Division VII State Championship: Marion Local (12-2) vs. Lucas (13-1)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 15+

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Marion Local by 8-14

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lucas by 1-7

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Lucas by 8-14

• Lucas by 15+

• Total voters
Lucas kept Lima Central Catholic's offense to it's lowest point total all year in week 10. The score was 14-7 with LCC winning.

I'm not saying that LCC was as good as Marion was but LCC had a very explosive offense until that week. I heard from people that said the game was a very physical game.

In my opinion this game "could" be closer than most people think, but it's hard to bet against Marion Local in the playoffs.

These scores make me believe Lucas can keep it close and possibly win.

Watterson 31, Marion Local 7
Watterson 17, St. Charles 3
Lucas 20, St. Charles 8

Now, tell me how wrong I am...

I may be way off here, but as long as ML is still suiting up high school kids the same ages as the Lucas kids are, Lucas has a shot.

ML is an insanely successful HS football program. I respect the hell out of what they have accomplished. But to say Lucas is gonna be run over in the first quarter is just ridiculous. Lucas has bottled up some great teams this year. Teams that have played ML tight in years past (Cuyahoga Heights and LCC). Lucas is a damn good, super physical football team. The MAC is legendary, no doubt. However, the statements about the super human physicality coming from their conference are a little much. I am sure they do play hard nosed physical football. I have little doubt of this. In saying that, there are other schools who do too. Lucas in one of them.

This Lucas team has a chance to win. Count on that.

Last edited:
These scores make me believe Lucas can keep it close and possibly win.

Watterson 31, Marion Local 7
Watterson 17, St. Charles 3
Lucas 20, St. Charles 8

Now, tell me how wrong I am....Go!

I may be way off here, but as long as ML is still suiting up high school kids the same ages as the Lucas kids are, Lucas has a shot.

ML is an insanely successful HS football program. I respect the hell out of what they have accomplished. But to say Lucas is gonna be run over in the first quarter is just ridiculous. Lucas is a damn good, super physical football team. The MAC is legendary, no doubt. However, the statements about the super human physicality coming from their conference are a little much. I am sure they do play hard nosed physical football. I have little doubt of this. In saying that, there are other schools who do too.

This Lucas team has a chance to win. Count on that.

Don't make too much of a week two loss by MSML. Again, comparing scores is often worthless. Lucas lost to LCC. LCC lost to Fairview. Anna beat Fairview by 34 and MSML beat Anna, holding the Anna offense to 7 points( other Anna td was by their defense)All these scores are worthless come Dec 7

Last edited:
I have no dog in the fight but Fairview beat LCC 29-27, Anna beat Fairview 54-20, ML beat Anna 17-14. Transitive property doesn't always work. Anything can happen but I think it is fair to say Lucas is the biggest underdog in all 7 games.

I have no dog in the fight but Fairview beat LCC 29-27, Anna beat Fairview 54-20, ML beat Anna 17-14. Transitive property doesn't always work. Anything can happen but I think it is fair to say Lucas is the biggest underdog in all 7 games.
Just the way we like it!

Don't make too much of a week two loss by MSML. Again, comparing scores are often worthless. Lucas lost to LCC. LCC lost to Fairview. Anna beat Fairview by 34 and MSML beat Anna, holding the Anna offense to 7 points( other Anna td was by their defense)All these scores are worthless come Dec 7
I agree. It'll all play out on the 7th.

Not going to lie I am very excited for this game. I'm really, really interested to see how Lucas' offense (double wing) affects this game. Just out of curiosity, how many non-Lucas people on this thread have seen the double wing in action?

Not going to lie I am very excited for this game. I'm really, really interested to see how Lucas' offense (double wing) affects this game. Just out of curiosity, how many non-Lucas people on this thread have seen the double wing in action?

LCC and Versailles (in prior seasons) has run the double wing of which Marion has played both. Trust me, This scheme is not going to be the difference in this game. It will come down to execution by the players. Lucas played a competitive game vs. LCC so Im sure they are a good team and This Marion team surely isn't one of their monster teams in the past but they are a quality program, well coached, fundamentally sound. Good Luck

I dont think this will be a blowout by any means. For 3 reasons. It is extremely difficult to constantly defend a well executed double wing T on only a weeks worth of film prep and practice; one missed defensive assignment and it's off to the races. Lucas is extremely physical (manhandled a mediocre but nonetheless D2 team up front) and the 3rd is that Lucas can grind possessions out with that offense. They will most definitely try to play keep away from the Flyers as long as they are in the game. I still see Marion Local winning, but within a 1-2 score difference.

I dont think this will be a blowout by any means. For 3 reasons. It is extremely difficult to constantly defend a well executed double wing T on only a weeks worth of film prep and practice; one missed defensive assignment and it's off to the races. Lucas is extremely physical (manhandled a mediocre but nonetheless D2 team up front) and the 3rd is that Lucas can grind possessions out with that offense. They will most definitely try to play keep away from the Flyers as long as they are in the game. I still see Marion Local winning, but within a 1-2 score difference.

