Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

I'll be busy this week cooking and baking, putting up the tree and enjoying our son who is going to attempt to land in the wind today. (Well, the pilot will.)

I hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for.

Hope the boy and everyone else's relatives and friends arrive safely to their various destinations. To those traveling, the same to you.

We are hosting a small Thanksgiving tomorrow - seven of us. My brother and his wife get to spend some time with my two kids so that's a nice part of the day.

Due to weather Upper's fabulous Fantasy of Lights "walk through" is canceled tonight. Hopefully, it will be rescheduled over the next few days. The actual drive through begins Sunday. Five dollars a car - can't beat it. Over a million lights.

As I type this it is pouring and extremely windy; leaves are everywhere. Looks like November!

I am thankful for much and that includes our own ongoing "Never Ending Tour" of chatting. We are closing in on twenty years, I beleive and it's all been good!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Compared to many, our Thanksgiving will be a small gathering.
4 of us live in our home -- of course the lovely Mrs. M and her hubby, our oldest daughter, Dorcie (33 yrs. old), and our youngest daughter, Maggie (25 yrs' old). Our "middle" child, Patrick (27) is coming in from Michigan to join the elaborate festivities -- which will consist 1) eating; 2) my son and I watching football; 3) a brief nap, then maybe 4) more eating.
Of course, the women will totally enjoy preparing the feast and then cleaning up afterwards. Happy Thanksgiving, from the male point of view.:p:p

On a more serious note, if anyone out there is facing a Thanksgiving alone, perhaps contacting churches or homeless shelters to see if anyone could use some help might be an idea. I know people are always welcome to help serve as well as share the holiday with those who truly need it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Turkey, Kielbasa, Mashed, Dressing, Corn, those green beans with the crunchy stuff, warm dinner rolls to sop-up the canned cranberry sauce, gotta be the canned.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Baby Yoda or Baby Groot. Did you ever wonder who would win in a fight?

I haven't read all the posts of late, but I just wanted to tell you that Delta Airlines refunded my money and companion ticket. They made it right, so I wanted to clear their name since I let everyone know how unhappy I was with them. The lady couldn't believe they treated me so poorly.

Diva - Glad you got everything straightened around. Also, it's nice to hear that Delta actually follows up on customer service (that's rare these days).

Wishing all of you and yours a great Thanksgiving!

ROCK ON!

Cooking for seven and we over -cooked. Already have an announced no show. Our 93-year old neighbor across the road just got a bigger plate.

I had my son and three missionaries from our church as guests. I took a picture of them at the table and sent it to their mothers. They needed to know their sons were being taken care of. ?

We had turkey, ham, rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, killer sweet yams, corn. I forgot the stuffing! Cherry, raspberry blueberry, pumpkin, and apple pies. Raspberries were grown by me for the pie and jam. I had help in the kitchen from my son who peeled all the potatoes, yams, and apples. Great table setting with gold silverware (is that what you would call it?), Thanksgiving-themed plates, lovely tablecloths and centerpiece. I love hosting the big feasts.

Yesterday we braved the crowd at Kohl's and bought our son a new suit with all the accoutrements. Got it very cheap since we opened a charge card and got Kohl's points. I seldom shop there.

Saw the Mr. Rogers movie, which was excellent. A nice tribute to a lovely man, and Tom Hanks nailed it, as usual.

Dinner at Outback with their sirloin that I love. I have a recipe for the rub they use that's fairly close in taste.

Today I'm watching the game while hubby faux finishes the wood in the parlor. He's gotten really good at that.

I had my son and three missionaries from our church as guests. I took a picture of them at the table and sent it to their mothers. They needed to know their sons were being taken care of. ?
We had turkey, ham, rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, killer sweet yams, corn. I forgot the stuffing! Cherry, raspberry blueberry, pumpkin, and apple pies. Raspberries were grown by me for the pie and jam. I had help in the kitchen from my son who peeled all the potatoes, yams, and apples. Great table setting with gold silverware (is that what you would call it?), Thanksgiving-themed plates, lovely tablecloths and centerpiece. I love hosting the big feasts.

Diva, Sounds great and good for you and your family. (y)

Before the big Ohio State-Michigan game, I thought I'd mention the following:
Remembering "the world's oldest teenager" on his birthday. Dick Clark (1929-2012) would have been 90 years old today (Nov. 30). He is best remembered for American Bandstand and Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. Clark definitely brought music into our lives (if you're old enough to remember :) ). Also, isn't it a shame that Clark's first name gets deleted from posts due to idiots misusing the word to identify people. ?

ROCK ON and GO BUCKS!

Last edited:
Diva - I hereby declare you top mom! Seeing Mr. Rogers this afternoon. If anyone is curious the original story can be read on online by typing in Esquire, Tom Junod (the author's real name) hero, Fred Rogers, etc. It's a long article but you will see the genesis of the movie.

Based upon D.C's top ten list, I would say that is around 62-63. JB would know and then some. I thought Richard Clark was great on the show through all of its various forms - from after school at 4:00 to Sat. afternoons for a quick half hour.

Everyone knows who wrote the Bandstand theme song, right? And, we covered the sponsor of the Sat. night- time version, right?

And, he created all versions of The Pyramid shows - which I thought were great!!

"Here is your first subject - Go!"

Thanks, Dick for all of this and for being a pretty class act all the way through.

Are we talking about Merv Griffin?

Thanks for the kudos, Bevo, but I'm only doing what thousands and thousands of other (mostly) women do on the holidays.

