Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

coldshoulder

Haven't posted here for quite a while, but I came across this on my Twitter feed this morning. There's been many great quizzes and conversations over the years in this thread (and even back on the Puddle ;)) about popular music in the 60's and 70's especially. This list contains songs that many of us here can easily sing along to, and recall with varying degrees of affection.

eastisbest

great songs there.

I don't recall Patch it up or 5-10-15... at all. But for me, that's pretty good.

And the angel is there, Karen Carpenter.

Last edited:

EagleGuy

It's been 50 years since My Sweet Lord? Yikes! That nap was longer than I imagined.

BTW, Harrison looked like Rip Van Winkle back then.

In other news...

Columbus Crew win the MLS Cup for the second time. (2008 was the first championship). Not a big soccer fan, but kudos to the Crew!

Last edited:

Diva

I liked "Patch. It Up" by Elvis back the day. I've never heard of the 5-10-15 etc. song.

Wishing you all a very prosperous 2021 full of health, happiness, and faith.

Zunardo

Wishing you all a very prosperous 2021 full of health, happiness, and faith.
Thank you, Ms. Diva, and a round of the same to everyone else on here.

I see we lost another one of the "Boys Of Summer" yesterday - Tommy Lasorda, 93, member of the Brooklyn Dodgers' 1955 championship team and Hall of Fame manager for the LA Dodgers. Many years ago I read an interesting anecdote, where as a high schooler Lasorda had been refused an autograph from a major league player after a game. A few years later Lasorda made it the minors as a pitcher and ended up facing that same player (who had been demoted) and exacted some revenge: he immediately threw fastballs at the guy’s chin and finally drilled him with pitch. After the game, the player came up to him and said, "What did I ever do to you, kid?"

I read where Willie Mays is now the oldest living member of the MLB HOF at age 89. Interestingly, Mays came very close to being a Dodger. Leo Durocher said he pushed hard for Dodger scouts to sign him, but the scouts claimed Mays couldn't hit a curve ball .......

Last edited:

coldshoulder

I was never as big a baseball fan as I was (and am) about basketball and football, but I always thought Tommy Lasorda was a good manager, a fun guy, and a wonderful ambassador for Major League Baseball and the sport in general. But apparently he could be a real hot-head, too, in the same manner of a Billy Martin, as I've seen more than a few clips on Twitter since his passing with him tangling with the opponents' mascot, on the field. But this clip takes the cake. Warning, NSFW language, which may offend some (and which may get me a time out here :cautious:). But here goes :ROFLMAO::

One Who Knows

Phil Spector was definitely weird, as well as being a criminal, but he brought us some great sounds: the "Wall of Sound", the "Girl Groups" of the early 1960s and even some Righteous Brothers songs:

Zunardo

Phil Spector was definitely weird, as well as being a criminal, but he brought us some great sounds: the "Wall of Sound", the "Girl Groups" of the early 1960s and even some Righteous Brothers songs:
Very sad, both his death and the circumstances that put him in prison. In his book, Hal Blaine alluded to Spector's mental decline back in the late 1970's, partly because he refused to adapt as the times, technologies, and tastes changed. But he definitely cemented his legend for his role during that golden era.
Musical ruminations and "associations" - Mrs. Z and I were listening to The Association's "Everything That Touches You" this past weekend, and we both commented that the lyrics weren't easy to pick up because the verses were much more complex than just "Baby, baby, baby". Started reading some of their history and how one of their studio musicians came from a band I wasn't familiar with called The Music Machine.

So I looked the Music Machine up (their sound reminded me of the Count Five), and one of their hits was called "Talk Talk". Wait a sec, that sounded familiar. I played it, and said, "Hey, that's a cover of Alice Cooper trying to do New Wave - and THEN I started reading about Alice and his high school cross-country team ........ :cool:

Beatles, meet Michael Jackson.

Rockin' that Rick Astley pompadour.

Last edited: