Division VI State Championship: New Middletown Springfield (14-0) vs. Anna (13-1)

Who wins?

• Anna by 15+

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Anna by 8-14

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Anna by 1-7

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Springfield by 8-14

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Springfield by 15+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never underestimate the MAC, but Springfield is of their caliber this year. Stop their QB, and they'll run the ball. Focus on the run, and they'll throw all over you. If it comes down to special teams, Springfield has those covered too.

Springfield has beaten really good teams this year including Columbiana, Western Reserve(twice), McDonald, Trimble, Mogadore and East Knox by multiple scores. Those 5 teams alone had a combined record of 50-9. Their closest game of all of them was Trimble, a state finalists last year, and other than that, it was Mogadore & McDonald(known perennial powers), whom they beat by 3 scores.

They have speed, size and tons of athleticism. They are a going to be all that Anna can handle. I think this will be the best game of all finals, and I'm still taking Springfield 24-21.

Any word on Bixler's health? I feel like Anna will need him to play in order to beat Springfield. They're a good football team, Anna will need all it's horses.

I never underestimate the MAC, but Springfield is of their caliber this year. Stop their QB, and they'll run the ball. Focus on the run, and they'll throw all over you. If it comes down to special teams, Springfield has those covered too.

Springfield has beaten really good teams this year including Columbiana, Western Reserve(twice), McDonald, Trimble, Mogadore and East Knox by multiple scores. Those 5 teams alone had a combined record of 50-9. Their closest game of all of them was Trimble, a state finalists last year, and other than that, it was Mogadore & McDonald(known perennial powers), whom they beat by 3 scores.

They have speed, size and tons of athleticism. They are a going to be all that Anna can handle. I think this will be the best game of all finals, and I'm still taking Springfield 24-21.
I will say NM Springfield looks good this year but I think I speak for a lot of NW Ohio people on here (including myself) when I say we have seen plenty of D5-D7 SE/Eastern Ohio teams come to state and get smacked in either the Semi's or the State Championship game by a MAC team and you can go back over 10 years and not one of the teams you mentioned above has beaten a MAC school at state. I think people are just going with history being on the side of the MAC is all. No disrespect, I'm just stating some facts if you look back through the OHSAA website.

I will say NM Springfield looks good this year but I think I speak for a lot of NW Ohio people on here (including myself) when I say we have seen plenty of D5-D7 SE/Eastern Ohio teams come to state and get smacked in either the Semi's or the State Championship game by a MAC team and you can go back over 10 years and not one of the teams you mentioned above has beaten a MAC school at state. I think people are just going with history being on the side of the MAC is all. No disrespect, I'm just stating some facts if you look back through the OHSAA website.
Not this year.

As stated above, this NMS is the caliber of MAC teams. They can run it, they can pass it and they can defend. Anna will have to play out of their minds to take down this sleeping giant.

NMS: 37
Anna: 20

Mogadore has won state championships, and beaten MAC teams to do it.

Springfield beat them by 3 TDs, and won a state semi final by 28 points. I highly doubt either team blows the other out. It'll be, in my opinion, the best game of all 7. The team who makes the less mistakes wins. Wish I didnt have to work, or I would go.

Not this year.

As stated above, this NMS is the caliber of MAC teams. They can run it, they can pass it and they can defend. Anna will have to play out of their minds to take down this sleeping giant.

Agree with everything but your score. It'll be closer than that. TD or FG will be the difference.

Agree with everything but your score. It'll be closer than that. TD or FG will be the difference.
I do have a question for Anna folks.

If you are to attempt a longer FG, would they trot out the kid who does the KO's? He seems to have a powerful leg and his KO's seem to routinely are deep and with great hang time to allow that #44 to come down and destroy someone.

The kid who does the EP seems to be accurate, but I wonder if they would need a longer FG if the KO guy would attempt.

Discuss.

Thank you, Stirred. If he would have read my post I only went back a little over 10 years. Must have forgotten Mogadore's 54-0 2000 lost to ML in the championship and 2001's 63-7 loss.

And Springfield isn't playing ML....10 years, 20 years, what difference does it make? Mogadore has 4 state championships in school history, they're a quality win always....Remember, this is both teams first trip here, there will be nerves!

And Springfield isn't playing ML....10 years, 20 years, what difference does it make? Mogadore has 4 state championships in school history, they're a quality win always....Remember, this is both teams first trip here, there will be nerves!
Agreed. Just wanted to make point. But I think this will be the best game this weekend hopefully!

Mogadore has won state championships, and beaten MAC teams to do it.

Springfield beat them by 3 TDs, and won a state semi final by 28 points. I highly doubt either team blows the other out. It'll be, in my opinion, the best game of all 7. The team who makes the less mistakes wins. Wish I didnt have to work, or I would go.
Mogadore lost to Springfield by 2 scores not three, no need to embellish Springfield is legit.

