Division V State Semifinal: Kirtland (13-0) vs. Oak Harbor (13-0)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Kirtland by 8-14

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Oak Harbor by 1-7

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Oak Harbor by 8-14

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Oak Harbor by 15+

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This should be a GREAT game. If Parks wasn't a magician with the ball in his hands, OH beats Orrville by 2-3 scores. They should actually matchup better with Kirtland's offensive scheme. Kirtland D gave some yards to Manchester's Wright but shut everything else down and was never really in doubt. This week they'll face one of the most balanced teams you'll see at this level.

Think OH has that "look" of a title team - great line, multiple offensive options. Only concern would be the coach tried a few "cute" things (double reverse pass after recovering an onsides kick?) that weren't really necessary. They are good enough to just line up and play. Cute to Kirtland is a wheel route to RB. But this will be their biggest challenge since week 15 last year.

Both teams have very talented offenses (Oak Harbor’s balance & Kirtland’s ground and pound) & both teams have had stout defenses all season long.

It’s so hard to tell if this will be a low scoring affair or a shootout considering how good both sides are offensively & defensively coming into Week 14.

The game might come down to the better special teams unit (i.e. field goals & field position) and who turns the ball over the least.

Personally I’m getting a 21-17 final score type of feeling, but it’s early in the week & I could be way off.

Sounds to me like this will be both teams’ toughest opponents yet which is how it should be at this point in the season.

Kirtland folks take 71 south to Pearl Rt 42 exit hang a right then go down a couple miles to Lunn Rd take a right. Strongsville High is on the left. Don’t get off at Rt 82 by the mall. It’s a traffic nightmare.

Kirtland folks take 71 south to Pearl Rt 42 exit hang a right then go down a couple miles to Lunn Rd take a right. Strongsville High is on the left. Don’t get off at Rt 82 by the mall. It’s a traffic nightmare.
Thanks for the heads up! I remember driving to Strongsville for the Norwayne game last year & took 82...there’s definitely other routes that can bypass the traffic like you said.

FWIW - Oak Harbor has scored at least 33 points in every game this season & Kirtland hasn’t allowed 33 points since losing 34-11 in 2017 to Marion Local in the D-VI title game.
Before that, they let up 46 points to Minster in the 2014 D-VI title game.

Kirtland has scored at least 28 points in every game this season & Oak Harbor gave up 28 to the electric Orrville offense last week. They also let up 38 to 1-9 Willard, a game in which I assume their backups got a lot of action.

Nevertheless, it should be a fun game in a few days. Still don’t know what to expect in this one...lots of scoring or lots of defense? Hope it’s not a blowout one way or the other, this game deserves to be a barnburner on Saturday.

FWIW - Oak Harbor has scored at least 33 points in every game this season & Kirtland hasn’t allowed 33 points since losing 34-11 in 2017 to Marion Local in the D-VI title game.
Before that, they let up 46 points to Minster in the 2014 D-VI title game.

Kirtland has scored at least 28 points in every game this season & Oak Harbor gave up 28 to the electric Orrville offense last week. They also let up 38 to 1-9 Willard, a game in which I assume their backups got a lot of action.

Nevertheless, it should be a fun game in a few days. Still don’t know what to expect in this one...lots of scoring or lots of defense? Hope it’s not a blowout one way or the other, this game deserves to be a barnburner on Saturday.

what type of size does Kirtland have upfront? Oak Harbor is huge upfront they will wear on Kirtland upfront.

what type of size does Kirtland have upfront? Oak Harbor is huge upfront they will wear on Kirtland upfront.
I’ll be honest...it depends. Some games they come out with a big d-line, other times they have skill guys up front. It varies week to week so we’ll see.

In terms of o-line, this line is much smaller than last year’s. They have decent size but don’t weigh as much as Oak Harbor’s line.

I sure hope Kirtland doesn’t get worn down by the second half. Haven’t seen them get outphysicaled since the 2017 game against Marion Local and maybe even last year against Mogadore.

I’ve never seen Oak Harbor play before, so we will certainly see on Saturday. I’m expecting to see some big boys for the Rockets. Sounds like OH has a lot of talent, strength, size, and speed on both sides of the ball. Besides Schulte & Alexander, who else contributes for the Rockets?

