Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

And, the Browns' elf will be visible tomorrow.

For those who like, my kids saw "It" last night and loved "It". We will see soon.

(These "kids" are 23 and 28.)

OWK - VanLue stands at 2-0 with a win last night. And, it is their 10th. win in the last decade! Roll Wildcats!!!

And, the Browns' elf will be visible tomorrow.

For those who like, my kids saw "It" last night and loved "It". We will see soon.

(These "kids" are 23 and 28.)

OWK - VanLue stands at 2-0 with a win last night. And, it is their 10th. win in the last decade! Roll Wildcats!!!

Yes Bevo, I saw the VanLue score. Also, I noticed that your Upper Sandusky Rams had a huge 41-21 win over Mt. Gilead. ?

Can't believe that Army, a 22-point underdog, is now beating #7 Michigan 14-7 in Ann Arbor (3rd quarter). Are the Wolverines going to have another "Appalachian State experience"?

In case you missed it, here's a very good article about Joey Burrow:

ROCK ON!

Copy Rights - whatever?! Someone please run the video of Take Me Home Tonight with Eddie and Ronnie.

RIP - former New York cop in training, Eddie Money - age 70 -. if for nothing more than the great, great song and hot, sexy video with Ronnie S.

Last edited:
Copy Rights - whatever?! Someone please run the video of Take Me Home Tonight with Eddie and Ronnie.

RIP - former New York cop in training, Eddie Money - age 70 -. if for nothing more than the great, great song and hot, sexy video with Ronnie S.

Here you go Bevo - "Take Me Home Tonight", Eddie Money with Ronnie Spector:

Here's my favorite Eddie Money song, "I Love A Rainy Night":

RIP Eddie Money!

I'm now in love with the 43-year old Ronnie (or the 76!) year old again. Ronnie's twitching gets me all tingly inside!! It's a good feeling.

Still, crave the original black and white video of the song.

I've told this before but when we saw Jay and The Americans, as part of the patter on stage the guys mentioned playing with the Ronettes and how extremely "friendly" they were. Inference taken.

Saw Eddie Rabbit sing I Love A Rainy Night at the Marion Popcorn Festival (front row), probably 30 years ago. Sexy - like Ronnie.

Diva - if you are still checking in, a while back (it's all a while back now) I brought up the fact that Upper had the first all-night prom in the country. One of our sleuths found the Look Magazine article, with pictures telling the story. The prom was around '48.

One of the girls interviewed for the article (and there may have been a picture of her) was named Rosie Ellis, later Stephens and finally, Jordan. Saw this week that she had passed away at a nursing home in Findlay at the age of '87. The obit. mentioned that she was a great swimmer but no mention of the article.

She bought my drum kit for her son, Ed around 1970. Later on (20 years ago or so) we lived in her vicinity (Fourth and Church) and she would walk by and always stop and chat if I was in the front yard playing with my kids. Nice lady!

P. S. I'm going to put that book on my to-read list.

We did an Eddie Money song in our band in the late seventies. It was called "Call on Me". I liked "Shakin'", too. He had a lot of good songs.

I have seen a reproduction (copy) of the picture Look used in '48 of the prom goers swimming at the pool. It's either been in the Daily Chief Union or in one of the year books over the years. I am pretty sure the superintendent who I believe had the last name of Davis came up with the idea. I note the 70th. anniversary of the event was this past May.

WOW! Great find!!

Rosie Ellis aka, Rosie Stephens (the bathing beauty at the bottom of the page) lived very close to us in town about 15 years ago and would stop and talk while out walking. She also bought a drum set of mine around '70 for her son, Ed.

Other than the cold pool and air I bet this was great, great fun for a group who just four years earlier had friends, uncles, brothers, etc. fighting in W.W. II.

I also want to point out my uncanny memory of several of the key events. ;)

Diva - if you are still checking in, a while back (it's all a while back now) I brought up the fact that Upper had the first all-night prom in the country. One of our sleuths found the Look Magazine article, with pictures telling the story. The prom was around '48.

One of the girls interviewed for the article (and there may have been a picture of her) was named Rosie Ellis, later Stephens and finally, Jordan. Saw this week that she had passed away at a nursing home in Findlay at the age of '87. The obit. mentioned that she was a great swimmer but no mention of the article.

She bought my drum kit for her son, Ed around 1970. Later on (20 years ago or so) we lived in her vicinity (Fourth and Church) and she would walk by and always stop and chat if I was in the front yard playing with my kids. Nice lady!

FootballFan - Thanks!!!

Dungarees! 60 degrees and 42 degrees - I'll pass on both. These were the war kids.

RIP - Rosie Ellis - iconic Upper Sandusky teen.

For those interested:
Don't miss the beginning of the new eight-part Ken Burns’ series, "Country Music", premiering tonight (8:00-10:00 pm). The series is extremely well done:

ROCK ON!

I believe we all check in and out so there's that. Sometimes, when I feel I have something someone would enjoy, I try to do a "heads up". Thus, the Rosie Ellis note on her passing this past week. If I recall at the time this was all first addressed, several of our elite members were happily surprised about another note of fame for our little town.

On another totally unrelated topic I went to my first class reunion yesterday and to a memorial service this morning. Have never attended a reunion. It was fun, little sad, very hysterical and ultimately, life-affirming.

I am a rocker at heart but I like today's country. The old stuff - nope.

We got tickets to see Heart in Toledo on Sept. 28. Anyone going?

Bevo - Glad you enjoyed your reunion. The 50th Reunion is usually pretty good because by that time people aren't real interested in impressing others. After 50 years, very few people care about the "successes" of others and they are more aware of the really important things in life (health, happiness and family). Of course, a downside of a 50th reunion is that almost everyone is close to 70 years old. :) It is, however, amazing to think about where all those years from high school until today have gone.

