Division V State Final: AP #2 Ironton (11-0) vs. AP #1 Kirtland (10-0)

Ironton or Kirtland?

• Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ironton by 7-14

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Ironton by 1-6

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Kirtland by 1-6

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Kirtland by 7-14

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 28 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Probably not. It’s like having a kid in basketball that is 6’10 and looks the part but hasn’t proved he can hang with others in that class.
For sure he has good size already could get bigger, already has impressive weight room numbers and will definitely get stronger with the way Pendletons weight program has looked so far. But he does have a lot too prove still and figure out a definite position i believe he wil play defense in college but i could be wrong completely.

Last edited:
2 marquee games this week...I'm excited for both...

#1 LB in the country against LaVerdes unstoppable ground gobbling machine..

That alone is worth 10 bucks..
If you download the spectrum news app I think you can get a free 30 day trial and all championship games are aired on spectrum. You should be able to watch free and not pay $10 per game, but yes it would definitely be worth the $10 either way

I was there in 99 also and I could not believe they did that but it reminded me of a title game I saw 6 years earlier. Coincidentally that same day in 93 I also saw Ironton lose another title game in a crushing manner when the Tigers roughed the Wauseon placekicker after he missed a FG with no time left in a 10-10 tie. Given another chance after the penalty, with 0:00 on the game clock, he came through and Wauseon won 13-10.

In the game that followed Wauseon-Ironton there was another coaching decision that was every bit as questionable as Ironton's in 99 but the team bailed the coach out and won in OT. Steubenville Catholic Central had a 4th and 1 on their own 19 with 43 seconds to go in the game and a 14-7 lead. For some reason SCC went for it, got stuffed and Liberty Center took over on the SCC 19 with 38 seconds left. They scored the tying TD & PAT with 13 seconds left. Fortunately for SCC they kicked a FG in the OT and then LC fumbled a snap with SCC recovering to win 17-14.

IIRC in that 99 game the Tigers also got stuffed on 3rd down before they decided to go for it on 4th. After that play I thought sure they would punt but they didn't and Perkins stuffed them again.
footnote: the Ironton punting team had some serious problems earlier in the game so a clean snap and kick were far from a given. Also, the got RB they went to on 4th down was no slouch, Jason Harmon who had a great career ironically at Coach Pendleton's Alma Mater, Michigan State.

Or perhaps they aren’t as good as the pen and paper says they are. There’s only one true proven D1 player on that team right now. The other player or players may have potential but that doesn’t mean they are.
He has D1 offers so he’s a D1 athlete. Only Wheelersburg people don’t think he’s D1

Maybe you should watch a few ironton games they are on youtube that’s exactly how ironton is ask kirtland4580 he knows ironton is well conditioned as is Kirtland
If Ironton can hold them to quite a few 3 and outs like last year they will be ok and K-land may not wear them down but if they let K-land get the run established and keep grinding out first downs K-land will wear them out. Just ask any of the other 10 teams. Ironton has gotta get their defense off the field and sustain drives or i guarantee they get gassed

He has D1 offers so he’s a D1 athlete. Only Wheelersburg people don’t think he’s D1

So was the QB at greenup county across the River. Guess who came home? Just because an athlete goes to a camp and has the d1 look and gets the verbal offer doesn’t mean anything. The kid got an offer and barely played is freshman year. Did burrow have an offer his freshman year? He may turn out to be fantastic, hope he does, but the claim isn’t there yet.

Don’t be salty raider because Athens couldn’t pull off a state championship when they had the opportunity like burg did.

footnote: the Ironton punting team had some serious problems earlier in the game so a clean snap and kick were far from a given. Also, the got RB they went to on 4th down was no slouch, Jason Harmon who had a great career ironically at Coach Pendleton's Alma Mater, Michigan State.

They did have a problem earlier in the game and I had an Ironton guy tell me after the game that the punt team didn't want to punt because of that so that's why the decision was made & the coach took the heat. I saw Mr. Harmon and co. in the semis against Mooney in that mudpit in Zanesville. As I remember it they had another big back also. I think his last name was Henry? They were both big physical RBs for sure.

His name was Mike Henry. I believe he signed with Ohio University - but never really went for some reason. It was Henry that got stuffed on that 4th down play...pretty sure of that. And, yes, they did beat Dupont, WV earlier - with Randy Moss on the team.
In addition to having trouble punting earlier in the game in '99, I'm almost positive their punting team upback got hurt during the game and wouldn't have been on the field for that punt.
Not saying they got screwed over or anything. But, there's a lot of folks that claim Henry made that first down and that it was a really bad spot.

Yeah. I think the QB went to Big 12 school

That was Pete Jelovic. I think he went to Kansas St. out of MLC.

His name was Mike Henry. I believe he signed with Ohio University - but never really went for some reason. It was Henry that got stuffed on that 4th down play...pretty sure of that. And, yes, they did beat Dupont, WV earlier - with Randy Moss on the team.
In addition to having trouble punting earlier in the game in '99, I'm almost positive their punting team upback got hurt during the game and wouldn't have been on the field for that punt.
Not saying they got screwed over or anything. But, there's a lot of folks that claim Henry made that first down and that it was a really bad spot.

I thought it was Mr. Henry also but I would not argue it as I'm not positive.

