Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

I believe “The Stroll” was recorded by The Diamonds, who also had the big hit “Little Darlin’”.

ROCK ON!
OWK,

As your name would indicate, you are definitely " One Who Knows" and you have once again proved it with
coming up with The Diamonds as the group who had the hit, "The Stroll" which reached #4 in 1958. This Canadian group
had 15 hits reach the Top 40 in the U.S. with their biggest hit being "Little Darlin' " peaking at #2 in 1957.

I also have to tell you that by just knowing the answer to this question you are not only "one who knows", but one who is
one of the seniors on this forum, lol. Good work, as always.

JB

I liked Mandolin Wind - don't know if I have ever hard it before. The old songs and rockers were so good!

I had a Rod Stewart album from around '75 called, I believe Every Picture Tells A Story. I can recall very clearly around '68 Christmas shopping with a friend and hearing Itchy Koo Park. Rod's been around forever and didn't The Stones' Ronnie Wood play with Small Faces or just Faces?

I saw Time Magazine's top ten songs of the year in the last issue. Not only did I not know any of the songs, I also did not know any of the performers!!

Bevo,

If you had, or still have the Rod Stewart album "Every Picture Tells a Story", "Mandolin Wind" is on that album. It's one of my
all time favorite albums ever. I think we may have talked about "Mandolin Wind" previously on here. Certainly an under rated song in my opinion. I think it should have been released as a single actually.

You mention Ron Wood and wondered if he played with "The Small Faces" or just " Faces" as they later came to be known. The original "Small Faces" had one song chart in the U.S. back in'68 called "Itchycoo Park" which peaked at #16. At that time neither Rod Stewart or Ron Wood were part of the group. However, when Steve Marriott the lead singer left to form "Humble Pie", the band added both Rod the Mod and Ron Wood both of whom had been part of The Jeff Beck Group. Interestingly enough, the band originally called themselves "The Small Faces" because all of the members were very short in stature (all 5'6" or less) but when Stewart and Wood joined, they certainly weren't giants in height, but they both towered over the other original "small" faces. The group essentially morphed into just "Faces" dropping the "small". As the Faces , featuring Rod Stewart as the new lead vocalist had two Top 40 hits in the U.S. , " I Know I'm Losing You" and "Stay With Me". Rod Stewart began releasing singles under his name while still a member of Faces, Ron Wood toured with The Rolling Stones in '75 and officially joined the Stones in 1976. The Faces eventually faded away as original members joined other groups notably drummer Kenney Jones replacing Keith Moon in "The Who" and stayed for a few years.

I can relate to Time Magazine's top 10 song list for 2019 that you mentioned and you are not alone in not knowing any of the
songs or artists from the list. I'm in the same boat as you. Our grand daughter gave Mrs JB her Christmas wish list and as I glanced at it the other night, I saw she had requested an album by The Arctic Monkeys among other things and of course she
requested it on vinyl as all of her friends are now into vinyl. Mrs. JB asked if I was familiar with this group ( we assume it's a group). I just smiled and asked if she could hum a few bars of one of the songs from the album. This lead into a discussion of how little we both know of today's pop charts and "little" is a stretch in my case as I know absolutely nothing of today's music.
We both have satellite radios in our cars and I listen to nothing but Oldies, Blues, or Outlaw Country and since the week before Thanksgiving Mrs. JB has all her stations set on Christmas Carols non stop !

This dog is just too old to learn new tricks I guess .

JB

Surprisingly enough, I just saw an interview with a member of the Arctic Monkeys. All I recall is that he hated the name!

Thought you might jump on Joan Osborn (I would!) and her rendition of What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted? Find it live; she also has a great duo of Heatwave with some other guy I don't know. Rather sexy!

I'll pass on Vega's Gypsy (thought you might check that one out, Diva.) It's good storytelling.

I like the Christmas channels but I go get tired of many of the repeats - you can keep your Jingle Bell Rock, I Saw Mommy Kissin Santa Claus, Grandma Got..., Holly Jolly Christmas, Frosty, Rudolph, Blue Christmas et. al., If I don't stop I'll run through the entire group!

I am partial to The Christmas Song, White Christmas, We Need A Little Christmas, Over The River, etc. Become more nostalgic as the years shoot by - even for the time I wasn't here yet.