Last edited:
You are correct, sort of. I read another guy's name. but I was thinking it was Barry Manilow. The sponsor for Sat. night Bandstand was Beechnut gum.

Diva - I hereby declare you top mom! Seeing Mr. Rogers this afternoon. If anyone is curious the original story can be read on online by typing in Esquire, Tom Junod (the author's real name) hero, Fred Rogers, etc. It's a long article but you will see the genesis of the movie.

Based upon D.C's top ten list, I would say that is around 62-63. JB would know and then some. I thought Richard Clark was great on the show through all of its various forms - from after school at 4:00 to Sat. afternoons for a quick half hour.

Everyone knows who wrote the Bandstand theme song, right? And, we covered the sponsor of the Sat. night- time version, right?

And, he created all versions of The Pyramid shows - which I thought were great!!

"Here is your first subject - Go!"

Thanks, for all of this and for being a pretty class act all the way through.

Bevo,

Your post mentions the D. Clark Top Ten list sponsored by Beech-Nut gum and viewed on Saturday nights and you may
remember that is a trivia question I had asked a couple of years ago and it may have stumped the Peanut Gallery at the time. . can't remember if anyone came up with the answer or not. I had asked if anyone could remember the primary sponsor of his Saturday night show. May have even later asked if anyone knew the reference to "the Peanut Gallery", lol,

Anyway, in the top 10 list of songs that is highlighted in OWK's post # 7872 you were wondering about the time frame of the top 10 shown and you thought it might be circa '62-'63, which happened to be my senior year in HS. Actually those tunes listed were even earlier than my senior year, which makes them really Golden Oldies !! I recall all of the songs and believe I had bought 8 of the 10 songs on the chart back in the days when I was buying 45's and very few albums. I didn't switch from 45's to 33's until around 1963 or so. I am certain that the Top Ten Beech-Nut Gum list is from the year 1959. I know I was in the 8th grade when I bought those particular records. Enjoyed that brief stroll down memory lane again.

Speaking of "strolling", anyone one remember the popular dance called "The Stroll" as well as the song of the same name and artist or group who had the big hit with it ? It was sure featured on the afternoon version of American Bandstand back in the day.

JB

JB - Peanut Gallery ("But on Sat. morning kids at 10:00 - who do you watch?!).

The Stroll was like dullsville to me; as I have expounded on countless times, I preferred dancing as closely as legally possible and with a sliver of permission. Or maybe not... .

Yes, my Beechnut info. came from you as I clearly recall the reference. I watched a few times.

Didn't know those songs were that vintage. With my trusty turquoise, 8 transistor radio (see it's better because it goes up to 8 - not just 6!), Bandstand, and a very rare purchase, I would walk my paper route singing these songs over and over. I was The Duke of Earl - with a Lil' Peggy March thrown in - as I walked my route every afternoon for around four years.

Up and at it with Joan Osborne's live video of What Becomes of The Broken Hearted. She and the band just kill this!

Also, saw a duo called Mandolin Orange on CBS News this morning. Check out their song I'll Be Out Howling at The Moon Tonight. It's great - especially if you like the mandolin and a bit of bluegrass. No, really it is wonderful!

My brother-in-law has played mandolin in a bluegrass band. And the mandolin work on Heart's Little Queen album is wonderful.

One of my favorite songs is Mandolin Wind by Rod Stewart. It's from his Every Picture Tells a Story album. I was about 20 or 21 when this came out. I thought (the album was speaking directly to me. Mandolin Wind, though, truly stands out. I think Ronnie Wood plays the mandolin in it, but of course -- as always -- I reserve the right to be wrong. :unsure:
I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was a good one!

Mr. Monclova--I too always liked Mandolin Wind, and it's one of 290 songs I currently have in my phone :D. Fired up the'ol Google machine, which I knew would direct me to Wikipedia, to answer your question. Here's what Wiki says:

The identity of the mandolin player on "Mandolin Wind" is unclear. The liner notes state that "the mandolin was played by the mandolin player in Lindisfarne" but that Rod Stewart had forgotten his name.[14][15] In 2003, Ray Jackson claimed to be the mandolin player on the album, at least for the song "Maggie May."[14] Jackson is the mandolin player from English folk-rock band Lindisfarne. Mason attributes the mandolin playing to Martin Quittenton.[9] The liner notes to Every Picture Tells a Story list Quittenton only as the acoustic guitar player. In his 2015 book, "Elton John, From Tin Pan Alley to the Yellow Brick Road," which chronicles the star's rise to fame from the start of his solo career in the late sixties to the end of the seventies, author Keith Hayward indicates the mandolin player might have been Davey Johnstone in one of his earlier session appearances prior to joining Elton John's band as his guitarist.[16]

I liked Mandolin Wind - don't know if I have ever hard it before. The old songs and rockers were so good!

I had a Rod Stewart album from around '75 called, I believe Every Picture Tells A Story. I can recall very clearly around '68 Christmas shopping with a friend and hearing Itchy Koo Park. Rod's been around forever and didn't The Stones' Ronnie Wood play with Small Faces or just Faces?

I saw Time Magazine's top ten songs of the year in the last issue. Not only did I not know any of the songs, I also did not know any of the performers!!

I am sure we covered Suzzane Vega's Luka at some point. She has quite a catalog. I was a fan and recalled a story telling song that she did but I could not think of the title or even a lyric. But I remembered the song was about Suzanne working as a camp counselor and a boy at the camp and you know how Google is - if you pour enough in, something comes out. So, I found the song - it is called Gypsy. Take a listen and think about a summer love.