I look for the Flyers to throw. Defensively, the Flyers can only hope that defending Annas run game helped prepare them just a little for what the Cubs will bring.

I saw Lucas has a second team all-state lineman Blake Coffman, 5-11, 290, sr. Congrats to him for the honor. Does he play both ways, and how big are your offensive and defensive lines?

I saw Lucas has a second team all-state lineman Blake Coffman, 5-11, 290, sr. Congrats to him for the honor. Does he play both ways, and how big are your offensive and defensive lines?
Lucas averages around 240 on both the O and D lines. They have two great RBs who both have ran for 1000+ yards. Zirzow has approximately 1,900 (6.5 ypc) with well over 20 TDs and Sauder has near 1,300 (7.5 ypc) with 10+ TDs. Their QB Niswander is a great runner as well, and has around 20 TDs combined. Offensively, they run the double wing, but they can throw it as well. Niswander is a D1 pitching recruit with a great arm. IMO, the defense is their strength. They have a good rotation on the DL with 6-7 good sized kids including the All-Ohioan Coffman. Two more All-Ohioans (Zirzow and Arnold) reside in their linebacking core. They are great tacklers with good instincts. The 2 time and 1st team All-Ohioan Niswander (6'-3, 215) plays safety and All-Ohioan Hauger plays CB. They have bottled up some prolific offenses this season holding LCC to 14 and Cuyahoga Heights to 13. Playing the 8th hardest schedule in D7, Lucas only allowed 12 points per game pitching two shutouts.

Their two loses were razor thin close. The Northmor game (week 3) was played on the night of a colossal rain storm. Northmor led 14-13 at the half when the rains came. The game was delayed close to two hours and no one could move the ball in the second half on a super sloppy field. In week 10, Lucas had LCC on the ropes with a first and goal from the half yard line with 30 seconds remaining. On 1st down, as Niswander was sneaking the ball across the goal line, they called Lucas for a false start backing us up 5. The next play, Lucas fumbled and LCC recovered it. Afterwards we found out our coach was going to go for 2 and the win.

Last edited:
Lucas averages around 240 on both the O and D lines. They have two great RBs who both have ran for 1000+ yards. Zirzow is nearing 1,700 with well over 20 TDs and Sauder has around 1,100 with 10+ TDs. Their QB Niswander is a great runner as well, and has around 20 TDs combined. Offensively, they run the double wing, but they can throw it as well. Niswander is a D1 pitching recruit with a great arm. IMO, the defense is their strength. They have a good rotation on the DL with 6-7 good sized kids including the All-Ohioan Coffman. Two more All-Ohioans (Zirzow and Arnold) reside in their linebacking core. They are great tacklers with good instincts. The 2 time and 1st team All-Ohioan Niswander (6'-3, 215) plays safety and All-Ohioan Hauger plays CB. They have bottled up some prolific offenses this season holding LCC to 14 and Cuyahoga Heights to 13. Playing the 8th hardest schedule in D7, Lucas only allowed 12 points per game pitching two shutouts.

Their two loses were razor thin close. The Northmor game (week 3) was played on the night of a colossal rain storm. Northmor led 14-13 at the half when the rains came. The game was delayed close to two hours and no one could move the ball in the second half on a super sloppy field. In week 10, Lucas had LCC on the ropes with a first and goal from the half yard line with 30 seconds remaining. On 1st down, as Niswander was sneaking the ball across the goal line, they called Lucas for a false start backing us up 5. The next play, Lucas fumbled and LCC recovered it. Afterwards we found out our coach was going to go for 2 and the win.
Thanks for the info, I can tell you are very passionate about your team. Enjoy the week, it is always a great week of expectations leading up to the big game.

Other Marion posters can do a better job on the overall stats for Marion's players.

But here are the basics of Marion's team.

Pro-style offense, will vary from QB under center 2 tight and 2 RB's, to shotgun formation with 4 wideouts. It is usually some variation in-between.

First year starting QB is a senior - has had a very good year as a first year starter.
Tail back by committee - 3 kids that all run hard, Otte has more speed and elusiveness
Full Back - Hard runner
Offensive line is on the smaller side average size 210 to 220, but very solid
Recievers - Huelsman has the best hands, good size, Otte has more speed.

The Offense had new starters at almost every position, so they started the year very slow, and have greatly improved.

Like Lucas, defense and special times have been great for Marion this year. I am not going to guess what our standard defensive front will be against the wing T. The coaches will modify the front accordingly. The three teams that were able to score on Marion did it through the air. Anna, a prolific running team, who is playing in the D6 final has put almost 40 on everyone, except Marion.

Weather looks great, hope for an exciting competitive game, and a Marion win

Lucas lost week 10 to Lima Central Catholic 14-7.
Lima CC lost the following week to Fairview 29-27
Fairview lost the following week to Anna 54-20
Anna lost to ML in week 5 17-14

So we know that comparing teams and projecting results based on this is really just a crapshoot....but I'm gonna roll with it :)

ML 35
Lucas 14

Could care less what kind of offense Lucas runs, it is all about execution and defensively can Lucas defend the pass. Reason MAC schools succeed in the play offs is because so many teams they play in the play offs have no comprehension on how to defend a passing offense or how to throw the football effectively when their behind. This game comes down to basically can Lucas run the football and win the time of possession and defensively limiting Huelsman and Otte's big play capability.