I don't think Bowie and Bing or Nat King Cole will ever get old for me but generally, I stick to my CDs. A cappella, Jingle Bell Jazz, Mannheim Steamroller...

I'll check out Gypsy, Bevo.

My favorite Christmas song is "O Holy Night". Wonderful song to sing, especially at the end of the last verse when you go up to the high note and let it ring through the room before coming down to the end

My husband and I orchestrated that song for a performance many years ago. I loved doing that, adding portions of "We Three Kings" played by oboes in there. I love orchestrating. My dad played violin in the Boise Philharmonic, and I grew up with what I call "ballet music". Our oldest child could not fall asleep when she was about three years old without the radio softly playing ballet music on the classical station. She was also in ballet at that time. To this day I love classical music and will listen to that over the junk music that's popular now

I never listen to music anymore. It makes me miss my performing days too much. There is a restaurant in town that has live music on Thursday nights that I'd like to do. It will have to be when hubby is way less busy than he is now. He's doing the job of two people until Feb. 1. That date can't come soon enough in that regard.

Some poor soul smashed into a pole at the Catholic school a while ago. I'm watching it from my bedroom window. It was a huge crash that sent me looking to see if our neighbor's house had a gas explosion! Police, firemen, EMTs, and tow people are all taking care of things.

Diva - I have learned over the years that suggesting movies, restaurants, songs, etc., is not really a smart thing to do. It presupposes that I know what others like and none us truly do - except maybe with a spouse or partner and even then. Still, it is an attempt to say look what I found. So, I'll keep on offering and presupposing at risk of a shrug. :)

Try to find a live performance of Gypsy - there are several on You Tube. None of these is it but someone said they were at one of her concerts and she announced that the subject of the song was in the audience. How cool!

My daughter is the Christmas queen! She decorates her living room and watches every Christmas special and has her radios on every Christmas station. I sent her a card yesterday and she jokingly said, "It will be the only one on the frig.!" Hard to find someone when you are in school full time, working 3x12's a week and interning. She is a catch - 29; never been married, no kids. Smart, cute and funny. Anyone know anyone... . Brought to you by the father of the Christmas Queen.

I had Mooh's surgery last week on the left side of my face. Probably some of you have had this or know someone who has. This is my third go, over the last ten years. Rather than a gross removal, the surgeon cuts until he finds "clear margins." They slice and view under a microscope until he gets that clear margin. This one took three cuts. Still pretty sore.

Also, on my recommendation on Joan Osborn doing What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted, featuring The Funk Brothers backing Joan, I said that another good one of hers was Heatwave. It is but the one that is sexy - not dirty - is her duo on Beast of Burden. It is really good.

Last edited:
My favorite Christmas song is "O Holy Night". Wonderful song to sing, especially at the end of the last verse when you go up to the high note and let it ring through the room before coming down to the end

I love just about any version of O Holy Night.

Little Drummer Boy, Hark the Herald Angels Sing.....a couple more of my favorites that I never tire of!

Lots of great Christmas music in the ole memory banks - and a few stinkers. Probably the worst of the bunch was "Santa Jaws" by Dickie Goodman in late 1975, an ill-advised attempt to capitalize on the success of the earlier summer movie blockbuster.

I loved the songs in the Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol special, even if I didn't understand the subtleties when I watched it as a child. When this came out, it was a little easier to pick up on:

I had Mooh's surgery last week on the left side of my face. Probably some of you have had this or know someone who has. This is my third go, over the last ten years. Rather than a gross removal, the surgeon cuts until he finds "clear margins." They slice and view under a microscope until he gets that clear margin. This one took three cuts. Still pretty sore.

Hope that you are feeling better, Bevo. As you would guess, Mohs surgery is really common in South Florida. Lots of folks with different types of skin cancer down here. All one can hope is that it's not the melanoma that is discovered. Wishing you the best!

Man, Christmas songs! There are a bunch that I like: "Do You Hear What I Hear", "Little Drummer Boy", "Sleigh Ride" (by the Ronettes), Elvis' "Blue Christmas", Darlene Love's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home") and Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town". In fact, I'll actually miss Darlene Love's annual performance of her Christmas song on late-night TV. Her performance of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home") on Letterman was an annual event for almost 30-years. Hopefully, Jimmy Fallon will step up again this year and invite Darlene Love to perform.

