Do you collect sports cards?

I am really embarrassed to admit this. I had a full set of Monkees cards.

Some of those 'old' off beat collector cards can be worth good money.
A set of 1962 Topps Mars Attacks cards has been known to fetch over $1K.

PS. for those that are thinking of tossing your cards ...
donate them to Goodwill / Salvation Army / VOA / etc...
take the tax deduction if you itemize.

:>---

Semper Fi

Last edited:
That’s something that will never make any sense to me. Forget about how you’re completely destroying the card, nobody can see the card from any moderate distance. It’s pointless.

I do get a chuckle thinking about how some dumb a** Boomer must get sick to his stomach on a frequent basis bc he decided to stick a Mickey Mantle Rookie card in his spokes. Today that card is worth at least 6 figures.

Last edited:
That’s something that will never make any sense to me. Forget about how you’re completely destroying the card, nobody can see the card from any moderate distance. It’s pointless.

I do get a chuckle thinking about how some dumb a** Boomer must get sick to his stomach on a frequent basis bc he decided to stick a Mickey Mantle Rookie card in his spokes. Today that card is worth at least 6 figures.
It wasn't there for anyone to see.

The card was to make noise like a motorcycle. To a kid, that was cool.

And no one stuck a Mickey Mantle card in there.

What has to make sense to a 12 year old boy? If it makes noise, even better goes vroom vroom or sounds like a fart, they're all for it. I wasn't a collector to collect. Never considered future value. I collected because friends collected. More for completist reasons than thinking it was some sort of investment. If I put a card into spokes, which I didn't because I didn't have a bike, it would just be to make a noise.

What has to make sense to a 12 year old boy? If it makes noise, even better goes vroom vroom or sounds like a fart, they're all for it. I wasn't a collector to collect. Never considered future value. I collected because friends collected. More for completist reasons than thinking it was some sort of investment. If I put a card into spokes, which I didn't because I didn't have a bike, it would just be to make a noise.

I kept my cards in good condition. I’m just not sure why you wouldn’t put a regular playing card in the spokes instead of something that’s meant to be collected.

I kept my cards in good condition. I’m just not sure why you wouldn’t put a regular playing card in the spokes instead of something that’s meant to be collected.

I can understand that. Not all assign that value to them though. They're just cards being collected to be completist. If you already have the card, might as well put it too use in spokes I guess. I probably just tossed mine unless I thought I could trade it for some card I didn't have. I KNOW good condition was never concern of mine. They were in my pocket, rubber band holding the deck.

Bringing this back to the top. Of all the industries that have flourished during the pandemic, none have done better than sports cards. It has gotten crazy, almost like the late 80s/early 90s. All those people that collected 20-40 years ago suddenly had time to go down to the basement to sift through their mostly worthless cards just to find a few that still held some value. That initial return to collecting has burst into a re-energized community for collecting sports cards. Some of the prices paid at auction for one of a kind cards is incredible.

Anyone else following the industry?

Has anyone followed NBA Top Shot? It’s a new type of virtual card built on the blockchain. None of the previous virtual cards really took of much from what I saw, but the hype around Top Shot is crazy.

If you are lucky enough to get a pack (basically a lotto system) you can easily resell common cards for $50 and expensive cards for hundreds if not thousands. Rare Lebron cards are going for like 10k

Sore subject with me.

I collected baseball cards when i was a kid. I had pretty much all of the 1968 Detroit Tigers. Most of the cards from 666-70. We moved in 1970.....and my cards were lost or thrown out.

I know for sure I had the 67 Tom Seave/Bill Denehey rookie card that I see is worth $2500.
Both my dad and my mom’s brother have similar stories. They both said they had some cards that would be worth some money now. My uncle rebuilt his collection and it helped him pay for college

I let it pass. Omar and I have had good discussions. I think it was a mood day. That other one though, smh. That guy's got issues, so I generally ignore his shots, which apparently makes me appear self important. ?

Hope you've been doing well. Should come back visit the neighborhood. It's... lol, it's the neighborhood. We're all still kind hearted argumentitive azzholes. Same as always. Nevada though... is in a very bad way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone followed NBA Top Shot? It’s a new type of virtual card built on the blockchain. None of the previous virtual cards really took of much from what I saw, but the hype around Top Shot is crazy.

If you are lucky enough to get a pack (basically a lotto system) you can easily resell common cards for $50 and expensive cards for hundreds if not thousands. Rare Lebron cards are going for like 10k

One Lebron went for $208K....several others have gone over $100K. On the other hand they've had several issues with their releases and people aren't getting their money right away at the time of sales.

