Division V State Semifinal: West Jefferson (12-1) vs. Ironton (12-1)

Who wins?

• West Jefferson by 15+

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • West Jefferson by 8-14

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • West Jefferson by 1-7

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Ironton by 1-7

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Ironton by 8-14

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks to be a good matchup. I have read on other boards and West Jefferson does not seem to be getting much love. The league West Jefferson played in had 3 teams playing for Regional Championship and 2 moved to the State Semi-Finals- that says a lot at this point. Ironton had themselves Gallipolis and Portsmouth make the playoffs and only Ironton got by the 1st round. West Jefferson in my opinion would have beaten Gallipolis and Portsmouth. Good Luck to both teams.

Glad to see Ironton back in the mix as a State Title contender. Lots of tough teams throughout the years under the great Bob Lutz, we met a handful of times in the State semifinals throughout the years. Ironton always tough steel mill type of town. Good luck Tigers

Looks to be a good matchup. I have read on other boards and West Jefferson does not seem to be getting much love. The league West Jefferson played in had 3 teams playing for Regional Championship and 2 moved to the State Semi-Finals- that says a lot at this point. Ironton had themselves Gallipolis and Portsmouth make the playoffs and only Ironton got by the 1st round. West Jefferson in my opinion would have beaten Gallipolis and Portsmouth. Good Luck to both teams.
Everyone is good at this point. I’m sure WJ will be the best team Ironton has played and Ironton will be the best team WJ has played

I hope my Hornets get to face one of these stellar squads, but we’ll have our hands full with Oak Harbor. Something I’m surprised about that hasn’t been said on here yet is what else is at stake for this game besides a trip to Canton...

Ironton hasn’t allowed more than 20 points for 14 straight games and West Jefferson hasn’t scored less than 30 points for 17 straight games.

Point is...at least one of these long streaks is falling next Saturday. Hope everyone comes out healthy after this weekend & good luck to both squads!

West Jeff is looking seriously legit at this point. Sharper week after week. I’ve seen several state championship teams in the playoffs over the years and the Roughriders look the part. Ironton no doubt will be tough. I think the WJ boys gotta a great shot to do it!

The Riders are clicking right now. These coaches know what they are doing. They’ve been making these playoff runs for years now.

I don’t believe we’ve ever played Ironton but I’ve heard they have a big fan base and storied program! Out of curiosity how many state titles does Ironton have? When was there last title?

The Riders are clicking right now. These coaches know what they are doing. They’ve been making these playoff runs for years now.

I don’t believe we’ve ever played Ironton but I’ve heard they have a big fan base and storied program! Out of curiosity how many state titles does Ironton have? When was there last title?
Ironton has made the state title game 8 times the last one being in 1999. They’ve won 2 state titles and of their 6 title game losses 4 have come by a TD or less. Great tradition rich program!

Great matchup between Ironton and West Jefferson. Calpreps.com has it Ironton 31-28 and Drew Pasteur's site has it Ironton by 3 and a 57% favorite. Heading into wk 14 I think most anyone would take those odds.

Ironton's football history is as rich as any school in Ohio. Over 600 all time victories, 35 playoff appearances with 48-32 record in those games, 11 State Semifinal Four appearances, 6 State Runner-ups and 2 State Titles (89 & 79). They also have or use to have the all time winningest coach in Ohio, Bob Lutz and their games vs Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education (C.A.P.E) in the late 80's were some of Ohio's best. Ironton is led by junior LB/RB Reid Carrico, 6'3' & 225 lbs who is a 2021 OSU commit. What an opportunity for WJ to 1) play vs such a storied program and 2) play vs a guy who will be playing on Saturday's at the Shoe and perhaps on Sunday's in the NFL. 3) Most importantly, a chance to play for a spot in the State Title Game! In the past, WJ has faced a few players who have gone to OSU or the NFL:
* In the 90's I believe London had a DT named Tyree play for OSU
* In the late 80's/early 90's Madison Plains had a LB/RB Brian Stoughton play for OSU
* 1988 Cincinnati North Ben Tayor DT Dana Stubblefield (WJ 24-14). Played at Kansas, was a 1st rd draft pick and NFL Defensive player of the year for the 49'ers in 1997.
* 1982-84 Dublin Coffman rb Vince Workman (WJ was 2-1 in those games). OSU rb and played 6+ years in the NFL
* 1968-70 Teays Valley rb Champ Henson (WJ was 3-0 in those games). Led NCAA in touchdowns scored as a sophomore
* Late 50's London rb Dick LaBeau (WJ probably did not win any of these games). NFL HOF player & coach

I'm sure I missed a few players. I'm also very sure that Ironton has several very good football players besides Carrico. Good luck to WJ!

Side note, I remember being at the 1999 DIV State Championship with Ironton leading 14-10 over Sandusky Perkins. Ironton had the ball with :46 left in the game, 4th and inches at their own 29 yard line. Instead of punting, they went for it, got stuffed. Sandusky Perkins went on to score and win the state championship 16-14. My dad and I had walked to the parking lot at the 1 minute mark to miss traffic, missed the dramatic ending. I believe that was Ironton's last appearance in the state title game.

Hoping for a great game. If Ironton plays like they did against Ridgewood I think they can make it to the title game. Good luck to WJ
Go Tigers!

Arnton could be playing the New England Patriots and some people on the other boards would still have the Tigers winning.

FB_IMG_1571365763913.jpg

Ironton has made the state title game 8 times the last one being in 1999. They’ve won 2 state titles and of their 6 title game losses 4 have come by a TD or less. Great tradition rich program!
After this post I was waiting for a WJ fan to post their titles and then the following crapstorm of folks busting on them for the makeup titles that were discussed on another thread earlier this fall.

Always someone trying to start something, so we will all stay quiet and not post nothing until Saturday night, we did it last week, do it again, everyone have a good Turkey day.
Not trying to start anything. I just remember how gloriously entertaining that thread was for a week or 2 and seeing the post about Ironton's record (all of which match up to the OHSAA's notes packet) I just figured it was going to come back up.

West Jefferson not staying off of Yappi and letting their talk happen on the field again? They must be a little more confident this week.
West Jefferson has always had one of the most reliably active posting contingencies for the past decade, dating back to the Huddle days. I personally see nothing wrong with a proud, confident base be enthusiastic and dedicated to the online postings-of-support they’ve had to offer in the duration of that timeframe. Haven’t followed too much of the, at times zany, OHC threads of recent, but they’ve never been much a fanbase to tear down or disrespect their opponents.

WJ has been an underdog in the last 2 games by every site.
Nothing wrong with that again!
Looks like a crappy night with rain again on Saturday night so turnovers will be crucial!

If it rains, it will only help the Tigers. They are the more physical team in this game. Take away west Jefferson’s passing game and what do u have left? Speaking of quarterbacks The Ironton qb is a Youngstown state commit. . Just wanted to throw that out there.