Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Rock legend Ronnie Spector has died at 78 years old. She was lead singer of The Ronettes, who sang one of the the greatest songs of "the girl group era", "Be My Baby":

View attachment 25300

RIP Ronnie Spector!

Rock legend Ronnie Spector has died at 78 years old. She was lead singer of The Ronettes, who sang one of the the greatest songs of "the girl group era", "Be My Baby":

View attachment 25300

RIP Ronnie Spector!
OWK,

The death of Ronnie Spector is tragic. She was one of my favorite female singers ever ! In particular, she and the Ronettes signature song, " Be My Baby" peaked at #2 on the Billboard Top 40 Chart and this was during my freshman year in college.
To this day I still absolutely love that song.

Ironically, as part of our family ritual every Christmas season, I break out my vinyl copy of "The Phil Spector's Christmas Album"
This year and last year with the Covid mess, only Mrs. JB and I had a chance to hear the classic Xmas album from the genius, the late Phil Spector who passed away a year or so ago while serving time for murder ! Nevertheless his famed "Wall Of Sound" made a terrific yuletide album. Ronnie Spector was married to Producer, Phil Spector back in the late 60's and divorced him in the mid 70's but they made some beautiful music together. The album features Darlene Love, The Ronettes, Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans, and The Crystals plus Phil Spector joining in on the last song "Silent Night". The Ronettes have 3 songs on the album. So strange just hearing Ronnie and the Ronettes a few short weeks ago and now she's gone, so sad.

Actually, my favorite memory of Ronnie Spector and The Ronettes is during the opening credits of the classic film " Mean Streets" one of my favorite movies ever. "Be My Baby" plays during the opening scene with Harvey Keitel which sets the whole tone of the movie. On the subject of music soundtracks, here is a trivia question from "Mean Streets" I would be curious to know if anyone who has seen this film can name the song playing in the famous bar scene where Robert De Niro makes his grand entrance into the bar with a lady on each arm and struts down the bar while Harvey Keitel watches in awe.(Clue): The song is by the Rolling Stones and in my opinion one of the best choices for a song paired with a bar scene that is in every respect perfect.

One other memory I have of Ronnie Spector comes from back in the MTV era where they actual played music videos. Anyone still remember Eddie Money in the video of his song " Take Me Home Tonight"? Eddie Money had Ronnie Spector accompany him in part of the video and she sang a few lines from "Be My Baby" with Eddie on the lead vocal. It was a good video and the song made it all the way to # 4 back in 1986. A year later " Be My Baby" was included in the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack and that album spent 18 weeks at # 1 in the album charts. I would imagine Ronnie Spector had some decent royalties from those two happenings. She will be missed and was so influential on so many artists over the years. Thanks OWK for posting this, I was unaware she had passed until I saw this thread.

JB

OWK,

The death of Ronnie Spector is tragic. She was one of my favorite female singers ever ! In particular, she and the Ronettes signature song, " Be My Baby" peaked at #2 on the Billboard Top 40 Chart and this was during my freshman year in college.
To this day I still absolutely love that song.

Ironically, as part of our family ritual every Christmas season, I break out my vinyl copy of "The Phil Spector's Christmas Album"
This year and last year with the Covid mess, only Mrs. JB and I had a chance to hear the classic Xmas album from the genius, the late Phil Spector who passed away a year or so ago while serving time for murder ! Nevertheless his famed "Wall Of Sound" made a terrific yuletide album. Ronnie Spector was married to Producer, Phil Spector back in the late 60's and divorced him in the mid 70's but they made some beautiful music together. The album features Darlene Love, The Ronettes, Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans, and The Crystals plus Phil Spector joining in on the last song "Silent Night". The Ronettes have 3 songs on the album. So strange just hearing Ronnie and the Ronettes a few short weeks ago and now she's gone, so sad.

Actually, my favorite memory of Ronnie Spector and The Ronettes is during the opening credits of the classic film " Mean Streets" one of my favorite movies ever. "Be My Baby" plays during the opening scene with Harvey Keitel which sets the whole tone of the movie. On the subject of music soundtracks, here is a trivia question from "Mean Streets" I would be curious to know if anyone who has seen this film can name the song playing in the famous bar scene where Robert De Niro makes his grand entrance into the bar with a lady on each arm and struts down the bar while Harvey Keitel watches in awe.(Clue): The song is by the Rolling Stones and in my opinion one of the best choices for a song paired with a bar scene that is in every respect perfect.

One other memory I have of Ronnie Spector comes from back in the MTV era where they actual played music videos. Anyone still remember Eddie Money in the video of his song " Take Me Home Tonight"? Eddie Money had Ronnie Spector accompany him in part of the video and she sang a few lines from "Be My Baby" with Eddie on the lead vocal. It was a good video and the song made it all the way to # 4 back in 1986. A year later " Be My Baby" was included in the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack and that album spent 18 weeks at # 1 in the album charts. I would imagine Ronnie Spector had some decent royalties from those two happenings. She will be missed and was so influential on so many artists over the years. Thanks OWK for posting this, I was unaware she had passed until I saw this thread.

JB
Thanks for the post, "JB". I knew that we could count on you. Interestingly, Mrs. OWK and I also play the "The Phil Spector's Christmas Album" each Christmas. There are some great renditions of Christmas songs on that album. I read Ronnie's book, Be My Baby, and it was one-opening. The abuse she received from her then-husband Phil Spector was horrible. Glad that she got out of that relationship. Sadly, Phil Spector (although being a musical genius) didn't change his ways and he ended up dying in prision.

"JB" - As usual, your trivia question is one that has me stumped. I'll be checking for the answer. :)

One other memory I have of Ronnie Spector comes from back in the MTV era where they actual played music videos. Anyone still remember Eddie Money in the video of his song " Take Me Home Tonight"? Eddie Money had Ronnie Spector accompany him in part of the video and she sang a few lines from "Be My Baby" with Eddie on the lead vocal. It was a good video and the song made it all the way to # 4 back in 1986. A year later " Be My Baby" was included in the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack and that album spent 18 weeks at # 1 in the album charts.
Was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. Loved the song the first time I heard it on the radio, and the shot of Ronnie walking away at the end of the video.

Thanks for the post, "JB". I knew that we could count on you. Interestingly, Mrs. OWK and I also play the "The Phil Spector's Christmas Album" each Christmas. There are some great renditions of Christmas songs on that album. I read Ronnie's book, Be My Baby, and it was one-opening. The abuse she received from her then-husband Phil Spector was horrible. Glad that she got out of that relationship. Sadly, Phil Spector (although being a musical genius) didn't change his ways and he ended up dying in prision.

"JB" - As usual, your trivia question is one that has me stumped. I'll be checking for the answer. :)
OWK,

The answer to my trivia question about the movie " Mean Streets" and the legendary Bar scene introducing a young Robert De Niro in a Martin Scorsese early film has "Jumping Jack Flash" by the Stones playing as he hits the entrance door to the Little Italy bar with Harvey Keitel at the end of the bar watching Johnny Boy strut with a couple of girls on each arm and the song playing while the whole scene is filmed in a red hue adding to the effect. It is only about 70 seconds long and can be viewed on YouTube. Type in Mean Streets bar scene or something similar, also the opening scene with Harvey Keitel features "Be My Baby" by The Ronettes and can be viewed on YouTube as well.

Yep Gardens35, that was a hard one to forget. I taught school on Wednesday and coached a game that night. I didn't get home until Friday. As most of you know, you had to experience it to believe it.

Blizzard.jpg

Been a busy spring and summer for me! I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

I'm not the best guy to get basketball info from, but I thought OWK and the other hoops lovers in the group might be interested in an update on Phil Bova, who played for the Cleveland West team which averaged something like 85 points a game in the mid-1960's.

Next month Bova will be speaking at the public libraries in Solon and Middleburg Heights. He's a former Big 10 official who worked the infamous Bobby Knight chair-throwing game. He's also co-authored a book titled "Throwing Back The Chair" about his officiating experiences.

I have a small connection to Bova, in that two of his high school teammates ended up teaching and coaching at my high school when I was a sophomore. One of them just sent this link to me, and it's an interesting read:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2022/06/phil-bova-retired-college-basketball-referee-giving-4-library-presentations.html?fbclid=IwAR3xRw-4v5rBBH4uFnLnyZfd8jGCt14hXO1_mglqf2VkX2yvHk6JlXRmpdg

And an interesting look back at the "chair throw" game, with comments by Bova:

https://www.referee.com/you-are-there-bobby-knight-throws-a-chair/

Been a busy spring and summer for me! I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

I'm not the best guy to get basketball info from, but I thought OWK and the other hoops lovers in the group might be interested in an update on Phil Bova, who played for the Cleveland West team which averaged something like 85 points a game in the mid-1960's.

Next month Bova will be speaking at the public libraries in Solon and Middleburg Heights. He's a former Big 10 official who worked the infamous Bobby Knight chair-throwing game. He's also co-authored a book titled "Throwing Back The Chair" about his officiating experiences.

