Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Finally..."Then one foggy Christmas Eve Santa came to say... ."

Quarter mile visibility around here. If you're going to church watch yourselves.

Merry Christmas to the AARP gang!!
Wow - pea soup set in early at your location. I'm up in the control tower at Port Columbus doing weather observations on this Christmas Eve - 9 miles visibility here, but that will change later on. Hopefully Rudolph has the fog light working tonight.

Well, that was interesting. We were on an airplane heading to Columbus during the game, so there were cheers when good things happened. We watched the game until we landed at halftime.

That's about all I can say about that game except I think we were robbed.

Tree is coming down tomorrow if I have the energy to do that. My mom had it down the next day every year.

I had to check and make sure the Indians didn't lose too.

Dobbins with two "drops" that lead to six instead of 14 points. The fumble recovery and return for a t.d - NOT. The running into the kicker. The "target" hit. And, it looked to me like the receiver was going to be open if he had gone the other way at the end.

The Browns are a difficult team to like right now. Freddy can rest on whatever it is the Haslams still owe him.

Basketball Buckeyes looked lethargic and sloppy. What was wrong with Carton? Good to see Holtman and Huggins have a nice exchange at the end. I respect them both. Word has it that there is someone on here who coached with Bob H.

The saga of the tree - we start putting things away slowly. Tree will be up through next weekend. Outside lights stay on until Jan. 31. Hoping for some snow to make a nice winter tableau.

When I was around 7 or 8, I was face up, under the tree losing myself in the shimmer of the ornaments and managed to pull the tree over on top of me. I was whipped like a hungry street urchin from a Dickens' story. One the dust settled my dad inserted two eye screws about five feet apart in the corner, approx. three feet off the floor, where the tree sat. Then, every year once the tree was up, he would wind twine around the tree a loop or two and then tie each end to and tie each end to a screw . It must have worked because I never pulled it over again! :)

I put Halloween/fall lights out right after Labor Day, followed very quickly with the Christmas lights the first of Nov. That's five months!

Last edited:
What a shame your experience under the tree was followed by such trauma.

We had a cat who was with us from the time she was 6 weeks until nearly 18 years. She liked climbing the tree as a kitten and knocked the tree over, as did our family cat when I was young.

How about that storm! Kept me awake, and the air pressure is messing with my head.

Hey, how's everyone's year starting out? Must be pretty busy; I hear crickets on here.

My husband is getting over a bad cold, enough to keep him from work, which seldom happens.

Enjoy the sun and give to a cause in Australia if you are so inclined.

I gave to that one, Steve Irwin's animal hospital.

Where is everyone?

A very good question, Diva! I'm just settling in back in Florida after more than three weeks in Ohio. I did see Bevo on TV while in the Buckeye State. I think he was at one of the football bowl games. :)

Here's something that our group might find interesting. It's all the top tunes from the 1970s:

ROCK ON!

Last edited:
Diva - we're old, cold, tired and boring! :)

I thought you were playing the Jeopardy championship test with us as the Jep. championship was held the past two weeks.

Your answer(question) was "Where Is Everyone?"

Answer - what was the title of the very first episode of the Twilight Zone Oct. 2, 1959, Starring Earl Holliman: Answe r- "Where Is Everyone?"

Earl Holliman, you may recall, teamed up with Angie Dickinson later on in a cop series , where Ang's name was Peper. And she was a fine spice, indeed

This initial episode of The Twilight Zone was quite good and had a twist at the end. I won't fill in the blanks; some of you may recall it. I have seen it many times over the years and I believe eight-year-old me saw it that very night. This episode set a great tone for one of the best series ever. Google it.

(For those keeping score, north central Ohio had quite a snowstorm this weekend a year ago.)

Last edited:
^^^And, that "Twilight Zone" episode was based on a famous Arby's TV commercial...or was it the other way around? ;)
Q: "Where is everyone?"
A: "Arby's. Roast beef sale."

Speaking of the "Jeopardy GOAT" tournament, I was rooting for Ken Jennings and glad he won. James was a formidable opponent. Those two were incredible. Poor Brad was never really a factor.

