Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Let's see if I have this correct. The athletes are too busy to work and they can't be paid for being who they are. So, a guy takes a loan from a family friend for living expenses, pays it back and then is in trouble. Right.

Recall when Gloria James took out a loan and bought Lebron a hummer? That ended up being fine because 'bron was going to be worth a gazzilion dollars 4 months later and the loan was paid off. Same thing here - back off!!!!

Let's see if I have this correct. The athletes are too busy to work and they can't be paid for being who they are. So, a guy takes a loan from a family friend for living expenses, pays it back and then is in trouble. Right.
And if that family friend happens to be an OSU booster or coach? He isn't being put on the shelf for getting a loan. Students, athletes can get loans. If that's the real and end of story, then OSU being overly cautious for what reason?

To be fair, we only know the situation as described by Young. Of course, he's going to narrate the situation in the best light for him. Has anyone heard their teenage son or daughter describe anything this way? And, when they did, did we as their parent, just accept what they said as fact and say "Well, OK"?
I tend to think that there is more here than we currently know.

To be fair, we only know the situation as described by Young. Of course, he's going to narrate the situation in the best light for him. Has anyone heard their teenage son or daughter describe anything this way? And, when they did, did we as their parent, just accept what they said as fact and say "Well, OK"?
I tend to think that there is more here than we currently know.

My Ma's kid was perfect, so there are exceptions. But in Young's case? I agree with you.

Big day for the NCAA, huh? First, they declared the possible #1 pick in the NFL draft (Chase Young) ineligible. Now they are attempting to make the possible #1 pick in the NBA draft (James Wiseman, Memphis) ineligible. They are already having trouble with the Wiseman case:

ROCK ON!

Recall when Gloria James took out a loan and bought Lebron a hummer? That ended up being fine because 'bron was going to be worth a gazzilion dollars 4 months later and the loan was paid off. Same thing here - back off!!!!

Bevo - Sadly, it isn't this simple. Loans cannot be given to athletes if the loaner happens to be a "booster". This term has quite a range and the NCAA's definition of a "booster" is below:

The NCAA broadly defines a "booster" as an individual, agency, entity or organization who is known by an institution to: Have participated in or been a member of an agency that promotes the institution's intercollegiate athletics program.

So a "booster" could be anyone who ever made a donation to a college or even bought an ad in the university's athlete program. Obviously, this includes a large number of people.

Chase's statement says that he got a loan from a "family friend" (who he's only known for 3-years). Unfortunately, that sounds a little shaky. It sounds more like this "family friend" was in some way involved with supporting the Buckeye athletic program or trying to take advantage of Chase's future assets. Either way, both of these situations are illegal as per the NCAA Bylaws.

As for LeBron's situation with the Hummer, it was declared illegal by the OHSAA. There were sanctions and rules regarding this type of activity were added to the OHSAA Bylaws. Most college basketball coaches agree that LBJ's amateurism would have been affected had he chosen to attend college. Also, when LeBron was in high school he wasn't under the jurisdiction of the NCAA, so we're talking "apples and oranges".

We have to wait and see how this plays out, but there is some NCAA precedent that could cost Chase Young at least a two game suspension (and that's if things go well). If Chase secured a loan from a "booster", even if he paid it back, I'm afraid his college career is toast. Fortunately for him, he'll still be able to make millions in next year's NFL draft. Unfortunately for the Buckeye faithful, a chance at a national championship will probably be derailed.

ROCK ON!

I hate it when you guys are correct!

We'll just have to wait and see.

I thought I'd post a more positive story about a former Ohio State player on this Veteran's Day Weekend:

A great story for Veterans Day Weekend. 97-year old Chuck Csuri: Ohio State All-American, WW II war hero and the "father of digital art and computer animation". Csuri was even born on the Fourth of July:

ROCK ON!

Last edited:
Really can't top a story like this.

Yes sir, Bevo! It's a very good story. Here's more info on Chuck Csuri's professional work:

Creative Titans: Charles Csuri, the Father of Computer Art

ROCK ON!