Last edited:
I’ll be honest...it depends. Some games they come out with a big d-line, other times they have skill guys up front. It varies week to week so we’ll see.

In terms of o-line, this line is much smaller than last year’s. They have decent size but don’t weigh as much as Oak Harbor’s line.

I sure hope Kirtland doesn’t get worn down by the second half. Haven’t seen them get outphysicaled since the 2017 game against Marion Local and maybe even last year against Mogadore.

I’ve never seen Oak Harbor play before, so we will certainly see on Saturday. I’m expecting to see some big boys for the Rockets. Sounds like OH has a lot of talent, strength, size, and speed on both sides of the ball. Besides Schulte & Alexander, who else contributes for the Rockets?
I don't think OH will "wear" on Kirtland, but I do think they will be able to force Kirtland's secondary to make tackles. They can account for all box defenders and make guys come up stop the run. Then take a shot over the top.

One thing that will be interesting, their scheme has a lot of Run/Pass combo blocking. In Regional Final several times where left side ran blocked & right side pass blocked. Was never called, but you don't often see a LB being blocked 5 yards downfield while the QB throws from the pocket. Against a good team that reads keys, it seems to cause enough chaos to give their athletes room to make plays.

I don't think OH will "wear" on Kirtland, but I do think they will be able to force Kirtland's secondary to make tackles. They can account for all box defenders and make guys come up stop the run. Then take a shot over the top.

One thing that will be interesting, their scheme has a lot of Run/Pass combo blocking. In Regional Final several times where left side ran blocked & right side pass blocked. Was never called, but you don't often see a LB being blocked 5 yards downfield while the QB throws from the pocket. Against a good team that reads keys, it seems to cause enough chaos to give their athletes room to make plays.
Are you saying that illegal man downfield could be called? Will have to look out for that from the stands on Saturday.

Sounds like their line is stellar & their QB & RB are some bona fide athletes. I said earlier in the week Kirtland was going to have their hands full considering the Rockets’ size and balance on offense.

But if there’s a team up for the challenge, it’s Kirtland. I’m sure Oak Harbor is chomping at the bit to take down two defending state champions too. Two undefeated & hungry teams with talent on both sides of the ball...nothing better than that!

Good stuff brother. It’s cool to see some OH film. I think Kirtland will match up fine. They played Riverside and Geneva who have much bigger players in the trenches and are far bigger schools (D2 and D3). Kirtland4580 I’m digging those new gray jerseys.
Agree. It’s great to see some film from both sides. The OH linemen look like maulers. Kirtland’s played teams with big linemen, but not linemen that are THAT big. Will certainly be interesting to see how the Kirtland D counteracts the size disadvantage.

In terms of the gray jerseys, I certainly have no problem with them and I enjoy seeing something new. But there’s something about seeing those tattered blue jerseys in November/December that gives Kirtland a signature look in the postseason, you know?

I’m guessing they go with the gray jerseys again, but I’d love to see the tattered blue jerseys make a reappearance!

I'd have to think Kirtland will win by more than that
I’d love for it to happen, but I don’t see it. Last year’s team...probably. This year’s team...don’t see it.
In fact, the county newspaper said that Oak Harbor is a power spread version of last year’s Kirtland team.

Agree. It’s great to see some film from both sides. The OH linemen look like maulers. Kirtland’s played teams with big linemen, but not linemen that are THAT big. Will certainly be interesting to see how the Kirtland D counteracts the size disadvantage.

In terms of the gray jerseys, I certainly have no problem with them and I enjoy seeing something new. But there’s something about seeing those tattered blue jerseys in November/December that gives Kirtland a signature look in the postseason, you know?

I’m guessing they go with the gray jerseys again, but I’d love to see the tattered blue jerseys make a reappearance!
Oh I know what you mean. The blue definitely has that Kirtland signature look to it. Speaking of jerseys I have my dads old Kirtland jersey from the 70s. White with plain blue numbers and says Hornets on the front. Back then Kirtland always wore white at home. Also the current visitors side at Rogers Field used to be the home side. Anyways hopefully the Hornets pull this one off.