Division V State Championship: Kirtland (14-0) vs. Ironton (13-1)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Kirtland by 8-14

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Ironton by 1-7

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Ironton by 8-14

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

I can’t wait for Saturday night! Two storied programs, both playing smashmouth football. In my opinion, Kirtland wore down Oak Harbor and could’ve had another score or two, but missed a FG & kneeled it out. Sounds like Ironton wore down West Jefferson as the night went on, so to me...Saturday is a War of Attrition.

I know that Ironton has Carrico as their marquee talent, but the Fighting Tigers are so much more than one player. They have a ton of great athletes all over the field and so does Kirtland.

My only question to Ironton fans is why they are not also undefeated? They seem to have a complete wrecking ball of a team coming into this matchup...so what exactly caused them to lose to Ashland Blazer (KY)?

Again...looking forward to a hard-hitting battle on Saturday between the two best teams in D5!

This should be a real head knocker. I will go with K 21 - Ironton 14. The OSU recruit for Ironton will have an oppurtunity to rack up alot of tackles in this game.

I can’t wait for Saturday night! Two storied programs, both playing smashmouth football. In my opinion, Kirtland wore down Oak Harbor and could’ve had another score or two, but missed a FG & kneeled it out. Sounds like Ironton wore down West Jefferson as the night went on, so to me...Saturday is a War of Attrition.

I know that Ironton has Carrico as their marquee talent, but the Fighting Tigers are so much more than one player. They have a ton of great athletes all over the field and so does Kirtland.

My only question to Ironton fans is why they are not also undefeated? They seem to have a complete wrecking ball of a team coming into this matchup...so what exactly caused them to lose to Ashland Blazer (KY)?

Again...looking forward to a hard-hitting battle on Saturday between the two best teams in D5!
Got the big head. Ashland just lost to a team that Ironton put a running clock on and it was in Kentucky. That game was Ashland's super bowl. Ironton also wasn't clicking at the beginning of the season. They had a lot of new pieces and Ironton had 4 turnovers. That lost was the best thing that happened to Ironton

Got the big head. Ashland just lost to a team that Ironton put a running clock on and it was in Kentucky. That game was Ashland's super bowl. Ironton also wasn't clicking at the beginning of the season. They had a lot of new pieces and Ironton had 4 turnovers. That lost was the best thing that happened to Ironton
Fair. Reminds me of 2015 when Kirtland got upset by Grand Valley. Albeit that team wasn’t supposed to make it that far in the first place, but that loss fueled them the rest of the season and beat a Marion Local team in the final who was riding a 24 game playoff winning streak.

Sounds to me like Ironton is clicking on all cylinders which should make this one of the best battles of the weekend.

This should be a real head knocker. I will go with K 21 - Ironton 14. The OSU recruit for Ironton will have an oppurtunity to rack up alot of tackles in this game.
I am really impressed with carrico, he is a beast. What else drives Ironton’s offensive, you have scored a ton, is it mainly carrico on the ground?

I am really impressed with carrico, he is a beast. What else drives Ironton’s offensive, you have scored a ton, is it mainly carrico on the ground?
If I’m not mistaken, they have Salyers, Fosson, & Carrico on the ground & a straight-up MEAN offensive line. They don’t only do it on the ground either...I hear Salyers can throw a great football too. It’s going to be a great battle with a lot of great athletes on the field.

If I’m not mistaken, they have Salyers, Fosson, & Carrico on the ground & a straight-up MEAN offensive line. They don’t only do it on the ground either...I hear Salyers can throw a great football too. It’s going to be a great battle with a lot of great athletes on the field.
Salyers is pretty good. He’s committed to Youngstown State. Can Kirtland spread it out? Ironton basically shut out West Jeff’s running attack.

Ironton Offense
SE 29 Jordan Grizzle 5-10 190 Sr.
25 Collin Freeman 6-00 170 Sr.
LT 78 Ryan Cecil 6-01 270 So.
LG 70 Riley Boggs 6-02 260 So.
C 63 Rocky White 5-11 235 Jr.
57 Caden McFann 5-11 250 Sr.
RG 52 Matthew Davis 6-00 210 Jr.
RT 79 Noah Davidson 6-05 315 Sr.
TE 24 Ashton Duncan 6-02 205 So.
WR 20 Kyle Howell 5-10 170 Jr.
10 Trent Hacker 6-02 175 Jr.
QB 7 Gage Salyers 6-01 205 Sr.
FB 44 Seth Fosson 6-01 235 Sr.
30 Cameron Deere 5-11 185 Jr.
TB 28 Reid Carrico 6-03 225 Jr.
PK 12 Avery Book 5-11 180 Sr.

Ironton Defense
DE 36 Gunnar Crawford 5-10 225 Jr.
33 Dalton Crabtree 5-10 190 Jr.
DT 2 Junior Jones 6-00 240 Sr.
DT 76 Nate Cochran 6-02 250 So.
DE 44 Seth Fosson 6-01 235 Sr.
LB 28 Reid Carrico 6-03 225 Jr.
LB 30 Cameron Deere 5-11 185 Jr.
CB 29 Jordan Grizzle 5-10 190 Sr.
10 Trent Hacker 6-02 175 Jr.
CB 25 Collin Freeman 6-00 170 Sr.
S 7 Gage Salyers 6-01 205 Sr.
S 20 Kyle Howell 5-10 170 Jr.
P 12 Avery Book 5-11 180 Sr.

Salyers is pretty good. He’s committed to Youngstown State. Can Kirtland spread it out? Ironton basically shut out West Jeff’s running attack.
I would say so. Not going to put up 200 passing yards or anything like that, but they could pass if there’s absolutely no chance at running the ball.

K
No spread. Kirtland will run the ball 90% of the time. They do have a decent QB and throw only when they really need too.

We went over to Ashland Ky and had multiple touchdowns called back. Honestly we should’ve won that game but the refs threw so many ghost flags. The fact of the matter is we lost in double overtime That loss fired this team up and they’ve been playing smash mouth football since. Both teams Kirtland and Ironton are very good and this should be a defensive heavyweight bout. I think Ironton wins but this game will be close.

I see that Kirtland runs the Wing-T mostly out of the tight formation. There are a few effective passes out of that offense. At one point in my life I coached it. Is there a FB or TE Waggle, Arch motion R/L Sprint pass, just an old fashion TE play action quick pass?

We went over to Ashland Ky and had multiple touchdowns called back. Honestly we should’ve won that game but the refs threw so many ghost flags. The fact of the matter is we lost in double overtime That loss fired this team up and they’ve been playing smash mouth football since. Both teams Kirtland and Ironton are very good and this should be a defensive heavyweight bout. I think Ironton wins but this game will be close.
How is Ironton on the lines size wise??