One Lebron went for $208K....several others have gone over $100K. On the other hand they've had several issues with their releases and people aren't getting their money right away at the time of sales.
Insane. I created an account a couple weeks ago. Haven’t gotten lucky on pack release yet. Figure I might as well try because it’s basically free money at this point (although like you said withdrawals are sketch so far, since it’s official with the NBA I assume that’ll be resolved)

Insane. I created an account a couple weeks ago. Haven’t gotten lucky on pack release yet. Figure I might as well try because it’s basically free money at this point (although like you said withdrawals are sketch so far, since it’s official with the NBA I assume that’ll be resolved)

Same, I've tried to get a pack just to get in....but haven't been able to and I'm not going to sit at my computer all day and wait for updates. I do expect prices to eventually even out a bit as more and more cards (whatever they're called) are released.

so... these aren't real cards? You can't touch and hold? They're like bitcoin with photos or what?
Basically. The one cool feature that I don’t remember seeing with past virtual cards is some of these are not static photos but gifs so for example the “card” will be a Lebron drunk or steph curry 3 rather then just their picture. Cool concept that they could do a lot with for game winning shots or other iconic moments.

I doubt the current prices hold up, but with the $ they are bringing in it’s a sure thing the NFL and NBA follow suit

I let it pass. Omar and I have had good discussions. I think it was a mood day. That other one though, smh. That guy's got issues, so I generally ignore his shots, which apparently makes me appear self important. ?

Hope you've been doing well. Should come back visit the neighborhood. It's... lol, it's the neighborhood. We're all still kind hearted argumentitive azzholes. Same as always. Nevada though... is in a very bad way.
Yeah, that issue the other day on Nevada St. occurred at the house I grew up in.

Does anyone actively collect sports cards on here? Did you collect cards in the past?
I collected from age 8 to about 15. I have a brother who has been an active collector for over 65 years. His basement is like a museum. I'm sure it's worth many, many thousands of dollars.

I collected from age 8 to about 15. I have a brother who has been an active collector for over 65 years. His basement is like a museum. I'm sure it's worth many, many thousands of dollars.
Now is the time to dig in. Single cards are going for crazy money.

My ex called me a loser for collecting cards as a kid. I decided to take them to a dealer after the divorce, they bought the lot for $1,600. I left and bought a 2012 Harley Fat boy! ?

My buddy’s best friend just died and his mom asked him to clean out her sons room because she was too upset, thought he had weapons, etc and asked if my buddy wanted to buy anything he found. He said he’d just give her $2500 for the whole room and empty it down to the furniture. Well, he found five Shaq rookie cards, a few Jordan rookie cards, a Joe Montana rookie card and tons more all in VG condition he said, plus a bunch of guns, and two Rolex watches both worth $15-20K. Interestingly, he found a Jordan watch still unopened that was made by Wilson...so before Jordan was sponsored by Nike. Lots of other collectibles too. He said he thought all together he had $80-100,000 worth of stuff. My buddy is stand up guy so he said he’d take his $2500 and a fee for the work and give the profit back his mom and his sister. I can’t say with a straight face that I’d do the same lol. I told him he was basically playing “Storage Wars”, like that show on TV.

My buddy’s best friend just died and his mom asked him to clean out her sons room because she was too upset, thought he had weapons, etc and asked if my buddy wanted to buy anything he found. He said he’d just give her $2500 for the whole room and empty it down to the furniture. Well, he found five Shaq rookie cards, a few Jordan rookie cards, a Joe Montana rookie card and tons more all in VG condition he said, plus a bunch of guns, and two Rolex watches both worth $15-20K. Interestingly, he found a Jordan watch still unopened that was made by Wilson...so before Jordan was sponsored by Nike. Lots of other collectibles too. He said he thought all together he had $80-100,000 worth of stuff. My buddy is stand up guy so he said he’d take his $2500 and a fee for the work and give the profit back his mom and his sister. I can’t say with a straight face that I’d do the same lol. I told him he was basically playing “Storage Wars”, like that show on TV.
Nice move, he will be rewarded. KARMA

All my Yankee cards went on my bike,sometimes four at a time because I hated them and still feel the same...BAM!

A couple weeks ago Top Shot released a generic pack anyone could buy for $9.99 during their window. It just arrived this week. I had 3 common cards and was able to resell each for $20. The market is insane.

I’m going to keep trying to get one of their more rare packs.

Patrick Mahomes selling $3.4M of NFTs in 20 minutes is interesting. If players can cut out the Top Shot type companies it could be huge for them

All my Yankee cards went on my bike,sometimes four at a time because I hated them and still feel the same...BAM!

I recommend for your viewing pleasure ...
The Yankees get there azzes handed to them!!!
PS ~ you can even have your wife watch it with you.

:>---

SALT