back to school today and Tuesday. Just saying. My wife 's building has over 600.

She'll be teaching sixth grade math from our house. We are in deep, unchartered waters.

I realize the devil is in the details and I have the flu today but what sense does it make t cancel the high school games (played in front of a couple of hundred people) but send everyone back to school today and Tuesday. Just saying. My wife 's building has over 600.

She'll be teaching sixth grade math from our house. We are in deep, unchartered waters.

Bevo - I hear you. Lots of crazy things going on an we are certainly in uncharted waters. Seems like things are changing so rapidly that's it is hard to keep up. While I was watching SportsCenter this morning, the status of The Masters changed. All was well at 9:00 am and by the time the program ended, the event was canceled. Wish you the best in fighting the flu, but thankfully it's not the coronavirus.

We are really heading into an interesting time in our society. Usually, it's sports that takes our minds away from the problems of the country. One of the things I remember after 9/11 was George W throwing out the first pitch in Yankee Stadium. Also, after the bombing at the Boston Marathon, Neil Diamond sang "Sweet Caroline" at the Red Sox game. This situation is totally different. It's very sad, but hopefully we'll all unite to fight this horrible virus.

On a less serious note concerning the coronavirus, what in the heck is going to be televised on ESPN. Tough to have an all-sports, all-the-time station without sports.

ROCK ON!

We're somewhat fortunate here, our district already had our students off today for a teachers in-service. My wife's a secretary at the middle school and uses it as a catch-up and get-ahead day. Gov DeWine's message yesterday was confusing, said the spring break began "Monday", but at the end of school, instead of saying it began Tuesday. Our district took the smart way out and just told our student "no school" on Monday, and to come back on April 6 or whatever date that was. Teachers and staff will come in Monday, and then the buildings will be vacated that afternoon.

I graduated HS in 1976. Some of my younger friends in the 55-60 range were saying the school closures remind them of the 1977-78 school year, with multi-week closures from the blizzard and low temperatures, and how there was an eerie apocalyptic feel to everything.

What is "I got you_______?

Was not much of a W fan (but I have certainly learned to like his former communications secretary, Nicole Wallace).Still having said that W's repsonse to whatever was shouted was great, "The people who knocked these buildings down are going to hear from us." (paraphrase)

And when W threw the pitch at a late season game or the World Series game, it was all money as he grooved one right down the middle, pretty hard and looked like a jock doing it. Loved it!

Zunardo - ' blizzard of '78 was something else. I am sure we have covered it but what a few days that was. Always worth remembering The Blizzard of '78. Not as many remember but ' Winter of '77 was equally furious. That was the cold year and the year that schools and businesses seem to run out of fuel. At New Reigel H.S. and countless others we started school an hour late every day and got out thirty minutes early because of the fuel situation. We also had a bone chilling five -six inch snow on a Fri. night, with very high winds that put everyone in lockdown. I especially remember the Friday night storm because I spent half of the night looking for a buddy. Found one.

Last edited:

Zunardo - ' blizzard of '78 was something else. I am sure we have covered it but what a few days that was. Always worth remembering The Blizzard of '78. Not as many remember but ' Winter of '77 was equally furious. That was the cold year and the year that schools and businesses seem to run out of fuel. At New Reigel H.S. and countless others we started school an hour late every day and got out thirty minutes early because of the fuel situation. We also had a bone chilling five -six inch snow on a Fri. night, with very high winds that put everyone in lockdown. I especially remember the Friday night storm because I spent half of the night looking for a buddy. Found one.

I was an aspiring sports writer at BGSU from 1973 to 1977. I vividly remember a major snowstorm/blizzard in the winter of 1977. Younger brother attended BG from 1976 to 1980, and he and 2 friends were trying to head home towards Cleveland and Youngstown that fateful weekend in the winter of '78, and got stranded in that blizzard before even reaching Fremont to get the Turnpike. Turns out they stayed in an old farmhouse for two nights out in the middle of nowhere ( but I guess everywhere was nowhere that weekend!), thanks to the kindness of an older gentleman and his wife, in front of whose house where their car had gotten waylaid in a snow drift.

Found this photo in my scrapbook, but it's likely from the winter of '75-'76, and if so, just a prelude to the two awful snowstorms that would follow the next two years:

BG Snowstorm.jpg

I don't like tragedy and there was some in all of these storms but nature's fury is something to behold.

Just doesn't seem to crank it up like back then.

Yes, that Blizzard of '78 was really something. You almost had to live through it to really understand the magnatute of the storm. I was teaching and coaching basketball at Maple Hts. at the time. We had a Wednesday night game at Shaker Hts. As we left Maple to head to the game, the snow really started coming down. As is usually the case, we got there early for the JV game. After the varsity game was played, we left the gym and went out to the bus to see an unbelievable amount of snow. We all helped the bus get out of the parking lot and got back to Maple Hts. OK (about 6-7 miles). Well, after getting off the bus, we went into the school and I waited for each of the players (varsity and junior varsity) to get a ride home. Needless to say, the parents had a very difficult time driving to the school to pickup their kids. I then turned on the security alarm (it was after 1:00 am) and headed for home. It did, however, think, "Who in the heck is going to break into this place in this weather?"

Then the "fun" part started. I was living in Cuyahoga Falls (outside of Akron and about 25 miles away). I started my drive home on the Interstate (I-480 and I-271) until I got to a "jackknived" truck that had closed the southbound lanes. Fortunately, I was able to negotiate around the problem and exit I-271 to attempt to use Route 8 (S) to get home. That was a futile effort, but fortunately one of the assistant football coaches lived within walking distance of the area where I got blocked. I went over to his apartment and found that two other people had the same idea. There was plenty of beer, bologna sandwiches and storytelling as we all just "hung out" that night and most of the following day. Finally, I was able to attempt to drive home. Long story short is that I left home at 6:15 am on Wednesday and didn't return until Thursday evening. It was really something and I'll bet that many others have similar experiences (that they'd rather not repeat). For those interested, we also lost the game, but got a couple of "snow days". :)

ROCK ON!

The snows were deeper, winds were stronger and the cold was more intense then. (The house I mentioned above had no insulation for another two years!)

Cilla Black - Alfie and Anyone Who Had A Heart. Sung live on You Tube with a very young Burt Bacharach conducting on Alfie. What a talent she was.

Rindo turns 80 in July; John would have in October.

Our Quiz days are far in the past except for an occasional flinger. Here are the lyrics to an album cut song that I liked a lot - although I was not into this band at all. We have discussed the group and have mentioned an odd fact concerning one of the members.

The Lyric is "Just a loud-mouth yankee; I went down to Mexico." I know the JB can answer this (and probably did before in some form) and I am confident he will when the rest of you slackers are done trying. :)

This is what happens when the games aren't on.

Last edited:
Very good, Slacker.! You would have been my second choice to get this so bravo. The odd fact concerned the invention of Liquid Paper by Mike Nesmith's mom, but you all knew that.

We are home and sick; couldn't even make it to fast food close by.

In light of what's going on in the world and the dull slate sky, with snow flurries this afternoon, it appeared that the apocalypse was upon us.

Was not much of a W fan (but I have certainly learned to like his former communications secretary, Nicole Wallace).Still having said that W's repsonse to whatever was shouted was great, "The people who knocked these buildings down are going to hear from us." (paraphrase)

Throwing the pitch out was cool also. Lt of jihadists there I suppose. Nice toss - looked like a back-door slider.
Every once in a while, the "strut" served him well.