Do you collect sports cards?

Have been collecting since I was a kid and teen. Took a long absence and started back up again now that cards are back up in value. It's a nice hobby!

Do you collect? What are some of your best cards? Do you collect and sell or just collect?

Curious to see if anyone else is a nerd like me?
i did in the 60's and had about 20 shoe boxes full of baseball cards... then we moved to another house, and my mom decided they couldn't travel to the new house 1 mile away, and the garbage man got them... if i would have had them, my kids would not have had to worry about getting their loans for college paid off by Biden....

I used to collect baseball cards back in the late 70's thru the 80's.

Really have no idea what my most valuable card is but it is likely one of the cards from the debut set of Upper Deck.... Ken Griffey Jr. ????
a good friend of mine keeps about 100 cards in the bank.... they are from the 50's and 60's....

When I was a kid, my father used to complain that HIS father threw out his collection of the original Superman Comic books from the 1930's...

So, what does MY Dad do? When we moved, in the late 60's, he threw out my baseball card collection...about 5 solid years...64-68...Willie Mays, Mantle, Aaron, etc...

Have been collecting since I was a kid and teen. Took a long absence and started back up again now that cards are back up in value. It's a nice hobby!

Do you collect? What are some of your best cards? Do you collect and sell or just collect?

Curious to see if anyone else is a nerd like me?
Used to, back before I went to college. I've got some Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan cards from the 70's. I have a Ricky Henderson rookie. It was kind of wild back then, Topps was the long standing company. Then Fleer and Donruss made cards and there were years where you'd buy all three, as many as you could. Don't have much from the 90's on.

As I've always said about collecting things, the "book" value and what someone would give you for them are two completely different things.

Used to, back before I went to college. I've got some Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan cards from the 70's. I have a Ricky Henderson rookie. It was kind of wild back then, Topps was the long standing company. Then Fleer and Donruss made cards and there were years where you'd buy all three, as many as you could. Don't have much from the 90's on.
i collected them way back when.... for the delicious GUM inside the packs...... and to put the Dodgers players cards on the spokes of my bikes...

i collected them way back when.... for the delicious GUM inside the packs...... and to put the Dodgers players cards on the spokes of my bikes...
I think that gum could withstand the test of time. You knew it was an old pack of cards when the gum disintegrated in your mouth. I'magine knowing today you may have had a Sandy Kofax or Willie Mays card in the spokes of your tires?

I too collected cards and of course dad eventually threw them all out as they took up needless space. Now I don't kid myself, I handled these quite a bit including flipping them and using them on my bike so they probably don't have much $ value if I still had them. Also those early '70s cards were not the best, kind of like bad Peter Max knock offs. One of the cards I most remember though was Walt Williams in an Indians uni, dude really earned his nickname in that image:

s-l500.jpg

I think that gum could withstand the test of time. You knew it was an old pack of cards when the gum disintegrated in your mouth. I'magine knowing today you may have had a Sandy Kofax or Willie Mays card in the spokes of your tires?
yep

National Sports Collectors Convention set to return to Cleveland

The National Sports Collectors Convention is headed back to Cleveland.

Organizers announced the 44th show is scheduled for Cleveland in 2024. It will be held July 24-28 at the International Exposition Center.

The massive sports convention brings in hundreds of dealers and covers an array of sports memorabilia and types of items. It offers a chance for baseball-card collectors to find that elusive 1971 card to fill out a set. Jersey hunters can locate a game-worn uniform. And folks can bring in items for appraisals with auction houses.

I've never been to it before but I would like to make it to at least one. This looks like as good a time as any...

Back when offensive nicknames were acceptable, Walter “No Neck” Williams broke up a no hitter against the Yankees in 1973 with a two out hit in the ninth…a dribbler down the third base line that could have been called an error by Bill Melton but was called a hit because he didn’t get a glove on it and Melton was drawn in

Last edited:
I collect, buy, sell and trade sports cards. I also run sports cards breaks. If anyone is interested reach out to me and I can send you my information!!

Norton Shores man sentenced to 30 months for selling fake sports cards

A Norton Shores man was sentenced to 30 months in prison for selling fake sports cards over the past three decades.

Bryan Kennert, 57, was given the more than two-year prison sentence after he was found guilty of selling $43,000 worth of sabotaged antique baseball card packs to a couple in a Muskegon antique store between April and October 2019.

Is anyone still into collecting cards? Looking at Ebay and Amazon, I've seen some new boxes go for $200-400. Even resale boxes go for high prices. Individual resale cards are even at high prices. I barely ever find them in stores because people like to buy up all the packs and resell them. I don't remember cards being so expensive growing up. I only just realized this because I thought it would be a good gift idea for my nephew.

Anything you collect is only worth what someone will pay you for them. A book may say that a set of cards is worth $200, but if no one wants to give you more than $20 for them, they are worth $20.

Anything you collect is only worth what someone will pay you for them. A book may say that a set of cards is worth $200, but if no one wants to give you more than $20 for them, they are worth $20.
Well right now, theyre worth more than the plastic theyre printed on 1000x over.

Cards are going crazy now. The good old days of a couple of companies making a couple of sets of cards are long gone. Now the print runs are much smaller and there are many more parallel sets. Ebay still has some "boxes" that have around 60 cards for $15.

Merged three different threads into one since they are all the same subject.

Interestingly, after a recent get-together (a funeral) found out a few close relatives and some friends that are still collecting. Seems the industry is still going strong. I have a decent size collection online at a site called Checkoutmycards.com. I'm planning on sending all my decent cards in over the next year or so and will let them handle the headaches of selling them and mailing them all out.

You are correct, marketing is everything. I am funding my final expenses with these cards. Actually, I had a great set of older cards, many going back into the 1950's -1970's . We moved in 1992 and I never found the cards. Guessing one of the movers felt they needed them more than I. Now when I move, I put any personal items of high value in my vehicle and watch.

It was a year or so before I noticed they were missing, so not much could be done at that point.

You are correct, marketing is everything. I am funding my final expenses with these cards. Actually, I had a great set of older cards, many going back into the 1950's -1970's . We moved in 1992 and I never found the cards. Guessing one of the movers felt they needed them more than I. Now when I move, I put any personal items of high value in my vehicle and watch.

It was a year or so before I noticed they were missing, so not much could be done at that point.
Man that's awful, and you just wonder how much that happens in the moving business. Depending on the cards and their condition, they may be as valuable or more valuable than jewelry.

Man that's awful, and you just wonder how much that happens in the moving business. Depending on the cards and their condition, they may be as valuable or more valuable than jewelry.
I try not to think about the financial side. I know it was well over $10k , but like you said, only if you can really find a buyer for them at market price. The worst part for me was it was a big slice out of my childhood. I spent hours trading, upgrading etc, to in the end benefit someone who had no idea of the sweat equity I put into that collection.

I try not to think about the financial side. I know it was well over $10k , but like you said, only if you can really find a buyer for them at market price. The worst part for me was it was a big slice out of my childhood. I spent hours trading, upgrading etc, to in the end benefit someone who had no idea of the sweat equity I put into that collection.
And I agree, this is akin to some old photo albums being destroyed in a fire or some other act of nature. The history is gone. You very well may have never even sold the cards or looked into selling them.

I had a 1989 Upper Deck factory set stolen by a mover. This was about 25 years ago. They definitely knew what they were doing as they left several Topps factory sets from the same era.