Division VI State Semifinal: Mechanicsburg (11-2) vs. Anna (12-1)

Who wins?

• Mechanicsburg by 15+

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Mechanicsburg by 8-14

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Mechanicsburg by 1-7

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Anna by 1-7

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Anna by 8-14

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Anna by 15+

Votes: 53 55.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But when you have a suitable location almost directly in the center of 2 participating schools as evenly spaced as you can get, it would be foolish not to have it there
I have nothing in this but just feel the way OHSAA picks sites is crazy. Would love to hear the rationing on why a particular site was picked over others.
They will come up with a bullcrap answer when asked but we all know the real reason. Friendships among the higher ups, perks, bonuses, etc. When picking a neutral site, the OHSAA doesnt give a rat's who has to travel more. They put the game where they want it. Lucas has to travel 1 hr 30 minutes to Columbus for a D7 state semifinal and Harvest Prep has to drive across town. Makes zero sense.

They will come up with a bullcrap answer when asked but we all know the real reason. Friendships among the higher ups, perks, bonuses, etc. When picking a neutral site, the OHSAA doesnt give a rat's who has to travel more. They put the game where they want it. Lucas has to travel 1 hr 30 minutes to Columbus for a D7 state semifinal and Harvest Prep has to drive across town. Makes zero sense.
Amen. This Lucas fan is not too happy about it. Prep's 100 fans have a 15 minute drive. The Lucas faithful, could be over a 1,000, an hour plus.

Thrilled and blessed to still be playing, don't get me wrong. Just think this crap needs to stop.

Amen. This Lucas fan is not too happy about it. Prep's 100 fans have a 15 minute drive. The Lucas faithful, could be over a 1,000, an hour plus.

Thrilled and blessed to still be playing, don't get me wrong. Just think this crap needs to stop.

I feel for you all! And here I thought you had to be west of 75 north of 36 to get catered to in the small divisions, learned something new today.

If you go back in the playoff archives, this really didnt start until a few years ago. Until Snodgrass took over, used to be that distance was one of the first if not the first thing the OHSAA looked at. Jerry does a nice job, is a nice guy, but too nice if you ask me. Caters and caves in to politics.

Agree that there would be a BS answer, but there has to be some criteria for selecting a site established somewhere. This is what I would love to see. I know a few years back it was stated "Must have turf field" If that is checked then move on to next criteria. This is what I would want to see. What do they use to pick sites. If they cannot provide that, then they should be made to by the schools themselves since the schools are the OHSAA. FOr the record, Mt Vernon should have been the place for Lucas/Harvest Prep if we are using location to schools as part of the equation

Last edited:
I too get tired of people complaining about where games are played. We all know they want turf fields and then the biggest thing about picking sites the school has to want to have the game. The most perfect spot just might not be available because the school might not want to host. Thank goodness school like Piqua and Sidney are willing to host. Maybe other boosters and schools need to rethink their position on having games. From all reports it does not make the school rich hosting.

I too get tired of people complaining about where games are played. We all know they want turf fields and then the biggest thing about picking sites the school has to want to have the game. The most perfect spot just might not be available because the school might not want to host. Thank goodness school like Piqua and Sidney are willing to host. Maybe other boosters and schools need to rethink their position on having games. From all reports it does not make the school rich having games.
I cannot understand why people on here don't realize that a lot more goes into picking sites for the OHSAA than they would like to think.

I too get tired of people complaining about where games are played. We all know they want turf fields and then the biggest thing about picking sites the school has to want to have the game. The most perfect spot just might not be available because the school might not want to host. Thank goodness school like Piqua and Sidney are willing to host. Maybe other boosters and schools need to rethink their position on having games. From all reports it does not make the school rich hosting.

Everyone understands that. The argument is, why are neutral locations that make more geographic sense passed over - when we know in fact that they've submitted their names to host?

Can we turn this thread around? I do appreciate everyone’s position on the location concerns and they should be discussed. AT ANOTHER TIME and IN ANOTHER THREAD!

There are two really good football teams getting ready to play for a trip to Canton. Let’s get back to how good Anna is and they are from the Mac and therefore the Burg doesn’t have a chance......

Burg is healthy, when we played Anna in the scrimmage earlier in the year, Keith Bebout was out with a dislocated shoulder. Anna is big up front and I know they have a good RB and QB. I haven't watched any film on them other than seeing them in the scrimmage.

To some teams scrimmages matter, to some they don't. 15 weeks is a long time ago. New Bremen beat Marion by 2 scores 15 weeks ago in a scrimmage, and lost by 4 scores last weekend when it counted.

Burg is healthy, when we played Anna in the scrimmage earlier in the year, Keith Bebout was out with a dislocated shoulder. Anna is big up front and I know they have a good RB and QB. I haven't watched any film on them other than seeing them in the scrimmage.

I thought that was when Keith got hurt making a helluva catch in the scrimmage. And that was back in August. I know up in there, those people like to use the iron sharpens iron line and there’s truth in that but although not the same we were provided with pretty good iron down the stretch too.
One Thing I know is the boys will come out and fight and there will be a good plan in place.

I thought that was when Keith got hurt making a helluva catch in the scrimmage. And that was back in August. I know up in there, those people like to use the iron sharpens iron line and there’s truth in that but although not the same we were provided with pretty good iron down the stretch too.
One Thing I know is the boys will come out and fight and there will be a good plan in place.
You're right, he was hurt early. We were late getting there and by that time he was already out. I have no doubt that Burg will take the underdog role seriously. After all, Covington was supposed to beat us. I didn't even say we won the scrimmage, I said we held our own. I just don't think it's going to be a royal whipping but I've been wrong before about a million times lol

Anna pulls away in the 4th, 42-34. this will absolutely be a dog fight. good luck Burg, cheering for you from Enon country.

You're right, he was hurt early. We were late getting there and by that time he was already out. I have no doubt that Burg will take the underdog role seriously. After all, Covington was supposed to beat us. I didn't even say we won the scrimmage, I said we held our own. I just don't think it's going to be a royal whipping but I've been wrong before about a million times lol
I don't think this will be a royal whipping. Comes down to big plays and turnovers. Anna has scored 40 plus every game but Marion. I don't think that Burg gives up 40, but, I think Anna will score 30. I don't know if the Burg can score enough to win. Anna is very big and physical up front, and quick on the back end. I like rooting for the underdog, and want to pick Mechanicsburg, but my head says, Anna by 10.

To some teams scrimmages matter, to some they don't. 15 weeks is a long time ago. New Bremen beat Marion by 2 scores 15 weeks ago in a scrimmage, and lost by 4 scores last weekend when it counted.

My question is why are two schools from the same conference scrimmaging each other? I get they didn’t play each other during the regular season, but that is just a little weird to me lol

I gained a lot of respect for Mechanicsburg last week as they controlled the line of scrimmage against Covington.the Buccs were pretty small on defense and struggled against bigger lines. Burg is very well rounded, but I just feel Anna is going to wear them down as the game goes on and win the game by a couple scores. I hope I am wrong as I am pulling for Mechanicsburg since they beat my Buccs. Good luck.

My question is why are two schools from the same conference scrimmaging each other? I get they didn’t play each other during the regular season, but that is just a little weird to me lol
Marion Local and New Bremen didnt play each other in the regular season. Every 2 years the MAC realigns the teams from best to worst, #1 does not play #10, #2 doesnt play #9, etc .. for the next 2 years. This allows everyone to get an extra out of conference game, and pull in a few extra needed points(hopefully).

It was a three way scrimmage MSML, NB and Lima Shawnee. I am not sure why everyone says NB beat MSML? 1 vs 1 NB definitely did not ‘beat’ them, you could also tell emotionally it meant more to NB, but in the end scrimmages mean very little. I also don’t understand why people are saying WLS beat NB in their scrimmage? I was there, it was very even and you could definitely tell both coaches had certain elements of the game they were working on.
That being said I believe Anna wins this by more than two touchdowns, maybe for revenge for ‘getting beat’ in the scrimmage.

It was a three way scrimmage MSML, NB and Lima Shawnee. I am not sure why everyone says NB beat MSML? 1 vs 1 NB definitely did not ‘beat’ them, you could also tell emotionally it meant more to NB, but in the end scrimmages mean very little. I also don’t understand why people are saying WLS beat NB in their scrimmage? I was there, it was very even and you could definitely tell both coaches had certain elements of the game they were working on.
That being said I believe Anna wins this by more than two touchdowns, maybe for revenge for ‘getting beat’ in the scrimmage.

Most of those scrimmage comments came form West liberty fan WLS color in a drunken stupor. We all know the played and that just means there’s a little familiarness for each team. Anna is the best team from the best conference and the Burg has not seen an offense like this yet regular or post season. As good as west Jeff’s is this is a different look. Everyone talks about Huelskamp (hope I got that right spelling)
But bixler is pretty dang good too.

Last edited:
Anna is very solid defensively. Like MSML they can be a bit vulnerable against the pass, but over the course of 4 quarters they break you down. Personally I think the loss to MSML was more psychological than anything( no way of proving that) simply conjecture on my part. I tend to believe in some rivalries one team carries a mental edge over another from year to year. Marion seems to have that on Anna, similar to Coldwater over St. Henry. Anna has beaten everyone else by 21 or more all year. Don't know if those drubbings will continue the rest of the way, but it will take a team with good balance on offense, speed and very good team tackling on defense to upset them.

Anna is very solid defensively. Like MSML they can be a bit vulnerable against the pass, but over the course of 4 quarters they break you down. Personally I think the loss to MSML was more psychological than anything( no way of proving that) simply conjecture on my part. I tend to believe in some rivalries one team carries a mental edge over another from year to year. Marion seems to have that on Anna, similar to Coldwater over St. Henry. Anna has beaten everyone else by 21 or more all year. Don't know if those drubbings will continue the rest of the way, but it will take a team with good balance on offense, speed and very good team tackling on defense to upset them.
Hard to believe but Parkway gave Anna the closest game all season aside from MSML.