Man I hope this game lives up to the hype. Two very good teams and can’t wait to see the chess match between the staffs.
Can Ironton generate enough of a passing game? Can Kirtland deal with Carrico? I think it will be a low scoring game.

So was the QB at greenup county across the River. Guess who came home? Just because an athlete goes to a camp and has the d1 look and gets the verbal offer doesn’t mean anything. The kid got an offer and barely played is freshman year. Did burrow have an offer his freshman year? He may turn out to be fantastic, hope he does, but the claim isn’t there yet.

Don’t be salty raider because Athens couldn’t pull off a state championship when they had the opportunity like burg did.
Joe Burrow had multiple offers in basketball his sophomore year and then offers in football his junior year.

Athens had 6 starting D1 college athletes. I wouldn’t put Wheelersburg in the same category. I’d much rather have the best athlete in Ohio since Lebron James than some state title. A state title doesn’t raise money for underprivileged kids

Joe Burrow had multiple offers in basketball his sophomore year and then offers in football his junior year.

Athens had 6 starting D1 college athletes. I wouldn’t put Wheelersburg in the same category. I’d much rather have the best athlete in Ohio since Lebron James than some state title. A state title doesn’t raise money for underprivileged kids

So no on the freshman year? That’s what I thought.

Spin it however you want. You’re always taking shots a burg posters. You do the same crap on the other site.

You are saying Joe Burrow is the best athlete since Lebron James in OH? Am I reading that correctly?

Bringing up some of Ironton's painful State Championship losses makes me feel like this will be another extremely close, physical state championship. Ironton has played many of those in the past, as has Kirtland. I expect us to see another Kirtland/Coldwater 2012 State Championship, Ironton/Wauseon 1993 State Championship, Ironton/Perkins 1999 State Championship, or last year's Kirtland/Ironton State Championship.

Up north here Kirtland is known as a mechanical machine-like mechanized mechanical machine. Might have to tune in to see Ironton bring the fight with it's top buckeye recruit into battle. Good luck to both.

Why the change
I’m assuming it’s to ensure the stadium is empty by 10 (hence the curfew). There’s a game after this one, & the OHSAA designates a certain amount of time between each game for sanitation to set up the next game. As a result, they bumped up the start times by 45 minutes to avoid running into curfew.

If Ironton can hold them to quite a few 3 and outs like last year they will be ok and K-land may not wear them down but if they let K-land get the run established and keep grinding out first downs K-land will wear them out. Just ask any of the other 10 teams. Ironton has gotta get their defense off the field and sustain drives or i guarantee they get gassed
Exactly and there in lies the problem. Tigers guys run that offense with such precision..how do hold them to 2.9 yards per carry.

Defensively, I'm sure he knows every play run this year...and all the where's when's and what's...Gaining yards is tough because those kids know that defense..

Against a long time power...seeking revenge..

Nations # 1 inside linebacker...off for TOSU..
Presumptive Mr football..

Got my 10 if I can't steal it ...

Exactly and there in lies the problem. Tigers guys run that offense with such precision..how do hold them to 2.9 yards per carry.

Defensively, I'm sure he knows every play run this year...and all the where's when's and what's...Gaining yards is tough because those kids know that defense..

Against a long time power...seeking revenge..

Nations # 1 inside linebacker...off for TOSU..
Presumptive Mr football..

Got my 10 if I can't steal it ...
Nations #1 inside linebacker gave up a big TD run in the 1st quarter in last year’s championship game...and rushed for less than 40 yards

Nations #1 inside linebacker gave up a big TD run in the 1st quarter in last year’s championship game...and rushed for less than 40 yards
Not going to put all that on Carrico. Think he actually played really well in that game, but LaVerde had a game plan to NOT let him dominate. It was pretty evident that the Ironton O&D lines weren't expecting the battle they were in for. Kirtland had someone (or 2) sealing on Carrico all night and it looked like the Hornets D knew the blocking schemes better than the Tigers' line.

Not going to put all that on Carrico. Think he actually played really well in that game, but LaVerde had a game plan to NOT let him dominate. It was pretty evident that the Ironton O&D lines weren't expecting the battle they were in for. Kirtland had someone (or 2) sealing on Carrico all night and it looked like the Hornets D knew the blocking schemes better than the Tigers' line.
He definitely played better the 2nd quarter onward...but the long TD run Mason Sullivan had in the 1st quarter is on Carrico as he had Sullivan wrapped up and Sullivan got loose.
As far as the less than 40 yards rushing, yes Kirtland was behind the LOS all game

If you like numbers, Ironton in their 10th state championship game. Ohio started playoffs in 1972. That means the tigers are in state game 20.8% of the time. Only got whacked twice. ‘73 to Benedictine 38-13 and ‘92 to Mentor Lake Catholic 31-7. For a small town with really not much industry or wealth means an impressive feat.

If you like numbers, Ironton in their 10th state championship game. Ohio started playoffs in 1972. That means the tigers are in state game 20.8% of the time. Only got whacked twice. ‘73 to Benedictine 38-13 and ‘92 to Mentor Lake Catholic 31-7. For a small town with really not much industry or wealth means an impressive feat.
Not going to argue with youGoherd83, Ironton is a hellava team and has a very impressive history. Same can be said of Kirtland since Tiger took over...someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think his record with Kirtland is 184-17, going to championship game 8 times with 5 wins...and a 40 game winning streak going right now