Springfield really didn't do anything until Brungard got there?? Hats off to Springfield for allowing him to join the staff, but he is much more to credit here than Guerriero (who is clearly following Brungard's lead so good for him)

What an irrational comment to make. You obviously have not coached football or any sport with that type of comment. I do not know you and apologize for my direct tone with you, however, your comment severely diminishes the accomplishment of the Springfield coaching STAFF as whole, of which Mr. Brungard is a part of. It does indeed start and stop with the head coach, so let's start with the head coach, Mr. Guerriero.
Mr. Brungard is not the only previous coach or head coach on the STAFF, maybe the most noticeable name, however one of a few. While this may seem of little importance to outside viewers, it shows an incredible, team first, no ego, win before me attitude of a head coach. To bring in others who have led, to stand alongside you without worry of who will get the credit. It displays confidence, not only in yourself but in your abilities to lead. Lead and work with not only the other men (coaches) in the room but to surround yourself with other obviously capable coaches to lead the youth. My hats off to a guy who can do that. For Brungard to leave Poland for the sake of coaching your own kid and spending more time with him, why would you not want a guy like that on the staff. I would be remiss if I did not mention the others as well, not just Mr. Brungard. I personally know a few of them and let me tell you what. Knowing them, as a father, in this world today, you could count your blessings if you are lucky enough to have your kid being coached and taught by these guys. So I for one take exception to your flippant comment that one individual, as good as he may be, is the reason for the success of the many.
These coaches start out in the heat of summer, sacrificing their time with family for the youth in the program. Working towards a common goal. To still be standing in early December is always the result of the STAFF and never of one individual. So hats off to ALL the coaches at Springfield led by Mr. Guerriero, bring it home!

Last edited:
Yes, this!! Springfield certainly has become better since Mr Brungard joined the staff, but they were plenty good before!! As a recentish SLHS alum, (been graduated for 4 years) I know the Brungard family and they’re a wonderful family, truly. Go Tigers!!
What an irresponsible comment to make. You obviously have not coached football or any sport with that type of comment. I do not know you and apologize for my direct tone with you, however, your comment severely diminishes the accomplishment of the Springfield coaching STAFF as whole, of which Mr. Brungard is a part of. It does indeed start and stop with the head coach, so let's start with the head coach, Mr. Guerriero.
Mr. Brungard is not the only previous coach or head coach on the STAFF, maybe the most noticeable name, however one of a few. While this may seem of little importance to outside viewers, it shows an incredible, team first, no ego, win before me attitude of a head coach. To bring in others who have led, to stand alongside you without worry of who will get the credit. It displays confidence, not only in yourself but in your abilities to lead. Lead and work with not only the other men (coaches) in the room but to surround yourself with other obviously capable coaches to lead the youth. My hats off to a guy who can do that. For Brungard to leave Poland for the sake of coaching your own kid and spending more time with him, why would you not want a guy like that on the staff. I would be remiss if I did not mention the others as well, not just Mr. Brungard. I personally know a few of them and let me tell you what. Knowing them, as a father, in this world today, you could count your blessings if you are lucky enough to have your kid being coached and taught by these guys. So I for one take exception to your flippant comment that one individual, as good as he may be, is the reason for the success of the many.
These coaches start out in the heat of summer, sacrificing their time with family for the youth in the program. Working towards a common goal. To still be standing in early December is always the result of the STAFF and never of one individual. So hats off to ALL the coaches at Springfield led by Mr. Guerriero, bring it home!

Last edited:
Been watching Anna through the playoffs. I don’t think Theirs a team that holds their offense...and their defense is also legit so it’ll be a tall task but If NMS can have long drives and finish on them then this could be a low scoring, great game. Won’t be able to make it so I’ll be watching it on TV. Good luck to both teams.

Not that it matters much but nerves wise this Springfield team has some of their main kids with a regional runner up in basketball and baseball last year.

Ursuline returned the favor. Three years in a row.

Ursuline returned the favor. Three years in a row.
It was only two years? They beat Liberty Benton too one of those years who isn't MAC. Not sure why bring up Ursuline who doesn't fit into any of these schools that have been discussed.

I think the thing with Anna that people miss is they are deep, Bixler and Heulskamp get all the attention but they have a ton of talent across the board. Both lines are athletic and have some size, their receivers block really well and there DB’s are awfully good. Not to mention they are all seniors.

Not this year.

Voice, I'm just hoping Anna can keep it respectable. Do they have a chance?

Not that it matters much but nerves wise this Springfield team has some of their main kids with a regional runner up in basketball and baseball last year.
I was wondering that about baseball....who did they lose to?

I think the thing with Anna that people miss is they are deep, Bixler and Heulskamp get all the attention but they have a ton of talent across the board. Both lines are athletic and have some size, their receivers block really well and there DB’s are awfully good. Not to mention they are all seniors.
so what injury did Bixler go down with last week.....I think the only way Anna goes down if one of the twins go down...… but not wishing that at all …. hope both teams are at FULL strength

It was only two years? They beat Liberty Benton too one of those years who isn't MAC. Not sure why bring up Ursuline who doesn't fit into any of these schools that have been discussed.
Point was made Eastern Ohio schools get to the finals or semis and get smacked. Ursuline was in the Title game four years in a row. Won the last three. Lost to ML the first year. You brought it up. Not me. No disrespect. I’m just stating the facts. ?

Last edited:
What an irrational comment to make. You obviously have not coached football or any sport with that type of comment. I do not know you and apologize for my direct tone with you, however, your comment severely diminishes the accomplishment of the Springfield coaching STAFF as whole, of which Mr. Brungard is a part of. It does indeed start and stop with the head coach, so let's start with the head coach, Mr. Guerriero.
Sure the whole staff is great. Hats off to everyone who has put in the hours they're doing great! And maybe my comment came off a little strong my apologies. But to think there isn't a direct correlation between brungard joining the staff and Springfield football taking off is crazy

Point was made Eastern Ohio schools get to the finals or semis and get smacked. Ursuline was in the Title game four years in a row. Won the last three. Lost to ML the first year. You brought it up. Not me. No disrespect. I’m just stating the facts. ?
This is why these boards are made. Good friendly banter.