Division VI Region 21

GridironGod

What are everyone's thoughts on this region. A few years ago it was one of the toughest in the state to qualify for the playoffs. Several teams either changed divisions or where moved by the OHSAA but it still has some quality teams in it.

I would guess that it is between Springfield and Mogadore. These two met in the regional championship last year and both return quite a few players. However, I hear that Norwayne has a solid offensive group and was also very your last year. It will be interesting to see how the coaches seed this region in a few week.

If they meet again Mogadore fans just hope the location is a little more even distance. Really last year approximately 1 hour drive for Mogadore, about maybe 5-10 minutes for Springfield. Both team's fans represented their schools and communities by turning out in great numbers...a good game too!

If they meet again Mogadore fans just hope the location is a little more even distance. Really last year approximately 1 hour drive for Mogadore, about maybe 5-10 minutes for Springfield. Both team's fans represented their schools and communities by turning out in great numbers...a good game too!
Don’t think that will matter too much with the attendance regulations this year, unfortunately... I agree though. It was odd to have them at South Range.

Don’t think that will matter too much with the attendance regulations this year, unfortunately... I agree though. It was odd to have them at South Range.
It was the closest thing to a home game that Springfield could have gotten. Wonder how much that affected the game, with them knowing they had a bit of an advantage. It was a good game though for sure.

All reports are that Moggy is very talented this year. Friday's game will tell me a lot. It will definitely come down to the wildcats and tigers.

I predict a SL vs Moggy regional final. But dont sleep on Norwayne. They will be tough to beat this year.

I can see this game being played at Fitch or Mollenkompf this year if it happens.

Mogadore
Norwayne
Springfield
Canton CC
Wickliffe

Brookfield
Smithville
Aquinas

Columbia
LaBrae
Western Reserve
United
Black River
Columbiana

IMO Mogadore, Springfield and Norwayne are the top teams. Wickliffe has looked good so far. Tough game with Independence this week. Mogadore has a very tough Garfield. Springfield has Jackson-Milton in week 6 but they should not pose a problem. CCC, because of their schedule against bigger schools should not be discounted. I would love to see a Mogadore/CCC game at Mogadore. Norwayne should enter the playoffs undefeated (though Dalton is fairly good).

For Canton CC and Norwayne fans. What type of offense do those programs run, spread, I, wing T. And are they run first or do they air it out. I have seen Springfield and Mogadore play several times in the past. Moggy likes to ground and pound but can throw the ball effectively especially play action passes. Springfield is multiple, their quarterback can throw and run and they have some solid backs.

For Canton CC and Norwayne fans. What type of offense do those programs run, spread, I, wing T. And are they run first or do they air it out. I have seen Springfield and Mogadore play several times in the past. Moggy likes to ground and pound but can throw the ball effectively especially play action passes. Springfield is multiple, their quarterback can throw and run and they have some solid backs.
Norwayne is very balanced, will pack it in and run, and will go 4 and 5 wide and throw. Good senior class, 3-4 good running backs, 5 talented receivers, big line with a D-1 recruit on it. Last regular season game vs. D7 Dalton will tell everyone how good they are. I would put them in the top 3 in the region. We scrimmaged Canton CC and from what I understand beat them up. Have heard a lot about the Springfield QB but not seen him, we played Mogadore the last 2 seasons, it's just a war playing that team year in and year out.

Not sure how strong Central Catholic is this year. They're certainly nowhere near what they've been for much of the past 7-8 years or more. But they are very well coached and they play an incredibly tough schedule...so they could be a threat.

St. Thomas Aquinas has to be one of the more disappointing teams in this region so far this year. They brought back so much skill talent...other than QB...and that's been a large part of the problem. They have played 3 different guys at QB, and none of them have seized the job. They haven't been able to throw the ball consistently all year and haven't been able to get it into their playmakers' hands.

A second surprising development has been the poor performance of their offensive line, which returned 4 starters (including a transfer from Rootstown) and had other guys who certainly look the part. The line has not gotten much of a push or opened holes in the running game so far this year, and the QB's have been under duress from the pass rush almost immediately upon dropping back. Not sure why this line hasn't played a lot better, but part of it could be some new faces and a lack of preseason, practices together, and scrimmages. Plus some injuries and quarantine situations so far this year have had the line playing musical chairs with guys' positions.

If STA could somehow have one QB win the job and get all the reps there, and if the line gels into a cohesive unit, they could be frisky come playoff time with their athletes and skill position players. But as of now, they aren't one of the top 8-10 teams in this Region.

Dalton is in DVII this year
CCC is 1-3, you can say all you want about them scheduling up, they lost to Perry and New Philadelphia. But they also lost to a 2-2 Jackson team and barely got by Licking Heights. I'm just not convinced they are in the top 6 of the region this year.

CCC is 1-3, you can say all you want about them scheduling up, they lost to Perry and New Philadelphia. But they also lost to a 2-2 Jackson team and barely got by Licking Heights. I'm just not convinced they are in the top 6 of the region this year.
Hard to compare CCC to anyone else in the Region. They played a REALLY physical Perry and lost 28-0. 75% of the region would have started the 2nd half with a running clock.
CCC is not one of the top 6 teams in the region, but (if there are 1st round byes) they'll likely be the team that wins in week 1 and then upsets or puts a scare into one of the higher seeds.

The only real surprise from week 5 was Mogadore getting beat by the GMen. However, from what everyone is saying Garrettsville has a solid squad. I doubt this will shake things up much coming into this all important voting week where the region will be seeded. Any predictions on what the seeding for this region might look like?

Top 6, all get byes in the first round. Wickliffe, New Middletown Springfield, Norwayne, Pymatuning Valley, Mogadore, United. Elephant in the room is Canton Central Catholic at 1-4.

Favorites - Springfield Local & Mogadore
Darkhorse - Norwayne

Not sure what to think of Wickliffe or United. PY Valley will not advance - Their schedule is too weak. Canton Central Catholic plays a hell of a schedule. Should be a good region to watch out for.

Top 6, all get byes in the first round. Wickliffe, New Middletown Springfield, Norwayne, Pymatuning Valley, Mogadore, United. Elephant in the room is Canton Central Catholic at 1-4.
The team that could be the most overrated of the group is United. Wins against not very good DVII schools in a very weak league. They would not be in may top 6 and maybe fall to 10.

NM Springfield has to be the favorite as the reigning champ and having the best player in the region. Mogadore has two good RB's, good TE and WR but it comes down to QB play and that's the big question mark that I have seen so far.