Do senior softball players lose interest in there final year of High School softball

vettman

As i follow High School softball through the years it seems to me that once a player who has played all four years in High School softball whether it be JV or all four years on varsity ,as she plays her final senior season does she lose the fire that once drives her to play as an underclassmen, As i have noticed and this isn't every player but a lot of the good players stats drop there senior year from there soph and junior year, It seems that most good players have there best year as a junior.Are they just done with the game or are they just ready for college ?

Seen it happen many a time. Senioritis. They lose the desire to play hard and play their best. No interest in being a leader of a team. Over the whole high school thing and ready to move on. Can be very frustrating for a coach and detrimental to a team.

Of course, all heck will break out if a coach for sits a player with this attitude.

It's their senior year. You can't take that away from them.

Well said Firebird. Reality does set in. All those years of commitment and money have led to nothing and they just want to be done with it. More interested in getting a job and working or spending time with their boyfriend.

After being involved in youth sports for many years as both a parent and a coach, I came to the conclusion that most kids have about 4 years of HIGH interest in a sport. If the kid is trully exceptional, they may stay interested longer, but most kids run out of gas, lose interest, after several years...and start looking for something else to do...inside sports or a job or other activities.

IF that is true, parents should be thinking about that when their 5th grade daughter starts agitating about making a year round commitmen to AAU basketball, e.g. If your kid will be wanting to move onto something else, do you want that to happen in the middle of high school?

In addition, the player/child is frequently better than the parent at undrstanding his/her abilities in the sport and where it puts them in the pecking order movin forward. "Dad, I'm not that good."

Or if they have had enough of the coach and the team isn't a contending team. Sometimes the coach will tend to look away from seniors and look at the younger kids for the next season?. pretty sad that some girls put in all that time since little…then don't enjoy their senior season.