Diva - I would guess that many people feel the same way as you about country music. Since the 1970s and crossover hit recordings, country has gained popularity. I don't like some of the genres of country music, but the documentary should be interesting in tracing the origins of its different eras.

ROCK ON!

FWIW..

PBS started running the Ken Burns documentary on Country Music yesterday (9/15).

and I also check in often but haven't had time to make real contributions (hit albums of the 60's).

:>---

SF

Everything is derivative so I like learning about where it all came from - not a fan of the "sound" but I love the historical side of it.

Part two tonight against the Brownies' - mom wins - Tough Times or Hill Billy Shakespeare it is.

We're back from our trip to the Florida panhandle. Boy-the seaweed is terrible-apparently all beaches in Florida are suffering from it. Hopefully it is a temporary thing because it seriously kept our swimming at the beach to a minimum. The pool was great though.

Glad to see the reasonable adjustment to the OHSAA lightning rule in effect this past Friday. We saw visible flashes to our southeast horizon in the third quarter, but the refs, coaches, and school officials all agreed there was no thunder audible, and the lightning tracker apps didn't show anything within the "danger radius", so they let 'em play.

And another rock-n-roll obituary: Ric Ocasek of The Cars, age 75, yesterday, unknown. Hard to believe he and the late Benjamin Orr were already in their 30's when The Cars became overnight sensations in 1977.

Here's my favorite solo single by Ocasek ( that could easily have been from The Cars), video from 1983:

Last edited:
My graduating class just had our 50th. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it (hard to get to Cinci, especially with my medical maladies). It was nice, though, emailing with my best buddy from HS. We both remembered when we first got acquainted.....It was 7th grade and our school had 9 periods. We had all the same classes and I sat behind him in all of them. We first spoke when, in 7th period study hall, he said "Hey kid, let me see your schedule". That was now just over 50 years ago and I can still picture what he was wearing!

He was the best man at the wedding of myself and Mrs. Monclova 37 years ago. I've seen him once since then, but he is still my best buddy in the world.

P.S. For some reason, he got the task of picking up Jerry Mathers from the airport. The Beaver, yes, was the guest star at our 50th.

OWK,
Mrs. M & I watched "Country Music" by Ken Burns last night. Totally fascinating. I still remember the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers and their wonderful music from my childhood.
As one who grew up on my parents' country music mixed with my own rock 'n roll top 40, I have a very soft spot for both.
Yes, I was a child of the late '60s, and am still influenced by the music of that time, but I still loved many Country & Western artists all the way thru the '80s & '90s (George Strait, Charlie Pride, Porter Wagoner, Dolly, Merle, Johnny Paycheck, Waylon, and so many others).
I lament the evolution since then. Perhaps that just means I've gotten old.
Whatever it means, Mrs. M & I are eagerly awaiting the next installments. Thanks for putting us on to the broadcasts!

One of my favorite bands of the '80s, The Cars. The simplicity of their music and the way it harkened back to the early days of rock 'n roll was so striking (and maybe the way their videos made me chuckle too :p).
I'm glad they were inducted into the HOF last year, so at least Ric had the knowledge that the rest of us acknowledged their brilliance.

I don't mind you hanging 'round and wasting all my time - yeahhhhh.

The Cars were very good; different sound. RIP - Rick Okasek; graduated of Maple Heights High School near Cleveland.

Jerry Mathers! The highlight of ours was me showing up!!

Last edited:
The Cars were very good; different sound. RIP - Rick Okasek; graduated of Maple Heights High School near Cleveland.

Bevo - Great call knowing that Richard Theodore Otcasek (aka Ric Ocasek) graduated from Maple Hts. High School. Here's a photo of him from Maple's 1961 yearbook (bottom row, second from the left):

RIP Ric Ocasek and welcome to Rock and Roll Heaven.

ROCK ON!

OWK,
Mrs. M & I watched "Country Music" by Ken Burns last night. Totally fascinating. I still remember the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers and their wonderful music from my childhood.
As one who grew up on my parents' country music mixed with my own rock 'n roll top 40, I have a very soft spot for both.
Yes, I was a child of the late '60s, and am still influenced by the music of that time, but I still loved many Country & Western artists all the way thru the '80s & '90s (George Strait, Charlie Pride, Porter Wagoner, Dolly, Merle, Johnny Paycheck, Waylon, and so many others).
I lament the evolution since then. Perhaps that just means I've gotten old.
Whatever it means, Mrs. M & I are eagerly awaiting the next installments. Thanks for putting us on to the broadcasts!

Monclova Steve - Very glad that you and your wife liked the Country Music program. Like Bevo, I found the historical aspects of the program extremely interesting. I'll have to get the DVR going tonight because the Browns and the Singing Cowboys are both on the tube. Ordinarily it wouldn't be a big problem, but since I'm in Florida I don't get to see the Brownies very often.

Here's a review of last night's Country Music program:

ROCK ON!

September 17, 1920...
The American Professional Football Association (NFL) is formalized in Canton
at a Hupmobile dealership.

=====

1 ~ Eddie...
2 ~ Ric...
3 ~ ???

:>---

EGA

Last edited:
Was like that I 2012 too
We're back from our trip to the Florida panhandle. Boy-the seaweed is terrible-apparently all beaches in Florida are suffering from it. Hopefully it is a temporary thing because it seriously kept our swimming at the beach to a minimum. The pool was great though.

Ric Ocasik was separated from Paulina Porizkova after 28 years of marriage. She is 54; he was 75. They are both of Czech descent.