Ah. I'm not alone.

I watched Ken and the guys on Jeopardy!, too. Normally, I can hold my own on a lot of the questions on that show. The championship show? No way! I knew about five answers.

I flew in from the west today. My daughter is sick and needed help. We actually couldn't land at the airport on one flight (SLC). We got to within about 50 feet off the ground, then up we went again! After 20 minutes and three more tries, the pilot was able to land in horrible winds. I have to admit, it made me quite nervous. I've never been in a plane that was FISHTAILING in the air! Major kudos to the Southwest pilot who didn't try to land when he didn't feel confident that he could do it safely.

At my advanced age, I have NEVER flown. Your story is why. I have come close a couple of times and circumstances have prevented it. Fate means a lot to me.

Diva and OWK - The Ram boys beat Bellevue tonight for the program's 1,000th win. I believe Diva and I saw over a hundred of those during the Deibler reign in Upper. Pretty unusual if you think about it - that we would have seen more than one-tenth of the school's total wins. Those all came in a six-year period.

I went to the game last night with my son, Sam. It was a "showdown" against Col. Crawford for league supremacy. It was 27- 4 after one, Upper., needless to say, cruised to win number 999 Friday night.

This team is pretty good but no comparison to John, Jake , Keith and the rest of those boys. Keith always said he wanted between 80-100 shots a game and they usually got them. Sam reminded me again last night that Keith would also tell the guys that he wanted to give the other team 32 minutes of Hell - and they usually did. Always fun to walk into the gym and see the state champs (27-0) picture up on the wall. Of course, that includes Sam as a third grade (but first rate) ball boy.

I believe Keith is coaching at Lakeside, around Port Clinton; and, of course, John is a Euro league star making some great bucks, as is Jake as an OSU assistant. Not too shabby.

For a small town basketball fan, it was the greatest show on earth!!!

Last edited:
It really was. I loved that era and I miss it.

My experience on the plane was rare; 99.9% of my flights have been nothing more than a little turbulence.

I used to want to get my pilot's license so bad when I was single, but I couldn't afford it. Cruising above the earth is one of my favorite things to see.

Being underwater is also something I enjoy, but not really far down. I bought a wetsuit last month, and I'll start using it this year, probably. Hubby has had one for years and goes to Lake Erie to practice open water swimming, or we go down to the Gulf in FL. I'll join him in the water instead of in a kayak next time. I admit I'm afraid of critters in the water.

They're not quite as scary when they're around you as opposed to below you and you're not struggling to swim or float or for breath, all you have to do is float still and watch. They are magnificent. And it's less wavy. I don't do well with waves.

As you describe in the air, you are flying above the Earth but without the noise or effort. If you've ever been in a glider, it's like that with spherical views. It's a bonding experience not just with your dive partner but with the whole team and the boat. I'd highly recommend a boat trip that goes out for a few days. It lessens time spent on the rougher part of the trip, in and out of port, loading and unloading equipment. And there's good food and drink. You'll love it.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great way to spend January. I've never been but anyone I know has, loved it. They might have certification programs since they could use the pools and dive at stops but since hubby is already certified that part wouldn't exactly be a together thing. Now if you got certified BEFORE going....

When that water is clear, there's no fear of critters. I've swam with sharks, barracuda (they're funny), it's the little stuff and bad dive partners you have to watch for. Now if you get a chance to do a night dive, well it's ocean. A little extra pee won't hurt it. ;)

The wife and I had an enjoyable weekend - we were out three nights in a row listening to live bands. That's a first for us.

Had a long lunch yesterday with two former co-workers, one of which became the last of us to retire last month, and all three of us are interested in music. The oldest one, who's been in the Columbus music scene over 55 years, said he's going to start up another band playing just 60's and 70's tunes. He said, "I figure we'll have a steady list of gigs playing all of the "animal bars", and the other guy nodded.

I was stumped, and asked him if he meant rough dives. He said, "No - animal bars. You know, Moose Lodge, Eagles lodge, Lion's Clubs, Owls, ...... "

I am so naive. ?

