Division V State Championship: Kirtland (14-0) vs. Ironton (13-1)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Kirtland by 8-14

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Ironton by 1-7

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Ironton by 8-14

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
I see that Kirtland runs the Wing-T mostly out of the tight formation. There are a few effective passes out of that offense. At one point in my life I coached it. Is there a FB or TE Waggle, Arch motion R/L Sprint pass, just an old fashion TE play action quick pass?
Honestly I’ve never thought of that. I think you’re right about a wing t. I played against Chardon in the late 90s but it had a different look to the wing t. Probably the TE formation.....

How is Ironton on the lines size wise??
Ironton Offense
SE 29 Jordan Grizzle 5-10 190 Sr.
25 Collin Freeman 6-00 170 Sr.
LT 78 Ryan Cecil 6-01 270 So.
LG 70 Riley Boggs 6-02 260 So.
C 63 Rocky White 5-11 235 Jr.
57 Caden McFann 5-11 250 Sr.
RG 52 Matthew Davis 6-00 210 Jr.
RT 79 Noah Davidson 6-05 315 Sr.
TE 24 Ashton Duncan 6-02 205 So.
WR 20 Kyle Howell 5-10 170 Jr.
10 Trent Hacker 6-02 175 Jr.
QB 7 Gage Salyers 6-01 205 Sr.
HB 44 Seth Fosson 6-01 235 Sr.
FB 2 Jr. Jones 6'- 240 Sr.
TB 28 Reid Carrico 6-03 225 Jr.

I would have thought that Ironton ran something like a full house, but after seeing a few highlights from last week, it looks more like pro-I & wing-T sets with occasional twins & trips...both teams played good schedules heading into this game & both teams have VERY stingy defenses. Hoping this one of the closer games of the weekend!

They do run those, but now that the weather isn't that favorable they've ran double tight Wishbone and Power I sets.

They do run those, but now that the weather isn't that favorable they've ran double tight Wishbone and Power I sets.
Fun! Someone said earlier that they should put this game to NFL Films music and I completely agree. There won’t be any 5-wide, spread, RPO, etc. It’ll be good ole fashioned power offense going both ways. You’ve got to love it!

Congratulations to both sides on excellent seasons to this point! Here’s who made All-Ohio for both sides:

Ironton Fighting Tigers
DPOY: Reid Carrico‬ (LB)
‪1st Team: Seth Fosson (DL), Reid Carrico‬ (LB)
‪2nd Team: Gage Salyers (QB), Avery Book‬ (K)
‪3rd Team: Junior Jones‬ (DL)
HM: Noah Davidson (OL), Cameron Deere‬ (LB)

Kirtland Hornets
‪1st Team
: Mason Sullivan (RB), Michael Alfieri (OL), Kaleb Stephenson (LB)
‪2nd Team: Kristian Grman (OL), Mario Rodin (K), Mike Rus (DL), Louie Loncar (LB)
‪3rd Team: Luke Gardner (RB), Joey Grazia (DB)

It would Indeed be GREAT to see The Ironton Tigers get that
Trophy Back to the Ohio River. Unreal Football Town with
the Iconic Tank Stadium as there Home. Should be a Fantastic
game. Go Tigers

Kirtland as of late has been an extremely well coached program. It seems they run a handful of plays to perfection when it comes to execution and results.

However.....Kirtland's strength is their running game. Ironton's strength is stopping the run.

For you northerners- Google Bob Lutz. He is the current winningest coach in Ohio high school football history. For those of you who were able to watch Ironton football back in the 80s and 90s (and even the first part of this century) you saw Lutz run 8 or 10 plays offensively. All of those plays were ran to absolute perfection. If you couldnt stop a 42 power he would run it until you did. He certainly wouldnt stop it for you.

This Kirtland team reminds me a lot of how Ironton used to run the ball (and still can, but this Ironton team is a little more versatile). They run the same handful of plays to perfection.

In a lot of years of watching high school football I dont know if I have ever seen a defense play so mean and nasty against the run. That is how good Ironton's run defense is this year. And there really isnt a soft spot for Kirtland to run at with this defense. They all play with the same level of aggression.

This wont be a game of trickery. It will come down to which team has the most heart, which team is willing to sacrifice their bodies to stop plays and help their team win.

I can tell you that I am not an Ironton alum, just a fan of southeastern Ohio football in general. I do know the coach Trevon Pendleton rather well. I watched him play in high school. He played with heart and grit and he never took a play off.

Its not surprising that in 2 short seasons he has his players playing with the same personality he played with in high school and at Michigan State.

Having said all that, mental mistakes and turnovers will decide this game.

