Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Nice to see the OSU guys win a championship! Guys all recognizable - if a tad older looking. Loved watching them play the last ten years and very much looking forward to the good new group coming in.

Winning like this in the summer on the tube has to help recruiting.

Bucks rule and had more left in the tank at the end.

Fun game with Craft making a sweet assist down low and Diebler crafting a steal and a driving deuce. Buford - with ice water in his veins - swished the first of two free tosses and teased us with a rim-tapping second shot.

Looking forward to this season even more. First: football!

Last edited:
I must admit that, first, I'm a Xavier fan; then #2, I'm a UC fan.
Having said that, many cheers for the Buckeyes reclaiming their former glory. As now a long-time resident of NWO, it is great to see the homeboys shine like they used to do!
The good guys won.

I saw that most of the guys each "made" $200,000 for winning the tourney; some less - depending on participation

True; but upon reconsideration, I believe that pool rate was about 90 cents per. When I was a six day a week sub for my cousin on a fifty customer paper route, I received a dollar a week.

Last edited:
I babysat for .50/hr when I was a young teen. I didn't like it at all and stopped doing that in favor of teaching piano lessons for $5/ half hour when I was older. I am teaching again for only double the price.

$2.00/hour on my first job as a gopher at an electrical contracting company.

I worked a summer job at Pizza Hut between my Sophomore and Junior college years at Miami U. I think I was making $3.35/hour. When I turned in my "resignation", just before school started, the 22-year old Store Manager offered me the Assistant Store Manager position at $4.00/hour and "all the hours I wanted". I was taken by surprise and tempted to give him a sarcastic reply, but I saw how nervous he was and I politely declined. A college education versus a Pizza Hut job? Not a tough decision for me and he knew it, but at least he tried. The answer is always "no" unless you ask.

Like Diva, I babysat for my young cousins as a teen -- yep, a big .50/hr. I know I did a great job because of course due to my babysitting guidance one of them is now rich beyond his wildest dreams, and the other is in the Ohio Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame.
I think I should have picketed for .55/hr.
When I was 15, though, I got the last laugh cuz I nailed a dishwashing job -- $1.00/hr, 10 hrs a day with no breaks every Fri and Sat. Talk about BIG $$$$!!!

Last edited:
I also was a bus boy when I was 14 - briefly - as the owner was a psycho. The dish washer threatened me with a butcher knife one evening. Not sure he was kidding.

One of the better "jobs" I had was the summer I was 11 - '63. I sold night crawlers. Dave's Big Dozens - 25 cents a "large" dozen. On a rainy night, with a flashlight literally shoved into my mouth I would crawl around the back yard, double fisting my brains out. Could easy get 200-300.
I had a sign in the front yard (card board on a stick) and a sign in a barber shop up town.

We kept the product in an old dilapidated building behind the house in a wooden box my dad hastily pounded together for me. We had plenty of tin cans and the best part was that my mom would take care of people who stopped by to buy. Often, that summer I would come back from the pool or wherever and there would be 50 cents to a buck and a half laying on the table for me.
I am not sure if I look back at that fondly because I was so young and I could buy nickle cokes at the drug stores or just because I was young and those summers lasted forever.

By way of comparison my wife teaches and they went back today...with kiddos!

My definition of a dream job: catching night crawlers on a rainy night with a flashlight shoved in my mouth. ;)

For whatever reason, fewer teens are working summer jobs today. Forty years ago, between 55-60% of teens had a summer job. Now it's down to 30-35%. I'm not sure why...shorter summers; more distractions (smartphones, videogames, "select" sports); employers reluctant to hire teens; lazier teens, etc.

You mean guys don't ride their bikes everywhere (girlies, too) with a ball glove hanging on the handle bars. I had a glove and/or basketball. bathing suit and a pocket with a few coins in it every day in the summer.

I never see kids on bikes.

You mean guys don't ride their bikes everywhere (girlies, too) with a ball glove hanging on the handle bars. I had a glove and/or basketball. bathing suit and a pocket with a few coins in it every day in the summer.

I never see kids on bikes.
Right on, my friend. And, BTW, Happy Birthday.
I went everywhere on my bike as a kid -- and most of the time with my ballglove hanging and holding my bat across the handle bars. There was almost always a game somewhere (schoolyard, park, somebody's yard).
Now, the only people I see on bikes are adults. What's up with that? :unsure:

We're the ones who remember riding as children. My neighbor kids ride sometimes, but you don't see the hoards of kids riding like when we were young.

I went miles away all the time. I followed the sidewalk as far as it would take me in Boise, remembering when I would cross a road. Kids today can't do that.

Even adults are reluctant to ride on the streets anymore. People actually have targeted cyclists and run into them, which I find unbelievable. Thus, the incredible popularity of something called Zwift, an indoor trainer popular with cyclists now because it's about as close to an outdoor experience as you can get without drivers running you off the road. My husband has one. It's quite the set up; really interesting.