I like that! Everyone who was in a band in the 60's should have kept their equipment because you could play whenever you wanted to now.

I have discussed my Spiegel's Mail Order Cataloge drum kit before. Came home one day my soph. year and it was in a huge box on the front porch. Cost around $200 and was paid for with %12 a month payments by my folks. Actually a decent set - all red and sparkly. Took two lessons from a guy named Denny Moore at $1.50 for 45 minutes and off I went into oblivion.
Sold it a few years later for around $40.

Still can't for the life of me understand why my parents let me have it but I am glad they did. It was fun!!!!

(Zunardo - your friend must have come into contact with The Dantees, a premier Columbus cover band that opened for some pretty big acts. Check out their version of Under My Thumb - I actually believe Music Mike does the into.)

I loved all of those bands and have spoken at length about Findlay's Nite Watchmen on here. Their origina song "I;m Gonna Lose Me Mind" can be Googled

Last edited:
Certainly awful quiet in this thread recently (and I'm guilty as charged :cautious:).

Nobody commented on the passing of Rush's drummer extraordinaire Neal Peart. He was a masterful musician, arguably among the top-5 or at least top-10 drummers of all time in the rock genre. He also penned most, if not all of Rush's lyrics, and in that vein, truly stretched the boundaries of rock music into some new and non-traditional areas, from the late 70's into the 90's.

Although vocalist Geddy Lee's shrieking sound didn't endear itself to everybody, I nonetheless really liked Rush's early work, and still followed somewhat as they became more progressive and avant-garde. As Peart and his mates continued to experiment over the years, he remained dedicated and focused on his drumming craft, and was renowned for his innovation, stamina, and technical proficiency, so much so that he was inducted into the Modern Drummer Readers Poll Hall of Fame in 1983, the youngest person ever so honored.

His unfortunate death has inspired me to revisit both some of my Rush favorites, and some other songs I have come to appreciate. RIP Neal !

Likewise, the tragic death of Kobe Bryant has caused some look-back and introspection at what was a great basketball career, driven by his fierce competitiveness and determination to become one of the all-time greats. I was always a big Lakers fan back in the 80's when Magic and Bird were getting after it, and while not as passionate about them as I once was, I have always kept my eyes on them as the years have passed. Like every human being, Kobe had his faults (and that alleged rape incident in Denver), but he seemingly became a better person as his career wound down; and he apparently was on track in his retirement to being, again, a champion, in all areas of his life.

As have so many others, I was touched by the many stories and vignettes of Kobe's dedication to being a singularly great father to all of his daughters, as the hashtag #girldad was trending strong on Twitter last week, and you'll see T-shirts declaring the same popping up all over soon. It just so happens that my only son and daughter-in-law just found out recently they are pregnant with what will be identical twins (my first grandchildren!), but still were waiting to learn/know the gender. The male gene is quite dominant on my side of the family, so I've kind of been hoping for two little granddaughters; and after reading and hearing of Kobe's relationship with his daughters, and so many others who shared similar stories, that made my feelings for two little girls even stronger. Alas, they found out this week they will be having two boys.

I'm thrilled, no less, but I feel a great deal of sorrow for Kobe Bryant's widow and the three daughters he leaves behind.

P.S. : Happy Super Bowl !

Last edited:
Agree with that! I was heavily involved with both of my kids (girl and boy) but I would classify myself as being a girl dad. She was the first born and I was ecstatic when she popped out. (We didn't know.)

On another note - not as great as coldsholder's pronouncement - we went out today to look a small piece of property for whatever; i.e., pond (OWK will swallow hard on that since I have been talking about it for 20 years) or a house, cabin, etc. Mom wants a place at the lake. I was a pond kid growing up and my first wife's parents had a lake of several acres that was big enough for water skiing (which I could do 50 years ago) and had a great population of bass, bluegill, etc.) I think Lake Erie is just too far away plus property is extremely expensive. Don't like the idea of an unattended place either. This has been our major ongoing battle the last few years.

C.S. - congrats again!!