Only chance Lucas has is long ball control drives and then make a few big plays. ML can be beat but they don’t usually beat their self. I will say blow out. Could be running clock by 4th. ML ties record at 11.

The most amazing thing is this is not one of Marion Locals better teams yet they are still here and people still are talking about how good they are compared to the rest of the state. That speaks in and of itself right there.

Max Preps
1. ML
2. A four loss PH team who just got absolutely demolished
3. FL
4. Lucas

I can see if you feel FL is the second best team, they lost in OT, but come on with PH at #2, guys! Lol.
Love it! The hits keep coming! Lucas against the world! Let's GOOOOOO, CUBS!!!!

The most amazing thing is this is not one of Marion Locals better teams yet they are still here and people still are talking about how good they are compared to the rest of the state. That speaks in and of itself right there.
Agreed speaks a lot about Tim Goodwin ( although Charlie Huelsman has been a big surprise ) also says a lot about D - 7.

Don't usually put much stock into MaxPreps because they don't always have all the results....but this guy does:

Same top 4.....but 2 - 6 are really close

Don't usually put much stock into MaxPreps because they don't always have all the results....but this guy does:

Same top 4.....but 2 - 6 are really close
I agree about the rankings, but come on! PH got boat-raced. Makes no sense at all. Harvest Prep was supposedly the only team that could give ML a game and Lucas beat them!

Max Preps
1. ML
2. A four loss PH team who just got absolutely demolished
3. FL
4. Lucas

I can see if you feel FL is the second best team, they lost in OT, but come on with PH at #2, guys! Lol.
Love it! The hits keep coming! Lucas against the world! Let's GOOOOOO, CUBS!!!!
In fairness to PH, if they play a running team last week, it may be a 1 or 2 score game, which allows PH to keep running. PH could not defend the run/pass combo , and the mismatches that were created. Last week against PH may have been the first time Marion passed for 300 yards this year.

This may be as down as Division VII has ever been as a whole. Region 26 usually turns out some good teams and it just wasn't very good at all this year. Region 25 and 27 weren't anything to write home about and Region 28 had two teams at the top and a monster gap between 3-8. Even for Marion, this is their weakest team in years. If there was a time to knock them off, this is/was the year. Fort Loramie came close, but no cigar. As much as Lucas would be a feel good story, I don't think they can hang in there for four quarters. I do think it may be closer than some think.

Interestingly enough, both ML and Lucas came oh so close to bowing out. Lucas in the first round and Marion in the second.....yet here they both are.

Lucas averages around 240 on both the O and D lines. They have two great RBs who both have ran for 1000+ yards. Zirzow has approximately 1,900 (6.5 ypc) with well over 20 TDs and Sauder has near 1,300 (7.5 ypc) with 10+ TDs. Their QB Niswander is a great runner as well, and has around 20 TDs combined. Offensively, they run the double wing, but they can throw it as well. Niswander is a D1 pitching recruit with a great arm. IMO, the defense is their strength. They have a good rotation on the DL with 6-7 good sized kids including the All-Ohioan Coffman. Two more All-Ohioans (Zirzow and Arnold) reside in their linebacking core. They are great tacklers with good instincts. The 2 time and 1st team All-Ohioan Niswander (6'-3, 215) plays safety and All-Ohioan Hauger plays CB. They have bottled up some prolific offenses this season holding LCC to 14 and Cuyahoga Heights to 13. Playing the 8th hardest schedule in D7, Lucas only allowed 12 points per game pitching two shutouts.

can Lucas throw the ball?

Agreed speaks a lot about Tim Goodwin ( although Charlie Huelsman has been a big surprise ) also says a lot about D - 7.
More the latter.

Seriously it's D7. ML is a fantastic program and they play who's in their division. But it's D7.

Cue the many posters saying I am not giving them credit.

More the latter.

Seriously it's D7. ML is a fantastic program and they play who's in their division. But it's D7.

Cue the many posters saying I am not giving them credit.

No, you’re definitely giving them credit in a back-handed way. I’m fine with playing in D5, D6, D7, whatever. We play with whoever lives in our district, and there aren’t that many that do that anymore.

Everyone does realize that Division 7 was created when they split Division 1 into 2 divisions. Division 7 is basically what Division 6 was 6 years ago minus 6 to 8 teams. If you look at the scores in Marion's past playoff runs, they are historically similar. Most games are 20 to 30 points, with one really close game on the way to the finals. The finals are blowouts 50% of the time. Marion has closer games when they sneak into the next larger division. Whether that was Divion 5 in 2007, or now Division 6 in 2015.
If you look back to 2000 and 2001, in Division 6, Marion won every game by 40 plus, except for the state semis each year, which were 1 score games.
So, my question is has division 6/7 been terrible for 20 years.