Division V State Final: AP #2 Ironton (11-0) vs. AP #1 Kirtland (10-0)

Ironton or Kirtland?

• Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ironton by 7-14

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Ironton by 1-6

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Kirtland by 1-6

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Kirtland by 7-14

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 28 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh I’m not saying that at all! Sorry if I sent off the wrong feeling. All I was trying to say is that there were a couple key plays that if one thing didn’t happen, it could have been a different ballgame. Did not mean to call you out on anything!
I Don’t take you the wrong way always respectful I was just clarifying I wasn’t making an excuse like they would have won if they scored. Ironton still had a tough time getting a push at the LOS and When you run the ball a lot that isn’t a good thing.

Trust me all the passing you have seen from Ironton this year is because they have been preparing for this moment exactly. They knew last year not having a reliable passing game hurt them because it enabled Kirtland to just focus on stopping the run and it definitely hurt Ironton. I feel like through out the season this year Irontons passing offense was more prolific than last partially because they have went to the pass more but i also feel like they have more capable playmakers at reciever they just need to be better in pass protection

Trust me all the passing you have seen from Ironton this year is because they have been preparing for this moment exactly. They knew last year not having a reliable passing game hurt them because it enabled Kirtland to just focus on stopping the run and it definitely hurt Ironton. I feel like through out the season this year Irontons passing offense was more prolific than last partially because they have went to the pass more but i also feel like they have more capable playmakers at reciever they just need to be better in pass protection
I remember watching the title game on TV and seeing their QB had only a 45-50% completion percentage. I’m sure it’s only got better this season.

I remember watching the title game on TV and seeing their QB had only a 45-50% completion percentage. I’m sure it’s only got better this season.
Has not been all that great the last few weeks although they have played against some good defense it has been better throughout the year

I don't think there's any way Ironton wins unless they hit some passes. I don't think either team is going to simply run it down the other team's throat.

Ironton was down 10-0 at halftime last year I’m pretty sure the 2nd half scoring was 7-7. Ironton had ball right before halftime on the 6inch line but time ran out and they had no timeouts you would have thought kirtland won the game after that
Was there & my buddy commented “Ironton is getting out coached”. If I remember right they’d burned 2 TOs earlier for personnel/formation issues.

Was there & my buddy commented “Ironton is getting out coached”. If I remember right they’d burned 2 TOs earlier for personnel/formation issues.
Your right about using the timeouts when they didn’t need them and it came back to bite them at that moment on the goal line before half. And I’m sure Kirtland does have the coaching advantage But Pendleton did well for a 2nd year coach in his first state title Game

They are more of a running team this year. Last year the QB went to YSU so they would air it out sometimes. They have Mr Football at RB. This year they have a sophomore running back that already has an offer to Arkansas and Cincinnati. THe only had three carries last week. The QB this year is just a sophomore. What Kirtland will see is not what they will see on film from the last couple weeks.

They are more of a running team this year. Last year the QB went to YSU so they would air it out sometimes. They have Mr Football at RB. This year they have a sophomore running back that already has an offer to Arkansas and Cincinnati. THe only had three carries last week. The QB this year is just a sophomore. What Kirtland will see is not what they will see on film from the last couple weeks.
To be fair though the QB from last year went to play safety I think the QB now just doesn’t have the experience as this is his first year starting. But I’m pretty sure ironton has thrown the ball more this year than last they would rather run but definitely more passing this year

Irontons #24 Ashton Duncan has a Marshall university offer
and #2 sophomore has Arkansas Cincinnati Pitt Toledo West Virginia offers ranked top 75 in 2023 class

28 is my vote for Mr. Football hands down. His impact on both sides of the ball is second to none. He’s going to make an impact at the next level in a few years, I have no doubt about that. I expect the sophomore to take on a larger role in the game this year. Kirtland will have its hands full for sure. But I expect both teams are going to be fired up for the challenge.

Not to rip on a kid on a public forum - but, frankly, I'm guessing that one reason for the sophomore not getting more touches last week is that he has had a lot trouble holding on the ball this year and especially lately. *Yes - I know another reason is the coach may have just decided to ride his horse more.

Not to rip on a kid on a public forum - but, frankly, I'm guessing that one reason for the sophomore not getting more touches last week is that he has had a lot trouble holding on the ball this year and especially lately. *Yes - I know another reason is the coach may have just decided to ride his horse more.
If you can't hang on to the football, you shouldn't be playing. plain and simple

Much respect for Both teams but Ironton wins in overtime . Kirtland won by 10 last year. Irontons kicker missed a field goal and kirtland stopped Ironton on the one right before halftime. If Ironton converts those 2 plays it’s a tie ball game. 2 great coaches,2 great programs battling it out for a championship. Can’t wait until Saturday. Respect for both teams they deserve it.

