Division VII Poll Voting Discussion (2019 Preseason)

1. McComb
2. Maria Stein Marion Local
3. Fort Loramie
4. Edgerton
5. Lucas
6. Pandora-Gilboa

7. Mohawk
8. Patrick Henry
9. Leipsic
10. Warren JFK

Updated 8-6-19

Mohawk and Pandora graduated most their best players, but good list

I have noticed a ton of people talking about how some of last year's better teams (McComb, MSML, P-G, Mohawk, Convoy, Harvest Prep, etc) lost a ton of talent. Seems this year could be a year where a dark horse could take the state title.

I have noticed a ton of people talking about how some of last year's better teams (McComb, MSML, P-G, Mohawk, Convoy, Harvest Prep, etc) lost a ton of talent. Seems this year could be a year where a dark horse could take the state title.
Marion Local lost their quarterback (and most likely others), but I would be completely shocked if they didn't roll through the playoffs and win state by multiple TDs. No one in D7, outside of thier fellow MAC opponents should come within striking distance of this team. Too well coached and a powerhouse year after year.

1. MSML
2. Ft Loramie
3. McDonald
4. Harvest Prep
5. Edgerton
6. Shadyside
7. Lucas
8. St Paul
9. Fisher Catholic
10. Cuyahoga Heights

To me, it doesn’t personally matter how close my poll looks to the final results poll because basically every team mentioned in this thread so far is going to have as good of an argument as others to at least be noted in the “receiving votes” section. There were a few teams like Leipsic and Warren JFK who I didn’t fret about passing over in favor of teams like McDonald and FC since I’m convinced those two were gonna get their votes anyways and I personally don’t know enough about them to think they had ostensibly stronger arguments to be in my top 10 than who I put in there.

Marion Local lost their quarterback (and most likely others), but I would be completely shocked if they didn't roll through the playoffs and win state by multiple TDs. No one in D7, outside of thier fellow MAC opponents should come within striking distance of this team. Too well coached and a powerhouse year after year.

Can't really agree with that considering the amount Marion Local has to replace. This likely won't be the type of Marion Local team folks are used to seeing. The last time MSML was in D7, they had one of the better teams in the whole state without respect to division. D7 will probably never see a team like the 2014 MSML team again. Heck, they shutout a Coldwater team that put up 62 points on a pretty good Canton Central team in the D5 final. This year's Marion Local team is far from a lock to win state.

I like this list. I figure McComb and MSML are going to be the favorites until someone knocks them off. McComb, defending state champion & MSML, undefeated all-time in D7. In saying that, if they are indeed not coming back as strong as usual, look out. This division could be WIDE OPEN for the taking.

What do you know about Cuyahoga Heights? Haven't seen anyone rank them as high as you.

I like this list. I figure McComb and MSML are going to be the favorites until someone knocks them off. McComb, defending state champion & MSML, undefeated all-time in D7. In saying that, if they are indeed not coming back as strong as usual, look out. This division could be WIDE OPEN for the taking.

What do you know about Cuyahoga Heights? Haven't seen anyone rank them as high as you.
Only lost 6 seniors off a team that won region 25 last year. Return their qb and their head coach has been there 20+ years. Think they have made the playoffs 12 straight years

CH the last 3 years have 2 state runner ups and 3 regional titles, so a high ranking isn’t anything crazy. Though it could be argued last year they weren’t even a top 10 D7 team (F50 had them 15 at end of year).

Here’s my list:
1. Marion Local
2. McComb
3. Fort Loramie
4. Leipsic
5: Cuyahoga Heights
6: Lucas
7: McDonald
8: JFK
9: Pandora
10: Shadyside

[/QUOTE

We cant sleep on the Shadyside Tigers. Seems like they get no love being a small river town from the unassuming OVAC. However, this program has stayed relevant on the state level for years and you can’t ever count them out because of great coaching and culture. They may have only missed the playoffs a couple of times in the last twenty years with two finals appearances. I’m not exactly sure how much they return, but I could see them making some noise ad always. The front end of their schedule is tough with games against Martins Ferry, Mogadore and Wheeling Central. Its pains me to write so many good things about Shadyside being from a rival school, but have to give credit where its due. Great program year in and year out.

CH the last 3 years have 2 state runner ups and 3 regional titles, so a high ranking isn’t anything crazy. Though it could be argued last year they weren’t even a top 10 D7 team (F50 had them 15 at end of year).

Here’s my list:
1. Marion Local
2. McComb
3. Fort Loramie
4. Leipsic
5: Cuyahoga Heights
6: Lucas
7: McDonald
8: JFK
9: Pandora
10: Shadyside

OHfootball3, Love for Shadyside from kingpin2010. I think R27 comes down to them, Harvest Prep or Newark Catholic.

