Do we need a shot clock in Ohio high school basketball

I am all for a 30 second shot clock.......just turn it off the last 2 minutes of the game. A shot clock wouldn't eliminate the underdog as much as some think. 30 seconds is a long time to run an offense, and if run properly, would still limit the other team's number of possessions......but it would stop extreme tactics that some teams employ.

I am all for a 30 second shot clock.......just turn it off the last 2 minutes of the game. A shot clock wouldn't eliminate the underdog as much as some think. 30 seconds is a long time to run an offense, and if run properly, would still limit the other team's number of possessions......but it would stop extreme tactics that some teams employ.
Agreed. 30 seconds allows a team to run a deliberate offense if it suits the talent available. High school games are short enough as it is. If each team uses 30 seconds to shoot, that's only 8 possessions each for each quarter. I can live with that. I don't particularly care to watch jello harden or it's basketball equivalency.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

Leave the HS game alone. If the underdogs strategy is to hold the ball the favorite should have to change theirs. Is it more fun to watch a favorite bury a team by 30? The HS game is still the purest form of basketball. Next thing you're going to ask for is replay. How much fun has that been at other levels. Let the Coach's coach and the players execute.

Also - just putting this out there.......there have been multiple threads on this website over time that have debated last second shots and whether or not the shot got off in time or if the ball was still in a players hand. Which leads to people going crazy about the "awful" officiating in the game blah blah blah.........

Adding a shot clock potentially causes a last second shot situation for every single possession.......a high school ref can't go back and look at the video review.....you're going to have SOOOOO many situations where someone is mad about a shot being counted or waived off when it should/shouldn't have been.......

Not to mention, its going to take at least one officials attention somewhat away from the game that is being played because there is always 1 official, depending on positioning, that is responsible for last second shots. If that official is constantly worried about the clock, good chance he's going to miss a blatant call or two as well.......

Only way from the officiating standpoint that I see a shot clock working is if you put a 4th official at the table who is solely responsible for the clock.

Last edited:
Use "The Basketball Tournament" Rules, only with no shot clock the 1st 3 1/2 quarters.

1. f. Elam Ending Rules–At the first stoppage at or under 4:00 of the 4th quarter, the game clock stops and timed play ends. At this juncture, a target score shall be set, equal to the leading team's score plus eight (8). After returning from the media timeout, play shall resume without a game clock but with the shot clock, until one team matches or exceeds the target score. During the untimed portion (the Elam Ending), any foul on the floor (i.e. any non-offensive, non-shooting foul) while in the bonus shall result in one free throw and the fouled team’s continued possession of the ball.
    1. i. Example: Team A leads Team B 70-63 at the first stoppage under 4:00. The game clock is turned off while the shot clock remains on. The target score is set to 78. The first team that reaches 78 wins the game.