I will take Ironton 24-17. I think as the game goes on those big backs from Ironton will start eating away at Kirtland's defense and it seems that Ironton's physical play on defense just gets nastier as the game goes on.

The only thing that has slowed Ironton down this year has been holding onto the football. With zero turnovers I could see them winning this game by 10+. That is not taking anything away from Kirtland, its just most teams dont realize how physical Ironton plays until they have punched you in the mouth over and over and in the 3rd and 4th quarter, those opposing defensive players are tired of being drilled.

Kirtland as of late has been an extremely well coached program. It seems they run a handful of plays to perfection when it comes to execution and results.

However.....Kirtland's strength is their running game. Ironton's strength is stopping the run.

For you northerners- Google Bob Lutz. He is the current winningest coach in Ohio high school football history. For those of you who were able to watch Ironton football back in the 80s and 90s (and even the first part of this century) you saw Lutz run 8 or 10 plays offensively. All of those plays were ran to absolute perfection. If you couldnt stop a 42 power he would run it until you did. He certainly wouldnt stop it for you.

This Kirtland team reminds me a lot of how Ironton used to run the ball (and still can, but this Ironton team is a little more versatile). They run the same handful of plays to perfection.

In a lot of years of watching high school football I dont know if I have ever seen a defense play so mean and nasty against the run. That is how good Ironton's run defense is this year. And there really isnt a soft spot for Kirtland to run at with this defense. They all play with the same level of aggression.

This wont be a game of trickery. It will come down to which team has the most heart, which team is willing to sacrifice their bodies to stop plays and help their team win.

I can tell you that I am not an Ironton alum, just a fan of southeastern Ohio football in general. I do know the coach Trevon Pendleton rather well. I watched him play in high school. He played with heart and grit and he never took a play off.

Its not surprising that in 2 short seasons he has his players playing with the same personality he played with in high school and at Michigan State.

Having said all that, mental mistakes and turnovers will decide this game.

I will take Ironton 24-17. I think as the game goes on those big backs from Ironton will start eating away at Kirtland's defense and it seems that Ironton's physical play on defense just gets nastier as the game goes on.

The only thing that has slowed Ironton down this year has been holding onto the football. With zero turnovers I could see them winning this game by 10+. That is not taking anything away from Kirtland, its just most teams dont realize how physical Ironton plays until they have punched you in the mouth over and over and in the 3rd and 4th quarter, those opposing defensive players are tired of being drilled.
This just made me look forward to this Saturday night even more (in a good way)!

Funny thing is that Kirtland beat Manchester a few weeks back who was led by Jim France (who passed Bob Lutz not too long ago for most wins in the state) and Ethan Wright (a D1 commit).

Sounds to me like this Ironton team has out-physicaled and beaten every team at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball since their week 3 loss. Also sounds like they have a defense that flies to the ball, doesn’t miss tackles, and could make most offenses in the state underperform.

I also agree with your analysis in that whoever makes the most stops, plays with the most heart, and makes the least amount of mistakes should win.

Kirtland’s also been known to wear down their opponents by residing with the ground and pound since their dynasty began (with the exception of the MAC schools such as Coldwater, Minster, & Marion Local and Mogadore too).

Against Oak Harbor last week, I could see a lot of Rocket defenders with hands on their hips and a couple of times taking a little longer than usual to get up from the turf. Not to say that they weren’t physically prepared because they played hard the whole game...I just mean that they probably wore down for the first time all year. It doesn’t sound to me like Ironton is going to wear down at all which will pose an interesting challenge to the Kirtland offense.

I said earlier in the week that this will be a battle of attrition. Whoever has the most capable bodies left and whoever doesn’t tire first will most likely win this one. Two of the most physical teams in the state going toe-to-toe battling in a game of inches! Can’t wait for Saturday!

This just made me look forward to this Saturday night even more (in a good way)!

Funny thing is that Kirtland beat Manchester a few weeks back who was led by Jim France (who passed Bob Lutz not too long ago for most wins in the state) and Ethan Wright (a D1 commit).

Sounds to me like this Ironton team has out-physicaled and beaten every team at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball since their week 3 loss. Also sounds like they have a defense that flies to the ball, doesn’t miss tackles, and could make most offenses in the state underperform.

I also agree with your analysis in that whoever makes the most stops, plays with the most heart, and makes the least amount of mistakes should win.

Kirtland’s also been known to wear down their opponents by residing with the ground and pound since their dynasty began (with the exception of the MAC schools such as Coldwater, Minster, & Marion Local and Mogadore too).

