Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

I think we're at the age when our mortal bodies are really showing who's boss. Our household is not excluded from health issues, either, as of late. I'm not used to having something go wrong that will be permanent. I'd better pull up a chair and get comfortable, though.

That said, I'll never sit back and allow my body to deteriorate without a fight. I'm on the trainer right now.

The writer Roger Kahn (TheBoys of Summer) has passed away at the age of 93.

We discussed Roger's baseball opus years ago. I related that when I read it in the 70's it did not resonate at all. Re-reading it within the last 10 years was totally different. I am tempted to say Zurnado said the same thing but my memory is faulty and usually wrong.

The book covered the team of that era, especially Jackie Robinson and the rest of the characters associated with the Dodgers. Tv was new but radio still was supreme. As was always said of those days of mostly day baseball, you could walk down the streets of N.Y and never miss a pitch because everyone had a radio in the window or was listennig out on the front porch.

From an article in the weekly The Week. Kahn's book covered "dem bums" in all their glory and ignominy in the 50's - ending with The Giants and The Dodgers heading to the West Coast.

Of course, this was a time when the ball players actually lived in the neighborhoods and of, course, the name Dodgers came from the arrival of the fans by streetcars and the "dodging" that ball game going pedestrians had to endure.

It's better than a good read. Like it said in the article, saying that "The Boys Of Summer" is a baseball book is in the same vein as saying Moby Dick is a fish book. Lot more going on here ... . Probably my favorite sports book.

RIP- Roger Kahn

The writer Roger Kahn (TheBoys of Summer) has passed away at the age of 93.
We discussed Roger's baseball opus years ago. I related that when I read it in the 70's it did not resonate at all. Re-reading it within the last 10 years was totally different. I am tempted to say Zurnado said the same thing but my memory is faulty and usually wrong.
Bevo, I do remember posting something about that here. Never forgot that second reading and how bittersweet it was.

I just checked - he missed being a Boy Of Summer by one year, but the youngest surviving Brooklyn Dodger appears to be Bob Aspromonte at 81.

Last edited:
Well, I'm getting fatter by the day so there doesn't need to be a day to call attention to it!

Try these:

Townes Van Zandt - Dollar Bill Blues

Mason Ruffner ( one of my wife's favs; check out the video for the song and you will see why) - Gypsy Blood

Well, I'm getting fatter by the day so there doesn't need to be a day to call attention to it!

Try these:

Townes Van Zandt - Dollar Bill Blues

Mason Ruffner ( one of my wife's favs; check out the video for the song and you will see why) - Gypsy Blood
Liked the Van Zandt.

I'll give you Duke Tumatoe & the All Star Frogs. We'd head up to South Chicago or down to Broad Ripple to see.

Well, it's finally March and that means "March Madness". Selection Sunday is two weeks from today, March 15 at 6:00 pm on TBS. Of course before then, we will "spring ahead" with our clocks for Daylight Savings Time (next Sunday).

Right now, I would guess that our biggest concern is the coronavirus. Hopefully, we'll be able to keep this under control in the United States. I did see the following article that makes me think this could really get bad:

ROCK ON!

Hope they play. Buckeyes have molded a delicate - yet - productive team out of its remaining parts

Bring on the Patriot League and their 2,500 seat venues! And, all of the rest of the dreamers. Best three weeks in sports all year!!

Note: Harmonies - Anything by The Hollies. Try, Look Through Any Window.

Giving a local shout-out to the Columbus State Community College men’s basketball team, who won the Great Lakes District championship over the weekend, qualifying for the NJCAA D-III National tournament March 12-14 in Rochester MN.

Head coach Ed Thompson notched his 100th won at Columbus State two weeks ago. This is his third trip in seven seasons leading The Cougars to the nationals.

Congrats to Bevo, Diva and all those from Upper Sandusky. The Rams won the district championship as Brett Montgomery hit a 3-pointer with 1.5 seconds remanining. The shot gave Upper an exciting 60-59 win over Norwalk. Upper, with only one loss this entire season, will meet Lima Shawnee on Thursday at BGSU (6:15).

Game article: https://thecourier.com/local-sports...s-game-winning-three-sends-rams-to-regionals/

Best of luck to Upper Sandusky in the regionals.

ROCK ON!

It was all of that and more!

Rams will take on, perhaps, the best DII team in the state in Lima Shawnee at BGSU Thursday at 6:15. We are prohibitive underdogs.

For those who have read the article, you notice that the final bucket was the only time Upper led.. Norwalk led by 13 in the third and was up 9 with a little over 5:00 minutes to play. I was there with my son. The explosion from the Upper side was deafening. It is why a sports' fan goes to literally thousands of games in a lifetime in hopes of witnessing something like this.

Thanks, OWK you know how we feel about this around here!!

Last edited:
Congrats to Upper. Tough road further on. Shawnee has beaten everyone in this corner either head on or by transition.

We had a bit of a screamer ourselves in the DI district. Eastside Waite kid coaching Sylvania Northview and Eastside Waite kid coaching Toledo Start. Scotty McDonald and Matt Wortham are going to be stars in this business.

Start went up two after a court drive and triple put-back, "no-time." Refs huddle gave .9 seconds. Yes folks, .9. Scotty McDonald for Northview dialed up one from the play ground. Put the QB (must have been) behind the line. Tossed a perfect length of court pass to some kid that tapped in from the student section. Had to because I didn't see him there. Half pivot, lay-up off the back-board, bright red light. Didn't know to laugh or cry. Start did pull it out in the OT though.

Last edited:
Saw that on WTOL clips. A screamer is right Can't see the Rams emerging but we will be there because until the Dieblers landed 15 years ago, Upper had never won a District. Hope the Buckeyes find some magic also. Also. locally it looks like the Willard and Buckeye Central girls are at State.

Appears to me that Upper could match Shawnee's two best but we can't match the next three or beyond. Let's toss it up and see what happens!

There's seemingly nothing like the excitement of Ohio tournament basketball, from the Districts, through the Regionals, and onto the State Final Four. Nice to see Upper Sandusky still in the mix.

Over here in my neck of the woods (Youngstown-Warren area), we have Division IV McDonald (22-3) taking on Lucas in one of the regional semi-finals this week in Canton. McDonald is led by coach's son and four-year starter Zach Rasile, a 6-footer who has committed to play at Division II powerhouse West Liberty State college in West Virginia next year.

Rasile was just named NEO Inland District Player of the Year in Division IV, and is averaging 38.3 ppg for the season. He has scored 34, 39, and 50 in McDonald's three tournament victories.

In the last two months, Rasile has passed, among others, Ohio legends LeBron James, Geno Ford, Jay Burson, and Luke Kennard to vault into second place all-time for career scoring. He now has 2,992 career points. But rest easy, Bevo and Diva and the rest, Jon Deibler's mark of 3,208 points appears a lock to be safe...Rasile's team would need to get to the state final game (4 games in all from here) and he'd need to average 54 ppg to tie Deibler. Not likely to happen, but the young man's achievement is nonetheless very impressive.

There's seemingly nothing like the excitement of Ohio tournament basketball, from the Districts, through the Regionals, and onto the State Final Four. Nice to see Upper Sandusky still in the mix.

Over here in my neck of the woods (Youngstown-Warren area), we have Division IV McDonald (22-3) taking on Lucas in one of the regional semi-finals this week in Canton. McDonald is led by coach's son and four-year starter Zach Rasile, a 6-footer who has committed to play at Division II powerhouse West Liberty State college in West Virginia next year.

Rasile was just named NEO Inland District Player of the Year in Division IV, and is averaging 38.3 ppg for the season. He has scored 34, 39, and 50 in McDonald's three tournament victories.

In the last two months, Rasile has passed, among others, Ohio legends LeBron James, Geno Ford, Jay Burson, and Luke Kennard to vault into second place all-time for career scoring. He now has 2,992 career points. But rest easy, Bevo and Diva and the rest, Jon Deibler's mark of 3,208 points appears a lock to be safe...Rasile's team would need to get to the state final game (4 games in all from here) and he'd need to average 54 ppg to tie Deibler. Not likely to happen, but the young man's achievement is nonetheless very impressive.

coldshoulder - Thanks for posting! I'm a little out of it concernng the Ohio scene and was not aware of Zach Rasile. Wow, he really sounds like a good one. His numbers are off the charts. West Liberty will be a great fit for him as they are among the nation's leading scoring teams every year.

ROCK ON!

After the Jon Diebler era at Upper, The Rams were led by Alex Falk. He also went to West Liberty, led the nation in scoring and was on very good teams there.

Funny, concerning J. Diebler and Rasile what playing for your dad can do as far as scoring. Not to be misunderstood but these "boys" were gym rats. For the right kid (girl or boy) that can lead to stardom.

Reminds me of some of the Pete Maravich stories - one of which was that Coach Press Maravich would put young Pete in the home gym, when Press' high school teams had away games. Thus, unlike most kids with coaching dads (or moms) tagging along to the games, Pete chose to stay behind and just work in the gym by himself. Could be five to six hours.

You mentioned Lucas - that's quite a story, also. The Cubs' girls were very good this year and they had two or three sisters playing. Guess who their coach was? That's right - mom.

Lucas' boys played in state final in football.

When I was at Hopewell-Loudon one year, I was sent to Lucas with another assistant football coach to scout. We got there late due to getting lost and other questionable reasons. I recall the football field was down in a valley. It was extremely foggy that night. We were also very foggy and did a less than adequate job. That ended my scouting career.

But back to the Cubs, Lucas was terrible in everything. I believe they may have had good baseball back in the day.

I have told the Tim Seder story before but it's a good Lucas Cub story. Seder kicked at Ashland Un. He got a p.e. job at tiny Lucas but continued to practice kicking and on a lark someone sent out a video of his kicking. The Cowboys (yes, those Cowboys) got a hold of the tape and invited Seder down. He made it through the slush pile and beat out a half dozen other kickers. Thus, Lucas P.E. teacher, Tim Seder, found himself in Dallas kicking. He lasted a couple of years. On a Thanksgiving day game the Cowboys faked a field goal and Seder scored. He was decent - accurate.

My other connection to all of this, was that Seder had a teacher in Ashland named Tom Kipplinger (Mr.K.) - good guy, sixth grade teacher who ran a year long, outside flag football and kickball leagues for the Lincoln Elementary students, This culminated every spring with the sixth graders and the teachers walking to a ball field several blocks away and having at it. Upon return, everyone ate ice cream outside.

T.Seder visited Lincoln one day to visit with Mr. K. and was kicking field goals over a power line on the all black top playground. Students were taking turns being his holder. I have a picture somewhere of this. Beyond cool!

Google Tim Seder for his somewhat amazing story. He is now 45 years old and a head coach.

Last edited:
After the Jon Diebler era at Upper, The Rams were led by Alex Falk. He also went to West Liberty, led the nation in scoring and was on very good teams there.

Funny, concerning J. Diebler and Rasile what playing for your dad can do as far as scoring. Not to be misunderstood but these "boys" were gym rats. For the right kid (girl or boy) that can lead to stardom.

Reminds me of some of the Pete Maravich stories - one of which was that Coach Press Maravich would put young Pete in the home gym, when Press' high school teams had away games. Thus, unlike most kids with coaching dads (or moms) tagging along to the games, Pete chose to stay behind and just work in the gym by himself. Could be five to six hours.

You mentioned Lucas - that's quite a story, also. The Cubs' girls were very good this year and they had two or three sisters playing. Guess who their coach was? That's right - mom.

Lucas' boys played in state final in football.

When I was at Hopewell-Loudon one year, I was sent to Lucas with another assistant football coach to scout. We got there late due to getting lost and other questionable reasons. I recall the football field was down in a valley. It was extremely foggy that night. We were also very foggy and did a less than adequate job. That ended my scouting career.

But back to the Cubs, Lucas was terrible in everything. I believe they may have had good baseball back in the day.

I have told the Tim Seder story before but it's a good Lucas Cub story. Seder kicked at Ashland Un. He got a p.e. job at tiny Lucas but continued to practice kicking and on a lark someone sent out a video of his kicking. The Cowboys (yes, those Cowboys) got a hold of the tape and invited Seder down. He made it through the slush pile and beat out a half dozen other kickers. Thus, Lucas P.E. teacher, Tim Seder, found himself in Dallas kicking. He lasted a couple of years. On a Thanksgiving day game the Cowboys faked a field goal and Seder scored. He was decent - accurate.

My other connection to all of this, was that Seder had a teacher in Ashland named Tom Kipplinger (Mr.K.) - good guy, sixth grade teacher who ran a year long, outside flag football and kickball leagues for the Lincoln Elementary students, This culminated every spring with the sixth graders and the teachers walking to a ball field several blocks away and having at it. Upon return, everyone ate ice cream outside.

T.Seder visited Lincoln one day to visit with Mr. K. and was kicking field goals over a power line on the all black top playground. Students were taking turns being his holder. I have a picture somewhere of this. Beyond cool!

Google Tim Seder for his somewhat amazing story. He is now 45 years old and a head coach.
Tim Seder's father was the HS principal at Lucas in the early 90s. I am a Lucas graduate, and the same age as Seder. What a great story, tiny HS P.E. teacher making it to the NFL. I remember it well. I remember watching him kick FGs after football practice. Tim was also an assistant football coach for Lucas.

Ironically, Ashland ties into my story as well. My son, Logan Niswander, has accepted an offer to play football there for Lee Owens. Logan has had quite the HS career so far. 2 time All-Ohio in football, he was the QB/SS on our DVII State Runner-Up football team, and a Division 1 level right-handed pitcher with a 90+ mph fastball. He also will be a two-time All-Ohioan in Basketball, Lucas' all-time leading career scorer and set the school records for points and 3s in a game. He was the NW districts POY in D4.