Great song. Horrible event but all too common when the skies of November turn gloomy.

Looks like we're in for some weather today and tomorrow, too.

Veterans, a huge thank you to you for keeping God's country free!

Totally agree on the Vets. Should be priority one for all services - medical, education, housing, etc. But for them, Diva and I would not be up right now engaging in this activity.

Will this first "storm" be a precursor to the next six months or will this be one of the few incidents we get all winter? Stay tuned.

As far as any services or benefits for our vets, I have always felt that it is next to impossible for us as a nation to do enough for these men/women. No matter what their service has involved, they are true unsung heroes. What is truly inspiring is that they are simply living their lives alongside the rest of us, seeking no recognition or special treatment. A simple "Thank You" is all they need.

On a less important note, I (yes, this old guy) did some research on the artists who have been nominated for the Hall of Fame. For the first time, I went out of my comfort zone and listened to several songs by Depeche Mode. What a step forward for yours truly!
Guess what? I actually really like their stuff. :geek:
Who says old guys can't learn new tricks?

With our outside Chrismas lights up (Griswald style of "here and there") and a good five inches of snow in Eastern Wyandot County, it's been a very, early and pleasant winter night here. The cherry on top is that the working half of this family is already on a two-hour school delay. My call from the way it looks here is that a lot of those "two hour" will turn into "closed".

Just think only seven more months of this!

With our outside Chrismas lights up (Griswald style of "here and there") and a good five inches of snow in Eastern Wyandot County, it's been a very, early and pleasant winter night here. The cherry on top is that the working half of this family is already on a two-hour school delay. My call from the way it looks here is that a lot of those "two hour" will turn into "closed".

Just think only seven more months of this!

Wow Bevo! Looks like a pretty big snowfall for this time of the year. Of course, you are correct about the silver-lining (school delays and possible cancellations). ?

Things are heating up on the gridiron as the OHSAA Playoffs are moving along and the BCS Championship contenders are narrowing down. Who knows what will happen with the BCS, but for what it's worth, I think the best four teams are OSU, LSU, Clemson and Alabama (no particular order). I'm sure there will be solid arguments made by Georgia, Minnesota, Oregon and Oklahoma, but I still like the four that I previously mentioned.

Whether you're an LSU/Joe Burrow fan or not, you have to appreciate the following meme:

ROCK ON!

It's mornings like these, as I wake up at 5:15, feeling relaxed as I leisurely sip my coffee, looking out the window and shivering slightly, then smiling slightly as my unsmiling wife buttons her coat and heads out to work, that I'm happy to be retired.

Well, the good news is that mom is "closed" there; the bad news is mom is "open" here!

Most schools in Northwest Ohio are now closed. Sets a precedent for the rest of the winter that is repeated every year. Schools around here seem to close in clusters (and not just because of proximity). I believe it's more interconnected communities; e.g., Upper, Carey, Mohawk, Wynford and VanLue tend to almost close automatically when one does. However, at least right now, Hopewell-Loudon is delayed and New Riegel is open (Seneca County). The districts are five miles apart. The outlier right now is Findlay City - always on a delay

My old school Ashland City prided itself on always going must to my chagrin. Many wwer the mornings when I left here to drive in bad weather and passed through numerous closesd districts to get to Ashl;and. I did this once and tehn they decided to close around 10::00. Fortunately, a kind administrator allowed me to leave - still got home around 1:30.

Many of you obviously know from careers and having children that teh schools call now when they are delayed or closed. When I was a kid...We always had to scramble to find a radio station. I do not recall teh tv stations running these.

I hear "Big Foot's" boot crashing on to the floor.

Time to shovel.

Many of you obviously know from careers and having children that teh schools call now when they are delayed or closed. When I was a kid...We always had to scramble to find a radio station. I do not recall teh tv stations running these.
I was just saying that to my wife this morning. Growing up we listened to the radio in the kitchen every morning. Neither of my parents watched TV news the way folks do now. And it was a major event when that morning DJ had school closures to announce.