Against Oak Harbor last week, I could see a lot of Rocket defenders with hands on their hips and a couple of times taking a little longer than usual to get up from the turf. Not to say that they weren’t physically prepared because they played hard the whole game...I just mean that they probably wore down for the first time all year. It doesn’t sound to me like Ironton is going to wear down at all which will pose an interesting challenge to the Kirtland offense.

I said earlier in the week that this will be a battle of attrition. Whoever has the most capable bodies left and whoever doesn’t tire first will most likely win this one. Two of the most physical teams in the state going toe-to-toe battling in a game of inches! Can’t wait for Saturday!

You are correct. I think these 2 teams could play with anyone in the state D3 and up in terms of physicality. From what I know about the MAC, they are also very gritty, physical football teams that line it up and smash it down your throat. I know Coldwater ran a wing t for years.....probably still do. Misdirection and smash mouth football. That is why the MAC normally wins a state title every year.

Both defenses will know what to expect. It will come down to which team is tougher.....mentally and physically. Those hits take their toll in big games. The same play going for 2-3 yards in the first quarter will be popping for 6-10 yards in the 4th.

In a few short days we will see which team that will be.

I have only watched Ironton twice this year but I am truly impressed with Reid Carrico (obviously a big name right now in Ohio since he is an OSU commit) and Junior Jones. Truth be known Junior Jones might be the best defensive player on the team.

Turnovers and mental mistakes. Thats what those hits will cause. It will be interesting to see which of these 2 teams can handle it and who cant.

I think Ironton has the most talent, even though it is very close. Kirtland has been here before so that is major advantage.

Looking forward to this one!

Just saw a story on the news about the Kirtland Band raising funds to give to the Ironton Band so they could play at the state championship game. The story said that the arrangements for the buses couldn't be done in time, so Ironton had to send the money back. But, the Ironton schools decided to pony up the money so the band could attend. No judgment here, but kudos to the Kirtland Band for this gracious gesture.

At what time is this game on Sat? I’m a Marion and MAC fan and I want to tune in. Kirtland has been a great opponent of MAC teams, and Carrico is a true talent who could be the difference.

At what time is this game on Sat? I’m a Marion and MAC fan and I want to tune in. Kirtland has been a great opponent of MAC teams, and Carrico is a true talent who could be the difference.

Raider6309 posted Ironton's roster above ^^^
Ironton has a clear size advantage in this one in my opinion. If they’re just as fast as Kirtland, the Hornets may have to execute to perfection against the Tiger’s vaunted run defense which is a daunting task. Will certainly be interesting to see who wins the line of scrimmage on both sides on Saturday.

Tradition wise, this is one of the more history filled state championship games. Perhaps a little more recent for Kirtland but Ironton is filled with playoff pedigree. I'm excited to see how it plays out. In the end, Kirtland has solidified itself as a team you can rely on and a coach you can rely on, similar to other schools their size from the MAC. I'll go with:

Kirtland 21
Ironton 14

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
Congrats to both schools but I'm bias. I played with they guys from the 2000 team that lost at state. Football is a way of life I'm Ironton. It's all we have. These boys will give everything they have for the Orange and Black. GO Tigers!

Ironton has a clear size advantage in this one in my opinion. If they’re just as fast as Kirtland, the Hornets may have to execute to perfection against the Tiger’s vaunted run defense which is a daunting task. Will certainly be interesting to see who wins the line of scrimmage on both sides on Saturday.
The Fighting Tigers have size and don’t lack in speed, they can get after it. This will be a great game, no blowout by either side.

Ironton 17-14

First off I'm a Kirtland fan. I've watched this amazing run of Hornet teams make it to the Finals and while this team is probably the smallest in size (weight) they've had it's by far the most athletic. While I don't know much about Ironton other than it's history prior to the year 2000 I'm going with Kirtland 28-14. If Ironton can somehow dominate physically then my hats off to them. Marion Local a few years back was the only team other than in the late 2000's when Ursuline was king that pushed Kirtland around. Prove me wrong but the only way this Hornets team doesn't win is if they can't hold onto the ball. Good luck to both teams, I can't wait for the game!

The Fighting Tigers have size and don’t lack in speed, they can get after it. This will be a great game, no blowout by either side.

Ironton 17-14

I’m not sure the Tigers have seen a
defense as fast as Kirtland’s.
Ironton also has more kids playing both ways? Should be s good one.
Turnovers will decide game!

When Ironton played Ashland, Ky, they turned the ball over 3 times, I believe. If not for those, they win by a couple TDs. Also the had a couple stupid personal fouls. They were absolutely laying the wood on D, and Carrico was as good as advertised.

I know nothing of Kirtland other than what I’ve read online and here. I’ll be listening and hoping for as an exciting game as Mansfield and Trotwood gave us.