Division V State Final: AP #2 Ironton (11-0) vs. AP #1 Kirtland (10-0)

Ironton or Kirtland?

• Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ironton by 7-14

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Ironton by 1-6

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Kirtland by 1-6

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Kirtland by 7-14

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 28 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pretty much a repeat of last year's game. Kirtland just has IT. Coach LaVerde has built a powerhouse. Makes me wonder how hard he is pursued by other schools for their openings.

I like following them and Coldwater each year. Both teams are pure class, well coached, and their fans aren't arrogant like some successful programs.

Kirtland 20
Ironton 7

I like Kirtland in this one. Kirtland hasn’t lost in what? 3 years? There’s no reason for me to think they do now. I’m not all that familiar with Ironton but I am with Kirtland and I know they beat this team last year also. Seems Ironton has butterfingers after reading the Roger Bacon and Ironton thread. 28-10 K-land

Should be a very good game. I like Ironton because of their physicality and stopping Kiner like they did shows me they have depth on defense that maybe Kirtland hasn't seen. Carrico is a beast.
Ironton 27
Kirtland 24

from top to bottom... Kirtland is physical as they get and 1 person doesn’t make a TEAM.

Hornets will represent their community for 4 quarters!!!

Good luck ironton. I’ve been saying that irontons team last year was better than this year, in fact I thought that they were better than Kirtland. Maybe ironton can return the favor of the upset.

I still don't think anyone comes within 2 scores of Kirtland. SR was probably the best offense Kirtland will play. Ironton will be the best defense. I'll say Kirtland 28-14 -- two points closer than what they did to Mentor Lake Catholic. Ironton is a really good team, but Kirtland is a different animal.

Except for a slip by a DB, Kirtland would have shut out Ironton last year. My prediction for this year is Kirtland 31 Ironton 0

Last edited:
I don't have a horse in this race, but was at the Ironton v RB game last night and Ironton barely escaped with that win. Imo, they play like that against Kirtland, they'll get crushed. 3 fumbles lost and well over 100yds in penalties won't win many games period. Ironton better clean it up.

I don't have a horse in this race, but was at the Ironton v RB game last night and Ironton barely escaped with that win. Imo, they play like that against Kirtland, they'll get crushed. 3 fumbles lost and well over 100yds in penalties won't win many games period. Ironton better clean it up.
Well everyone knew D5 was Ironton vs Kirtland. Both teams had games where they struggled with average teams since they knew it’s an easy path to the state finals

Well everyone knew D5 was Ironton vs Kirtland. Both teams had games where they struggled with average teams since they knew it’s an easy path to the state finals

No we didn't. Ironton barely escaped beating Ridgewood who was missing their QB who easily the best QB in DV. Kirtland by two tds at least.

Ironton, in my opinion, needs a trifecta to have a chance at winning.
1) Play more disciplined ball minus the multitude of penalties.
2) Stop turning the ball over.
3) Figure out a way to score points in a title game.
In their state championship games, they have had trouble on offense...
1973 - 13 points
1979 - 7 points
1982 - 14 points
1988 - 12 points
1989 - 12 points
1992 - 13 points
1993 - 10 points
1999 - 14 points
2018 - 7 points
I know the previous teams have absolutely no influence on this year's team. Just a little historical perspective...

There is nobody close at this level that is more physical then Kirtland. The Hornets do not beat teams - they beat them up. They have played D1 schools this year and left them limping off the field. Ask Lake Catholic if Kirtland is physical - they destroyed them. Kirtland by 14+

If there is anyone in D5 that can match Kirtland's physicality, it is Ironton. Teams often take on the mindset of their coach. Pendleton was one tough sucker when he played for Portsmouth West & Michigan State. Kirtland may very well win. But, they won't beat them up, in my opinion.

IMO...these teams play ten times, each team wins 5 times. Both teams had to grind out wins in the semis, but Ironton had the harder road to the title.

Going through Harvest Prep, Ridgewood, & Roger Bacon in three straight weeks can be physically and mentally tolling.

Something that stands out to me that hasn’t been mentioned yet is that even though Ironton makes occasional silly mistakes, they still churn out victories. I don’t think Kirtland has made as many silly mistakes, but then again, Ironton’s had the harder road in the playoffs.

Ironton’s been salivating at the chance to play the Hornets again, so that will play a role come Saturday. But the Hornets want to keep their run going. I would have never thought Kirtland would reach a 40 game winning streak, but here we are.

Kirtland also desperately wants to get a monkey off their back that’s glaring to some in the Kirtland community...the previous two rematches in title games (2012 vs. Coldwater & 2017 vs. Marion Local), the Hornets lost by 1 & 23 points respectively.

