does running cross country make you a nerd

You call me NERD today but BOSS tomorrow.

Reality
XC is a suburbia country club sport. In my mind most NERDY type kids dominate those sports because it takes living in the suburbia and $$$$$ to play: golf, tennis, swimming, lacrosse and EVEN Soccer in the United States.

XC attracts usually suburbia white kids.

You call me NERD today but BOSS tomorrow.

Reality
XC is a suburbia country club sport. In my mind most NERDY type kids dominate those sports because it takes living in the suburbia and $$$$$ to play: golf, tennis, swimming, lacrosse and EVEN Soccer in the United States.

XC attracts usually suburbia white kids.

Good point...but keep in mind country schools can compete with suburbia cross country too. Like Cloverleaf, Tuslaw, Field, Crestwood, Minster, Fort Laramie, Smithville, etc.

CC runners at my school get mad respect from others. They know its hard. But yea we are nerds

I mean, cross country runners tend to get the best grades. I think of you take a look at any schools list of Valedictorians, Salutatorians, top ten, etc, I'd imagine cross country runners are well represented. So yeah, I guess XC runners are pretty nerdy. At least at my school, XC runners tended to be very popular as well. Homecoming/winter formal/ prom court, tends to get good representation by cross country runners as well.

No.

Knowing that today being a nerd is no longer a negative, running cross country definitely does not make one a nerd.

Lets go to the definition:

nerd

• a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.
  • a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.
synonyms: bore, dork, dweeb, Poindexter, nimrod, geek, drip, loser

Does pulling up this definition make me a nerd? No. It might be pedantic, but it doesn't make me a nerd. Does using the word "pedantic" make me a nerd? No. It is evidence that I am educated. :)

giphy.gif