ROCK ON!

I heard Darlene Love interviewed and she said she was very perturbed over a recent snub by NBC as far as doing the song on something.

We have covered this for years. But the nights when Love sang "Christmas" on Letterman, were also the nights that Jay Thomas told his Lone Ranger story. Classic - if you can find it.

I heard Darlene Love interviewed and she said she was very perturbed over a recent snub by NBC as far as doing the song on something.

We have covered this for years. But the nights when Love sang "Christmas" on Letterman, were also the nights that Jay Thomas told his Lone Ranger story. Classic - if you can find it.

Yep Bevo, that annual Letterman Show with Jay Thomas and Darlene Love was really a treat. Jay Thomas' Lone Ranger story is one of the best. (y)

ROCK ON!

What a lousy day for sports in the Buckeye State. Ohio State's basketball team, in position to move up to #2 or maybe even #1 in the country, lost at Minnesota 84-71. No surprise that the Bengals lost to the Patriots (34-13), but the Brownies once again laid an egg. Favored by 3-points, they lost at Arizona 38-24. Now it's almost certain that the Browns won't win more games (7) than they did last season. What a huge disappointment!

And how could I have forgotten another one of those "unconventional" Christmas songs? For the Doo Wop crowd, you'd have to add The Drifters' "White Christmas"to the list:

ROCK ON!

I don't think Bowie and Bing or Nat King Cole will ever get old for me but generally, I stick to my CDs. A cappella, Jingle Bell Jazz, Mannheim Steamroller...
I still cringe whenever they show the forced banter between Bing and Ziggy during the televised introduction, but the song itself has grown on me.

My go-to is my set of cassette tapes filled with WTVN-AM's annual 36-hour Yule music marathon - the good stuff from the 1960's. That was a long-time tradition until they ended it maybe 10 years ago. One of tapes I made on Christmas Eve 1983 still gives me shivers when I listen to it - during the breaks, the station announcer would intone "Currently .... 0 degrees. The high today will be ... 0. The high tomorrow ... 0" Brrr!

I have been to Okefenokee Swamp and Weechi Watchi Springs - anyone?
No but I think photos of those mermaids sped up my puberty a bit. Anyone else remember the old Peach Section in the Toledo Blade?

Dove some springs just north of there, 120 ft down a tube shaped like a pipe stem, the top of the pipe bowl we were told at 75 ft depth. The spring feeder a rush coming from further below. CRYSTAL clear water, clear enough with flashlight we could see knife scratching at the top of that pipe bowl (that's 45 feet of water), divers that went just a bit too far over the spring feed and got shot into the bowl instead of up the stem. So went the story we were told.

Just checking in...I've been real busy,was in the middle-east for a couple of weeks.

speaking of Christmas music; I saw on the news this AM that Maria Carey's recording
of "All I Want For Christmas Is You" has reached the top (#1) on the charts.
Noted was the last Christmas recording to do this was in 1958, by Ross Bagdasarian Sr.
(AKA David Seville) "The Chipmunk Song" (Christmas Don't Be Late).
Dave: Alright Chipmunks, ready to sing the new version of your song?
Simon: You know we are, yeah, lets sing it now!
Dave: Alright Simon?
Simon: Alright
Dave: Alright Theodore?
Theodore: Alright
Dave: Alright Alvin?...Alvin?...ALVIN!
Alvin: Oh Yeah!
Christmas, Christmas time is near,

Time for toys and time for cheer.
We've been good, but we can't last,
Hurry Christmas, Hurry fast.
Want a plane that loops the loop,
Me, I want a Hula-Hoop.
We can hardly stand the wait,
Please Christmas don't be late.
Hey, Hey, ohhh come on!
(Guitar Solo)

Dave: Guys that was excellent

Simon great work
Simon: Naturally!
Dave: Theodore good job
Theodore: He He He He
Dave: Alvin, you were a little flat
watch it, Alvin... Alvin?...ALVIN!

Alvin: 2, 3, 4!
Christmas, Christmas time is near,

Time for toys and time for cheer.
We've been good, but we can't last,
Hurry Christmas, Hurry fast.
Want a plane that loops the loop,
I still wanting a Hula-Hoop.
Don't be late ...
CHRISTMAS DON'T BE LATE!

:>--

SF

Loved the Chipmunks' song!