On another note - not as great as coldsholder's pronouncement - we went out today to look a small piece of property for whatever; i.e., pond (OWK will swallow hard on that since I have been talking about it for 20 years) or a house, cabin, etc. Mom wants a place at the lake. I was a pond kid growing up and my first wife's parents had a lake of several acres that was big enough for water skiing (which I could do 50 years ago) and had a great population of bass, bluegill, etc.) I think Lake Erie is just too far away plus property is extremely expensive. Don't like the idea of an unattended place either. This has been our major ongoing battle the last few years.

Bevo - Wishing you the best in your search to secure some property. I'm sure your decision on a pond will be easier than the last night. At least this time, building an in-ground swimming pool isn't an option (or at least I hope not). :)

coldshoulder - Congrats on the twins that are "on the way". This is meant to be funny, so don't take it at face value. Here goes! There's a reason that grandparents and grandchildren get along so well...they have a common enemy. :) Just kidding and I'm sure you'll love the twins and vice-versa.

Pretty good Super Bowl, especially if you're a Chiefs fan. Game was exciting, but one play was instrumental in determining the outcome. Sure there was a replay of the KC touchdown in the last minutes of the game, but I'm sure 49er fans will be critical of the call and review. Whatever the case, the Chiefs won their first World's Championship in 50 years (31-20). Congrats to the Chiefs and their coach Andy Reid, one of the really good guys in the game.

ROCK ON!

It just so happens that my only son and daughter-in-law just found out recently they are pregnant with what will be identical twins (my first grandchildren!), but still were waiting to learn/know the gender. The male gene is quite dominant on my side of the family, so I've kind of been hoping for two little granddaughters; and after reading and hearing of Kobe's relationship with his daughters, and so many others who shared similar stories, that made my feelings for two little girls even stronger. Alas, they found out this week they will be having two boys.

I'm thrilled, no less ...

Not yet a grandparent myself, but feel like one. My youngest sibling is much younger than me and was almost 30 when she had her first child. Like the Bryants, she and her husband have four young daughters, including 3-year-old identical twins! (By contrast, my kid is 25, lol.) Regardless of whether your grandchildren are boys or girls, though, I can attest to the fact that identical twins are a hoot! Piece of advice to your son and daughter-in-law: You better paint one newborn’s toenail, or you’ll never figure out who’s who when bathing them, lol!

Congrats!

Thought I'd throw this out thereby proving to the rest of the board who visits that we aren't all deceased. We have been neglectful noting the passing of some of the musical icons that we have discussed in the past 20 years. So, I thought I would note the passing of 84 year old Bob Shane. The name may not ring a bell but for many of us the Kingston Trio - which Shane shared in founding - was one group that probably caught the ears of many of us as we became avid music listners.

The trio chose the name Kingston because it wished to play calypso music. After doing Tom Dooley (which concerns a murder during Civil War times), however, their manager said, "Forget that. You're folk singers now."

Certainly a forerunner of the 60's folkies. Rip - Bob Shane

(Big swath of snow - they say - coming through Wed. night and Thurs. Six plus inches!!)

My parents were big fans of the fifties and sixties folk music when I was growing up. Dad had many albums by The Kingston Trio, The Limeliters, Peter, Paul & Mary and others. They still have an old home movie of me and my brothers singing Tom Dooley, circa 1962. Good memories from my childhood.

RIP Bob Shane.

I had a difficult finding a good copy of this album many moons ago,
the Trio's Christmas album. "Last Month Of The Year"
Track ...
A
1."Bye Bye Thou Little Tiny Child"
2."The White Snows of Winter"
3."We Wish You a Merry Christmas"
4."All Through the Night"
5."Goodnight My Baby"
6."Go Where I Send Thee"
B
1."Follow Now, Oh Shepherds"
2."Somerset Gloucestershire Wassail"
3."Mary Mild"
4."A Round About Christmas"
5."Sing We Noel"
6."The Last Month of the Year"

A little fun... along with the man behind the voice of "that Oscar winning rabbit" ~ Bugs Bunny...

Brother can you spare a nickle....

:>---

EGA

Last edited: