Division VI Region 21

Just quickly looking I think the final 8 will end up
Springfield vs. Aquinas
Wickliffe vs. Brookfield
Norwayne vs. CCC
Mogadore vs Hillsdale

I think the 9 Aquinas vs. 8 Trinity matchup in the 2nd round will be a closely fought game. They were in the same league for a number of years recently and even though STA got the better of Trinity most of the time, it sounds like they have a good team up there in Garfield Heights this year. I know Cuyahoga Heights is down big time this year, but that's a great program with great coaching and Trinity shellacked them 35-3. Not a given that Aquinas gets to the final 8....especially if the Knights play as badly as they did the first couple weeks this season.

The top 4 seeds in this region look extremely strong this year...

Some interesting matchups in this region Saturday:
Canton CC at Tuskey Valley is one lots of people are watching and predicting an upset

Columbiana at Western Reserve may be a pretty evenly matched game. WR has the injury bug in a bad way.

Matchups I know little about include:
Wellington at Mineral Ridge
Cardinal at LaBrae
Oberlin at Brookfield
East Canton at Smithville
Campbell at Hillsdale
Black River at Columbia Station
Newton Fall at St. Thomas Aquinas
Rittman at Trinity

Who are everyone's picks to win those contests?

Did STA get more players recruited in for week 6? How did they beat CCC?
STA had the best player on the field in #13, and CCC made him look like Barry Sanders. His 3 offensive TDs were him turning nothing into something, and he also had a long INT return for TD which was arguably the easiest of his 4 TDs. STA had a 20-0 lead by the end of the 1st quarter and could pin their ears back on defense for the rest of the game. They were able to get fairly consistent pressure on CCC's QB and held CCC's offense in check for the most part since CCC hasn't been able to run the ball consistently for a few years.

Having said that, you bring up an interesting question. If STA had any players who are subject to the transfer rules, they were OK to play last week because it was only the team's 5th regular season game due to the cancellation of the week 3 game against Mogadore. I don't know if STA has any players who are subject to the transfer rules, but if they do, those players shouldn't be able to play in the playoffs. Incidentally, CCC had 1 player who was subject to the transfer rules. He played the 1st 5 games but had to sit beginning with last week's game. The outcome of the game would've been the same regardless.

Some interesting matchups in this region Saturday:
Canton CC at Tuskey Valley is one lots of people are watching and predicting an upset

Columbiana at Western Reserve may be a pretty evenly matched game. WR has the injury bug in a bad way.

Matchups I know little about include:
Wellington at Mineral Ridge
Cardinal at LaBrae
Oberlin at Brookfield
East Canton at Smithville
Campbell at Hillsdale
Black River at Columbia Station
Newton Fall at St. Thomas Aquinas
Rittman at Trinity

Who are everyone's picks to win those contests?
Results from week 1 of the Playoffs:
Wellington 8 Mineral Ridge 40
Cardinal 14 Labrae 48
Oberlin 22 Brookfield 57
East Canton 6 Smithville 12
Campbell 0 Hillsdale 51
Black River 7 Columbia Station 47
Newton Falls 0 ST. Thomas 48
Columbiana 14 Western Reserve 37
Rittman 7 Trinity 25
Tuskey Valley 7 Canton Central Catholic 49
No real upsets here

This Saturdays matchups:
Canton Central Catholic @ United
Mineral Ridge @ Norwayne
LaBrae @ Brookfield
Smithville @ Wickliffe
Hillsdale @ Pymatuming Valley
Columbia Station @ Mogadore
St. Thomas @ Trinity
Western Reserve @ Springfield

Definitely some interesting matchups this week. I could see several of these matchups being good games. There is a real possibly of some upsets this week.

Canton Central Catholic @ United- This will be an 'upset' by seeding but CCC beating United is not an upset, Crusaders should roll.

Mineral Ridge @ Norwayne- Ridge is decent but this will end up a running clock likely.

LaBrae @ Brookfield- Rivalry, Brookfield already won 35-7 in week 2. Gibson is the best player on the field. Brookfield but closer than their earlier game.

Smithville @ Wickliffe- Wickliffe big.

Hillsdale @ Pymatuming Valley- Another 'upset' in seeding as PV got seeded way too high due to record, Hillsdale will roll easily.

Columbia Station @ Mogadore- Mogadore big.

St. Thomas @ Trinity- Aquinas by 2-3 tds.

Western Reserve @ Springfield- Another rematch from a lopsided week 2 game (Springfield won 31-0). Would expect roughly the same.

Canton Central Catholic @ United- This will be an 'upset' by seeding but CCC beating United is not an upset, Crusaders should roll.

Mineral Ridge @ Norwayne- Ridge is decent but this will end up a running clock likely.

LaBrae @ Brookfield- Rivalry, Brookfield already won 35-7 in week 2. Gibson is the best player on the field. Brookfield but closer than their earlier game.

Smithville @ Wickliffe- Wickliffe big.

Hillsdale @ Pymatuming Valley- Another 'upset' in seeding as PV got seeded way too high due to record, Hillsdale will roll easily.

Columbia Station @ Mogadore- Mogadore big.

St. Thomas @ Trinity- Aquinas by 2-3 tds.

Western Reserve @ Springfield- Another rematch from a lopsided week 2 game (Springfield won 31-0). Would expect roughly the same.
Agreed. Upsets in name only but they aren't really upsets when the better team wins. Py Valley has no business being seeded that high. CCC is starting to find its bearings.

Labrae and Brookfield could be interesting. I could see a much closer game this time around.

Springfield will roll WR again.