All that being said, I appreciate reading stories about our little one-stop-light town. We have been on quite a run and look forward to hopefully making some more noise vs McDonald today and in the near future.

Take care.

The boy sounds good! Surely, with a heater like that, the Bigs know of him. Sounds like the Lucas / McDonald game will be one to see. I am sure several of us will be checking the box

As I said, I have been to Lucas once in my life. Good luck with Logan's future. Lee Owens has made the rounds. He coached at Galion back in the day and won two state titles. Back in those days, Galion and Upper were both charter members of the old eight-team N.O.L. (Northern Ohio League). Included with the Tigers and the Rams were: Tiffin Columbian, Bucyrus, Norwalk, Shelby, Bellevue, and Willard. At one time it was one of the oldest continuous leagues in Ohio
Glad things are going very well athletically for the Cubs.

coldshoulder - nice to have you checking in! Kind comments for the Rams so thanks for that. As for catching J. Diebler, a player would have to play for his dad, and be in a rootin', tootin' and shootin' offense for all four years. Coach Keith D., said he wanted eighty possessions a game. He also enjoyed stopping games when the Rams had 99 - just to be "sporty'. I believe it was Bellevue coach Lyle Faulknor - no slouch himself in coaching circles - who said, "They are a lot of fun to watch - unless you're sitting on the other bench." If you are a ball fan, you also know that brother Jake was on the championship team and holds the Ohio record for assists. Also, Mount Union "Heisman" winner, Greg Michelli was a starter along with two other players who had D IIIoffers to play hoops. Players six, seven and eight weren't too shabby either. I believe you could say it was one of Ohio's all-time better teams.

It's a great time to be a ball fan! Good luck to the Cubs and Rams!!

Last edited:
Tim Seder's father was the HS principal at Lucas in the early 90s. I am a Lucas graduate, and the same age as Seder. What a great story, tiny HS P.E. teacher making it to the NFL. I remember it well. I remember watching him kick FGs after football practice. Tim was also an assistant football coach for Lucas.

Ironically, Ashland ties into my story as well. My son, Logan Niswander, has accepted an offer to play football there for Lee Owens. Logan has had quite the HS career so far. 2 time All-Ohio in football, he was the QB/SS on our DVII State Runner-Up football team, and a Division 1 level right-handed pitcher with a 90+ mph fastball. He also will be a two-time All-Ohioan in Basketball, Lucas' all-time leading career scorer and set the school records for points and 3s in a game. He was the NW districts POY in D4.

All that being said, I appreciate reading stories about our little one-stop-light town. We have been on quite a run and look forward to hopefully making some more noise vs McDonald today and in the near future.

Take care.

dnis30 - Thanks for adding to the discussion. Sounds like your son is quite an athlete. Congrats! Wishing you and your son the best of luck. As for the Lucas-McDonald game, well, let's hope that it's well-played. I can't take sides here since longtime AARPster coldshoulder is a McDonald fan. All I know is that there will be a lot of excitement at Canton Fieldhouse, one of the great high school venues.

ROCK ON!

coldshoulder - Good luck to McDonald

(Not that anyone is checking homework but I believe I blabbered that Willard's and Buckeye Central's girls are in the state finals. They are not.)

After tonight's games, the rest of the tournaments will have limited spectator seating - immediate families only. This will include the rest of the Regionals and apparently the girls' State finals.

In what may be the last high school game played in front of a crowd this year, Lucas 47 McDonald 45. Wow! Jubilation and abject suffering.

McDonald coach Rasile complains of no-call at the end.

Son Zach just takes it in stride: “We could have gotten a foul call on the last shot, but I’m not gonna blame the game on it by any means,” Zach Rasile said. “We obviously could have done a lot of things better. I could have done a lot of things better, had some more shots, but we’ve got nothing to be ashamed of. I’m proud of these guys.”

From: https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/high-school-sports/2020/03/no-call-on-final-play-dooms-mcdonald/

Here's a look (from another thread) of the final shot attempt:

1583933211901.png

Where is that paper from? From the quotes of Zack it sounds like West Liberty is getting a pretty decent leader, also.

McDonald coach Rasile complains of no-call at the end.

Here's a look (from another thread) of the final shot attempt:

Barn-burner? Sounds like one of my horrifying cliches from the Hamilton Township football threads on the Huddle. :cool:

I watched the highlight video from the game thread in the Basketball section. At first I thought there'd been a mistake about the photo being of the last play - turned out I was watching a McDonald shot with 22 seconds left. Once I got the right play cued up, I'd have to agree it should have been a foul.

Last edited: