Division V State Final: AP #2 Ironton (11-0) vs. AP #1 Kirtland (10-0)

Ironton or Kirtland?

• Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ironton by 7-14

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Ironton by 1-6

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Kirtland by 1-6

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Kirtland by 7-14

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 28 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
38-0 - Amazing, unless you know Kirtland and how they prepare. They were smaller and did not have 5 D1 level kids - but they pushed the Tigers all over the field.

These kids come from a small town where the elementary, middle and high school is all connected. NOBODY in Ohio lifts more then these kids. I'm not even sure anybody lifts equally. I think I heard they do like 350+ days a year doing some kind of weight or speed training. No open enrollment and NO RECRUITING. If you watch the youth kids on the weekends and then the freshman and JV teams - it's the same kids you see on varsity.

The freshman and JV teams schedule the likes of Massillon, Ed's, Iggy, etc - unheard of. The center today was giving up 100lbs and dominated - the line gave up an average 75lbs a kid and the little Hornets wore those kids out.

There are plenty more kids coming up as well. Some really talented classes. Hats off to the Hornets for not only representing NE Ohio but for doing it the right way - with class. I bet you there will be 50+ kids lifting tomorrow AM, just like last year.

I agree with everything you said but your center got owned by irontons nose guard. He’s a stud.

I agree with everything you said but your center got owned by irontons nose guard. He’s a stud.
Only thing I seen getting owned was Ironton. I said they had very slim chance and picked 15+. It was no surprise. They could play that 10 times and K-land wins all 10

I will say, I appreciate how modest and humble the Kirtland faithful are. We all know there are fanbases on Yappi that are overbearing or there are just teams you hate to root for. Kirtland is a dynasty program. Their past decade of success in incredible. Now 3 state titles in a row. Even as we discussed and prepped for this game, most Kirtland-affiliated posters seemed nervous or withheld their opinion otherwise. They showed a lot of respect to Ironton which is great sportsmanship. I think this was overall a very respectful and healthy discussion (I mean, look at Hoban-Massillon...).

I was clear that I thought it'd be a 2-score win and a decisive victory. I was right on... one account. All those folks predicting a Kirtland blowout were right. They're a formidable opponent that is truly unmatched in their current stretch. This game showed that even when you have "two power teams," Kirtland will still dominate. It seems like you need a more balanced or explosive offense type to be able to hang with Kirtland. Ironton just didn't have that today on offense. And really didn't even have a defense that could hang with them either. It was great seeing Ironton in the state title game in back to back years. Wish them well. Congrats to Kirtland.

I will say, I appreciate how modest and humble the Kirtland faithful are. We all know there are fanbases on Yappi that are overbearing or there are just teams you hate to root for. Kirtland is a dynasty program. Their past decade of success in incredible. Now 3 state titles in a row. Even as we discussed and prepped for this game, most Kirtland-affiliated posters seemed nervous or withheld their opinion otherwise. They showed a lot of respect to Ironton which is great sportsmanship. I think this was overall a very respectful and healthy discussion (I mean, look at Hoban-Massillon...).

I was clear that I thought it'd be a 2-score win and a decisive victory. I was right on... one account. All those folks predicting a Kirtland blowout were right. They're a formidable opponent that is truly unmatched in their current stretch. This game showed that even when you have "two power teams," Kirtland will still dominate. It seems like you need a more balanced or explosive offense type to be able to hang with Kirtland. Ironton just didn't have that today on offense. And really didn't even have a defense that could hang with them either. It was great seeing Ironton in the state title game in back to back years. Wish them well. Congrats to Kirtland.
They knew what was going to happen. They are just very humble

To beat Kirtland you need a great qb and passing game like minster in 2014. You simply aren’t going to beat the hornets at their own game.

In short...wow.

In long, I never expected this game to be the result that it was. Not one chance.

I came in thinking that both supporting casts were even-steven. But Kirtland ran away with it today.

I think Carrico is one heck of an athlete. Even if the stats didn’t show it today, he will make things happen at the next level. Ironton’s supporting cast just didn’t make enough plays to keep the game competitive.

Some comparisons to last year’s game; Kirtland went into halftime up 10-0 last year AND this year.

Last year, Kirtland & Ironton tied in the second half 7-7. This year, Kirtland won the second half 28-0.

I was surprised at how well Kirtland performed at the line of scrimmage today as well. Ironton had a very clear size advantage (from the stands at least).

I think Ironton played its worst game of the year at the worst possible time. That doesn’t mean Ironton is a bad team whatsoever, as they have plenty of talent on their squad. They just couldn’t put it together today, nothing else I can say. With that being said, Kirtland played its best game of the season & perhaps in team history today.

I would only rival this performance by the Hornets with three other games; the second half of the 2012 regional final against Ursuline, and the second half of the 2015 state final against Marion Local. Even in those two games, Kirtland had two horrible first halfs. This was a wire-to-wire performance of the likes I’ve never seen before.

Hats off to Ironton on a fine season once again! Coach Pendleton is taking this Ironton program to soaring heights, and they WILL be back here once again. I think if the Tigers don’t run into Kirtland, they are back to back state champions.

I will also say that I greatly admire the Ironton community’s support for their team. They showed out well today, once again outnumbering Kirtland’s fan base. I will say that Ironton has 10K people compared to Kirtland’s 6K, but that’s besides the point. Anyways, congrats to the Hornets on making more history, and congrats to Ironton on another run to the state finals.

I certainly wonder what next year looks like for both teams as they lose their best players (#1 for Kirtland & #28 for Ironton). Time will tell...but for now, I will enjoy the victory and look forward to the rest of the weekend of HSFB.

To beat Kirtland you need a great qb and passing game like minster in 2014. You simply aren’t going to beat the hornets at their own game.
Hey I’m trying to enjoy the state title win over here! ? I kid of course. You’re exactly right. Minster’s QB & offense that day had a magical performance. Ever since then, I would say Kirtland has learned from their passing defense mistakes that day.

Wayne Trace a few years back had an insane QB that we shut down 44-16. Having a great QB & passing game though is a great thing to have for any team. Our QBs the last three seasons were brothers & went a combined 41-0. Pure class & pure winners.

They knew what was going to happen. They are just very humble
I’ve been going to Kirtland games for 7 years. I wouldn’t say I was nervous but hesitant (even though I did pick Kirtland 15+ in the poll)...I hadn’t seen Ironton this year to be able to compare them to last year. Plus I was at the 2017 championship game when MSML owned them, and I was at both games they lost to Cuyahoga Heights a few years ago, I watched Rootstown and Magadore both take Kirtland the the 4th quarter in the playoffs...I guess what I am saying is the right team can beat Kirtland (there’s just not many of them)

To me Carrico is the Dan Marino of high school. He’s been COMPLETELY shut down by the Hornets twice now. i would have to think that even some average D5 players could muster more offense than him in the big game

Your a buffoon. You must really be steaming with Lake in the state championship tomorrow. Especially since your beloved Vikings made such a great move getting rid of Sowers for Elvis. Thinks not going to well in Viking Village I hear?

Congratulations to Kirtland on the impressive win.
Is what I said wrong ? I was pulling for Lake tomorrow because it would be nice to have 3 state champs all from the same area - now I hope Van Wert wins. It's people like you that make people dislike Lake.

i hope the hornets and community enjoy this victory . also congrats to ironton for another great year . high school football is a delight . these kids will remember this forever .

All I have to say it’s hats off to Kirtland. You guys have an amazing program, culture, and tradition. High quality kids coaches by high quality coaches. Congrats on a 3peat.

Being a center myself, it was great to see the criminally undersized kirtland center take it too irontons big dudes inside

Question. What is the lowest total of total yards ever for a team? I think Ironton finished with 53 total. That was complete domination at its finest

Question. What is the lowest total of total yards ever for a team? I think Ironton finished with 53 total. That was complete domination at its finest
47E31BE6-7E4B-4789-B96C-90D4B6743535.jpeg

To me Carrico is the Dan Marino of high school. He’s been COMPLETELY shut down by the Hornets twice now. i would have to think that even some average D5 players could muster more offense than him in the big game

last I checked Dan Marino had a pretty decent career and made a decent amount of money and has one of those cool jackets.
Carrico should do great things at the next

last I checked Dan Marino had a pretty decent career and made a decent amount of money and has one of those cool jackets.
Carrico should do great things at the next
He is going to the right team. Win in the regular season, collapse in the big game. Will fit right in

Will Tiger be a candidate for the Soulon job now that it's open?

Nothing more to prove at Kirtland.

Discuss.

Will Tiger be a candidate for the Soulon job now that it's open?

Nothing more to prove at Kirtland.

Discuss.
Don’t know Tiger, or anyone who does, but I don’t think it is about proving anything for him...also I would imagine he has had many opportunities to leave for bigger programs...I would think he is staying for the long haul, always talks about how much he and his family love the school and community