I have a small connection to Bova, in that two of his high school teammates ended up teaching and coaching at my high school when I was a sophomore. One of them just sent this link to me, and it's an interesting read:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2022/06/phil-bova-retired-college-basketball-referee-giving-4-library-presentations.html?fbclid=IwAR3xRw-4v5rBBH4uFnLnyZfd8jGCt14hXO1_mglqf2VkX2yvHk6JlXRmpdg

Same to you Zu

Except lately, though Woodson may be changing that, this is absolutely one of the better rivalries in sports that stepped up even further when Keedy came to Purdue. "Favorite" is not even close to predicting the winner. It's rare either team sweeps a season. Trouncings are rare. No home court is safe. And they don't like each other on the court. Keady and Knight. Thats fire right there, except off the court where they apparently were great friends. Honestly, the loudest I ever heard Mackey was an Ohio St game. It's the vibe when IU is in town...

Purdue leads the series and has two more B12 championships but Indiana has.....

Last edited:

Zunardo -Thanks for the heads-up. I would have missed those articles had you not posted them. Yes, I do recall that Phil Bova played with "the other Phil" (the one who scored 66 points in a high school game and captained the Kentucky Wildcats in 1968-69). Years ago, you mentioned that Phil Argento taught at your high school. Man, he was a good one!

Not being a big guy, Phil Bova had to have played in the backcourt with Argento. I'm sure he had many assists. :) Also, I didn't realize tha Bova had worked the IU game when Bobby Knight threw the chair.

Hope all is well with you and that you are still enjoying being the "Voice of the Rangers".

The best to all the AARPsters, young and old.

Zunardo -Thanks for the heads-up. I would have missed those articles had you not posted them. Yes, I do recall that Phil Bova played with "the other Phil" (the one who scored 66 points in a high school game and captained the Kentucky Wildcats in 1968-69). Years ago, you mentioned that Phil Argento taught at your high school. Man, he was a good one!

Hope all is well with you and that you are still enjoying being the "Voice of the Rangers".
OWK, please check your PM's. Glad you enjoyed the article. Yes, Phil Argento and Edwin "Tony" Sobony left their mark at Hamilton Twp. Tony ended up retiring from here, it was he who sent me Bova article. Phil moved back to Cleveland after a few years, last time I saw him was in 1999 watching his son Phil Jr play for Lutheran West in the state semi-final game.

Thank you! Yes, looking forward to my 27th season in the pressbox - where did the time go?

Unfortunately, my announcing gig for Columbus State CC basketball is permanently defunct. Last month we were told their athletics program has been discontinued. That one hurt. Really enjoyed working with all of the scoring bench workers in that tiny gym, we were literally on top of the action. The AD staff and the coaches were a pleasure to know. And we had some really funny interactions with the officials, players, and visiting coaches over the years:

- After one messy play and a whistle, the ref walked up to the table slowly and said to us, "Would you believe me if I told you that foul was on number 5?" We all shook our heads. He says, "And?" We all flash fingers for number 13. He says, "I thought so." He backs away and yells, "I got white 13, on the wrist - we're shooting two!" Afterward we told the AD we wanted a cut of the officials' pay from now on.

- A visiting shooter missed a shot with no call, and their coach (who sat two feet away) gets in my face and yells, "That's a foul! You saw it! Didn't you think that was a foul?" I said, "Coach, all I see is 10 guys colliding bone-on-bone and bleeding afterward - there's a foul on every single play!" He didn't bother me after that.

- One game the visiting team fouled out so many they were down to three players. During the timeout one of them comes up to me and says, "Hey, we need a body. Can you play? Can you shoot or dribble?" I said, "No - but I'm an excellent enforcer!"

My absolute favorite moment - during a women's game, one of the visiting players was checking back in, and stood beside my chair to wait for a dead ball. And she was very, very cute. When the ref waved her in, she leaned near my ear and said, "I like the way you say my name," then ran out to the floor. Threw me off my game for the next few minutes. All I could think was, "You still got it, old man!"

Last edited:
OWK, please check your PM's. Glad you enjoyed the article. Yes, Phil Argento and Edwin "Tony" Sobony left their mark at Hamilton Twp. Tony ended up retiring from here, it was he who sent me Bova article. Phil moved back to Cleveland after a few years, last time I saw him was in 1999 watching his son Phil Jr play for Lutheran West in the state semi-final game.

Thank you! Yes, looking forward to my 27th season in the pressbox - where did the time go?

Unfortunately, my announcing gig for Columbus State CC basketball is permanently defunct. Last month we were told their athletics program has been discontinued. That one hurt. Really enjoyed working with all of the scoring bench workers in that tiny gym, we were literally on top of the action. The AD staff and the coaches were a pleasure to know. And we had some really funny interactions with the officials, players, and visiting coaches over the years:

- After one messy play and a whistle, the ref walked up to the table slowly and said to us, "Would you believe me if I told you that foul was on number 5?" We all shook our heads. He says, "And?" We all flash fingers for number 13. He says, "I thought so." He backs away and yells, "I got white 13, on the wrist - we're shooting two!" Afterward we told the AD we wanted a cut of the officials' pay from now on.