Ironton is making its 10th appearance in the title game

2020 Ironton Kirtland at Obetz
2019 Kirtland 17 Ironton 7 at Canton HOF
1999 Sandusky Perkins 16 Ironton 14 at Massillon
1993 Waueson 13 Ironton 10 at Massillon
1992 Mentor Lake Catholic 31 Ironton 7 at Massillon
1989 Ironton 12 Campbell Memorial 7 at Ohio State
1988 Akron SVSM 14 Ironton 12 at Ohio State
1982 Akron SVSM 21 Ironton 14 at Ohio State
1979 Ironton 7 Akron SVSM 6 at Akron Rubber Bowl
1972 Cleveland Benedictine 38 Ironton 13 at Massillon

I was at the 1999 State Championship game where Perkins beat Ironton. That game really should've been a state championship win for Ironton. If the coach makes the proper decision to punt, that game ends 14-10. It was a wild game to see in person. Unfortunately, my dad and I were walking to the car to beat traffic thinking Ironton had it in the bag. We could hear the Perkins crowd go crazy while we were in the parking lot. We knew something wild happened. Essentially Ironton led 14-10 and had the ball on their own 29 yard line. It was 4th down and 1, under 1:30 to play, and Perkins had no timeouts. Ironton's coach went for it, they got stuffed, and two plays later Perkins threw a 29 yard TD pass with :46 left to play to win the game.

Or perhaps they aren’t as good as the pen and paper says they are. There’s only one true proven D1 player on that team right now. The other player or players may have potential but that doesn’t mean they are.

I was at the 1999 State Championship game where Perkins beat Ironton. That game really should've been a state championship win for Ironton. If the coach makes the proper decision to punt, that game ends 14-10. It was a wild game to see in person. Unfortunately, my dad and I were walking to the car to beat traffic thinking Ironton had it in the bag. We could hear the Perkins crowd go crazy while we were in the parking lot. We knew something wild happened. Essentially Ironton led 14-10 and had the ball on their own 29 yard line. It was 4th down and 1, under 1:30 to play, and Perkins had no timeouts. Ironton's coach went for it, they got stuffed, and two plays later Perkins threw a 29 yard TD pass with :46 left to play to win the game.
Wow. I understand that if you get it then you almost assuredly win the game, but man you have to think of the worst case scenario of not getting that 4th down. You give them the ultimate opportunity right at the door step.

In the opposing team's territory yeah, midfield maybe, but at your own 29? Wow, i bet it haunts that coach!

Let me add to this. I talked about respect for K-land. While I’m not all that familiar with Ironton as well as I am K-land, I do respect their team. I just believe K-land is in a league of their own in D5 when it comes to work ethic, preparation and execution. Not saying Ironton doesn’t work hard, I just believe K-land is unrivaled when it comes to that and it shows week in and week out, thus the 40 game streak, not losing in 3 years and LaVerde’s 184-17 record. It is almost impossible to match their intensity. I wish Ironton all the best in this game but they gotta play cleaner and better. You can’t make mistakes and overcome them vs this team. 3 fumbles last week and multiple fumbles games before that and I think that is an issue. That’s another reason I went K-land 15+. You guys are more physical than Roger Bacon and I see them coughing it up. I can 100% guarantee if you fumble 3 times in this one, you will go home runners up.
2 marquee games this week...I'm excited for both...

#1 LB in the country against LaVerdes unstoppable ground gobbling machine..

That alone is worth 10 bucks..

I was there in 99 also and I could not believe they did that but it reminded me of a title game I saw 6 years earlier. Coincidentally that same day in 93 I also saw Ironton lose another title game in a crushing manner when the Tigers roughed the Wauseon placekicker after he missed a FG with no time left in a 10-10 tie. Given another chance after the penalty, with 0:00 on the game clock, he came through and Wauseon won 13-10.

In the game that followed Wauseon-Ironton there was another coaching decision that was every bit as questionable as Ironton's in 99 but the team bailed the coach out and won in OT. Steubenville Catholic Central had a 4th and 1 on their own 19 with 43 seconds to go in the game and a 14-7 lead. For some reason SCC went for it, got stuffed and Liberty Center took over on the SCC 19 with 38 seconds left. They scored the tying TD & PAT with 13 seconds left. Fortunately for SCC they kicked a FG in the OT and then LC fumbled a snap with SCC recovering to win 17-14.

IIRC in that 99 game the Tigers also got stuffed on 3rd down before they decided to go for it on 4th. After that play I thought sure they would punt but they didn't and Perkins stuffed them again.

Wow. I understand that if you get it then you almost assuredly win the game, but man you have to think of the worst case scenario of not getting that 4th down. You give them the ultimate opportunity right at the door step.

In the opposing team's territory yeah, midfield maybe, but at your own 29? Wow, i bet it haunts that coach!
Im not sure if it haunts him it probably does but i know that and the Wauseon game are two that people around here talk about a lot. I believe the year the played jurevicous in the state game i believe they played randy moss that year also i was only 2 then so im not sure

Or perhaps they aren’t as good as the pen and paper says they are. There’s only one true proven D1 player on that team right now. The other player or players may have potential but that doesn’t mean they are.
I just think there is not a large enough sample size to discredit him yet only a sophomore and has SEC BIG12 and An ACC offer somebody must see something in him

The Jacob Long kid who transferred from Ironton to Hamilton Township who went to WVU is kind of who #2 reminds me of from ironton about the same size 6'1 195 and both have good speed long was a little faster but Carter still has 2 years to grow and get better under this coaching staff

I just think there is not a large enough sample size to discredit him yet only a sophomore and has SEC BIG12 and An ACC offer somebody must see something in him

Probably not. It’s like having a kid in basketball that is 6’10 and looks the part but hasn’t proved he can hang with others in that class.