Donating a Car?

Auggie

Anyone here ever donate a car as opposed to selling it? I have a beater that is just a smidgen above being able to operate legally on the street and the donated value as a tax write off is better than dealing with selling it to someone that would be in the market for such a vehicle. Is there an organization that is better to work with than others? Any tips?

I did it last year, went to Goodwill. My beater wouldn't even run or start, would have been lucky to get $200 bucks for it. Goodwill picked it up and I got a receipt for a $500 charitable donation.

Every time I bought a new car I've donated the old car to charity. You have to give the car title, the keys of course, and they will pick it up. In my case the charity auctioned off the vehicle. A few weeks later I got a letter saying that my Ford pick-up went for $3000, so I got to declare that amount on my tax return.

I did it last year, went to Goodwill. My beater wouldn't even run or start, would have been lucky to get $200 bucks for it. Goodwill picked it up and I got a receipt for a $500 charitable donation.
I've done the same thing.

Anyone here ever donate a car as opposed to selling it? I have a beater that is just a smidgen above being able to operate legally on the street and the donated value as a tax write off is better than dealing with selling it to someone that would be in the market for such a vehicle. Is there an organization that is better to work with than others? Any tips?
I’ve donated 3 vehicles to goodwill. They are fantastic to deal with. Donated my last car to my son.

I've donated mine to goodwill in the past, they made it very easy. As far as the tax write off the new higher standard deduction makes these types of charitable donations less "valuable" because of the higher threshold for itemized deductions.

I've donated mine to goodwill in the past, they made it very easy. As far as the tax write off the new higher standard deduction makes these types of charitable donations less "valuable" because of the higher threshold for itemized deductions.

Yep. Filing a joint return would require itemized deductions in excess of $24,000 .....so unless you have a boatload of property taxes and other qualifying deductions that get you over that threshold, I don't think you can make use of the charitable donation (car) to reduce your tax liability.

I've donated a number of cars to St. Vince DePaul. They fix them up and give them to people in need, and you get a $500 tax write off.

Very simple process. You contact them, and they come and pick up the car and bring the paperwork to sign over the car, as well as the tax information.

All you have to do is call them, hand them the keys, and sign the papers.