Mom home from school for the second day in a row for snow! It's the only time that anyone is ever ecstatic when the phone rings at 5:45 a.m.

So far today she has told me to shovel the driveway and go into town to clean our daughter's car. She apparently has forgotten that I saw my cardiologist last week. Today will last longer than yesterday. :)

About teaching today - it'more than a tough job - but in these cases someone actually calls you and tells you to stay home from your job. If you haven't had kids or grandkids in school for a while, most districts, if not all, are on automatic notifications.

Why, when I was a boy we had to get up and turn on the radio! (We seldom closed; just had late buses or a couple of times the town kids went and the country kids didn't.)

When I was a little girl in Boise, my sisters and I put on Christmas shows at Dunkley Music where our dad worked. "The Chipmunk Song" was one we did, each of us getting a small solo in it while we sang it swaying side to side.

I was so sad to know that the Dunkley Music building has been torn down and replaced by a hotel. That building held so many memories of childhood, having the run of the place while Dad worked, taking guitar lessons there, our Christmas programs, playing all the pianos on the floor, the aluminum Christmas tree on the revolving table in the front window illuminated by the colored turning disc, messing with the drum set that was usually in the window, etc.

I had a great childhood filled with music. I'm so grateful my parents have us do much to learn from - records galore, many instruments, opportunities to perform, lessons in dancing and various instruments.

Both parents are gone now, but my life has been so enriched because of them.

Christmas was always so special in our house. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas season and a great New Year full of life, love, and kindness both given and received.

Wonderful post, Diva. It certainly would be a joyous event if we could go back and re-experience these memories from time to time. Your parents must have been absolute jewels.

Diva - in addition to a great, vivid and heart felt memory, there's a Hallmark movie in there for sure. Very Nice.

We have our annual get together here at our house Sunday. It's nice as we don't really see each other during the year.

Just another thought as our noses are pressed up against the foggy store window: my parents sent lots of Christmas cards. My mom would enclose a note and many of the cards we received contained a note. We had an archway that the cards were taped to that led into the room with the tree. The Christmas card day (a Sunday afternoon every year) was a real undertaking and I can still hear my parents squabbling at the kitchen table as they made their way down the list.

My brother was in the army in the mid-fifties and mom and dad always sent him a huge box of chocolate chip cookies and deep, dark fudge. The box was covered with lots of heavy - duty, brown wrapping paper that my dad would tape and tie a twine around.

That's how it was done. When we knew our soldier was calling home - always on a Sunday night - we would all be around. As soon as the cheaper rates kicked in *(somewhere between 7:00 and 9:00) the phone would ring. Seemed like we always had a difficult time hearing him. Whenever we were done, - usually 20 minutes or so and hung up, I could see my mom's eyes glistening as she hurriedly left the room.

Hope all of you have your tribe with you this holiday.

Loved your story, Bevo, about "Christmas card day". Back then, we didn't have much $$$ to decorate for Christmas, so we too used the Christmas cards that we got to make, well, at least the living room look nice and Christmasee.
Myself and the lovely Mrs. Monclova don't do that anymore. We even talked about it a couple of days ago. I think next year we're going to do it. Thanks, Bevo!

Sure! We are up to a dozen cards and we have a place for them. And, to be very honest, I love the renderings!!

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season!

Started the Christmas shopping yesterday, looked at the flavor of the season one of those "weighted" blankets. Pretty sure their only purpose is to off Grandma for the will. "News reports say Grandma Eastisbest was stuck under her new blanket for three weeks before a safety check was requested by neighbors. The family requests donations be made to..."

Started the Christmas shopping yesterday, looked at the flavor of the season one of those "weighted" blankets. Pretty sure their only purpose is to off Grandma for the will. "News reports say Grandma Eastisbest was stuck under her new blanket for three weeks before a safety check was requested by neighbors. The family requests donations be made to..."

They sure do seem to be everywhere.

I lament the fact that Christmas Shopping may be a tradition lost. I used to enjoy going to the mall with my wife.....but now she does all her shopping online. I've gone by myself to get a couple things.......but I'm gonna miss the big shopping days.:(

Finally..."Then one foggy Christmas Eve Santa came to say... ."

Quarter mile visibility around here. If you're going to church watch yourselves.

Merry Christmas to the AARP gang!!