Aquinas is at full strength now and looks to maybe have figured a few things out. They moved Burt to RB since they can't throw it. They have some really good athletes who can hit. Keep an eye on them.

I really dont think this region is cut and dried with the old stand bys. Wickliffe and Norwayne are going to have a say in the final outcome I believe, possibly even some like Aquinas if they hit their stride.

I don't see Smithville/Wickliffe being much of a game. To many injuries for the Smithies and a completely inept offense means running clock in the 2nd half. Unless the coaches decide to run the wing-t and go ball control, that's the only way Smithville could keep it close!

I think you need to be somewhat balanced offensively to beat Springfield. St Thomas doesn’t have a passing game to speak of, so a win over Springfield would be highly unlikely. (Taking into account no injury to B. Brungard).

Cal Preps predictions on this weeks games:
United 28 - CCC 27
Springfield 42 - WR 6
Brookfield 31 - LaBrae 28
Norwayne 35 - MR 14
Wickliffe 49 - Smithville 0
Hillsdale 34 - Py Valley 26
Mogadore 35 - Columbia Station 13
I could not find STA on Calpreps (probably user error) so no prediction on this one

United 28 - CCC 27
Springfield 42 - WR 6
Norwayne 35 - MR 14
I could not find STA on Calpreps (probably user error) so no prediction on this one
I think CCC beats United 35-21, Norwayne has a running clock 49-7, don't see anything else I can argue with. Will be interesting to see Wickliffe further in with a dogfight on there hands, I understand they are talented but only 30 on the squad.

Will be interesting to see Wickliffe further in with a dogfight on there hands, I understand they are talented but only 30 on the squad.
They might not have the #s, but that Fortkamp kid is a MONSTER. Watching the video below makes ya think of one of the the guys who plays RB because he's so talented, but was bred in a lab to play LB. Would have loved to see him go vs Keener at full strength, but not sure that's going to happen.

United 28 - CCC 27
Springfield 42 - WR 6
Norwayne 35 - MR 14
STA is listed as "Aquinas" (Louisville). Calpreps projects a 26-14 St. Thomas Aquinas win on a neutral field. Homefield is traditionally worth 3 pts, so adjust accordingly.

Don’t ever pay attention to cal preps
No one really expects them to predict the score. To me its just kind of fun to look at Drew Pasteur and Cal Preps projections. It is a conversation starter and interesting to see how close they come. Drew Pasteur has amazed me in the past with some of his predictions and how accurate they have been.

We've entered the regional quarterfinals for next week. The matchups are:
#1 Springfield vs. #9 St. Thomas Aquinas
#4 Mogadore vs. #5 Pymatuning Valley
#2 Wickliffe vs. #10 LaBrae
#3 Norwayne vs. #11 Canton Central Catholic

Yeah a few surprises tonight but the Py Valley winning was the top one for me. Labrae beating Brookfield after losing 35-7 earlier this year is another. And United being competitive with CCC

Not surprised by Py valley too much being that hillsdale hadn’t beat anyone with a winning record. LaBrae besting Brookfield was a surprise because they had already gone head to head. Sounded like a fun game. The CCC vs Norwayne game sounds like the best 3rd round game in my opinion.

Not surprised by Py valley too much being that hillsdale hadn’t beat anyone with a winning record. LaBrae besting Brookfield was a surprise because they had already gone head to head. Sounded like a fun game. The CCC vs Norwayne game sounds like the best 3rd round game in my opinion.
Even though Py Valley beat teams with winning records they are really bad teams with winning records. I didn't think they woud be able to win a game in the post season.

Labrae is playing really good football right now.

No disrespect to the teams that have been eliminated but the playoffs really start this coming Saturday.
STA vs Springfield - this is the first out of league opponent for the Tigers. Their league is not very strong this year, we will find out a lot about them this week.
Pymatuming Valley vs Mogadore - good for Py Valley making it this far bit I have a feeling the party is over.
LaBrae vs Wickliffe - this might be the most interesting game of the 4. LaBrae’s defense will have to play better but they have athletes and are on a roll. That being said they face a tall task playing Wickliffe.
CCC vs. Norwayne - this also could be a good game. That being said it seemed like CCC underperformed vs United offensively but their D was solid.

Now is when the fun begins. Looking forward to the next 3 weeks in region 21.

Hillsdale might not have beat anyone with a winning record but the WCAL plays solid football and is infinitely better than the NAC.

Hillsdale might not have beat anyone with a winning record but the WCAL plays solid football and is infinitely better than the NAC.
normally this is 100% true but WCAL is kinda bad this year. Hillsdale was 4th best team so in normal year they wouldn’t have made it to week 11 anyhow & PV probably would have.

No disrespect to the teams that have been eliminated but the playoffs really start this coming Saturday.
STA vs Springfield - this is the first out of league opponent for the Tigers. Their league is not very strong this year, we will find out a lot about them this week.
Pymatuming Valley vs Mogadore - good for Py Valley making it this far bit I have a feeling the party is over.
LaBrae vs Wickliffe - this might be the most interesting game of the 4. LaBrae’s defense will have to play better but they have athletes and are on a roll. That being said they face a tall task playing Wickliffe.
CCC vs. Norwayne - this also could be a good game. That being said it seemed like CCC underperformed vs United offensively but their D was solid.

Now is when the fun begins. Looking forward to the next 3 weeks in region 21.

I was at the game. CCC defense was the highlight of the game. United didn't do much at all. Their 2 TDS were off essentially turnovers. United did really almost nothing most the game. The CCC offense was the issue.