These could be things you don't see anymore.....

My grandfather taught me to hunt nightcrawlers after dark with a flashlight......Kids don't even go fishing anymore......I took my grandson fishing this spring. We hunted some nightcrawlers first. He caught several bluegills and a pretty nice bass. He loved it.

I ride my bike quite a bit. I ride the country roads in Indiana. From my house Indiana is only about a mile away, then I ride to Salamonie....I'm sure nobody ever heard of that! (Never have worn a helmet btw) I do see kids riding bikes past my house to the pool or to the neighbors house. I see a ton more golf carts though. It's like a dang retirement community with all the golf carts.

Bevo Babes... 101...

Happy Birthday to...

Debra Messing / she is 51 today...

Don't send her flowers ~ she's allergic to them!

From an awesome romantic comedy ~ The Wedding Date

Joy to you Debbie, where ever you are.

"Then I realized, I'd rather fight with you than make love with anyone else."

:>---

EGA

My wife and I caught "The Wedding Date" on the ship's movie channel during a 2005 cruise. Was a short jaunt from NYC to Nova Scotia. Unfortunately we both came down with mild colds, and were holed up in our cabin one afternoon. so the Sudafed could go to work. She chose the movie, and I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but turned out to be pretty interesting and enjoyable.

Of course, that could have been the drugs talking.

Fortfan, I've never caught a fish though my father took all of us little girls fishing a lot in Idaho.

I saw The Wedding Date last month. I've always thought Debra Messing is pretty. I like her red hair.

Yes, on "messing" with Messing. another nice looking lady was Helen on "Wings". Loved the show!

Trolling myself tonight. Saw "Blinded By The Light" the story of an Indian youth who is transformed when he learns of the Boss. Excellent; lot of fun, good true story. Springsteen seldom, if ever, allows his songs to be used commercially. He is all over this.

The movies of the summer included: Blinded... , "Rocketman", "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Yesterday". All good bio-flicks. Top two for us: Blinded and Yesterday.

In the last few minutes I have heard "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme", "Somebody To Love" and Georgy Girl".. great songs from the 66-67 era. And, toss in the BMW commercial featuring "Summer In The City" (also 66). What a great group of tunes and there were many, many more!!

RIP - Captain America.

Okay, I give up - what was going on with the young lady in the tiny apartment? Something about looking for the TV remote?

Yeah, that cat was something else. Guards that door pretty well.

So are you loving the cooler weather? I do love the rain.

Some may recall I tore an Achilles tendon last February on the treadmill. I missed all spring and a lot of the summer not running, but I'm getting back into it slowly. This year I won't be running 10k almost daily like before, but I did run a mile today without walking. Did it in 10.56. That's not fast, but for an old woman like me, it's a good starting time to improve upon.

As Cher has said, "What's YOUR grandma doing?" My grandkids can say "she's back at triathlon training" (I did one last month).

I'm lucky my husband does this, too, though he's training for an Ironman.

I'm so ready for hot apple cider and holiday baking! I'll have to give a lot of it to my piano students or I'll eat too much of it.

What are you all doing tonight?

Funny, how many of us hate Ohio spring - damp, dreary, cloudy, chilly, etc. Yet, when we get some hot or at least nice weather, we grow weary of it after a couple of months and start looking for the sweaters.

I am the same way.

I like the cool nights as I feel more relaxed and not compelled to be outside doing some chore. Love the rainy, fall nights. The L.L. Bean fall/winter catalog showed up today and h.s. and college football get it going this weekend.

But, before we batten down the hatches, we are making plans to see the Indians (our boys of summer) play next week. We are doing a night game, followed by a day one, with a night in C-town.

Favorite time: mid Oct. until mid Jan. Least favorite time Feb. through late May. Next least favorite time - late summer until mid Oct.

Like the hot, hot days for swimming, hate cold, cold days. Played outside on miserably cold days as a lad and was fine - now I am cold from early Nov. until June.

Personal note: Monclova and I both turn 68 on Friday. Fifty years ago that night, I was at a dance with two friends in little Sycamore, Ohio listening to an Upper Sandusky band playing outside on a basketball court. We were celebrating me being able to drink legally. The brew was "Little Dukes" out of Cleveland; 48 small bottles in a case! We were "attacked" and roughed up by some local toughs. The guys in the band played on and did not help us.

So, Monclova, if I had a Little Duke I'd share one with you and tip to our lives and the sound of clock's tick, tock, tick, tock... .

Bevo sets us up for a little mini quiz:

I like the cool nights as I feel more relaxed and not compelled to be outside doing some chore. Love the rainy, fall nights. The L.L. Bean fall/winter catalog showed up today and h.s. and college football get it going this weekend.

Name the artist:

"...(Such a) Rainy Night in Georgia... :

"I Love a Rainy Night..." :

"Nights are Forever Without You..." :