Division VII State Championship: Marion Local (12-2) vs. Lucas (13-1)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 15+

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Marion Local by 8-14

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lucas by 1-7

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Lucas by 8-14

• Lucas by 15+

• Total voters

This ones over in 1st quarter. Running clock 2nd half. Lucas unfortunately won't be able to compete with a MAC dynasty. But hey they made it to the finals!!

Marion Local is the overwhelming favorite, and deservedly so. Undefeated in and against D7, right? MSML has been so dang dominant.

On the other hand, no one makes the state championship by accident. Pardon the cliché.

You would have to think Lucas needs the following three keys to be in a position to win this: 1) win the turnover margin (duh), 2) find a way to get the ball moved downfield out in space consistently with it interwoven into their patented double-wing under center (it can’t just come out as a ‘last resort’/‘two minute offense’; Lucas has some athletes and they need to get them in play outside), 3) seal the edges as well as they did against HP (Lucas has a gritty D-line and a disciplined linebacking corps that commits at the snap, no hesitation.) There’s absolutely no reason to think Lucas can’t stay in the game and pull off the upset so long as Lucas plays state championship-caliber football (which they’re capable of!) But it requires everything coming together, it requires confidence and it requires the mental fortitude to have respect for what your opponent can do BUT NOT BE intimidated by it. And I mean, hey, that road to Canton was four weeks of perseverance for Lucas. Their heads are in check and they know it’s a blessing to have made it this far.

Good luck, Cubs. Bring it home. Play the game you’ve been capable of, you haven’t backed down or faltered yet in the face of adversity. Do your job, don’t fumble the ball, keep picking each other up and the cards will fall where they may.

Marion Local is the overwhelming favorite, and deservedly so. Undefeated in and against D7, right? MSML has been so dang dominant.

On the other hand, no one makes the state championship by accident. Pardon the cliché.

You would have to think Lucas needs the following three keys to be in a position to win this: 1) win the turnover margin (duh), 2) find a way to get the ball moved downfield out in space consistently with it interwoven into their patented double-wing under center (it can’t just come out as a ‘last resort’/‘two minute offense’; Lucas has some athletes and they need to get them in play outside), 3) seal the edges as well as they did against HP (Lucas has a gritty D-line and a disciplined linebacking corps that commits at the snap, no hesitation.) There’s absolutely no way to think Lucas can’t stay in the game and pull off the upset so long as Lucas plays state championship-caliber football (which they’re capable of!) But it requires everything coming together, it requires confidence and it requires the mental fortitude to have respect for what your opponent can do BUT NOT BE intimidated by it. And I mean, hey, that road to Canton was four weeks of perseverance for Lucas. Their heads are in check and they know it’s a blessing to have made it this far.

Good luck, Cubs.
Just out of curiosity what is Lucas's size up front and on the DL?

On the shorter and wider side. I think it has been stated somewhere on here that they average around 240. They're stocky.
Got it. Thanks. I just know time and time again I have seen MAC teams come into the state finals and just maul opponents who can't handle the physicality of the MAC (and history does speak for itself when you talk about this league). This is one of the smaller Marion Local teams I have seen personally but they are just a very good defensive team that plays fundamental football and with Tim Goodwin as the head coach I don't think I need to say more on that.

So Lucas primarily runs the ball out of a double wing? What percentage of their snaps are passes?

Marion Local's 3 State Championship losses were to Columbus Grove and Kirtland ( twice ) both power running teams. If Lucas can establish a running game early and stick with it they can win, but if they can't game could be over by halftime.

Marion Local's 3 State Championship losses were to Columbus Grove and Kirtland ( twice ) both power running teams. If Lucas can establish a running game early and stick with it they can win, but if they can't game could be over by halftime.
I do agree but I don’t think a Blaine Maag is trotting onto the field for Lucas next week haha

I do agree but I don’t think a Blaine Maag is trotting onto the field for Lucas next week haha
The year Columbus Grove beat Marion with Blaine Maag, Marion made the tournament with a 5-5 record as an 8 seed. If you are going to beat Marion by running this year, you better have Kirtlands size and run over Marion. Otherwise it will take a balanced attack to score on Marion.
Marion 33
Lucas 7

I have seen Lucas a couple times, they most closely remind me of Covington and a CCC style team. Good enough to potentially give Marion trouble at best, but on an average night, Marion's style and toughness will likely prevail.

The year Columbus Grove beat Marion with Blaine Maag, Marion made the tournament with a 5-5 record as an 8 seed. If you are going to beat Marion by running this year, you better have Kirtlands size and run over Marion. Otherwise it will take a balanced attack to score on Marion.
Marion 33
Lucas 7
ML was 7 - 3 that year with Cory Luebke at QB.

Lucas not being given a chance here.

I think anyone not named Kirtland is going to be given little chance by the general public in this situation. Marion Local has proven itself in the finals time and again. But the teams still have to line up and go at it. The Flyers' history doesn't mean much on Dec 7th.

Go Flyers!

Lucas has a very deep belief in themselves and one another, that is tough to beat. They will fight to the bitter end but I think the Locals prevail in the end. Should be a helluva game though. The Cubs are very "MACish" if not in their style of play, then in their attitude and sense of community.

Marion 33
Lucas 7
As stirred has stated, ML was 7-3 in 2003 - defeated by Coldwater 7-0, blowout loss to Versailles 37-0 (Tigers won D-IV state), and blowout loss to DSJ 35-7. I believe those scores are correct. And ML was the first 8 seed to reach a state final.
The title game against CG was a great contest. ML passing attack vs Blaine Maag rushing. Flyers lost 28-26 with CG taking a knee late only a yard or two from scoring again.
CG was the better team but ML gave a gallant effort and kept it close.