OHfootball3, Love for Shadyside from kingpin2010. I think R27 comes down to them, Harvest Prep or Newark Catholic.

I only replied to your post because you mentioned a dark horse. I think Shadyside fits into that category, just failed to make that connection in my post. Most of the D7 talk is in NW Ohio and deservedly so. Those teams are great, especially MSML. I just wouldnt be surprised to see a team like Shadyside up there. Fort Frye got in their way last year. They stayed in D6 so i think you’re right, those are the three teams to watch in R27.

A lot of these lists look pretty good. I figure Marion Local will be good, McComb is the defending champ, CH has some really good pieces coming back. It will be the usual suspects in most cases. But do not underestimate JFK. I think we have a chance to be even better than I thought. Lost only 5 seniors and return all their skill, line will average about 260ish and roster is approaching 50 players. If they can get through the region with Lucas, McDonald, CH etc they could be around come December.

R27 will be interesting this year. I think Shadyside will be the best team, but Harvest Prep is who I believe has the most potential to make it to Stark County if they play their ‘A’ game every week.

I don’t necessarily think Newark Catholic has a more convincing case to be in the regional champion picture than Fisher Cath would, either. I think NC and FC will be the same caliber. Maybe a half-notch or two behind HP and Shadyside, I think there will be a little drop-off between the Catholics and the last four teams to make it in. The complete dearth of Region 27 posters here, absent myself, makes it hard to truly scale out and read the region past “what’s obvious”.

1. McComb
2. Fort Loramie
3. Marion Local
4. Convoy Crestview
5. Lucas
6. Edgerton
7. Sycamore Mohawk
8. Shadyside
9. Mcdonald
10. Harvest Prep

I tried to be as fair and neutral as possible. We'll see if that continues as the season goes on. I'll put Marion at 3 for now but if they start 0-2 (I think they'll beat Woodburn Woodlan and go 1-1) they'll definitly drop.

A lot of these lists look pretty good. I figure Marion Local will be good, McComb is the defending champ, CH has some really good pieces coming back. It will be the usual suspects in most cases. But do not underestimate JFK. I think we have a chance to be even better than I thought. Lost only 5 seniors and return all their skill, line will average about 260ish and roster is approaching 50 players. If they can get through the region with Lucas, McDonald, CH etc they could be around come December.

Since D7 was added in 2013, only two teams outside the MAC have won state. Those two being McComb and JFK. Based on what you're expecting from JFK, I'd have to put McComb and JFK in my top 5 since they've done it already in D7.

This is going to be a really down year in Division VII...like really, really down. The most wide open it’s ever been.

This is going to be a really down year in Division VII...like really, really down. The most wide open it’s ever been.
How do you figure that the division is "really, really down"? Is it because people are saying thst Marion Local isn't as strong as they normally are? For the most part it should be business as usual and the same teams will still be hanging around towards the end of the season.

Can't really agree with that considering the amount Marion Local has to replace. This likely won't be the type of Marion Local team folks are used to seeing. The last time MSML was in D7, they had one of the better teams in the whole state without respect to division. D7 will probably never see a team like the 2014 MSML team again. Heck, they shutout a Coldwater team that put up 62 points on a pretty good Canton Central team in the D5 final. This year's Marion Local team is far from a lock to win state.
I would bet the farm on Marion Local to win state. It's odd. Marion Local faithful are always humble pre-season. But when the season starts, its cut throat.

Come on man. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 State Champs. 2015 and 2018 runners up. Haha. Undefeated all time when in D7. Only 5 or 6 losses in the past 6 years.

I'm not saying Marion Local can't have a "down year" but not when they bring the talent and tradition down to D7. I don't believe they will win the MAC. I believe that someone else will take the crown this year. But again.....anyone that looks at these numbers and has ML anywhere but #1 on their list is just playing coy or doesn't know who we are talking about.

McComb won’t be last years team. They lost their home run hitters . And some of the best linebackers in D7 . BUT they will probably have a better O line and very good D line . They are gonna be tough just not sure about state championship team tough.

McComb won’t be last years team. They lost their home run hitters . And some of the best linebackers in D7 . BUT they will probably have a better O line and very good D line . They are gonna be tough just not sure about state championship team tough.
I wonder if their numbers will be up compared to last year.

I agree. Saw them in a 7 on 7 the past two years and they were a LEGIT team last year, but this years team looked nothing like last years. All their receivers are short, slow and skinny. If you say their lines will be good, that might be enough to win the BVC. However they pull Arlington, Leipsic, Pandora and Liberty Benton this year. i’m not sure i see them doing better than 2-2 in those games.