With that being said, Ironton hasn’t won since 89. The power of 9’s didn’t work, so perhaps it’s the beginning of a decade of dominance for the Fighting Tigers.

This is the only rematch in the state and for good reason. Both teams deserve to be here & I can’t wait for Saturday afternoon. Both teams return their best player, but each supporting cast will be different.

Three things this game will come down to......
1.) Penalties (each team has had silly penalties leading up to this point)
2.) Turnovers (I expect any turnovers in this game, the other team will score points off of them)
3.) Supporting Casts (each team will key in on the other’s best player in some way, so whichever supporting cast makes more plays will win)

Wishing good luck & good health to both sides. Love how Trevon Pendleton has rejuvenated the Ironton culture.

IMO...these teams play ten times, each team wins 5 times. Both teams had to grind out wins in the semis, but Ironton had the harder road to the title.

Going through Harvest Prep, Ridgewood, & Roger Bacon in three straight weeks can be physically and mentally tolling.

Something that stands out to me that hasn’t been mentioned yet is that even though Ironton makes occasional silly mistakes, they still churn out victories. I don’t think Kirtland has made as many silly mistakes, but then again, Ironton’s had the harder road in the playoffs.

Ironton’s been salivating at the chance to play the Hornets again, so that will play a role come Saturday. But the Hornets want to keep their run going. I would have never thought Kirtland would reach a 40 game winning streak, but here we are.

Kirtland also desperately wants to get a monkey off their back that’s glaring to some in the Kirtland community...the previous two rematches in title games (2012 vs. Coldwater & 2017 vs. Marion Local), the Hornets lost by 1 & 23 points respectively.

With that being said, Ironton hasn’t won since 89. The power of 9’s didn’t work, so perhaps it’s the beginning of a decade of dominance for the Fighting Tigers.

This is the only rematch in the state and for good reason. Both teams deserve to be here & I can’t wait for Saturday afternoon. Both teams return their best player, but each supporting cast will be different.

Three things this game will come down to......
1.) Penalties (each team has had silly penalties leading up to this point)
2.) Turnovers (I expect any turnovers in this game, the other team will score points off of them)
3.) Supporting Casts (each team will key in on the other’s best player in some way, so whichever supporting cast makes more plays will win)

Wishing good luck & good health to both sides. Love how Trevon Pendleton has rejuvenated the Ironton culture.
Always post something fair and not negative i respect you for that. Im glad you understand Ironton must be decent if they have not played to their potential recently and still made it to the championship game

Always post something fair and not negative i respect you for that. Im glad you understand Ironton must be decent if they have not played to their potential recently and still made it to the championship game
Believe me...Ironton is more than decent. They’re an outstanding team. Them not playing up to their potential is equivalent to a lot of teams’ A+ game.

Same goes for Kirtland. I would even say Ironton probably has more talent than Kirtland. But it’s all about putting things together on one given day inside a 120x53 yard rectangle.

If there is anyone in D5 that can match Kirtland's physicality, it is Ironton. Teams often take on the mindset of their coach. Pendleton was one tough sucker when he played for Portsmouth West & Michigan State. Kirtland may very well win. But, they won't beat them up, in my opinion.
Don't disagree, but Ironton tried to "out tough" Kirtland last year and it didn't work out too well.

Should be a very good game. I like Ironton because of their physicality and stopping Kiner like they did shows me they have depth on defense that maybe Kirtland hasn't seen. Carrico is a beast.
Ironton 27
Kirtland 24
Kirtland saw Ironton's D last year and won even with their #1 RB gimpy. They saw the D4 state finalist Mentor Lake Catholic on the road in Wk 1 this year and beat them by 16. If Ironton has an edge in this game it's with the # of D1 recruits they can suit up and that's about it. The Tigers never let Kirtland pull away last year, but they really had no answers on offense.

OHSAA would do well to get Home City Ice to sponsor this game and park trucks around the stadium because there's going to be lots of sore folks afterwards.

Kirtland saw Ironton's D last year and won even with their #1 RB gimpy. They saw the D4 state finalist Mentor Lake Catholic on the road in Wk 1 this year and beat them by 16. If Ironton has an edge in this game it's with the # of D1 recruits they can suit up and that's about it. The Tigers never let Kirtland pull away last year, but they really had no answers on offense.

OHSAA would do well to get Home City Ice to sponsor this game and park trucks around the stadium because there's going to be lots of sore folks afterwards.

Ironton was the better team last year. Ironton doesn't have the depth this year so that may affect them towards the end.