Do you collect sports cards?

Absolutely, I have some sets of old cards. Not actively collected in over 30 years.

Sore subject with me.

I collected baseball cards when i was a kid. I had pretty much all of the 1968 Detroit Tigers. Most of the cards from 666-70. We moved in 1970.....and my cards were lost or thrown out.

I know for sure I had the 67 Tom Seave/Bill Denehey rookie card that I see is worth $2500.

I did a lot of collecting as a kid. My grandma bought me the full Topps sets from 86-89. The rest I bought in wax packs, from flea market dealers and a local comic/card shop in town. Collected until junior high, then sold the whole collection in college when I was strapped for money. Dumb move and one I wish I could change.

I bought a bunch of cheap sets in the late 80's and early nineties for my then infant son. They are in a bin in the basement. I need to go through them pick out the valuable rookie stuff then give him what's left.

Sore subject with me.

I collected baseball cards when i was a kid. I had pretty much all of the 1968 Detroit Tigers. Most of the cards from 666-70. We moved in 1970.....and my cards were lost or thrown out.

I know for sure I had the 67 Tom Seave/Bill Denehey rookie card that I see is worth $2500.

Ahhhhh, oh no. 68' Tigers would have been a cool set.

Still have several trunks full along with all my comics.

Spent most of the last 10 years giving them away to younger relatives to enjoy.

Sore subject with me.

I collected baseball cards when i was a kid. I had pretty much all of the 1968 Detroit Tigers.

you are my God. I remember having Bill Freehan and Northrup. That's it. Freehan was a favorite. A Kaline, Lolich and McClain would make a pretty good set. I would have killed a kid for their Gates Brown or Willie Horton.

I've never collected them, but I do have a few, including a 50 year old card of Ty Cobb I've kept in a card case. Don't know if it's worth much, but thought it pretty cool to have to pass down to my son.

Had a small collection from the 70s . Then someone gave me a few more shoe boxes from the late 50s and 60s...never heard of most of them guys (looks like junk)? I remember wondering how many types of Pete Rose rookie cards did they make? I have no Idea if any were good cards or what happened to them.

I used to collect baseball but stopped in the early 90's. Probably have every complete set form the late 70's up to the late 80's or early 90's..... Topps, Bowman, Donruss, Score, Upper Deck, Select, Rookie Sets, and some others I have forgotten about...

I used to collect baseball and football cards in the '60s and early '70s. They were stored in the attic of my parents house. While I was away at college during my frosh year, they had some men come in and blow insulation into the attic. Never saw my cards again.

you are my God. I remember having Bill Freehan and Northrup. That's it. Freehan was a favorite. A Kaline, Lolich and McClain would make a pretty good set. I would have killed a kid for their Gates Brown or Willie Horton.

I must have had 10 Ray Oyler cards.

My buddy in the Army at Ft Bliss,Tx was Bill Freehan's neighbor growing up,made me a Tiger fan with his stories.

Collected from about '87-'93 until my money started going for items more associated with teenagers like CDs, sodas, and junk food.

Bought the '88 Topps complete set off a neighbor kid. The set is often regarded as the worst set Topps ever made due to overproduction. Last I looked (a long time ago), the most valuable card in that set was Tom Glavine's rookie. That may have changed as some other guys from that era have made the HoF. Other than that, all my cards came via random packs and a few team sets - mostly Topps, some Donruss (especially '90), and a little bit of Upper Deck. There are a few Fleer, Score, Leaf, and Sportflick (anyone remember these "magic motion" cards?) sprinkled in as well. No idea what my most valuable card is, but I don't think I had anything north of $25 last time I looked.

I also have a few football ('88 Topps) and basketball cards ('92-'93 Fleer Ultra).

There has to be thousands upon thousands of baseball cards still stored in my parent’s attic. One day, I’m going to have to go through all of those to make sure nothing of value gets pitched.

Collected from about '87-'93 until my money started going for items more associated with teenagers like CDs, sodas, and junk food.

Bought the '88 Topps complete set off a neighbor kid. The set is often regarded as the worst set Topps ever made due to overproduction. Last I looked (a long time ago), the most valuable card in that set was Tom Glavine's rookie. That may have changed as some other guys from that era have made the HoF. Other than that, all my cards came via random packs and a few team sets - mostly Topps, some Donruss (especially '90), and a little bit of Upper Deck. There are a few Fleer, Score, Leaf, and Sportflick (anyone remember these "magic motion" cards?) sprinkled in as well. No idea what my most valuable card is, but I don't think I had anything north of $25 last time I looked.

I also have a few football ('88 Topps) and basketball cards ('92-'93 Fleer Ultra).

Didn’t Topps land some kind of exclusive deal with the MLB a few yrs back? I think they’re the only ones allowed to print cards with Team Names and Logos, which basically means their competitors are SOL. Nobody wants a Mike Trout card of him in street clothes with a stat line on the back that just says “LAA”

Didn’t Topps land some kind of exclusive deal with the MLB a few yrs back? I think they’re the only ones allowed to print cards with Team Names and Logos, which basically means their competitors are SOL. Nobody wants a Mike Trout card of him in street clothes with a stat line on the back that just says “LAA”

I'll have to take your word for it. I've been out of the card collecting game for a long time.

A co-worker of mine, who's dad used to own a shop back then, have a laugh here and there about all the cards we had and still have and how they are almost all worthless.

Trust me most of what you have can either go on the curb or in the burn pile.

A co-worker of mine, who's dad used to own a shop back then, have a laugh here and there about all the cards we had and still have and how they are almost all worthless.

Trust me most of what you have can either go on the curb or in the burn pile.

I figured as much. As I understand it, the card companies significantly ramped up their production around 1988 and devalued the crap out of everything since.

Brave man. Something tells me you weren't the only one. Wait...
I was in junior high. I can remember a serious discussion about who was better, the Monkees or the Beatles.

The flip side was a puzzle of the Monkeemobile GTO, which I taped to the wallpaper in my bedroom.

Within a year I subscribed to Sports Illustrated and the Monkeemobile was replaced.

Cheer up sleepy Jean
Oh, what can it mean

Bringing this back to the top. Of all the industries that have flourished during the pandemic, none have done better than sports cards. It has gotten crazy, almost like the late 80s/early 90s. All those people that collected 20-40 years ago suddenly had time to go down to the basement to sift through their mostly worthless cards just to find a few that still held some value. That initial return to collecting has burst into a re-energized community for collecting sports cards. Some of the prices paid at auction for one of a kind cards is incredible.

Anyone else following the industry?

So many Baseball Cards from my childhood. Got back into collecting a little a few years ago, but on a much, much, much smaller scale.

I used to have some decent cards, mostly from the mid-to-late sixties and early seventies. I'm not 100% sure what happened to them. I had Mickey Mantle (I traded my Johnny Bench for Mickey, if I recall), Tom Seaver, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Al Kaline, Nolan Ryan and many others. We constantly read the stats and traded them so they were all pretty well worn.

I'm still looking for a Joe Shlabotnik baseball card. If anyone has one, I'll trade a Sidd Finch straight up.