Don Mitchell Roosevelt Memorial Invitational

? - Can the FAT times be recovered from the hard data and displayed in their correct form?

Yes. If it was a case of hytek having the "show times in tenths" option turned on by accident, you would need to turn that off then go to each event and get times again from the lynx computer and all would be good. After looking at the results I am not sure about FAT or not. There are ties in the times which means that they were either hand timed (did not get a start signal but had picture) or the person running hytek did not read the results before processing them. There are ties in the times and some are from same heat.

by the looks of it, they did not have their system working properly on saturday. They had it fully operating on friday

To be clear, this is not blaming the timing company for La Salle's second place finish. I think in the end, La Salle's score is accurate, or at least VERY close. However, it was not without intervention by Coach Russo that it got that way.

Every coach should double check their team's scoring. This meet was fraught with timing problems for La Salle and those are the only ones I know about.

First, in the steeplechase, La Salle runners actually finished first and fifth. However, in the posted results at the meet, the first place finisher was shown in 9th and the fifth place finisher was shown as not finishing. Coach Russo called the error to their attention and it was fixed. How does that happen with FAT and a camera when they can see hip numbers?

Then, on Saturday, a La Salle runner was shown finishing who didn't even run. (He had a previous commitment and was in Cincinnati, and the time was way too slow for him. He had a cow when it showed up in his stats on MileSplit.) Since the place was not a scoring place, this one would not have affected scoring anyway.

It's hard to trust the result at all when there are 3 errors this significant over both days from just one school. That's why I recommend all teams verify their own scores.

I was standing near the tent during the steeple......if the hytek and finishlinx people werent srewing around with the officials, texting on their phones they might of got things right.

To be clear, this is not blaming the timing company for La Salle's second place finish. I think in the end, La Salle's score is accurate, or at least VERY close. However, it was not without intervention by Coach Russo that it got that way.

Every coach should double check their team's scoring. This meet was fraught with timing problems for La Salle and those are the only ones I know about.

It's hard to trust the result at all when there are 3 errors this significant over both days from just one school. That's why I recommend all teams verify their own scores.

After the 1600m run, I was the only one still there. Clayton Cardinal ran the 1600 and was the last La Salle athlete to leave. Coach Russo asked me to pick up La Salle's trophy. They had four for the top four teams, so we knew we would get one. La Salle competed in nothing after the 1600m run. When Coach Russo left, he told me we had 102 points. After the 1600, they announced we had 79. I went down and told Mike Beatty, the meet manager, we had 102 at that point. When he called out the teams to recieve their team trophies, I went down by myself to get it. Every other team had athletes and coaches in the infield when they received their award. It was kind of weird for me to be by myself with no athletes or coaches there. I have the trophy at my house now.

Last edited:
Based on results as they are listed on baumspage, the total for Dunbar is correct at 99. Based on places where we saw La Salle's athletes actually finish their correct total is 102, and they are listed at 103. Now Gary (IN) West Side is listed at 69½. If the places listed in front of the high jump are correct, that is their correct total and they are the 4th place team by a wide margin at 69½. Now once again we go to the high jump places to determine Eastmoor's total. I compute it as 103½. Either way they win by 1½ points with the totals as listed or with the totals I add up.

It's a question of priorities. La Salle left the meet because of their league meet coming up which was more important than winning Roosevelt. I know for a fact that Jaleel Hytchye was scheduled to run the 800m because he told me so and could have gotten at least 7th for two points. He was a regional qualifier last year, was second at districts in 1:56.37, so don't tell me he couldn't have scored in the event, maybe even won it. The winning time was 1:55 while 2:01 got fifth.

As for the timing company, I went down and asked them what their name was, and they told me BJT. They also said they don't have a web site. I know that the results show Adkins Trac Timing who like lane4 said is a legitimate timing company. I just don't think they were the ones doing the timing. It seems like Roosevelt changes the timing company every year. Last year, it was J and J Timing in Marietta, and they had results posted on their web site. I don't think they exist any more or have changed their name because you can't find them on the web.

