Do you rest some players week 6 to save them for playoffs?

tom 48

Time to play head coach. Given that the tournament seedings will be out before the last game, do you rest some players, play them for a short time, or play them for the entire game, risking injury? This especially applies to D1, which will begin the next week. Of course, in a rivalry game, I'm sure you want to have them play as long as they can, but for a game that really is not that significant, what do you do? Do you try new things and give experience to the underclassmen, or try to tune-up?

It depends on the situation. There are still some teams who are fighting for league championships and this last game could determine the outcome. For a game that doesn’t have as much meaning to it I could see sitting players and giving your backups an opportunity to play so that they also have in game experience and the starters rest up for what could be a long playoff run.

Since majority of teams are playing what would have been their week 10 opponent in a "normal" season dont see that happening. Also, as SAD said, the kids have already got shafted so much how could you say "we're going to take away one of the remaining games you have"?

Stood outside fence for a few games this year and it felt like night time JV games. These were GOOD teams with solid followings. Got loud when big plays happened, but without a crowd it just was strange.

On separate note, anyone wonder how many of the scheduled "we lost in playoffs so lets play an extra game" games will actually happen? I know baseball does it all the time, just seems strange for it to happen in football season.

Depends on the coach & the team's realistic playoff potential. If you're a team that thinks it can advance, i think you play everybody but be careful with how much. You'll have your seed set, so don't lose any key guys. It's a delicate balance in a short reg season like this, seniors are going to want every snap they can get.

I think another consideration will be whether or not you are getting a bye in week 7. If you are then you probably don't want to have kids going 2 weeks without playing unless there is a nagging injury issue. I figure most teams will play starters for most of first half and mix in JV/ backup kids with second half being all backups. Obviously if its a rivalry game or has league title implications all bets are off.

You're just trolling, you don't know crap.

And yes - you absolutely rest players Week 6 for the playoffs. This Harbin-less regular season changes the strategy.

You're just trolling, you don't know crap.

And yes - you absolutely rest players Week 6 for the playoffs. This Harbin-less regular season changes the strategy.
As I stated on another thread....two separate incidents....one was serious enough that some teachers felt the police should have been called, but after some debate.... (and a realization the the Massillon game was this week) they weren't called.

Time to play head coach. Given that the tournament seedings will be out before the last game, do you rest some players, play them for a short time, or play them for the entire game, risking injury? This especially applies to D1, which will begin the next week. Of course, in a rivalry game, I'm sure you want to have them play as long as they can, but for a game that really is not that significant, what do you do? Do you try new things and give experience to the underclassmen, or try to tune-up?
No, with a shortened time to prepare over summer every snap extra is extremely valuable. I say play your first teamers and rotate in as the game goes if you want to build depth and get experience for younger players.

Approach the first half like it's as important as any other game...second half come out on the first series or two with your halftime adjustment s and...then....shift fire as needed and likely sit some kids a little earlier especially if you expect to make a long run.

No this is silly. More than any other year, tomorrow is not guaranteed. The season is already shortened and pretty much any team with long playoff run aspirations will be getting a bye the first round. Play your players as you would any other week.

No, you let the kids play. One kid on your team gets Covid after the playoffs start and your playoff run is over due to forfeit because of quarantine rules. Every game is precious, let the players play.
Exactly right and Why can’t coaches grasp this concept? Game 6 doesn’t even matter for the playoffs, so put the underclassmen in if you need to and let them all have a moment to shine while they still can.