- A visiting shooter missed a shot with no call, and their coach (who sat two feet away) gets in my face and yells, "That's a foul! You saw it! Didn't you think that was a foul?" I said, "Coach, all I see is 10 guys colliding bone-on-bone and bleeding afterward - there's a foul on every single play!" He didn't bother me after that.

- One game the visiting team fouled out so many they were down to three players. During the timeout one of them comes up to me and says, "Hey, we need a body. Can you play? Can you shoot or dribble?" I said, "No - but I'm an excellent enforcer!"

My absolute favorite moment - during a women's game, one of the visiting players was checking back in, and stood beside my chair to wait for a dead ball. And she was very, very cute. When the ref waved her in, she leaned near me ear and said, "I like the way you say my name," then ran out to the floor. Threw me off my game for the next few minutes. All I could think was, "You still got it, old man!" ?

Thanks Zunardo! Glad that you are still doing your thing behind the mic. Great stories about some of your adventures, especially the one about the girl who was "very, very cute". Somewhere Bevo is smiling. :)

Keep up the good work and I wish you and the Rangers the best this coming season.

Thanks for the info on Tony. I'll definitely contact him.

Zunardo -- ''I'm not the best guy to get basketball info from, but I thought OWK and the other hoops lovers in the group might be interested in an update on Phil Bova, who played for the Cleveland West team which averaged something like 85 points a game in the mid-1960's.''

There was a Bova family in my area growing up near Youngstown. The father was a Liberty Township trustee, and a few of his children were good athletes in high school. And there might have been a Phil Bova as Canfield's AD, coach, or administrator. I'm wondering if there is a relationship.

Zunardo -- ''I'm not the best guy to get basketball info from, but I thought OWK and the other hoops lovers in the group might be interested in an update on Phil Bova, who played for the Cleveland West team which averaged something like 85 points a game in the mid-1960's.''

There was a Bova family in my area growing up near Youngstown. The father was a Liberty Township trustee, and a few of his children were good athletes in high school. And there might have been a Phil Bova as Canfield's AD, coach, or administrator. I'm wondering if there is a relationship.

coldshoulder - Good question and it's very interesting that there are two men named "Phil Bova" who were involved in basketball. I don't know if they are related, but I'm pretty sure the Youngstown Phil Bova attended Ursuline High School and YSU. Yes, he did coach at Canfield. Phil Bova, the basketball official, spent his career in the Cleveland and Medina areas. Before being an outstanding basketball official, he was an excellent baseball player. In fact, he held summer baseball camps for many years. Hopefully, someone will know if these two guys named "Phil Bova" are related.

Last edited:
Another 60s star has passed away. Australian musician Judith Durham, best known as the lead singer of folk music group The Seekers, has died aged 79. Her band sold more than 50 million records and had hits including "I'll Never Find Another You" and "Georgy Girl":

Just read about a drummer named Jimmie Nicol who replaced Ringo Starr for two weeks on the Beatles' 1964 tour. I'm sure many of you already knew about him, but I'd never heard the story before. Must have been quite an experience for him.

Years ago I'd seen where Scott Halpin, a local teen, came out of the audience to fill in for The Who's Keith Moon in the middle of a show in 1973 after Moon had passed out on the kit.

Cinderella stories, even if their carriages turned back into pumpkins too soon. Halpin passed away at 54 in 2008. Nicol is still around at 83.

Last edited:
Just read about a drummer named Jimmie Nicol who replaced Ringo Starr for two weeks on the Beatles' 1964 tour. I'm sure many of you already knew about him, but I'd never heard the story before. Must have been quite an experience for him.

Years ago I'd seen where Scott Halpin, a local teen, came out of out of the audience to fill in for The Who's Keith Moon in the middle of a show in 1973 after Moon had passed out on the kit.

Cinderella stories, even if their carriages turned back into pumpkins too soon. Halpin passed away at 54 in 2008. Nicol is still around at 83.
Kool stuff!

I knew the story of Pete Best, but I didn't know there were five Beatles' drummers.

My absolute favorite moment - during a women's game, one of the visiting players was checking back in, and stood beside my chair to wait for a dead ball. And she was very, very cute. When the ref waved her in, she leaned near my ear and said, "I like the way you say my name," then ran out to the floor. Threw me off my game for the next few minutes. All I could think was, "You still got it, old man!" ?
I'm truly sorry to hear about CSCC but that last story has me cracking up.