During the time I was there, there was a screwup in the 1600 results. They kept saying in the trophy room they didn't have results for the 1600m and couldn't give out the trophies. Clayton Clardinal of La Salle knew he was third and was waiting to pick up his trophy. I told him to leave, that I would get it, and it was hours later before they announced it. When they did, they announced him for second and had someone who finished ahead of him back behind him. The athlete's coach in question said that was wrong and the lady in the trophy room gave the sheet back to the people in the tent to look at it again. At the end of the meet, I was finally able to get Clayton's trophy for third place which I also have in my possession.

Last edited:
sounds like a well run meet ha ha ;; are you going to pawn that runner up trophy or put it in the big red express locker room???:clap: :wallbang: why would you attend anything like that ?? o well ; lets get the big red express ready to win the gcl again ??? go lancers ;;,.:) ;)

Now that Wayne Inv. was held last week, will this meet become relevant again as a top meet in the Dayton area this weekend or will the smoldering feud between Trotwood and Glenville keep teams away. No one want to see a repeat of the ugly fight that broke out between those two teams in the infield two year ago.

Now that long time meet director Randy Waggoner has passed is it time to rename this meet for him?

mr lancer,
now that you first hand experience the meet, do you believe it became relevant again? The DDN had 28/27 teams coming, but looking at results, http://www.baumspage.com/track/roosevelt/2012/Don Mitchell Roosevelt Memorial Team Results 2012.htm, do you think it's getting back to a caliber meet like Wayne?

I didn't go, but after reading some of the post, sounds like it needs more help, more quality teams and better meet management.

Also, have you gone to a Wayne invite, i don't ever remember a lasalle team ever going there, but you would know if they have.

Good luck to your lancers at the league, i'll be at the gwoc to see the elks defend (hopefully) thier title, but Wayne looks scary.....

The funny thing is that you mention Wayne. I saw Mike Fernandez there at Roosevelt. He took a shuttle hurdles team there and won it. Wayne was at three meets in two days. They went to Mason Friday and Piqua Saturday. Oh well! You can do that with a big squad like Wayne. Both Wayne and Centerville have gone to some meets at La Salle. Wayne athletes still hold some La Rosa's Classic meet records. As for La Salle going to Wayne, they are Roosevelt lifers, have been going there since the late 80s, so I doubt they have ever gone to Wayne but who knows. I don't really care at this point to dig for it. My top priority today is getting the Cincinnati Top 25 updated. Not many Dayton teams go to Roosevelt. I'm told it's all about politics in Dayton. There is a group of schools that doesn't like another group of schools which is why the one group doesn't go becuase the other group does. Sounds pretty petty to me. Sports should be about the kids and not about the adults disagreements.

More errant results

I was approached by yet another La Salle athlete who was shown in an event (on Saturday) that he did not run with a very poor time for him. These athletes being shown with performances that are well sub-par for their normal are very unhappy when they show up in their MileSplit profile and other online sites. The young man today said "I'd hate for some college coach to see that and think I actually ran it."

I'm not one to complain a lot and try to remain positive, but somebody at this meet must have been trying to see what they had for dinner the previous night, because their head was certainly in the right place for it. I don't know if it was the timing company, clerk, or somebody else, but the results are horrible.

It's supposed to be simple with FAT. A runner checks in with the clerks. They get a number. The timer records the performance of that number. Anyone who was registered who does not check in gets scratched. How do multiple athletes (from one team), who did not run, show up in the results? That's on top of guys who did run being shown in wrong places and the coaches having to get it straightened out.

Yep, there's no other way to say it. The quality of the results at this meet are horrible. Coaches, you may want to search the results for your school's name and verify your athletes have not been credited with results they did not deserve (good or bad).

Last edited:
I didn't pay that close attention. I believe it was around 5:00 p.m. I believe the finals started around 1:30 with no 4 X 800 relay and no 3200m to be run since they were run Friday.