You know, I started first grade in '57, graduated in '69. I seldom recall missing more than one or two days a year. In my mind it took an eight inch snowfall to get out with day two iffy. Six inches was borderline and when the snow fell was crucial.
All winter long there were late buses coming in for a half hour or so after the school day started. Never remember missing for fog or ice.

I can actually recall country kids being dismissed for a few days one spring because of high water but the town kids had to go.

I've mentioned this before but in the sixth grade, we missed two days in Jan. when it was below twenty below. Ironically enough, four months later in late May we were sent home before noon two other times because it was so hot out.

Forever we were allowed to miss five days before we had to do makeups. We never came close to that. I did not teach during the blizzard of '78 winter. The winter of '77 was eclipsed by '78 but '77 was the winter of coldness and a mysterious lack of fuel from Columbia Gas. All over Northwestern Ohio that winter, schools started their days later or dismissed earlier and thermostats were turned way down in buildings. I was at New Riegel that year and we started an hour later for around four months. I remember quite well, that it was very cold from late Oct. on.

Just in passing, I was told that after the blizzard of '78, snow was found in low shaded spot at a golf course in this area in early June. About six years ago Lake Superior still had numerous ice flows bobbing about on Memorial Day weekend. I don't know the geography there at all but apparently there is something way out called the "ice caves" and people were walking to them that winter. I know off Port Clinton that winter, several people walked to Canada. One of the guys who did this needed a gps because after he lost sight of the shoreline his sense of direction was totally disoriented. At some point, he had no sense of direction as everything was white and endless.

Snow daze... .

I woke up to my driveway having been plowed by my next door neighbor yesterday. I heard something going on while it was still dark, but I thought it was on the street. Best neighbors in the world on either side of me.

A few days before, the other neighbor came out and helped rake our leaves because it was supposed to snow the next day (but it didn't).

I'm liking the snow less as I get older. My husband detests it. He has to be out in it way more than I do. He would move us to Hawaii in a heartbeat if I'd allow it. Living on a hot rock far from family is not my idea of fun. I need 3-4 seasons.

I don't mind hot summer with plenty of blue skies - preferably starting in mid May and going into early Sept., followed by fall. I need the Ohio fall until late Nov. I need a snowy Dec and three weeks of Jan. I need it to start getting nice in early March. I need an actual spring that begins in late March.

I almost went down last night on a sheet of ice on a sidewalk. I use to make "those moves" just to be silly - now they are terrifying!

The Purple Aces of Evansville shocked and rocked Kentucky last night and made $90,000 for their pleasure. (Shout out to Jerry Sloan, a star from the sixties and a decent pro. After three territorial picks, Sloan was selected fourth in the '65 NBA draft. This at a time when there were eight teams in the
Association.)

Cavs almost upset Sixers (we are Cavalier fans here). Trying to like and enjoy the post Lebron era - some interesting parts there.

Young basketball Bucks get Villanova at home tonight. Would be an upset to win.

Browns get the Steelers at home tomorrow night. How can a team have three wins two weeks from Thanksgiving and still be in it? The answer is - they're not!!

Last edited:
I don't mind hot summer with plenty of blue skies - preferably starting in mid May and going into early Sept., followed by fall. I need the Ohio fall until late Nov. I need a snowy Dec and three weeks of Jan. I need it to start getting nice in early March. I need an actual spring that begins in late March.

I almost went down last night on a sheet of ice on a sidewalk. I use to make "those moves" just to be silly - now they are terrifying!
Glad to hear you say that, Bevo. They scare me too. I know it's hard to admit, but -- just maybe -- we aren't good enough athletes anymore to just bounce back from those falls. Only Jimmy Carter can do that, God love him.

Yep, I'm with you. Don't need no broken hip or anything else!

Love Carter! We are going to Georgia again this summer and I have half a notion to get in line the night before in Plains to hear Jimmy's Sunday school lesson. I would love to meet him. Citizen Carter is a very good man.